HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFC 167 GSP vs. Hendricks (UPD Post 774: GSP announces semi-retirement/title forfeit)

Old
11-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Cedream

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
He never had it, he let go to try and gain better positioning, if you think GSP let him go because he tapped, don't you think GSP/GSP's corner would have made mention of this during the fight, I mean come on.

People claiming damage isn't a criteria for scoring are using a copout, and it's not even true. Effective striking includes damage, and impact from strikes, not just quantity, but quality, quality is more important.

I see this all the time to justify these silly decisions we see lately, but it's not true and has never been the intention of the unified rules. IT's BS.
If by damage you mean that for exemple if i hit somebody and he got a bruise from that hit i get more points then if i hit him the exact same way and he have not apparent mark on his face your wrong

Cedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Mrb1p

''Pointing'' system in a ''ultimate fighter'' sport. always makes me laugh.

I don't know why people like violence that much... Brain dead society.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedream View Post
If by damage you mean that for exemple if i hit somebody and he got a bruise from that hit i get more points then if i hit him the exact same way and he have not apparent mark on his face your wrong
We both know that a clean Hendricks punch has more power behind it than a clean GSP punch, which is what he's implying in effectiveness of the striking.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Strange though....why does he moves it like that? And when you look at what GSP was doing at the time.....not too far fetched to think that it could have been a way to start tapping unless he felt GSP wasn't then going to hold him...
Why? Because he has a 170lbs guy over him trying to choke him and he's trying to get out of it by bringing his arm inside to push off the legs.

It wasn't a tap and there's no way GSP let's go if he's that close to finishing.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Why? Because he has a 170lbs guy over him trying to choke him and he's trying to get out of it by bringing his arm inside to push off the legs.

It wasn't a tap and there's no way GSP let's go if he's that close to finishing.
Possible that both guys feel different things? One thinks it's not solid enough...the other feel he's about to give up? Probably not at that level but tough to know from our chairs.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
The impact of the strikes is part of the criteria.

Old
11-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Cedream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
We both know that a clean Hendricks punch has more power behind it than a clean GSP punch, which is what he's implying in effectiveness of the striking.
Well apparently he was only going 75% so maybe 75% of hendricks power equals GSP....? Just joking there but my only point was that physical damage has bruise blackeye etc dont change nothing. Edit: im wrong just reread the rules

Last edited by Cedream: 11-17-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old
11-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Possible that both guys feel different things? One thinks it's not solid enough...the other feel he's about to give up? Probably not at that level but tough to know from our chairs.
That happened in the first round, I don't Hendricks who's had to work so hard for this opportunity, would tap to a choke who wasn't even deep. Plus, I think he would have fallen asleep way before tapping in a fight like this.

Old
11-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
But why would GSP let it go? He would keep it until the referee comes in. Makes no sense.

Old
11-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Cedream

Quote:
The impact of the strikes is part of the criteria.
Yeah just reread the rules. Seems like im wrong. But somes people just got bruises more easily than other people so i find this bad a bit (in general this a nothing to do with the GSP fight)

Old
11-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 670
Quote:
Yeah just reread the rules. Seems like im wrong. But somes people just got bruises more easily than other people so i find this bad a bit (in general this a nothing to do with the GSP fight)
It's true, in fights that GSP completely and utterly dominates he comes out looking like he got beat by a baseball bat. The guy just bleeds and bruises so easily it's insane.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Some bruise easier than others, but if you bruise, it's likely because there was an effective punch thrown. You won't get a black eye from a slap.

Old
11-17-2013, 05:24 PM
dukeofjive

I am a big GSP fan but last night fight was won by hendricks. Gsp didint hurt hendricks as much and didint control the fight like we are used to seeing, hendricks should be the champ.

Just my 2 cents

dukeofjive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
But why would GSP let it go? He would keep it until the referee comes in. Makes no sense.
Wasn't comfortable himself? Just finding that little tap move he made pretty odd. You may be right though.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 05:39 PM
FF de Mars

The UFC has become the Olympics. You win when you score the most points. It doesn't have anything to do with power. But the thing is... it's ok like that. It's mainstream like hockey and diving. But it's good. It's a fencing match. GSP is good at that, and I congradulate him for it.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post

Yet you can't keep your nose/opinions out of this thread. Why don't you start a 'ballet' thread if MMA is too 'violent' for you? Discuss some dance moves with others of your pedigree? Sound like a plan?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 05:57 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Yet you can't keep your nose/opinions out of this thread. Why don't you start a 'ballet' thread if MMA is too 'violent' for you? Discuss some dance moves with others of your pedigree? Sound like a plan?
Because I love blood and violence too.

I just find it utterly stupid.

And you should too.

Old
11-17-2013, 06:09 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Literally zero to do with facial damage, some bruise easier than others. know many here are proud of gsp and will defend him no matter what, you can still be proud of him and admit he lost.

By quality, it's what punches are clean and hurt. GSP's jabs had nothing on the counter uppercuts and overhand lefts that Hendricks was landing. GSP should land more shots, based on style alone, the fact hendricks landed as many shots, many with way more conviction tells the real story. GSP was hurt more than once, hendricks never was.

Hendricks controlled the action and was even stronger in the clinch, dictating who was up against the cage ect, often reversing positioning when gsp tried for the td's. It wasn't really close, Hendricks laid a beat down on him.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Andros777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post

Fighting sports have been part of every civilized society from Ancient Greece down to the present and were participated in by many people who are generally considered to have been "smart". So your attempt to put martial arts with all it's "stupid" proponents on one side and yourself on the other smacks of ignorance and arrogance.

And as far as calling it "just violence" goes. I don't see how your opinion on this sport is any more valuable or insightful than the person who thinks hockey is just a bunch of guys batting a puck around with a stick and painting is just throwing paint at a canvas. You clearly haven't ever seriously watched a fight before.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post
Fighting sports have been part of every civilized society from Ancient Greece down to the present and were participated in by many people who are generally considered to have been "smart". So your attempt to put martial arts with all it's "stupid" proponents on one side and yourself on the other smacks of ignorance and arrogance.

And as far as calling it "just violence" goes. I don't see how your opinion on this sport is any more valuable or insightful than the person who thinks hockey is just a bunch of guys batting a puck around with a stick and painting is just throwing paint at a canvas. You clearly haven't ever seriously watched a fight before.
Jumping to conclusions... I never stated I didn't like it

Also the ''it has been like that forever'' argument is bad. We had slaves for milleniums... Why stop? I surely would like to have 4-5 slaves around my house.

Old
11-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
The UFC has become the Olympics. You win when you score the most points. It doesn't have anything to do with power. But the thing is... it's ok like that. It's mainstream like hockey and diving. But it's good. It's a fencing match. GSP is good at that, and I congradulate him for it.
Well, there is no MMA in the Olympics and the scoring is clear there, not the case here.
What earns you a point? What earns you two?
GSP landed the most strikes and he pushed the fight for the most part. However, he didn't control the place of the fight, and the impact of his strikes were nowhere near as close as to Kendricks. He also got knocked down and taken down.

There's no way GSP should have won even by scoring, not if the judges actually followed the scoring criteria.

Old
11-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Habsawce

It was clear that Hendricks was much stronger than GSP thought he would be in the clinch. A lot of time where Hendricks just leaned on him to catch his breath when normally GSP would be taking it to the ground and pushing the pace to control the fight.

Honestly, it kind of seemed like GSP half assed trained for the fight. He didn't have the same snap or speed in anything he did. One foot out the door well before this fight took place it would seem.

Old
11-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
It was clear that Hendricks was much stronger than GSP thought he would be in the clinch. A lot of time where Hendricks just leaned on him to catch his breath when normally GSP would be taking it to the ground and pushing the pace to control the fight.

Honestly, it kind of seemed like GSP half assed trained for the fight. He didn't have the same snap or speed in anything he did. One foot out the door well before this fight took place it would seem.
If you watched UFC Primetime, he clearly didn't. He took this fight very seriously.

Old
11-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
If you watched UFC Primetime, he clearly didn't. He took this fight very seriously.
Didn't watch it so I'll have to take your word for it. Just my opinion from watching the fight, I'm not in the gym with him and I don' tknow him personally so it's clearly a subjective view of the outcome and performance.

Old
11-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Didn't watch it so I'll have to take your word for it. Just my opinion from watching the fight, I'm not in the gym with him and I don' tknow him personally so it's clearly a subjective view of the outcome and performance.

Starts at 7:02