Notices

The next 'Special K'? Torey Krug

Old
11-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Sea Bass Neely

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
Don't think Krug's turnover was overblown at all. To me, the worst thing about it was that it was his second failed attempt to rush the puck up the ice in a matter of seconds that caused it.

The thing is, I think you just have to roll with the punches on this one. His best attribute by far is his confidence with the puck. These types of things are going to happen with the way he plays. I actually thought we'd be seeing stuff like this happen WAY more frequently with the type of game he plays, but he's been really good at keeping it under control so far. If this starts happening more frequently, he might have to dial it back a bit. As for now, roll with the punches.
I honestly think, and i'm not trying to come off like Sigmund Freud here i'm just saying, that part of Krug trying to make the sexy play late in the period (or perhaps even part of the reason he forgot the situation he was playing it) was because he'd dodged what would've been a huge open-ice hit that might've flattened him if not for his heads-up twist/bracing.

But he still felt the hit, and i think with all the adrenaline of coming out on top there it got to his head and he was playing with an overzealous mojo on the ensuing play.

I remember saying to myself, "way to keep you head up KRUUG" and congratulating him seconds before his horrendous turnover that totally left Rask out to dry. We can't expect Tuukka to bail us out of such prime scoring chances every time!!

That's just a hunch anyway... and at the end of the day chalk it up to a very bad rookie mistake that Torey will learn from. He is a smarter player than that.

Sea Bass Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

vCash: 300
Ya sucks too, I bet if Neil doesn't score that goal, we end up winning that game.

Bruinswillwin77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 12:38 PM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
IMO he shoots to much when the shot is not there. Also, IMO, he is to small t play D on this team. And please don't give me that PMD stuff.
Wake up and smell 21st century hockey. The rules of the game today favor smaller/shiftier players far more than they did in the past. I would never put two d-men Krug's size on the same pairing because they would get pushed around too much down low, but one is fine. As long as Krug (or any other smaller D) plays smart and to his strengths, they can be effective. The kid is a rookie in the NHL, he is going to make mistakes. Better that he makes them now than in the playoffs in a huge moment.

Scoff all you want about PMD's, but last season the rest of the NHL was onto the B's laborious D to D passing scheme, and without the injection of Krug/Hamilton/Bart last year in the playoffs, they don't make the Finals. In order to be successful now in the NHL, you have to have d-men that can quickly move the puck out of their own end, whether it be by skating or quick, accurate passes. Playing the Three Amigos regularly now will pay dividends later in the season.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Marshmont View Post
I'd say the same thing in a Seidenberg or Chara thread, but none exist. I believe in the post you quoted I stated spelling the vets was as vital and giving the young guys a game or two off. Plus, I was explicitly responding to someone who mentioned that the depth this team has at defense allows this team the ability to do so.

I'm sure he sees quite a bit of film as they all do. That same kind of analysis can also happen up on floor 9.

Krug should play often and I never said otherwise. This is also his first NHL season and again, the opportunity to take a spell in a fairly insigificant game against, let's say Calgary, is one less game's worth of wear on him come playoff time. He's young....but regardless of age, all these guys still take a beating.

It's not an indictment on the kid's play. The positives still outweigh the negatives. It's simply a desire to use the depth we have to achieve a longer-term goal of using that rotation to provide the freshest team possible when the games start to count.
fair enough.

What i really need to know if the pronunciation of Marshmont has changed.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 12:57 PM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
fair enough.

Should we be pronouncing it Marsh-mant now?

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
fair enough.

Well ****.

Do I have to do everything around here?

If I have to re-learn how to say my own screen name I'm just gonna quit HF altogether. Someone else is gonna have to channel the damn moose.

11-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Beyonder91
Seids the Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
Don't think Krug's turnover was overblown at all. To me, the worst thing about it was that it was his second failed attempt to rush the puck up the ice in a matter of seconds that caused it.

The thing is, I think you just have to roll with the punches on this one. His best attribute by far is his confidence with the puck. These types of things are going to happen with the way he plays. I actually thought we'd be seeing stuff like this happen WAY more frequently with the type of game he plays, but he's been really good at keeping it under control so far. If this starts happening more frequently, he might have to dial it back a bit. As for now, roll with the punches.
He certainly turned it over but we had a guy back (Seidenberg) and Campbell as well in the neutral zone. It certainly wasn't a high quality scoring chance for Neil.

Grizzzly also makes a great point that Krug was looking for the stretch pass to Marchand (likely for a tip deep into Sens zone) yet Marchand was busy standing there facing the Sens bench. Seidenberg also gave a bad pass to Krug causing him to have a stretch to receive it and turn back. The play was also close to being offside for the Sens. I wasn't watching live when the play happened but I was reading our board and from the posts I assumed it was a much worse play from Krug.

No question though Krug needs to be better than that.

Beyonder91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 04:49 PM
BergyWho37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac21 View Post
Not sure why people are saying Krug needs a game off...he's been great all year and made a bad play tonight, not the end of the world.
^ This. So Hamilton and Chara chase the same guy behind the net against Columbus and leave guys alone in front of the net rookie mistakes ...but we ripp on Krug for being a puckmover that touches the puck n carries more then anyone ...do you guys really think Karlsson Letang ect don't make bad passes ? Unreal

BergyWho37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 11:08 PM
vjcsmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Donaghy View Post
This. We need guys who think "shoot", which is another reasons I am glad Iginla here. Krug will make mistakes but he is turning out to be exactly what this defense needs.
Agreed. With the way Krug has been shooting, that's exactly what we want him to do, to play with that aggressive mindset offensively. I think that's why our powerplay works now. We have guys willing to pull the trigger instead of just content to pass on, pass on, looking for a perfect shot. PUT it ON NET and good things tend to happen!

Need I remind you of this fiasco?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjY31kGVkVQ

Boston's Powerplay Percentage in the 2013/2014 season
18% rank 17th

Boston's Powerplay Percentage in the 2012/2013 season
14.8% rank 26th

Stepping up from becoming one of the worst powerplay teams in the ENTIRE NHL to an average one is a huge improvement.

vjcsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 12:29 AM
LavioletteScores

I think some of us have forgotten what it was like to have Dennis Wideman as a PMD.

Krug will be fine.

LavioletteScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 12:39 AM
northeastern

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavioletteScores View Post
I think some of us have forgotten what it was like to have Dennis Wideman as a PMD.

Krug will be fine.
this is all that needs to be said. krug is what this team has searched for for a while. he's young. he'll be fine. these types of mistakes will happen to a young player.

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:49 AM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KA View Post
For all the good Krug brings he is going to make the odd bad mistake. Think of how many times he lugs it out of the zone or dekes around a a guy when he is the last man back. Once in awhile he is going to get burned. If it is only once every 19 games I am ok with that. The amount of good he brings far out weighs the bad.

Granted that was one of the worst plays I've seen in a long time besides maybe Smith's in the third

Also, Seidenberg plays his off side when he plays with Chara. Why is Krug the one playing his off side when he plays with Seids? Not saying it's wrong, just curious if anyone has heard why?

I was surprised to see Krug on the right side. One of the NESN broadcasters (Andy Brickley?) said that Krug loves playing the right side--something about having more offensive opportunity/options coming off the wall on the right side as a LH defenseman.

Pretty good that Krug and Seidenberg are both comfortable on either side. Gives the Bruins more flexibility with the overall defense.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 04:16 AM
BklyNBruiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjcsmoke View Post
Agreed. With the way Krug has been shooting, that's exactly what we want him to do, to play with that aggressive mindset offensively. I think that's why our powerplay works now. We have guys willing to pull the trigger instead of just content to pass on, pass on, looking for a perfect shot. PUT it ON NET and good things tend to happen!

Need I remind you of this fiasco?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjY31kGVkVQ

Boston's Powerplay Percentage in the 2013/2014 season
18% rank 17th

Boston's Powerplay Percentage in the 2012/2013 season
14.8% rank 26th

Stepping up from becoming one of the worst powerplay teams in the ENTIRE NHL to an average one is a huge improvement.
Thanks to the Krugg.

BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:14 AM
don

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Wake up and smell 21st century hockey. The rules of the game today favor smaller/shiftier players far more than they did in the past. I would never put two d-men Krug's size on the same pairing because they would get pushed around too much down low, but one is fine. As long as Krug (or any other smaller D) plays smart and to his strengths, they can be effective. The kid is a rookie in the NHL, he is going to make mistakes. Better that he makes them now than in the playoffs in a huge moment.

Scoff all you want about PMD's, but last season the rest of the NHL was onto the B's laborious D to D passing scheme, and without the injection of Krug/Hamilton/Bart last year in the playoffs, they don't make the Finals. In order to be successful now in the NHL, you have to have d-men that can quickly move the puck out of their own end, whether it be by skating or quick, accurate passes. Playing the Three Amigos regularly now will pay dividends later in the season.
Why do you always have to include smart ass comments when you disagree with what someone posts? It subtracts from the quality of the conversation.

don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:46 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Why do you always have to include smart ass comments when you disagree with what someone posts? It subtracts from the quality of the conversation.
It's an affliction

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:18 AM
james30

Wow! a stanley cup contender with an average pp percentage!

do you think the power play has improved slightly because we now have Chara standing in front of every goalie? Or that we have Iginla with all his experience? Or that we...

james30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 01:48 PM
BergyWho37

Quote:
Originally Posted by james30 View Post
Wow! a stanley cup contender with an average pp percentage!

do you think the power play has improved slightly because we now have Chara standing in front of every goalie? Or that we have Iginla with all his experience? Or that we...
Nice post bro.. Krug has defiantly improved our PP and it's a simple as skating forcing other bruins to move around ..we've been so stationary in the past making it easy for other teams to read the plays

BergyWho37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:07 PM
TCL40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
I was surprised to see Krug on the right side. One of the NESN broadcasters (Andy Brickley?) said that Krug loves playing the right side--something about having more offensive opportunity/options coming off the wall on the right side as a LH defenseman.

Pretty good that Krug and Seidenberg are both comfortable on either side. Gives the Bruins more flexibility with the overall defense.
Can't hurt any for him to master both.

I think his turnover in the Sens game was one of his worst mistakes but honestly he has been good for the team and isn't the defensive liability he could be as a rookie.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 04:40 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
Can't hurt any for him to master both.

I think his turnover in the Sens game was one of his worst mistakes but honestly he has been good for the team and isn't the defensive liability he could be as a rookie.
Has Krug played the right side,the last two games? He hasn't looked sharp defensively in the last two games, maybe it is time to put him back on the left side.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 04:56 PM
topched88

Hey guys canucks fan here,

Looking for your thoughts on Krug as a fantasy player where only points count? Thinking of picking him up in my keeper league, does it look like he will be quarterbacking the powerplay for the near future? Any chance Chara moves back from the post infront of the net or is Hamilton threatening his time there at all? I thought if he is playing those minutes on the pp with his skillset he could put up 40+ points, is that a wild guess?

topched88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 06:02 PM
TCL40

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched88 View Post

Looking for your thoughts on Krug as a fantasy player where only points count? Thinking of picking him up in my keeper league, does it look like he will be quarterbacking the powerplay for the near future? Any chance Chara moves back from the post infront of the net or is Hamilton threatening his time there at all? I thought if he is playing those minutes on the pp with his skillset he could put up 40+ points, is that a wild guess?
As long as he is healthy he will be on the PP.
I think barring a rookie setback he could possibly hit 40 pts-no guarantees of course but right now he is one of the top scorers right now-11th points, 2nd in goals.

I don't play fantasy but he seems like a good risk to take.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 06:36 PM
vjcsmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched88 View Post

Krug will continue to put up points. So if you are picking him up for a fantasy team, especially if it is off the waiver wire, then he's a great pickup. I don't expect him to continue to score at this pace but he's an important part of our Powerplay and offense.

And for those still complaining about Krug and trying to ship him off consider this:

Kris Letang 8 years/58 million dollars
11 games 4 goals 1 assist 5 points -7 plus/minus

Torey Krug 3 years/2.75 million dollars
19 games 6 goals 6 assists 12 points +4 plus/minus

Last edited by vjcsmoke: 11-17-2013 at 06:52 PM.
vjcsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 06:41 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Krug is bordering on an elite fantasy defenseman at this point. If he is available in your league right now, then everyone must have fallen asleep

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
Krug is bordering on an elite fantasy defenseman at this point. If he is available in your league right now, then everyone must have fallen asleep
Not in my league. I drafted him right off the bat.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Mainehockey33

Thinking back to the draft where we got Dougie, I remember being pissed because I wanted them to draft Murphy instead. That was before Dougie started tearing up the OHL and I got excited about his potential... Now that we have Krug it's like we landed a Ryan Murphy type for free, and as of right now better. It couldn't have worked out any better.

Mainehockey33 is online now   Reply With Quote