HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

B. Coburn vs M. Stuart

Old
12-23-2006, 11:59 PM
markzab

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to markzab
B. Coburn vs M. Stuart

Help me out here guys. Seems like they both play hard yet their early NHL numbers don't help me determine anything. Who would you say will elevate his game to become the better NHL d-man, and why? I appreciate anything you've got for me. Thanks.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

I would think that Coburn could still turn into a top 2 defenseman in the NHL, even though he's not a "new NHL" style guy, he was such a stud here in the WHL that I just can't see him being unsuccessful at the next level.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 04:35 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Thanks gochiefsgo. I'm just surprised that 123 people read this but didn't have any insights. Well, 122 not including you.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 04:56 PM
acr*

From what I've seen, Stuart is a very solid NHL defenseman.

He would bring more to the bruins right now than Jason York does as the #6, but the Bruins apparently believe playing Stuart 25 minutes a night in Providence is more beneficial to his development than 7 minutes in Boston.

acr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 10:48 PM
Boston
Captain Chara

It is hard to say but I have heard that Boston really wanted Coburn a couple years ago and a trade was on the table.

Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Shameus

Wolves fans will totally bash Coburn because of his play down in Chicago. He had a lot of Thrashers fans nervous and hoping Valabik would be ready soon. Since he has gotten to Atlanta he has been pretty solid, but not great. He gave up a short handed goal the other night to Staal by trying to chip a puck over Staal's stick while in his own defensive zone on a cross ice pass. It nailed Staal's stick and almost looked like a tape to tape pass and Staal scored on the breakaway. The biggest complaint that Wolves fans had, and you can see it at times in Atlanta, is his mental mistakes. He has the physical tools, he just doesn't use his head.

Shameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 04:43 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr View Post
From what I've seen, Stuart is a very solid NHL defenseman.

He would bring more to the bruins right now than Jason York does as the #6, but the Bruins apparently believe playing Stuart 25 minutes a night in Providence is more beneficial to his development than 7 minutes in Boston.
I hope so.
He was drafted in the first round in 2003 and he has spent very little time in The NHL. And when he has been with the big club, he looks lost and useless. I have not seen him play with The P-Bruins, so I have no idea how he's looked at The AHL.

I'm not willing to write the guy off yet, but he spent 3 years at college, played in the WJC and has logged a lot of minutes at The AHL level, I was hoping he would of been a top 4 D-Man by now.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 09:38 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
I've never been a Coburn fan and nothing I've seen from him in the NHL will change that. Mark Stuart's a fine prospect, so I guess him by default.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 09:50 AM
The Maltais Falcon

Can't speak to Stuart as I've barely seen him play.

Coburn's play in the NHL has generally been pretty encouraging. I haven't seen his AHL games but Wolves fans pretty much unanimously loathed him. They've said he's been hairbrained, soft, and lazy.

In the NHL, though, he's been surprisingly solid. He's come more or less how he was advertised on draft day: a huge defenseman that skates really well and takes care of his own end before worrying about the offensive side of things. That said, he has shown a tendency to make about one hairbrained play per game, usually an ill-advised pass or sloppy bit of puckhandling that sets up a great scoring chance - or goal - for the opposition. His positioning needs work too but I don't think it's been as bad as his decisionmaking with the puck. Overall, though, he's performed well to this point. When you compare him to Dion Phaneuf and Ryan Suter at this stage he's definitely behind the curve but when you step back and compare him to first-round defensemen as a whole, I think he still has lots of promis.

It's tough to gauge how he'll do offensively over the long haul. I think he has all of one NHL point to his credit, but he has shown flashes of having terrific skill. I doubt he'll become a great scoring defenseman but he has the potential to be a ten-goal, forty-point type defenseman that's very good in his own zone.

The Maltais Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyug View Post
I've never been a Coburn fan and nothing I've seen from him in the NHL will change that. Mark Stuart's a fine prospect, so I guess him by default.
Why doesn't anyone like him? Is there something wrong with his attitude? I can understand why the fans in Chicago wouldn't like him, but the guy seemed like a heck of a player in the WHL, it seemed like whenever he stepped onto the ice for the Winterhawks, he was nothing short of a franchise player who could step in and lead the way for them.

And he signed an autograph for us and spoke with us, something that alot of the "hot prospects" won't do; so call me a Braydon Coburn fan for life, reguardless of what he does in the NHL.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 12:56 PM
littleguybigstik

i think everyone is hard on cobourn due to the fact the 03 draft was the best round of studs in a draft in a long time. Out of the top 30 picks most have turned the corner into top players for their respected positions. Cobourn taken before dion and after suter puts pressure and comparisons on him. Cobourn is big, mobile and will get lots of points in atl. Right now atl uses 4 fwds on pp most of the time, how can they not having kovalchuk and hossa.

Cobourn will be an all star in 2yrs and people will be eating crow. He has all the oppurtunity in the world, there isnt one top notch dman in atl to stop him. The only person holding cobourn back will be cobourn. atl managment was babying him and didnt want to screw up their top pick in the 03 draft.

my 02c.

littleguybigstik is offline   Reply With Quote