HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

UFC 167 GSP vs. Hendricks (UPD Post 774: GSP announces semi-retirement/title forfeit)

Old
11-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
''Pointing'' system in a ''ultimate fighter'' sport. always makes me laugh.

I don't know why people like violence that much... Brain dead society.
It's people that pretend to have no agression that worries me.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
The UFC has become the Olympics. You win when you score the most points. It doesn't have anything to do with power. But the thing is... it's ok like that. It's mainstream like hockey and diving. But it's good. It's a fencing match. GSP is good at that, and I congradulate him for it.
They should do one round and you go all out, the winner is the one that wins the fight period. And do this in boxing too.

Old
11-17-2013, 06:17 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post
Fighting sports have been part of every civilized society from Ancient Greece down to the present and were participated in by many people who are generally considered to have been "smart". So your attempt to put martial arts with all it's "stupid" proponents on one side and yourself on the other smacks of ignorance and arrogance.

And as far as calling it "just violence" goes. I don't see how your opinion on this sport is any more valuable or insightful than the person who thinks hockey is just a bunch of guys batting a puck around with a stick and painting is just throwing paint at a canvas. You clearly haven't ever seriously watched a fight before.
Men can be smart but they're also weak and driven by their desires.

For all men have sinned and fall short of the glory of God - Romans 3:23

Thank God I'm a woman.

SergeConstantin74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
They should do one round and you go all out, the winner is the one that wins the fight period. And do this in boxing too.
One round either 15 or 25 minutes haha. Imagine how tired they'd be at about 8 minutes it would be 2 guys just standing int he ring slapping each other breathing heavy.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
They should do away with rewarding points for takedowns, when nothing happens after the takedown. It's a useless reward when a fighter takes another down, and they get back up.

If you take a man down you must have a following move, or a purpose for that takedown. (no homo)

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Men can be smart but they're also weak and driven by their desires.

For all men have sinned and fall short of the glory of God - Romans 3:23

Thank God I'm a woman.

- 1 Timothy 2:12 ESV / 17 helpful votes

I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. - 1 Timothy 2:12

Good thing i'm a man...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 08:33 PM
SB164

"I need to make a point, man," St-Pierre said. "I can't, I can't sleep at night now. I'm going crazy. I have issues, man. I need to relax. I need to get out for a while. I don't know what I'm going to do. I feel like I'm going to let everything out now, but I have to keep some of my stuff, some part of my life, personal."

White expressed an easy confidence that he'd be back soon enough.

"His problems," he said, "aren't as bad as he thinks they are."

http://deadspin.com/the-end-of-georg...ium=socialflow

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 08:53 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
"I need to make a point, man," St-Pierre said. "I can't, I can't sleep at night now. I'm going crazy. I have issues, man. I need to relax. I need to get out for a while. I don't know what I'm going to do. I feel like I'm going to let everything out now, but I have to keep some of my stuff, some part of my life, personal."

White expressed an easy confidence that he'd be back soon enough.

"His problems," he said, "aren't as bad as he thinks they are."

http://deadspin.com/the-end-of-georg...ium=socialflow
White deserves a swift kick in the throat for that kind of ********.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
White deserves a swift kick in the throat for that kind of ********.
Not much difference between him and Roger Goodell, not only ignoring a problem but trying to throw people under the bus for it.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Habs

Quote:
"GSP will not retire," said White. "He will not retire after that fight. He owes it to the fans, he owes it to this company, and he owes it to Johny Hendricks to come in and do that fight again."
That was the last PPV I will ever order. I am not supporting this piece garbage any longer. No Dana, he doesn't owe you anything, I hate to break it to you.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 09:10 PM
FazChenyuk

I still dont see hendricks as the best welterweight in the world.I see gsp as being it.Even if hendricks gets the belt he will lose it he has flaws in his game and i also find hes really short. GSP is the best.

FazChenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
That was the last PPV I will ever order. I am not supporting this piece garbage any longer. No Dana, he doesn't owe you anything, I hate to break it to you.
White has always been a twit. Never liked him. But that's a new low.
After all the money GSP has brought to the UFC, to throw him under the bus like that was just dirty.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 09:52 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Not much difference between him and Roger Goodell, not only ignoring a problem but trying to throw people under the bus for it.
I only know a bit about Goodell, but from what I know, he doesn't seem to be quite so upfront about how much of a ****ing idiot he is regarding other people's health/mental health.

People who have never been close to it don't understand how fragile mental health can be. Not something you take for granted, and not something you pressure someone into endangering just to make you a few more bucks. **** that guy.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 09:53 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
He's turning into another Vince McMahon.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:05 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Dana was right that GSP can't hold the belt as he's gone but GSP does not need to fight if he doesn't want to.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:05 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
One round either 15 or 25 minutes haha. Imagine how tired they'd be at about 8 minutes it would be 2 guys just standing int he ring slapping each other breathing heavy.
It would be like in real life fights, there's no time limits or rounds and they don't last very long. And there's a clear winner.

My uncle back in the 50s he said he was going to a place called "La Tour" around QC city and once a year the Canadian army would go there and basically "pull em up". It was soldier against soldier and no rules, one round. And these guys would go all out, beating themselves up like mad men. One guy basically threw himself at the other guy feet first to the guy's face with his boots on right out of the gate and the match ended in 5 seconds. My uncle was saying those matchs were the funniest things ever but the most entertaining too.

Old
11-17-2013, 11:09 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I only know a bit about Goodell, but from what I know, he doesn't seem to be quite so upfront about how much of a ****ing idiot he is regarding other people's health/mental health.

People who have never been close to it don't understand how fragile mental health can be. Not something you take for granted, and not something you pressure someone into endangering just to make you a few more bucks. **** that guy.
He's like "you have mental issues(probably cause of the blows to the head) but screw that".

Old
11-17-2013, 11:16 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Everybody talks about GSP, but no one talks about Hendricks. The guy just doesn't have anything other than his fists and having about 20 pounds more than all other Welterweight contestants, including GSP. His arms are short and he isn't well rounded. Once GSP retires, the man who's gonna do it all in the 170 lbs division is none other than Carlos Condit. Next time, when GSP won't be there anymore, Condit and Hendricks will go for 5 rounds and I can assure you that the pace and tempo that Condit puts on will be so much for Hendricks to handle. It's called MMA.. can't be a champion if you're only a wrestler or a striker. Cain Velasquez is a well rounded fighter, Weidman and Silva are extremely well rounded,and Jone Bone Jones is a true MMA fighter. No way Hendricks will last on the top of this division after GSP retires.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Et le But

Dana White is human garbage.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 01:25 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Just watched the fight. Johny did deserve it... and after what GSP said at the end, it might've been the right time, if there ever is a right time, to lose his belt...

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:44 AM
Neutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Just watched the fight. Johny did deserve it... and after what GSP said at the end, it might've been the right time, if there ever is a right time, to lose his belt...
I had the same conclusion... If he lost it would have been the passing of the torch, Hendricks is a good guy it would have been a nice moment. Instead we have this clusterfck...

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 04:23 AM
Frankenheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Everybody talks about GSP, but no one talks about Hendricks. The guy just doesn't have anything other than his fists and having about 20 pounds more than all other Welterweight contestants, including GSP. His arms are short and he isn't well rounded. Once GSP retires, the man who's gonna do it all in the 170 lbs division is none other than Carlos Condit. Next time, when GSP won't be there anymore, Condit and Hendricks will go for 5 rounds and I can assure you that the pace and tempo that Condit puts on will be so much for Hendricks to handle. It's called MMA.. can't be a champion if you're only a wrestler or a striker. Cain Velasquez is a well rounded fighter, Weidman and Silva are extremely well rounded,and Jone Bone Jones is a true MMA fighter. No way Hendricks will last on the top of this division after GSP retires.
Condit is very well rounded, but he is not dominant enough to retain the title for very long if he wins it. Whichever fighter becomes the next champ, he has to be as good or better than GSP to hold the title for any length of time.

I think you underestimate Hendricks. You don't need to be awesome in every department, just be able to neutralize other fighters strengths while having at least one dominant dimension. That's been GSPs secret to success. If GSP can't take Hendricks down, no welter weight can. That means any time Hendricks chooses too, it becomes a stand up fight. And he's pretty good there. Great chin, powerful strikes, good timing.

He's beatable though, but has to be someone with equally strong takedown defense and very solid striker. If Hendricks can takedown GSP, he can takedown Condit, and that's game.

GSP has been finding it harder and harder because WWs today are bigger and nearing his equal as a wrestler. His standup reflexes also seem a bit slow. I can't believe how many times he exposed himself to clean shots while trying to take down that human tree trunk.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 07:25 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
I see this as GSP taking a break and then informing Dana White that he will retire a champion and the UFC will make oodles of cash having a mini tournament for the vacant champion's spot. White just showed his true colors and that should tell GSP its about time to quit unless he wants to end up as a blubbering senile brainless idiot vegetable, you know just like our Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 07:41 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

I may be the only one, but I don't find what Dana White said to be crossing the line. He never said GSP shouldn't retire. He said that GSP should either retire or fight. Don't leave for a year (or more) and force Hendricks (the rightful Welterweight champion) to fight down or wait for GSP to solve his mental issues. A lot of fighters have personal issues and they still fight.

Yes GSP brought the UFC a lot of money, but guess what, it's a two way street. GSP makes a reported 12 million for each fight (or year?), and that could only given by the UFC. GSP isn't GSP without the UFC.

What Dana said about GSP's problems not being that big, I don't agree with that at all. But I agree with his overall point of GSP should either retire or fight. The UFC owes a lot to GSP, and they give him everything he deserves... he shouldn't put a whole weightclass title on hold for personal reasons... especially not with the way the fight went. Either retire if the personal issues are too important, or fight when you're physically healthy and ready.

Dirty Danglez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 08:11 AM
Devourers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
I may be the only one, but I don't find what Dana White said to be crossing the line. He never said GSP shouldn't retire. He said that GSP should either retire or fight. Don't leave for a year (or more) and force Hendricks (the rightful Welterweight champion) to fight down or wait for GSP to solve his mental issues. A lot of fighters have personal issues and they still fight.

Yes GSP brought the UFC a lot of money, but guess what, it's a two way street. GSP makes a reported 12 million for each fight (or year?), and that could only given by the UFC. GSP isn't GSP without the UFC.

What Dana said about GSP's problems not being that big, I don't agree with that at all. But I agree with his overall point of GSP should either retire or fight. The UFC owes a lot to GSP, and they give him everything he deserves... he shouldn't put a whole weightclass title on hold for personal reasons... especially not with the way the fight went. Either retire if the personal issues are too important, or fight when you're physically healthy and ready.
It's also a very competitive division, wouldn't be fair to anyone if he put it on hold. I despise Dana to be honest, but I think this is a case where Dana is being misunderstood. I don't believe he wanted it to come out that way, I think he was generally being honest about it, he doesn't feel GSP's problems will hold him out for too long.

Dana is a real jack ass don't get me wrong, but the vibe I got from it wasn't malicious, greedy maybe, but I'd say more on the side of poor choice of words than anything. I think it's being misunderstood.

That being said, GSP stole that one. I disagree with the judges wholeheartedly.

Devourers is offline   Reply With Quote