Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2013, 10:41 PM
KnightofBoston
Mnt. Carlo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
I think he and Smith look very good on the third line, but I wouldn't mind Yeti getting a look with Bergeron and Loui, and swapping Marchand back to the third line. Might jump start 63 and I feel like Yeti has the ability to play Top 6.
Dont see it happening until he starts scoring a lot, even then i could see claude keeping it status quo if both lines are scoring

Old
11-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Sea Bass Neely

A reasonable number of people have discussed the 2nd line -- and yes it is still early and they are showing signs of clicking -- being somewhat redundant skillset-wise.

The logical [top-6] shake-up would be switching Iggy with Eriksson. Based on what i've seen of their games, a Looch-Krejci-Eriksson line and a Marchy-Bergy-Iggy line combination seems more balanced and in theory might be the best way moving forward.

With the start Lucic is having, as good as i've seen him skate -- scoring huge goals left and right -- and by extension that entire "KIL" line is playing too good to even think about breaking up right now.

But should they hit a wall some point mid-season, this idea of swapping Eriksson with Iggy wouldn't hurt to experiment with just a bit. I don't see the harm.

Anyhow since this is the Yeti's thread this is where i bring him in. Given that we can't do the aforementioned 2nd line shake-up because KIL line is just playing too well right now... IMO the best option for shaking up the 2nd line (this is all hypothetical, i am thinking out loud so to speak/write) would be to switch Marchand -- who had that nice goal last night set up by Bartman but otherwise is off his game big-time -- and Soderberg.

Give Soderberg some burn with higher quality linemates and see if his level of play elevates as a result. Judging from Yeti's hustle and overall solid play, this could be a possibility... instead of making these sick out-of-nowhere passes to Chris Kelly in the middle he would be passing to Bergy/Loui.

Soderberg would add some size and physicality to the line and he not only would be in a position to score more goals, but his pinpoint (and at times rather creative) passing could lead to more assists. Assists on the 2nd line means goals for Bergy and Loui.

Just throwing that out there... i started this thread awhile ago floating the same idea around. But now after seeing him recover from his high ankle sprain very nicely i am totally convinced he could be one of those players that can hang with top-6 players... so long as he is given the chance to play with them.

You never know how these things pan out until you try them. I highly doubt Soderberg could drag down Bergy's line any more than Marchand currently is.

Although to Brad's credit, he seems to be thumbing his way back, but he still looks off. I've never seen him look so indecisive and downright awful when he makes these ultra-predictable moves trying to take on the D all by himself

If anything, i can see the 2nd line start lighting it up -- as well as Soderberg himself who appears primed to really break out now that he's getting fully acclimated to the NHL/Bruins system -- if Yeti were to get a temporary promotion.

In my view, the chances are higher we see better play from the 2nd with Yeti on LW than with Marchy on LW... and Marchy is one of my favorite players he just doesn't seem to fit well with Eriksson (and i would say Bergy, but those two have shown chemistry in the past).

Another dimension to this is the Swedish connection, two Swedes centered by Bergy. Soderberg's English is not very good and it's within the realm of possibilities that the two countrymen could develop solid chemistry rather quickly.

It would make on-ice communication easier for Yeti, that's for sure. Anyhow just tossing that idea around. I really think this year, aside from Smith actually making the team and contributing, Soderberg has been one of the most pleasant surprises. He is faster than i remember, he's physical, just an awesome passer (almost to a fault), and he crashes the net like a man possessed. Too bad Kelly is always bobbling his passes...

Looch i suppose is the most pleasant surprise, but it's not quite as surprising because he is already an NHL stud, coming off a bad year, but we know what he's got. Yeti was a wild-card, and talk about a bargain contract... he makes less than Thornton does!!!!

Old
11-16-2013, 11:09 PM
Sea Bass Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Dont see it happening until he starts scoring a lot, even then i could see claude keeping it status quo if both lines are scoring
But if he starts on a scoring streak then it DEFINITELY won't happen because Julien will see no reason to mess with the 3rd line. I think Soderberg's production would/will soar at a much higher rate if Clode lets him play with top-6 guys (2nd line).

I can't see him swapping spots with Marchand hurting the 2nd line... Marchy has been the weak link there so far but slowly improving.

It's important to remember that such "experiments" do not have to be even remotely permanent. If it doesn't produce quality results within a reasonable time-table... that's that. Simple.

Old
11-16-2013, 11:58 PM
Sam the Lion
**** the Habs

Soderberg has emerged as a real solid NHL player. I had no idea he would be this good. He is faster than I expected, and much more physical.
Could not be happier with his NHL transition.
It's almost like found money.

Old
11-17-2013, 08:04 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam the Lion View Post
Soderberg has emerged as a real solid NHL player. I had no idea he would be this good. He is faster than I expected, and much more physical.
Could not be happier with his NHL transition.
He`s looked better each game, hasn`t translated into pts but I suspect once that ankle is really feeling 100% (which I don`t think it is yet?) he`ll look better.

Really impressed with his willingness to use that frame to play with some bite

Old
11-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Over the volcano

It takes a while to internalize the system of the team. You can see him picking it up game to game. He still makes occasional mistakes, but he's definitely learning. I think he will be a force once he's comfortable in the system and feels the space where he can be aggressive. He's got a great hockey sense, is so strong on the puck and is much more physical than I expected.

Couldn't be happier with him at this point.

Did we ever have the "I was wrong I'm sorry" thread for all the posters who used to mock people for talking about yeti for all those years?

Old
11-17-2013, 08:51 AM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
He`s looked better each game, hasn`t translated into pts but I suspect once that ankle is really feeling 100% (which I don`t think it is yet?) he`ll look better.

That's the biggest shock to me. To come from a league that isn't exactly known for playing physical he has shown himself to be one of the more grittier players on this Bruins team. He throws his weight around like he's Milan freakin' Lucic out there sometimes.

Old
11-17-2013, 10:03 AM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post

As long as he is tuned up for the playoffs. I get the feeling he can/will contribute offensively on a consistent basis once he gets more comfortable. I don't see him in the top 6 (even though he just might have top 6 talent)unless somebody gets hurt or Marchand continues to struggle. I am cautiously optimistic Smith can continue to play well.The line has played reasonably well the last two games with no results,I would like to see the line get a goal or two on Monday.

Old
11-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Sea Bass Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesgilbert View Post
As long as he is tuned up for the playoffs. I get the feeling he can/will contribute offensively on a consistent basis once he gets more comfortable. I don't see him in the top 6 (even though he just might have top 6 talent)unless somebody gets hurt or Marchand continues to struggle. I am cautiously optimistic Smith can continue to play well.The line has played reasonably well the last two games with no results,I would like to see the line get a goal or two on Monday.
Given the rate Soderberg is looking more and more comfortable out there -- not only more comfortable but effective and at times one of the best Bruins on the ice -- and the way a surprisingly mature Reilly Smith has kept is level of play up (that turnover against Ottawa was the worst mistake i've seen him make all year, and it wasn't exactly an unforced turnover, it was nice pocket-pick by Bobby Ryan)... i have a feeling that at some point between the next 5-10 games that 3rd line is going to have a "coming out party" and start generating goals consistently.

Just a gut feeling... but i feel like while Chris Kelly is instrumental in that 3rd line's defensive effectiveness, sometimes i wonder if what he brings to the defensive aspect is overshadowed by what he doesn't bring offensively.

I think if Soderberg and Smith, two quality passers who need to shoot the puck more, were on a line centered by a better scorer/playmaker with better hands and offensive instincts than Kelly, IMO that S-x-S line has the potential to be a line that produces offense at a high level.

We keep talking about how impressive both Yeti and Smith have been, but it's not translating to regular scoring just yet. Maybe Kelly (as much as i like the guy's leadership and hustle) is holding back the 3rd line's offensive capabilities more so than he is helping defensively.

This is why i'd love to see them give Spooner some time when Claude thinks he, Yeti and Smith are ready to play on a line together. It's low risk and potentially very high reward. Even if the defensive prowess of the line as a whole is lowered to some degree, i think that the extra scoring ability would MORE THAN make up for the loss of Kelly on defense.

Besides, Kelly centering the 4th line and letting Thornton be the 13th man in the rotation would make for a "tastier Merlot Line". Calling up Spooner and putting Kelly with Paille and Soupy could very well mean an upgrade to BOTH bottom-6 lines.

In short, i think that -- strictly from an offensive/goal-scoring standpoint -- Kelly is actually holding back the 3rd line's productivity. Yeti in particular has made a few highlight-reel passes that Kelly either wasn't ready for or totally mishandled... turning a would-be goal into a broken play.

Frustrating to watch. Especially while they continue playing with Kelly, both Soderberg and Smith have to SHOOT THE PUCK more.

Kelly is not a guy you want to be making those fancy passes in traffic to, he should not be the trigger-man as his hands are not the greatest and he's not a goal scorer. His wingers need to realize this and just throw it on net... that mentality almost got Soderberg a game-changing goal in Ottawa if not for a pretty early whistle.

This cannot be stressed enough. Kelly had a nice start but looks like he's going into offensive slumber mode again. The way the 3rd line is playing as a whole, they should have more goals. Period.

Old
11-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam the Lion View Post
Soderberg has emerged as a real solid NHL player. I had no idea he would be this good. He is faster than I expected, and much more physical.Could not be happier with his NHL transition.
He plays a heavy game.

Old
11-18-2013, 11:42 AM
The Hockey Tonk Man

love the way he crashes the net hard on every play

Old
11-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

So can someone explain to me why Soderberg is not considered a rookie in the NHL?

He only played 6 games last season.

Old
11-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
So can someone explain to me why Soderberg is not considered a rookie in the NHL?

He's 28.

Old
11-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Shaun
best poster alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post

you can thank Sergei Makarov

Old
11-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
He's 28.
Yeah forgot about the 26 year old rule. Ah well, Krug is one point away from 2nd in the NHL in rookie points.

Old
11-18-2013, 08:05 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Bass Neely View Post
Given the rate Soderberg is looking more and more comfortable out there -- not only more comfortable but effective and at times one of the best Bruins on the ice -- and the way a surprisingly mature Reilly Smith has kept is level of play up (that turnover against Ottawa was the worst mistake i've seen him make all year, and it wasn't exactly an unforced turnover, it was nice pocket-pick by Bobby Ryan)... i have a feeling that at some point between the next 5-10 games that 3rd line is going to have a "coming out party" and start generating goals consistently.

Just a gut feeling... but i feel like while Chris Kelly is instrumental in that 3rd line's defensive effectiveness, sometimes i wonder if what he brings to the defensive aspect is overshadowed by what he doesn't bring offensively.

I think if Soderberg and Smith, two quality passers who need to shoot the puck more, were on a line centered by a better scorer/playmaker with better hands and offensive instincts than Kelly, IMO that S-x-S line has the potential to be a line that produces offense at a high level.

We keep talking about how impressive both Yeti and Smith have been, but it's not translating to regular scoring just yet. Maybe Kelly (as much as i like the guy's leadership and hustle) is holding back the 3rd line's offensive capabilities more so than he is helping defensively.

This is why i'd love to see them give Spooner some time when Claude thinks he, Yeti and Smith are ready to play on a line together. It's low risk and potentially very high reward. Even if the defensive prowess of the line as a whole is lowered to some degree, i think that the extra scoring ability would MORE THAN make up for the loss of Kelly on defense.

Besides, Kelly centering the 4th line and letting Thornton be the 13th man in the rotation would make for a "tastier Merlot Line". Calling up Spooner and putting Kelly with Paille and Soupy could very well mean an upgrade to BOTH bottom-6 lines.

In short, i think that -- strictly from an offensive/goal-scoring standpoint -- Kelly is actually holding back the 3rd line's productivity. Yeti in particular has made a few highlight-reel passes that Kelly either wasn't ready for or totally mishandled... turning a would-be goal into a broken play.

Frustrating to watch. Especially while they continue playing with Kelly, both Soderberg and Smith have to SHOOT THE PUCK more.

Kelly is not a guy you want to be making those fancy passes in traffic to, he should not be the trigger-man as his hands are not the greatest and he's not a goal scorer. His wingers need to realize this and just throw it on net... that mentality almost got Soderberg a game-changing goal in Ottawa if not for a pretty early whistle.

This cannot be stressed enough. Kelly had a nice start but looks like he's going into offensive slumber mode again. The way the 3rd line is playing as a whole, they should have more goals. Period.
I totally agree about Kelly holding back Soderberg and Smith offensively but I thought against Carolina,he (Kelly )was working very hard(at least after two periods,awaiting the 3rd )and playing great two way hockey.I am not sure Spooner is the answer.Soderberg is clearly demonstrating top 6 talent,it might be time to move him up and put Marchand on the 3rd line.

Last edited by gillesgilbert: 11-18-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old
11-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Fossy21
Nobel Prize Deke

First star tonight and GWG. Well-deserved, created enough chances to have 3 or 4 more points if everything aligned.

Last edited by Fossy21: 11-18-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old
11-19-2013, 01:03 AM
vjcsmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesgilbert View Post
I totally agree about Kelly holding back Soderberg and Smith offensively but I thought against Carolina,he (Kelly )was working very hard(at least after two periods,awaiting the 3rd )and playing great two way hockey.I am not sure Spooner is the answer.Soderberg is clearly demonstrating top 6 talent,it might be time to move him up and put Marchand on the 3rd line.
Agreed. This might not be abut Kelly, and more about promoting Soderberg to experience some top 6 play. I'm for giving it say a one week 'test drive' just to see if it will spur more scoring from line 2. And it might light a fire under Marchand as well. So we'll see what Clode does.

Old
11-19-2013, 01:08 AM
BigGoalBrad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossy21 View Post
First star tonight and GWG. Well-deserved, created enough chances to have 3 or 4 more points if everything aligned.
Its amazing this guy managed to fix our second PP stinking and save our third line all while being relatively snakebit.

Great player and with Loui kicking it up a notch the second and third lines are looking better and better.

Might be time to put Marchand back in his old spot with Thornton and Campbell though.

Old
11-19-2013, 04:56 AM
Schnurvel

Yay, I'm really, really happy Carl's doing so well! I knew that with a little time he would really be able to prove himself to be a good player, even though a lot of people had a hard time believing that would happen. I loved watching the negative posts (and posters) on here slowly disappear and being replaced by positive comments when people finally started realizing Carl's potential

(Too bad Pär Mårts is a total jackass and still refuses to even consider him for the Olympics (he'd do waaay better than f'king Joel Lundqvist...) just because Carl wouldn't stay in Sweden to play in the WC last season... I'm hoping Carl dominates the rest of the season just to rub it in Mårts' face.)

Old
11-19-2013, 05:05 AM
Culture of Hockey
Classless Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnurvel View Post
Yay, I'm really, really happy Carl's doing so well! I knew that with a little time he would really be able to prove himself to be a good player, even though a lot of people had a hard time believing that would happen. I loved watching the negative posts (and posters) on here slowly disappear and being replaced by positive comments when people finally started realizing Carl's potential

(Too bad Pär Mårts is a total jackass and still refuses to even consider him for the Olympics (he'd do waaay better than f'king Joel Lundqvist...) just because Carl wouldn't stay in Sweden to play in the WC last season... I'm hoping Carl dominates the rest of the season just to rub it in Mårts' face.)
Saw this from Dom yesterday.

@dominictiano:
Quote:
Sweden coach Pär Mårts doesn't want Carl Soderberg on team b/c of fiasco with #Bruins last yr. Hearing he is getting pressure from some....

in the Swedish Ice Hockey Federation to re-consider his stance re: Soderberg
I'm not exactly up on what's going on with Team Sweden's lineup and if Carl would make the team if considered.....but it's good to see that his play this year has the SIHF shining a light on Mårts' seemingly personal grudge against the player.

Old
11-19-2013, 06:02 AM
TCL40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnurvel View Post

I don't understand this kind of petty move.

If Soderberg is one of the elite Swedish forwards they need to grow up and invite him to be on the team. Just because he wanted to come to play in the NHL to further his career he shouldn't be rejected from the Olympic team.

Soderberg is IMO starting to pick up the NHL game and looks fantastic. He uses his body to create space and loves the dirty areas.

Old
11-19-2013, 06:05 AM
KrejciMVP

He is getting better every game. Go team Sweeden!

Old
11-19-2013, 06:37 AM
Dom - OHL
ohlwriters.me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Marshmont View Post
Saw this from Dom yesterday.

@dominictiano:

I'm not exactly up on what's going on with Team Sweden's lineup and if Carl would make the team if considered.....but it's good to see that his play this year has the SIHF shining a light on Mårts' seemingly personal grudge against the player.
I'll just add that the source is as reliable as can be. Same person that told me Soderberg was on his way over to North America.

We'll see what happens

Old
11-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Open Ice

I still can't believe the man plays for the Bruins.

Closed Thread