HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Call up Picard. Please.

Old
12-23-2006, 09:46 PM
jagpanzer

vCash: 500
Quote:
I summed up my "Rbar strategy to the Cup" (TM) in one word: "YANKEES".
And didn't they just pay a $26 million luxury tax for those high players? Holy cripes that is practically our current payroll. We can't (and shouldn't) play that game. The arena only sits 18,000 people. A massive outlay of cash just to have the Cup doesn't seem to make financial sense to me. There just isn't the fanbase or the revenue to do that.

That being said, maybe we should just spend our money a little better and not just spend more of it.....

jagpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 03:43 AM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
Well, I think tonight proves that there has to be something going on behind the scenes (positive, negative or business-related), because Shelley had 2 shifts and wasn't played at all when the game was finally getting a bit chippy.
I've red several notes about Hitch being very stubborn at some decisions. Now I believe too that he's got frustrated with Jody and despite how good/bad the team plays he won't get him any ice time. I don't see this as a good sign for the team, I mean even if Shelley would be the worst forward out there, being down 4 goals and whole team sucking you have absolutely nothing to lose so why still bench Jody? He's there for getting some action done what might boost your team's morale and frustrate opponents, not to score goals... If Jody is not scratched when the holiday roster freeze is over, I don't see good things coming.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Mr Mac

It goes without saying that the Jackets must spend their money wisely.

Now having said that, Mr. Mac certainly has money to spend. He is not long for this world, and I can assure you he would like to see a real playoff team in the very NEAR future. For him to spend another 10 million is nothing, especially when you consider his fortune and his age.

I do not agree with the one or two who have said "we have a budget." Mr. Mac proved in September that he is willing to spend more money for the "right" players. The only problem is "who are the right players?" And he subsequently proved he was willing to spend money on a better coach.

If the Blue Jackets continue to be a "budget team" then I dare say that EVEN MORE fans will ALSO become more budget minded. In fact, we're already seeing that this season in attendance.

Quite frankly, I don't know how those of you who are season ticket holders can justify spending the money on the current hockey product. I can tell you that when I go to games, I no longer buy the better tickets. That way I am not too disappointed when the team continues to struggle. I'm not a pessimist, by the way. Just a realist. I want them to do better, and when they decide to take the investment step, I will return the favor.

Mr Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 08:26 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
yes please call up picard... i need him to keep my keeper league going, injuries are killing me so if he wants to get his first nhl points soon that would be wonderful

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 08:57 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
I do not agree with the one or two who have said "we have a budget." Mr. Mac proved in September that he is willing to spend more money for the "right" players. The only problem is "who are the right players?" And he subsequently proved he was willing to spend money on a better coach.
If we are not on a budget like you say then why are we 7 to 8 million under the cap? Yes we went above our self imposed budget of 36 million but we certainly didn't break the bank.

Those of you who think McConnel is in the business to lose money just aren't being realistic. There is a reason why he got invovled this year and it wasn't just because he didn't like the way Gallant spoke -- he said it himself that he was concerned about the numbers he was seeing that isn't just the win/loss record. A man would could care less about losing millions would not be concerned with such things.

This team is indeed on a budget and that has been covered multiple times by MacLean. In a market our size you have to have a budget.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 08:59 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
yes please call up picard... i need him to keep my keeper league going, injuries are killing me so if he wants to get his first nhl points soon that would be wonderful
Well, I don't know about points, but its not like Shelley is scoring either...

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 11:20 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
It goes without saying that the Jackets must spend their money wisely.

Now having said that, Mr. Mac certainly has money to spend. He is not long for this world, and I can assure you he would like to see a real playoff team in the very NEAR future. For him to spend another 10 million is nothing, especially when you consider his fortune and his age.

If the Blue Jackets continue to be a "budget team" then I dare say that EVEN MORE fans will ALSO become more budget minded. In fact, we're already seeing that this season in attendance.

Quite frankly, I don't know how those of you who are season ticket holders can justify spending the money on the current hockey product. I can tell you that when I go to games, I no longer buy the better tickets. That way I am not too disappointed when the team continues to struggle. I'm not a pessimist, by the way. Just a realist. I want them to do better, and when they decide to take the investment step, I will return the favor.
You and I have argued this before Matt and while we agree on the "spend good money" concept, and "McConnell ponying up the bucks for a winning team before he dies" concept, I don't agree with your "don't buy better tickets" rant.

I'm proud of the fact that I support the team through thick and thin and thinner. Most of the time over the years, the entertainment value I received outweighed the occasional crappy effort they gave on the ice. Going to the games HAS TO BE more than just about watching hockey. If it's only about watching hockey, I can watch from home for free.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 02:55 PM
falcor

i think everyone supports the team through "thick and thin and thinner"..

guess i don't see why someone who is not a fan would waste time posting here. talk about not having a life..

falcor is offline   Reply With Quote