HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The All-Purpose David Desharnais thread (post-Pressbox edition)

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

vCash: 725
As far as DD is concerned, well clearly Therrien wants him to start playing better. The idea is that he's not tradeable, he's not a good fit on the 4th line. So it's either in the stands....in Hamilton, or playing on an offensive line hoping he get it going. Whether he's in the stands or in Hamilton, it means playing White insted of him. Clearly, he's a better fit in the 4th line....but did White impress you this year? He's been subpar to say the least. It doesn't look as "impressive" as DD as he's not there to provide points but he is mediocre so far.

I didn't think he played badly today. Yet, what I hate about Therrien, amongst 1000 things, is that he is totally not making his players accountable accept the easy targets. But for the others....I mean he's "sending a message" by not playing him but then....the same guy is great enough to play top 2 line and Powerplay. So in the end, Therrien doesn,t punish..he's resting guys. And that's a joke.

Old
11-16-2013, 10:32 PM
WakeUpNHL

vCash: 500
Therrien is a tool and Bergevin is a fool. They think that Desharnais is in a 'slump'.

Of course, they are the ones that evaluated DD as NHL caliber and gave him a $14M contract. So... let them reap what they sow... eventually this kind of thinking will lead them out of Montreal.

No way these clowns are here for long... just plain amateurs.

Old
11-17-2013, 12:05 AM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
As far as DD is concerned, well clearly Therrien wants him to start playing better. The idea is that he's not tradeable, he's not a good fit on the 4th line. So it's either in the stands....in Hamilton, or playing on an offensive line hoping he get it going. Whether he's in the stands or in Hamilton, it means playing White insted of him. Clearly, he's a better fit in the 4th line....but did White impress you this year? He's been subpar to say the least. It doesn't look as "impressive" as DD as he's not there to provide points but he is mediocre so far.

I didn't think he played badly today. Yet, what I hate about Therrien, amongst 1000 things, is that he is totally not making his players accountable accept the easy targets. But for the others....I mean he's "sending a message" by not playing him but then....the same guy is great enough to play top 2 line and Powerplay. So in the end, Therrien doesn,t punish..he's resting guys. And that's a joke.
You make good points. The problem is this is the NHL, not a ****ing amateur league where you can play a 5'5 center with the hope that he'll get it going. Quite frankly, the whole Desharnais and Patches situation has become somewhat of a soap opera. The guy spends a game in the press box. That same game, the other French center who replaced him scores the only goal. Next game, said French center gets demoted to the 4th and Desharnais is back with his gf. He scores in a shootout, is deemed the shootout king by canadiens.com, and is placed on the top line.

His line then proceeds to play more minutes than every other line, despite the fact that a total of 6 players on our team have more points than all 3 players on that line, combined.

Desharnais can get all the chances he wants, he's not an NHL player.

Edit: Patches, Bourque, Desharnais, otherwise known as our top line according to Therrien, have a combined 11 points on the season.
Galchenyuk has 15

Old
11-17-2013, 01:26 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
I truly hate this ****er
Jeezus guys. Did he sleep with your wife and then run over your dog with his car?

DD is crap, but come on. This is on Bergy.

Save your hate for Hitler, Stalin and Mao...

Old
11-17-2013, 01:33 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
People are fed up. RDS ratings are down the drain this month, something will happen.
Is that true? If so, Molson will have noted it. The next thing will be empty seats not paid for, though that might take a while yet. Still the best entertainment option in town, especially for the kiddies.

And BTW, a lot of this is about getting the little kids hooked. They don't care if the team is crap, and they bug dad to go every time.

So glad when I was a brat, the Habs were the greatest.

Old
11-17-2013, 01:48 AM
Mynameismark*

Get this scrub out of here!!!!

Old
11-17-2013, 04:51 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
You make good points. The problem is this is the NHL, not a ****ing amateur league where you can play a 5'5 center with the hope that he'll get it going. Quite frankly, the whole Desharnais and Patches situation has become somewhat of a soap opera. The guy spends a game in the press box. That same game, the other French center who replaced him scores the only goal. Next game, said French center gets demoted to the 4th and Desharnais is back with his gf. He scores in a shootout, is deemed the shootout king by canadiens.com, and is placed on the top line.

His line then proceeds to play more minutes than every other line, despite the fact that a total of 6 players on our team have more points than all 3 players on that line, combined.

Edit: Patches, Bourque, Desharnais, otherwise known as our top line according to Therrien, have a combined 11 points on the season.
Galchenyuk has 15
When a coach "loses the room" you wonder why it happens. It's **** like this that makes it happen.

Players care about their icetime and stats. Therrien cares about playing a few players and asserting some kind of perverse control over other players.

MT is like a dog crossing the street , he can only see the poodle on the other side, not the bus that's bearing down and about to hit him. Will be the end of his coaching career when it happens.

Subban was brilliant in approving the 24CH segment where MT was going sergeant all over him, it made Therrien look like a fool and the hockey world now has video proof of it.

Old
11-17-2013, 05:00 AM
DAChampion

Is there a youtube of Therrien attacking Subban?

Old
11-17-2013, 06:54 AM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
Therrien is a tool and Bergevin is a fool. They think that Desharnais is in a 'slump'.

Of course, they are the ones that evaluated DD as NHL caliber and gave him a $14M contract. So... let them reap what they sow... eventually this kind of thinking will lead them out of Montreal.

like they're going to say "my player sucks" or something...

Old
11-17-2013, 06:56 AM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
When a coach "loses the room" you wonder why it happens. It's **** like this that makes it happen.

Players care about their icetime and stats. Therrien cares about playing a few players and asserting some kind of perverse control over other players.

MT is like a dog crossing the street , he can only see the poodle on the other side, not the bus that's bearing down and about to hit him. Will be the end of his coaching career when it happens.

Subban was brilliant in approving the 24CH segment where MT was going sergeant all over him, it made Therrien look like a fool and the hockey world now has video proof of it.
you really think players have a say on what's shown on 24CH ? really ?

Old
11-17-2013, 07:44 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

I usually agree with what you say and I do again.

Old
11-17-2013, 07:48 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post

This is the kind of post that I find adds no value. It is simply to stomping around and calling the management names like some spoiled child.

Old
11-17-2013, 08:01 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
This is the kind of post that I find adds no value. It is simply to stomping around and calling the management names like some spoiled child.
You're wrong. The post you quoted substracts to the value of those boards.

Old
11-17-2013, 08:18 AM
HCH

Quote:

I love to see the experts come out of the woodwork. They love to pick on the guy who is struggling because it is the easy thing to do.

Was Desharnais an NHL player when he was 23rd among centers in NHL scoring in 2012-13. He would have been the top scoring center on about 10 teams.

No doubt about it... he has been playing very poorly and I don't know if there is a spot for him on the team where he can be effective, but a blanket statement that he is not an NHL player is a joke. Against the Rangers he played both ends of the rink, had three shots on goal and blocked five. No results but it was a step in the right direction.

We have another player (actually more than one) who is struggling at that is Gionta. He has 2 points in his last eleven games and he is getting at least 2 minutes more in ice time per game than Desharnais.

Yes, Desharnais deserves to be criticized for his contribution this year but it is far to easy to heap the woes of this team on his shoulders. Others deserve to share in the blame in this disappointing season. Gionta is definitely one of them and as I said, there are others.

Old
11-17-2013, 08:24 AM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

Quote:

Galchenyuk has 15
Well that 5'5'' did have a 60-point season. Pretty sure that no amateur leaguer had that feature in the NHL ever.

Aside from that.....Therrien is a bad coach. Been telling you guys that since we hired him.....but we had to give him a chance.....I hope people are grateful we did...

Old
11-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:
I love to see the experts come out of the woodwork. They love to pick on the guy who is struggling because it is the easy thing to do.

Was Desharnais an NHL player when he was 23rd among centers in NHL scoring in 2012-13. He would have been the top scoring center on about 10 teams.

No doubt about it... he has been playing very poorly and I don't know if there is a spot for him on the team where he can be effective, but a blanket statement that he is not an NHL player is a joke. Against the Rangers he played both ends of the rink, had three shots on goal and blocked five. No results but it was a step in the right direction.

We have another player (actually more than one) who is struggling at that is Gionta. He has 2 points in his last eleven games and he is getting at least 2 minutes more in ice time per game than Desharnais.

Yes, Desharnais deserves to be criticized for his contribution this year but it is far to easy to heap the woes of this team on his shoulders. Others deserve to share in the blame in this disappointing season. Gionta is definitely one of them and as I said, there are others.
TWO YEARS AGO!!!!

Cole scored 35 goals two years ago
Kaberle passes from a 49pts offensive D, to being benched with the Habs in two year
Gomez drop from a steady 60-70pts players to a 4 th line player in two years
Galchenyuk and Gallagher were in the minors 2 years ago

Gionta only had 2 in his last 11 games
But DD it's O in his last 13 games

And those 2 minutes of ice-time you're talking about....Gionta spent most of them
(1:20) on the PK .

But still, half of those 13 games....they said he played well, had a few chances and bla bla bla. But you're right, he can play in the NHL.....can he be effective and helpful to a team....i highly doubt it!!

Old
11-17-2013, 08:42 AM
MarkovsKnee

Habs should waive DD maybe he finds his game with Hamilton. His contract is for 3 more years, so it's not like the Habs aren't going to give him another chance next year.

It's a bad contract. It hurts against the cap but we can survive it.
T.O waived Liles. Habs can waive DD. It's not like Habs need the cap space mid-season anyway. Signings happen in the off-season. I don't expect us to make a major trade that would require us to take on salary either. It is what it is.

Centres should be Plekanec, Eller, Briere and White.

Old
11-17-2013, 09:47 AM
pine*

Cheechoo once scored 56 goals, is he still an NHLer?

Old
11-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
you really think players have a say on what's shown on 24CH ? really ?
They talked about it during a TSN broadcast. They do ask players if they want certain things shown and PK's scene in particular was brought up.

Old
11-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:

You make it sound like people didn't think he wasn't a legitimate longterm asset before this season.

He wouldn't have been the top center unless those other teams were also willing to load up his line and make it their mission every game to have that line the easiest matchups at the expense of the rest of the lineup regulated to defensive duties and given ample PP time. Not sure any other team would do that for DD.

Old
11-17-2013, 10:07 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:

He's a mediocre player.

Old
11-17-2013, 10:43 AM
Big Lurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
You make it sound like people didn't think he wasn't a legitimate longterm asset before this season.

He wouldn't have been the top center unless those other teams were also willing to load up his line and make it their mission every game to have that line the easiest matchups at the expense of the rest of the lineup regulated to defensive duties and given ample PP time. Not sure any other team would do that for DD.
Well I think most of us agreed that with Galchenyuk coming in, Eller progessing, and Plekanec being Plekanec, Desharnais was the one who had to go.

Me personally I just don't get why we're too good for Jagr, Morrow, Ryder, Lecavalier etc.

But we're offering contracts to Desharnais, Bouillon, and Diaz is about to get 3 x 3 mil

Old
11-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pine View Post
Cheechoo once scored 56 goals, is he still an NHLer?
No. So we found 1 case in this whole NHL....of a guy fairly young and totally falling off the face of the earth. Unless we also think of Raycroft. But there are WAY more cases of guys that got it going after a tough stretch then guys falling off planet earth.

Besides after Cheechoo scored 56 goals and 93 points, he did have a 69 point season right after. And then it started to fall though a 23-goal season season 2 after his big season. So he was obviously regressing....but didn't drop dead like Desharnais is. So DD is a really special case. A case that you do think means, his 60 points was solely the result of Cole and MaxPac, yet, people who remember him play, also remember that he was doing things he's not doing anymore. Does he now know that it hurts too much that he can't endure the pain anymore? Maybe. Lost the love of the game? Maybe. There are reasons.....so they are just interesting to find out. And every freakin human being hate being wrong. Bergevin will not want to be associated in such a freakin mistake, not after such a young GM career, after he is suppose to have "a plan". DD not being a NHL'er was not in his plan. And admitting he made such a mistake, while it will probably happen, he wants to push it as far as he can. We'll see how much patience he has.

Listen, I try to see from their point of view. Pretty tough as Therrien isn't a good coach and how we are getting impatient with Bergevin lack of great moves. I also would have send DD in Hamilton to get his game going. But at this point, I'm also not enthusiastic about White's game which cannot make me choose him over DD. Bring me somebody else, and I'll gladly remove DD from my starting lineup. In the meantime, we have to do with and really hope he gets his game going.

But he might also have the Bulis syndrom.....when you start thinking that you might be better than you actually are....you also sometimes fell off the planet...

Old
11-17-2013, 01:15 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lurk View Post
Me personally I just don't get why we're too good for Jagr, Morrow, Ryder, Lecavalier etc.
I can help you out with at least one of those... Lecavalier didn't want to sign here. As for the others, are you sure you would want them at this stage in their careers.

Old
11-17-2013, 01:20 PM
pine*

Quote:
I can help you out with at least one of those... Lecavalier didn't want to sign here. As for the others, are you sure you would want them at this stage in their careers.
I fail to see how any of the choices enumerated by the previous poster would be worse than Daniel Brière, other than the fact that the latter speaks french.

Closed Thread