HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

If therrien is fired, what coaches are out there to replace him?

Old
11-17-2013, 11:10 AM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
This.

Boucher would have been a yearly success in Tampa Bay if he would have had a reliably consistent goalie on the team.
Regardless of what I said, Boucher is a decent candidate. Very decent at that.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:11 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I'm actually starting to wonder if Geoff Molson purposely put a bunch of inept morons in Bergevin and Therrien in place so they could completely **** up and he could gain public support to abolish the "everyone must be french" rule.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:12 AM
KoZed

This board is overly hateful and doesn't reflect how things are in the real world. MT won't get fired. Bergevin and him are building this team around the players the team itself will draft. So it's aiming for 2018, not 2014.

So looking at the work MT has done with the kids so far in less than 1 full season, I don't think Bergevin would fire him. And Molson would probably be alright with it, too. The franchise is racking in tons of millions anyway.

Personally, I'd be kinda OK with it. I think it's time to have a bench boss that sticks for the long haul. Getting real tired of the revolving door. Maybe I'm old school, but I think if you want your coach to have authority, you need to keep him in place for 5-6+ yrs and not replace him at the first sign of trouble. Sends the message to players that they can't suck their way out of unpleasant situations.

KoZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:12 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I'm actually starting to wonder if Geoff Molson purposely put a bunch of inept morons in Bergevin and Therrien in place so they could completely **** up and he could gain public support to abolish the "everyone must be french" rule.
If it's his plan, he would be an evil genius.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
I honestly never had too many issues with carbo, and his games were always fun to watch but there's a reason why he's not back in the game, because his record was never really that 'bad'.

I bet he would be more disciplined if he ever gets another job again, but it looked like players enjoyed playing for him...he just lost the team outside the rink, lol.
Carbo was very close to Cunneyworth bad, and it says a lot as how much he sucked as a coach. Always blaming his players, terrible plan and always outcoached.

Him having one energy player on each line was a terrible idea, putting Streit on Koivu's wing was out of this imaginary.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Krnage

Benoit Brunet for head coach

Krnage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Quote:
Lol that would be quite the plan.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Et le But

Bergevin would probably replace him with Lefebrve, for character.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:17 AM
old scotia

DALE HUNTER DALE HUNTER DALE HUNTER DALE HUNTER DALE HUNTER

I would hope he could speak French since he played for the Les Nords for so long.

old scotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:19 AM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
You guys expect the guy to paint a Picasso with the crayolas he's been handed?
He doesn't even know how to hold his crayolas properly nor what to do with em. That's the source of concern.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:20 AM
pine

#FireTherrien

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:21 AM
thaivuN
Cynical Narcissist.

vCash: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Bergevin would probably replace him with Lefebrve, for character.
well, lefebvre would be perfect to aim for Connor McDavid

thaivuN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:23 AM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Regardless of what I said, Boucher is a decent candidate. Very decent at that.
"The Bolts rank 24th in goals-against (3.03) and 25th in five-on-five goals-against. That’s not good enough, especially measured up against the fact that they rank 21st in shots allowed. That’s a gap that accurately reflects too many games given away on soft goals."

Sport Illustrated's Allan Muir

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:26 AM
djanio

I would put a buck on Benoit Groulx from the Gatineau Olypmiques. He's been around for quite some time, has always been recognized as a relentless coach with an impeccable work ethic. He coached the Rochester Americans for some time too, but left because of his wife and kids who still live in Gatineau, this guy would be a huge addition to the organization.

djanio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
He chose the management team we have now because he doesn't want to upset the cash cow. Molson is in the hockey business to make money first, and if he can win and add a bit more to the pile then even better.

Problem is that Montreal is in the unique situation that they're already almost maximizing potential profit. Sure, a few extra playoff games would line Molson's pockets with a little more cash, but he's already making money hand over fist. Whereas most teams in this league have extra monetary incentive to build a contender just so they aren't in the red at the end of the year, Molson just has to go along without rocking the boat. And hiring certain people that will piss off a substantial portion of the fanbase is rocking the boat.

So management is content to go along with their archaic hiring rules because even in a best case scenario, a championship team will what, have a legitimate Cup window for 3-5 years in a 2 decade span?

All that being said, even if I'm not impressed with Bergevin so far he was a legitimate candidate for the position and I have no qualms with the hiring. At least we didn't recycle a previous GM or a former Hab. And I'm sure Bergevin would love to have more freedom with respect to his managerial decisions, but the onus is on Molson to change the team's philosophy.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:29 AM
bentheprop

Quote:
Originally Posted by old scotia View Post

I would hope he could speak French since he played for the Les Nords for so long.

Hunter doesn't want to coach in the NHL, he's content with the London Knights.

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:31 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I'd like to see what Guy Boucher could do with this team. I think he's a great coach and he now has NHL coaching experience so he won't do his rookie mistakes here.

Imho the problem behind the Cunneyworth fiasco isn't solely that he spoke english, its that he was also a no name rookie with little experience, clearly not the best available and horrible results on the ice. That he was unilingual english just made it worst.

I'm sure a well known english speaking coach with personality would be accepted by the french media and fans.
This.

Had Kirk Muller been chosen, there probably wouldn't have been that much problems, if any problems at all.

But he still would've been stuck with a somewhat bad team.

Old
11-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Guess

I'd like to know who the best possible coach is, french or otherwise

Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:34 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanio View Post
I would put a buck on Benoit Groulx from the Gatineau Olypmiques. He's been around for quite some time, has always been recognized as a relentless coach with an impeccable work ethic. He coached the Rochester Americans for some time too, but left because of his wife and kids who still live in Gatineau, this guy would be a huge addition to the organization.
I'd like him to temper his character a bit...
Besides, Groulx tends to ... like small players a lot.

Old
11-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Bring Jacques Martin back. He had many questionable decisions but he's the only coach who had a clue in the past 20 years.
**** off, period.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Gustave

Michel will get fired next year. He's got enough leeway from last year's performance to get through a .500 record for this year.

I'd hope Boucher gets the nod. He knows what mistakes he made on his first job so he'd make sure to correct those here. He has my vote.

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Martin and Bergevin would have been a solid duo IMO. It's not Martin that didn't like toughness, it was Gauthier.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:38 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
**** off, period.
He's right.

I can't believe we brought back Therrien for a second stint. Martin, on the other hand, I would have no problem with.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:39 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

If MT were fired it's possible one of the assistants Gallant, Daigneault or Jodoin would take over.

They're already behind the bench, and Gallant has NHL head coach experience. I dunno but would he be a likely interim guy?

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:41 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
If MT were fired it's possible one of the assistants Gallant, Daigneault or Jodoin would take over.

They're already behind the bench, and Gallant has NHL head coach experience. I dunno but would he be a likely interim guy?
Gallant?
Probably.
I don't see him as a guy you want behind the bench if you're looking for the best coach available.

On a side, I think the Habs brass will offer something to Jean-François Houle at some point, probably Hamilton. If that happens, he probably instantly becomes the favorite to take over.