HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Easiest shutout for future HoF Cam Talbot

Old
11-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Istvan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
You deserve a serious answer because much of what you're saying is reasonable. Yes, it makes sense to help DD succeed rather than let him sink like a stone. That's smart management in any business. Thing is, it can be done in doses, by giving him, say, 10 minutes instead of 18. Unless there's a trade brewing today or tomorrow, there was no reason to put Desharnais on display for so long. He simply hasn't earned it.

I agree with you that Habs fans are ridiculously impatient. We've got a strong young core, with a top-10 group of prospects getting closer to the NHL. The EGG line didn't regress from last year as people feared, they've improved, plus we've added Bournival. If Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn develop well we WILL be in good shape. Our best players are our young players, which is exactly where we want to be if we're aiming to contend in a couple of years. Meanwhile, do we have to suck it up and watch the team lose? Maybe. I still think we'll make the playoffs, but it'll be a rough road to get there. One step back to take two steps forward and all that...

Easy to say, harder to digest after such a frustrating game.
I've been a fan since 1965 and had the good fortune of seeing the Habs win a number of Cups over the years. I consider myself a patient fan and have suffered through many seasons of somewhat boring, uninspired, inept teams. However, being patient doesn't mean unrequited support for what appear to be poor management decisions. I'm lukewarm on the signings of Briere, Parros and Murray. If it's likely to be a losing/rebuilding season i'd rather groom the younger prospects at the NHL level. Tinordi and Beaulieu would likely be no worse than Boullion and Murray while they develop. The timing of the DD extension is inexplicable. The hiring of MT was out of left field for me. On the bright side management recognized that Bournival was close to ready and he is working out nicely. The unique cultural pressure faced by the Habs has led to some suboptimal decisions ( Louis Leblanc , Chelios for Savard etc.). The club is a Rosetta Stone away from consistent Red Wing-like competitivness.

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Interlagos Blue
You Had ONE JOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
huge amount of text
paragraphs, do you know what they are?

Interlagos Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 09:51 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
I've been a fan since 1965 and had the good fortune of seeing the Habs win a number of Cups over the years. I consider myself a patient fan and have suffered through many seasons of somewhat boring, uninspired, inept teams. However, being patient doesn't mean unrequited support for what appear to be poor management decisions. I'm lukewarm on the signings of Briere, Parros and Murray. If it's likely to be a losing/rebuilding season i'd rather groom the younger prospects at the NHL level. Tinordi and Beaulieu would likely be no worse than Boullion and Murray while they develop. The timing of the DD extension is inexplicable. The hiring of MT was out of left field for me. On the bright side management recognized that Bournival was close to ready and he is working out nicely. The unique cultural pressure faced by the Habs has led to some suboptimal decisions ( Louis Leblanc , Chelios for Savard etc.). The club is a Rosetta Stone away from consistent Red Wing-like competitivness.
This. I think if we went with a youth movement, the fanbase could live through the growing pains...but we have a lot of useless vets taking up space putting out crappy performances.

I used to never miss a Habs game...would plan my nihgts around their schedule. Now? I couldn't even be bothered. I watch other teams a lot more.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 09:58 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
First off MT defending DD right now is exactly what DD needs to try and help him overcome the worst sump he ever had. DD's confidence is shattered and if MT and yes the whole team need to help DD out of this it's a good thing. Did you see how the team went nuts after DD scored the shootout goal. Everyone is trying to help DD out of this. If Dd gets back to a 60 point guy it's good for the habs, if DD gets better at all it's good for a trade value. Right now, NOBODY takes DD for free on waivers. Do you have a better idea?????????? perhaps you just want him SHOT DEAD.
The teams can't catch a break these days. I have NOT seen a bounce go habs way and into the net in 3 weeks. Price has been great making NO mistakes. How many goals against the habs came of tips, bounces, crazy plays that almost never happen or strange penalties at the worst times. DD is not the only one in a slump on the habs right now. Yet the habs are in every game with a ton of 1 goal losses.
Now the easiest thing to do is go nuts and demand firings left and right.
WHY? everyone knows the Habs needed a lot of changes. MB is doing just that one step at a time. If you can't see the new CORE yet your blind. In the NHL that has so much even teams with only 4-5 really top teams at the peek of there own building plans. DO the Habs still need about 5 real upgrades in players? YES. The draft picks at forward are simple not ready yet. Beaulieu and Tinordi will upgrade the back end a TON. Yes the habs need some BIG bodies at forward. WE ALL KNOW THAT. I bet every time MB wants to do a trade EVERYBODY wants our CORE YOUNG PLAYERS. They way you put it, lets just trade ANYBODY for ANYTHING so the Habs can win NOW, right NOW who cares about next year, your tired of seeing the Habs lose. They have been loosing for 20 years. Fire MB, fire MT, fire J Molson, fire the doctor, fire the bus driver. Start over as if you can just pick the top players from the other teams and build a winner. Good luck with that.
What if I use your way of thinking on YOU. Are you a MILLIONAIRE YET?
WHY NOT? you must be a BUM a worthless human being with NO TALENT. WHY are you still breathing? Waisting space on MY WORLD.
JUST slow down. it's the 17th November and you want to throw in the towel. The Habs should make the playoffs and YES lose again in the plasyoffs, that the current team. Next year with more changes Habs will be even better and still I expect NOT to win a cup next year.
2 years from now, hummm, now that's a very different story if more rookies pan out and MB can make some good upgrades along the way.
JUST RELAX for now. Take a pill or something, take two if you have to.
Don't get stuck always watching the mistakes, the old players, the slump players. Watch the rookies getting better, watch Price with his new found concentration. You will feel better.
There's always an apologist. There's always someone who thinks what has been done thus far was the optimal solution.

GMs make blunders all the time. Even the best ones...I expect that...but good ones hit homeruns every now and then. Where is Bergie's homerun? He has a crapload of blunders.

Old
11-17-2013, 10:00 AM
poetryinmotion

Something is very rotten at the core when your starting goaltender is nearly .940% and has more losses than wins.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:02 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
Are you off your meds again ?

There are no tangible universes where stuff like that ever happens except in mental patients's.

That said, the overplaying of Desharnais again was all kinds of ugly.
Ya totally ridiculous. As if this organization would EVER make decisions based on language!

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:10 AM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
I think you imply that there is a level of stupidity amid this coaching staff that is unattainable due to physical limitations of the human species. If it is truly the case that MT has decided that the system employed last season which had so much success, should be deliberately changed to this atrocity before us today, then he doesn't need to get fired, he needs to be put in a psychiatric institution.

I think this is a case of poor line management with a combination of little to no confidence from our forwards and defensive squad to pressure the offensive play like last season. This is a much more believable scenario.

Note: You have not answered my original question... again. However, your sarcastic remarks amuse me.
Glad I can amuse you.

The problem is that you are taking the emotional approach instead of the rational approach.

You look on the stat sheet and see that __________ (pick a player) has X amount of ice time and you think that this is the reason we are not scoring goals. Emotional response.

I look at the game as its being played and see that we do not forecheck aggressively like we did last year, we are not strong on the puck in our offensive zone, we are not a puck possession team compared to last season and we are once again using the Martin system of perimeter shooting or the dump and chase.

And I have seen this happen with every single line combination that Therrien throws out (with that said, I wish that he would leave Bournival with Pleks and Pacioretty with Briere).

On defense, we no longer are aggressively attacking the puck carrier, we sag back toward Price, we easily let teams skate by in the neutral zone for an easy entry into our zone via skating and passing (not dump and chase).

Once Price makes a save and we get the puck back, our team is incapable of consistently moving the puck out of our zone with precise short passes and skating it out. No, we are the pitchfork team or the stretch pass team. Both of which end in turnovers the majority of the time.

Last year, this team was doing all of those things that I mentioned that they are not doing now.

But yeah, we are not scoring because Subban is not getting 30+ minutes and Eller only had 16 minutes last night. (See, I am trying to amuse you again ).

Edit...........Confidence comes from repetition in practice so execution becomes a process that does not require time in thinking what to do. The Boston Bruins are a perfect example of a team who has effective offensive and defensive systems and all the players follow it by simply reacting to what is happening on the ice based upon what they practice each day.

Last edited by SouthernHab: 11-17-2013 at 10:15 AM.
SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Moves Like Jagr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I used to never miss a Habs game...would plan my nihgts around their schedule. Now? I couldn't even be bothered. I watch other teams a lot more.
I've been watching this team since 92 and I didn't even feel this way on those lean years of the late 90's early 2000's. I started feeling the same was in 11-12. I have that same feeling for that season as this one. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. I still never miss a game but I'm not as into it as the team is just a misery to watch.

I live in Ontario and I find the leafs to be a way more exciting team than what we have and I find myself switching over to the leafs games back and forth and yes they are a better club right now but I believe we have a better up and coming core but that still doesn't change the fact that this team is very mediocre and anyone saying otherwise is lying to themselves.

Moves Like Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Usually the best players on a team have more icetime in games they lose than they win. The logic is that the coach play them more so they can help the team comeback and possibly win. On the Habs however the top 3 scorers (Subban, Eller, Galchenyuk) have lower icetime average in games they lose than win. Even the supposed 'clutch' acquisition Briere gets much less icetime while the team is losing. These aren't the guys on average get their icetime increased to get the team back into the game by the coach. Guys like Gallagher, Plekanec, Pacioretty, Markov are obvious choices to increase icetime in times of needing offense.

Players that do get an icetime boost while they're losing?
Boullion (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...14&view=splits)
Gionta (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...07&view=splits)
Desharnais (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...76&view=splits)

Habs just coincidentally have been horrible when giving up first goal:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...ewName=summary

Last edited by Watsatheo: 11-17-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:24 AM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Usually the best players on a team have more icetime in games they lose than they win. The logic is that the coach play them more so they can help the team comeback and possibly win. On the Habs however the top 3 scorers (Subban, Eller, Galchenyuk) have lower icetime average in games they lose than win. Even the supposed 'clutch' acquisition Briere gets much less icetime while the team is losing. These aren't the guys on average get their icetime increased to get the team back into the game by the coach. Guys like Gallagher, Plekanec, Pacioretty, Markov are obvious choices to increase icetime in times of needing offense.

The fact that MT cannot identify his "best" players is troubling....it's even more troubling, if he can, and chooses not to play them.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:24 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:

If this is not reason enough to fire this clown I don't know what is. Therrien should be ashamed of himself, and MB for hiring him.

Forward this to MB's inbox stat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
The fact that MT cannot identify his "best" players is troubling....it's even more troubling, if he can, and chooses not to play them.
Punishing them is better. Gotta be a bully of a coach and crack the whip 'ykno.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Therrien is coaching some of the worst hockey of his career, which means he's about to get a 4 year extension.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:32 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moves Like Jagr View Post
I've been watching this team since 92 and I didn't even feel this way on those lean years of the late 90's early 2000's. I started feeling the same was in 11-12. I have that same feeling for that season as this one. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. I still never miss a game but I'm not as into it as the team is just a misery to watch.

I live in Ontario and I find the leafs to be a way more exciting team than what we have and I find myself switching over to the leafs games back and forth and yes they are a better club right now but I believe we have a better up and coming core but that still doesn't change the fact that this team is very mediocre and anyone saying otherwise is lying to themselves.
I agree with all of this. I live in Ontario too and pay extra for RDS. I'll be cancelling it. This garbage on the ice does not deserve my attention.

Old
11-17-2013, 10:35 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:

Habs just coincidentally have been horrible when giving up first goal:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...ewName=summary
Well, you see why some were pissed about the MT hire and the subsequent overachieving last year. It handicapped us big time. Wrong move after wrong move.

Old
11-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Well, you see why some were pissed about the MT hire and the subsequent overachieving last year. It handicapped us big time. Wrong move after wrong move.
You got it twisted buddy, Therrien is why PK won the Norris! Doesn't matter that he was already on his way up and started playing amazing right away despite not having a camp, nope Therrien is just awesome..

I was always skeptical that Therrien changed his coaching method because of his poor analysis of games/players whenever he went on AC. But I decided to let it go because I figured things might be scripted. I guess things aren't scripted and he's just the same old horrible coach. He's just horrible, and we should be moving him out ASAP before he ruins our team more.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:55 AM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Something is very rotten at the core when your starting goaltender is nearly .940% and has more losses than wins.
That's what happens when you have an AHL goalie in net. We should trade Carey for picks.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:21 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

So... who's to blame tonight?... Parros? Murray? White? I thought Murray playing explained why our team started to suck? Isn't it what the Pansy Stats say?

I seriously wonder what Briere has done to warrant playing 8 minutes per game, 10 less than Desharnais. I've been very supportive of the management team, but if they all are good with that crap, it's very concerning.

HiggsBozon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Glad I can amuse you.

The problem is that you are taking the emotional approach instead of the rational approach.

You look on the stat sheet and see that __________ (pick a player) has X amount of ice time and you think that this is the reason we are not scoring goals. Emotional response.

I look at the game as its being played and see that we do not forecheck aggressively like we did last year, we are not strong on the puck in our offensive zone, we are not a puck possession team compared to last season and we are once again using the Martin system of perimeter shooting or the dump and chase.

And I have seen this happen with every single line combination that Therrien throws out (with that said, I wish that he would leave Bournival with Pleks and Pacioretty with Briere).

On defense, we no longer are aggressively attacking the puck carrier, we sag back toward Price, we easily let teams skate by in the neutral zone for an easy entry into our zone via skating and passing (not dump and chase).

Once Price makes a save and we get the puck back, our team is incapable of consistently moving the puck out of our zone with precise short passes and skating it out. No, we are the pitchfork team or the stretch pass team. Both of which end in turnovers the majority of the time.

Last year, this team was doing all of those things that I mentioned that they are not doing now.

But yeah, we are not scoring because Subban is not getting 30+ minutes and Eller only had 16 minutes last night. (See, I am trying to amuse you again ).

Edit...........Confidence comes from repetition in practice so execution becomes a process that does not require time in thinking what to do. The Boston Bruins are a perfect example of a team who has effective offensive and defensive systems and all the players follow it by simply reacting to what is happening on the ice based upon what they practice each day.
Actually, the Martin system never supported the dump and chase strategy. Martin was big on collapsing in front of our goalies and a fast counter attack. He also wanted players to carry the puck inside the zone. We started playing D&C when RC took over.

But this Therrien is brutal. His player management is brutal, but so is his weak system and inability to adapt. Last year, he benefited from a healthy line up, very much like Carbo did when we finished 1st. I don't think Therrien is as bad as Carbo, but still, he was just lucky. He had a healthy squad, a 3rd overall pick, the return of Markov, and the emergence of PK. All his guys clicked, we had two amazing rookies, and guys like Plekanec and Max were still producing quite well. So he had 3 lines to put out there.
Kind of easy to get good results when all is clicking and you have players wanting to impress their new coach and GM. As soon as we started facing adversity though, towards the end of the season, we completely collapsed. People turned face and rather make up this belief that Emelin was actually the key player here, a #4 Dman that's often caught off position suddenly became our MVP. But no, it was just a case of the good old Therrien incapable of adjusting. This year, we're seeing it even more.
People focus on player management because that's what sticks out the most.

Old
11-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
So... who's to blame tonight?... Parros? Murray? White? I thought Murray playing explained why our team started to suck? Isn't it what the Pansy Stats say?

I seriously wonder what Briere has done to warrant playing 8 minutes per game, 10 less than Desharnais. I've been very supportive of the management team, but if they all are good with that crap, it's very concerning.
You should have been concerned a while ago buddy. If you're starting to see it yourself, maybe you should look back to what others have said and realize, hey, maybe they were right.

Briere should have never been signed to begin with. I understand that this is the Habs, people will just be supportive of their team, so even when there's weird moves they'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
However, there's been some weird decisions taken right from the start. Everybody loves the fact Bergevin brought in a big brain trust, that's all good, but if that brain is retarded, it doesn't really help much.
MaxPac was a good signing, so was Prust, the rest has been pretty bad to awful.

Briere getting 8 minutes is a tad weird, DD being the most used center is a huge head scratcher. Just no sense.

Old
11-17-2013, 12:35 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Actually, the Martin system never supported the dump and chase strategy. Martin was big on collapsing in front of our goalies and a fast counter attack. He also wanted players to carry the puck inside the zone. We started playing D&C when RC took over.

But this Therrien is brutal. His player management is brutal, but so is his weak system and inability to adapt. Last year, he benefited from a healthy line up, very much like Carbo did when we finished 1st. I don't think Therrien is as bad as Carbo, but still, he was just lucky. He had a healthy squad, a 3rd overall pick, the return of Markov, and the emergence of PK. All his guys clicked, we had two amazing rookies, and guys like Plekanec and Max were still producing quite well. So he had 3 lines to put out there.
Kind of easy to get good results when all is clicking and you have players wanting to impress their new coach and GM. As soon as we started facing adversity though, towards the end of the season, we completely collapsed. People turned face and rather make up this belief that Emelin was actually the key player here, a #4 Dman that's often caught off position suddenly became our MVP. But no, it was just a case of the good old Therrien incapable of adjusting. This year, we're seeing it even more.
People focus on player management because that's what sticks out the most.
In the NHL, player management is important but it is the emotional tie that allows fans to gripe about "player use".

In the NHL, offensive and defensive strategies, schemes and systems are what loses games or win championships.

Too bad for us that Therrien sucks at both. The biggest harm to this team, though, is Therriens' approach to the game of hockey on offense and defense.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khal Drogo View Post
This is what happens when you hire a coach and GM based on language, and then it's further compounded by what that set of media wants out of their local team, so the coach and GM give it to them.

But hey, some fans apparently wanna understand what their coach has to say. Rather then just enjoy watching their team win.
Dum-dum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Ya totally ridiculous. As if this organization would EVER make decisions based on language!
There are business decisions and there are people claiming Bergevin is trying to "make a point about frenchness" (or summat, go figure what the mongos are on about these days) by overplaying Desharnais.

It's cray-cray.

Easier to think they like the guy and believe/hope he is capable of snapping out of his funk than to think this is some grand, sinister plan.

Welp, no, I got it wrong again. It's easier to think this is language-related again.

Sorry, my bad, mate.

Carry on. The head nurse is asleep, she might let you skip one round of meds.

Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
I'm not much younger than you, having about 10 Stanley Cups tucked away in my permanent memory. All that past success allows me to be patient, and it also gives me a wide perspective on what's worked and what hasn't over the decades.

What I really like about the Bergevin era is the focus on prospect development. I've never seen so many kids being brought up to the big-leagues at the same time. Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn, Holland -- none of whom had ever played an NHL game before 2013. Amidst all the negative crap, let's not lose sight of the seismic bang these young guys will be making in a couple of years.

But you can't force-feed the NHL to prospects. I'd much rather see Holland or Andrighetto in place of Briere and Desharnais, just as I'd like to see Nygren, Beaulieu and Tinordi in place of Murray and Bouillon, but there is such a thing as too-much-too-soon. Tinordi has a 'huge' upside, but was struggling with the Habs and needed to ramp down in Hamilton. The others need to ramp up. Being patient with our prospects is the key to their longer-term success, no matter how badly we want them to replace the useless vets.

As to the cultural pressure, no argument. I like the 'Rosetta Stone' metaphor. Hopefully we'll get the best of both worlds with legitimate players like Bournival now and Fucale a few years down the road.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
There are business decisions and there are people claiming Bergevin is trying to "make a point about frenchness" (or summat, go figure what the mongos are on about these days) by overplaying Desharnais.

It's cray-cray.

Easier to think they like the guy and believe/hope he is capable of snapping out of his funk than to think this is some grand, sinister plan.

Welp, no, I got it wrong again. It's easier to think this is language-related again.

Sorry, my bad, mate.

Carry on. The head nurse is asleep, she might let you skip one round of meds.
I don't think DD is getting ice time because he's a french boy. I don't think he got an extension because he's french either, just have to look at Emelin to realize that, and possibly PK-Diaz soon.

That being said, we know Bergevin wouldn't have been hired if he didn't speak french. The same is true of Therrien. So ya, can't blame people if they feel a player is being used a certain way just because he's french.

I really don't like talking about this stuff, but I can't find any reason other than the french part for targeting Briere over Jagr. I seriously don't think Briere would be here if he was from another country.

Old
11-17-2013, 01:18 PM
sampollock

I have been a fan since 68

And this team has pride on balance. Skill with toughness

Now we have a one way. Small

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 01:19 PM
CaliHab84

As long as this franchise puts more emphasis on language then winning, they will never win a Stanley Cup its simple as that. Its a handicap that is limiting this club of its true potential. I have nothing against any body, its just simple logic, when you limit yourself to only ONE group of people your chances of finding good staff is slimmer.

CaliHab84 is offline   Reply With Quote