HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Easiest shutout for future HoF Cam Talbot

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-17-2013, 02:23 PM
  #426
Macbeth
Registered User
 
Macbeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Petite-Patrie, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think DD is getting ice time because he's a french boy. I don't think he got an extension because he's french either, just have to look at Emelin to realize that, and possibly PK-Diaz soon.

That being said, we know Bergevin wouldn't have been hired if he didn't speak french. The same is true of Therrien. So ya, can't blame people if they feel a player is being used a certain way just because he's french.

I really don't like talking about this stuff, but I can't find any reason other than the french part for targeting Briere over Jagr. I seriously don't think Briere would be here if he was from another country.
Do we really know this, though ?

What I remember is the job being first offered to Jim Nill who turned it down. Jim Nill speaks french as well as I speak urdu.

Teams around the league do the "bring in the local boy" stuff all the time. It's good business and sometimes it pays off on the ice. Local players in Montréal usually happen to speak french because they were born in a french-speaking province. Beside personal prejudices and whatnot, I can't see why it should bother Canadiens fans anymore than it does other fanbases; and I don't exactly see the same kind of venom spewed in comparable cases.

Anyhow, we know this team sucks because Therrien is Therrien and Desharnais is Desharnais, innit ?

Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:28 PM
  #427
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You got it twisted buddy, Therrien is why PK won the Norris! Doesn't matter that he was already on his way up and started playing amazing right away despite not having a camp, nope Therrien is just awesome..

I was always skeptical that Therrien changed his coaching method because of his poor analysis of games/players whenever he went on AC. But I decided to let it go because I figured things might be scripted. I guess things aren't scripted and he's just the same old horrible coach. He's just horrible, and we should be moving him out ASAP before he ruins our team more.
Meh....I never believed in him. I did have some hope for Bergy but that's dwindling. He can regain my trust if he gets it togeher.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:29 PM
  #428
charlie
Registered User
 
charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,350
vCash: 500
If we could get our PP going we win this game.
That is all we have to do!!

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:32 PM
  #429
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,334
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
If we could get our PP going we win this game.
That is all we have to do!!
Every year it's the same thing. We need our 5 on 5 play to be better. Need another game breaker type of forward badly

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:48 PM
  #430
bipolarhabfan
Registered User
 
bipolarhabfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Every year it's the same thing. We need our 5 on 5 play to be better. Need another game breaker type of forward badly
It has been the same every year but management has decided on the "patience-is-best" approach. In other words, do nothing and wait for a healthy lineup.

The performance tonight was dreadful. Without Price in net, we would be in the Buffalo/Edmonton/Florida grouping. This team has zero creativity, no identity, and absolutely no fire. It could be the coach but at the end of the day, the players are most responsible for this. There has not been a game breaking forward on this team since the mid-nineties. That is sad, very sad.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:50 PM
  #431
Cedream
Registered User
 
Cedream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Saint-Eustache
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
lol at this thread

Cedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:51 PM
  #432
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
Do we really know this, though ?

What I remember is the job being first offered to Jim Nill who turned it down. Jim Nill speaks french as well as I speak urdu.

Teams around the league do the "bring in the local boy" stuff all the time. It's good business and sometimes it pays off on the ice. Local players in Montréal usually happen to speak french because they were born in a french-speaking province. Beside personal prejudices and whatnot, I can't see why it should bother Canadiens fans anymore than it does other fanbases; and I don't exactly see the same kind of venom spewed in comparable cases.

Anyhow, we know this team sucks because Therrien is Therrien and Desharnais is Desharnais, innit ?
They could have interviewed 50 english guys for the GM position, I have a hard time believing the same guy who apologized for having a non-french interim coach will hire an english GM just a few months afterwards.
Don't know this for a fact, but I just don't believe it.

It's pretty simple to understand why it bothers Canadians more than other fan bases, we're the only bilingual city and the french people go out of their way to repeat over and over again how it's important to have french speaking players.
People don't have an issue with bringing in local guys, they have an issue when guys that aren't the best choices are chosen over seemingly better options. You're not going to convince me that Therrien was the best coach available, that it was definitely our best course of action, nor that Briere was a better option than Jagr.
Sometimes, there's decisions that don't make a lot of sense, that's what people are against and that's why we hear these comments.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:00 PM
  #433
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
It has been the same every year but management has decided on the "patience-is-best" approach. In other words, do nothing and wait for a healthy lineup.

The performance tonight was dreadful. Without Price in net, we would be in the Buffalo/Edmonton/Florida grouping. This team has zero creativity, no identity, and absolutely no fire. It could be the coach but at the end of the day, the players are most responsible for this. There has not been a game breaking forward on this team since the mid-nineties. That is sad, very sad.
Funny considering Bergevin and Therrien both said that even if we're going to go through growing pains, the attitude of the guys will always be different and we'll never be an easy team to play against.

After seeing Therrien on 24CH, I always felt he looked like a pee-wee coach, his speeches are so lame. I wouldn't be surprised if the guys stopped playing for him already.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:02 PM
  #434
Macbeth
Registered User
 
Macbeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Petite-Patrie, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
They could have interviewed 50 english guys for the GM position, I have a hard time believing the same guy who apologized for having a non-french interim coach will hire an english GM just a few months afterwards.
Don't know this for a fact, but I just don't believe it.

It's pretty simple to understand why it bothers Canadians more than other fan bases, we're the only bilingual city and the french people go out of their way to repeat over and over again how it's important to have french speaking players.
People don't have an issue with bringing in local guys, they have an issue when guys that aren't the best choices are chosen over seemingly better options. You're not going to convince me that Therrien was the best coach available, that it was definitely our best course of action, nor that Briere was a better option than Jagr.
Sometimes, there's decisions that don't make a lot of sense, that's what people are against and that's why we hear these comments.
Was Gomez bought out because he had mexican bloodlines or because he just plain sucked ?

That's my point.

I don't know why you get the feeling I was trying to convince you of anything other than limiting oneself's analysis of - or insisting on a player's, coach's or manager's short-comings or mistakesis tied to his origins or some pseudo grand, sinister business plan is short-sighted ignorance and stupidity.

I am disappointed in the team's performances, but if one stabs Therrien in the gut for his overuse of Desharnais (because french, obviously), one has to do the same to Therrien for his recent misuse of Bournival (because fren... oh).

Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:03 PM
  #435
Lshap
Moderator
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
They could have interviewed 50 english guys for the GM position, I have a hard time believing the same guy who apologized for having a non-french interim coach will hire an english GM just a few months afterwards.
Don't know this for a fact, but I just don't believe it.

It's pretty simple to understand why it bothers Canadians more than other fan bases, we're the only bilingual city and the french people go out of their way to repeat over and over again how it's important to have french speaking players.
People don't have an issue with bringing in local guys, they have an issue when guys that aren't the best choices are chosen over seemingly better options. You're not going to convince me that Therrien was the best coach available, that it was definitely our best course of action, nor that Briere was a better option than Jagr.
Sometimes, there's decisions that don't make a lot of sense, that's what people are against and that's why we hear these comments.
I think we're stuck with the french coach compromise, but at least there's less pressure to have local presence on the ice. A few years back, I think we might have had only one francophone player and nobody moaned about it.

Ironic that it used to be the opposite decades ago -- the team was stocked with Quebec players but the coach and management were english.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:06 PM
  #436
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Funny considering Bergevin and Therrien both said that even if we're going to go through growing pains, the attitude of the guys will always be different and we'll never be an easy team to play against.

After seeing Therrien on 24CH, I always felt he looked like a pee-wee coach, his speeches are so lame. I wouldn't be surprised if the guys stopped playing for him already.
It's always the same thing: ''go to the net'' ''skate-skate-skate'' ''be strong on the puck'' ''get shots to the net'' etc...

Like no *&?%$g **** Sherlock.

Got anything beyond that? Nope.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:17 PM
  #437
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,010
vCash: 500
There is quite a good French coach on the market right now in Boucher. There's some things about him I'm skeptical of - one of his biggest failings at Tampa was, much like Martin - stick with his system at the expense of individual players, but at least he had a system. It's hard to blame him completely for Tampa's inability to keep possession after their first year when their defense was so bad. There was a peroid where the only blueliner on that team who looked like an NHLer was Hedman. Therrien got us to play more aggressive but without any real tactical subtlety the effect has already wore off.

What concerns me is if Therrien lasts long enough for Boucher to get another job, who would we turn to next?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:22 PM
  #438
bipolarhabfan
Registered User
 
bipolarhabfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Funny considering Bergevin and Therrien both said that even if we're going to go through growing pains, the attitude of the guys will always be different and we'll never be an easy team to play against.

After seeing Therrien on 24CH, I always felt he looked like a pee-wee coach, his speeches are so lame. I wouldn't be surprised if the guys stopped playing for him already.
I think they have tuned him out. The whole team has given up on him and the season hence why they are so easy to play against.

However, the players on the ice are ultimately responsible. We do not have the depth and the good players to complete with half the league. A number of coaches have come and gone but the results have been the same, a mediocre team and boring product on the ice.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:23 PM
  #439
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 14,271
vCash: 500
Sad bunch of bipolar *****es we have on this forum...

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:28 PM
  #440
Narg98
Registered User
 
Narg98's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Belgium
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Sad bunch of bipolar *****es we have on this forum...
Indeed... it's so sad !

Narg98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:29 PM
  #441
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW
 
Hannibal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
There is quite a good French coach on the market right now in Boucher. There's some things about him I'm skeptical of - one of his biggest failings at Tampa was, much like Martin - stick with his system at the expense of individual players, but at least he had a system. It's hard to blame him completely for Tampa's inability to keep possession after their first year when their defense was so bad. There was a peroid where the only blueliner on that team who looked like an NHLer was Hedman. Therrien got us to play more aggressive but without any real tactical subtlety the effect has already wore off.

What concerns me is if Therrien lasts long enough for Boucher to get another job, who would we turn to next?
Do not touch Boucher with a 10 feet poll.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:34 PM
  #442
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Do not touch Boucher with a 10 feet poll.
And why not?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:34 PM
  #443
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,273
vCash: 500
I thought the Habs played a decent game overall. Just couldn't finish and didn't get the bounces. Really bad penalty by Pacioretty to give them that 5 on 3 goal, otherwise Habs come out with a point. But you can't win if you don't score. They lost 1 nothing on the trail end of a back to back. It happens.

Jigger77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:37 PM
  #444
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I thought the Habs played a decent game overall. Just couldn't finish and didn't get the bounces. Really bad penalty by Pacioretty to give them that 5 on 3 goal, otherwise Habs come out with a point. But you can't win if you don't score. They lost 1 nothing on the trail end of a back to back. It happens.
By really bad penalty, do you mean to say awful call?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:41 PM
  #445
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
By really bad penalty, do you mean to say awful call?
Questionable, yeah. But most are nowadays. The Habs were buzzing in the offensive zone during that PK and he put his stick on the guy and it happened in the slot so ref had to call it.

Jigger77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:44 PM
  #446
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Questionable, yeah. But most are nowadays. The Habs were buzzing in the offensive zone during that PK and he put his stick on the guy and it happened in the slot so ref had to call it.
It was a pretty blatant dive. Not sure max even touched him. Real awful call, expecially considering we were down a man already.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:44 PM
  #447
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Do not touch Boucher with a 10 feet poll.
The old 1-3-1 system. Boring.

Detroit Red Wings star Henrik Zetterberg summed things up for most right-thinking fans of the game.

"Hilarious," Zetterberg said. "It was a good way to show how boring it could be if the other team doesn't do anything. That's the way we played in Sweden 10, 12 years ago. A 1-3-1, really strict, and the game became really boring.

"With the skill we have in this league, you shouldn't be able to play that way. If a team wants to do it (fine), but it's a waste of talent."

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:44 PM
  #448
Raider917
Registered User
 
Raider917's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Sad bunch of bipolar *****es we have on this forum...
do bipolar people have highs and lows? if so then im safe cause its never high with me

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:51 PM
  #449
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
And why not?
People associate him with automatic 1-3-1.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 04:00 PM
  #450
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
People associate him with automatic 1-3-1.
Not sure he'd necessarily implement the same system.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.