HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

LA - Dal

Old
11-18-2013, 01:32 AM
Satan
& try another year

vCash: 500
No, I'm pretty sure I make that deal on most days and I hate Dustin Brown.

Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 01:42 AM
Ewan McGregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan View Post
No, I'm pretty sure I make that deal on most days and I hate Dustin Brown.
Understandable. Brown's face isn't the most loveable

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 01:56 AM
HolyShot*
Sniper

I don't hate brown. He can be somewhat useful but he's not going to be worth his cap hit.

His numbers may not be there but benn>carter. The old mantra of carter only scores in blowouts is unfortunately somewhat true I feel. I just don't feel the kings will win another cup with this lineup but hey this is a league of parity amirite? Nething can happen so forgot the op. Might as well end thread. How bout those clippers?

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:06 AM
Rune Forumwalker

LA probably gets the better end of the deal, but I'm not sure either team would do this (for different reasons, obviously). The biggest problem is LA would be giving up two core pieces that helped them win a Cup a year and a half ago.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:11 AM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

Just because HFboards thinks Brown is dirty doesn't mean he doesn't have trade value...

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:12 AM
Reclamation Project
Technically, Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyShot View Post
I don't hate brown. He can be somewhat useful but he's not going to be worth his cap hit.

His numbers may not be there but benn>carter. The old mantra of carter only scores in blowouts is unfortunately somewhat true I feel. I just don't feel the kings will win another cup with this lineup but hey this is a league of parity amirite? Nething can happen so forgot the op. Might as well end thread. How bout those clippers?

How can you honestly call yourself a Kings fan while spewing this?

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:13 AM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Jeff Carter and Dustin Brown

for

Jamie Benn

The emergence of Toffoli makes this trade feasible for the Kings who would be getting someone for Kopitar's left wing and a bonafide star (no pun intended). The Stars would be getting a 40+ sniper for the wing/center and someone who could create space with his hits and physicality.

Don't know if this is good value, just wanted some feedback.

Benn could also keep the grit in the lineup with his aggression and fighting (which Brown never did). LA would be losing a great shooter and playmaker in Carter, but having Toffoli is kind of redundant.
Words cannot express the idiocity of your trade proposal.
Absolute GARBAGE.
This proposal is so bad, videogames wouldn't allow it.
GARBAGE.

Now toss the the thread where it belongs mods...

Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:13 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Don't want any part of Brown, his diving is really shameful. Benn is much better than Carter and he is playing too well to consider trading him.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:14 AM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
LA probably gets the better end of the deal, but I'm not sure either team would do this (for different reasons, obviously). The biggest problem is LA would be giving up two core pieces that helped them win a Cup a year and a half ago.
That's why LA isn't getting the better end of the deal.

Lest we forget they also were in the conference finals last year. These aren't aging vets on their last leg. They are key pieces to a successful franchise and both under contract. I can't imagine either franchise doing it, but the value is there for Dallas.

Personally, though, I think you're playing with fire if you break up the Richards/Carter bromance.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:19 AM
oilWILDcountry

Benn's better than both Carter and Brown combined.

oilWILDcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:25 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post

I wish he were a cat and ALF managed to eat him.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:27 AM
Reclamation Project
Technically, Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilWILDcountry View Post
Benn's better than both Carter and Brown combined.
So let's say all three are playing at 100%. You would take Benn over both of them?

Old
11-18-2013, 02:32 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

Dallas gets more value but would not do it in real life. OTOH, I'd feel insulted as the Kings GM to see this as a serious offer.

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:33 AM
volcom92886

Benn by himself doesnt get you Carter.

volcom92886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:34 AM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
So let's say all three are playing at 100%. You would take Benn over both of them?
This quote feels so right for posts like that:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. --Einstein

Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:48 AM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Quote:

It's a risky trade, I admit. But the reward is through the roof if Benn fits in. This would never happen though. Not in a million years, unless LA started tanking because of some unthinkable reason, then it could happen.

Old
11-18-2013, 02:54 AM
Satan
& try another year

Quote:
It's a risky trade, I admit. But the reward is through the roof if Benn fits in. This would never happen though. Not in a million years, unless LA started tanking because of some unthinkable reason, then it could happen.
So why post it?

Actually, don't answer that since 99% of this board is a far-off fantasy land anyway.

Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:55 AM
Reclamation Project
Technically, Missing

I'd say Benn, especially after his chemistry with his line mates this year, is just about untouchable. They already have an elite goalie and a franchise center; and you certainly don't trade someone of his caliber for ancillary pieces. The only possible scenario would be something around Voynov+ and that + would probably have to be pretty ****ing big. Dallas is the real deal.

Two mediocre trading partners. Plus why would LA, a win-now team, trade two huge pieces?

Brutal any way you slice it.

Old
11-18-2013, 03:06 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Carter can score at a 40g per season clip and score both late in 3rd periods and in overtimes, both regular season and playoffs...FROM THE SECOND LINE. Both he and Brown have multiple Conn Smyth votes to their credit.

Benn has nothing but regular season accolades. Would he even be a PPG player in Sutter's system?

I understand of the Dallas fans wouldn't want to trade Benn because they love him. But to say that Benn is worth more than Carter AND Brown? He hasn't accomplished anything to even be worthy of Carter's shadow.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:13 AM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Carter can score at a 40g per season clip and score both late in 3rd periods and in overtimes, both regular season and playoffs...FROM THE SECOND LINE. Both he and Brown have multiple Conn Smyth votes to their credit.

Benn has nothing but regular season accolades. Would he even be a PPG player in Sutter's system?

I understand of the Dallas fans wouldn't want to trade Benn because they love him. But to say that Benn is worth more than Carter AND Brown? He hasn't accomplished anything to even be worthy of Carter's shadow.
You have a point of why would Benn score at PPG in Sutter's system, but let me remind you that Benn has some great mitts and playmaking ability, not to mention he likes to throw down and that he more than probably plays a game that is complementary to both Kopitar and Richards.

He would really bring more scoring to the top six, but like I just said, it's too risky of a trade and neither team would do it. Although, I think Dal considers something like it if they're still a bubble team at around 60 games.

Old
11-18-2013, 03:27 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
I can't stand Brown... but there's no way that LA is getting the better end of this deal. Benn is a very good player... but the difference between Carter and Benn is no way Brown (if it's even LA that's adding).

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:30 AM
Trolfoli

On the plus side if Brown were traded, Dwight King could be double shifted on the top 2 lines!!!!!

Is nice to see Kopitar not included in one of these.

Trolfoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:34 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Carter and Benn are very close pieces when it comes to value, with Benn possibly being worth a little more, but in no universe is the difference between Benn and Carter Dustin Brown. Besides, in no way should the Kings trade Carter just because Toffoli has played very well in a handful of games, Carter and Toffoli are the only shoot first players we have on the team, the last thing I want to do is trade one of them. This makes the Kings worse, much worse.

ScoreZeGoals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:54 AM
Winger23

Quote:
You have a point of why would Benn score at PPG in Sutter's system, but let me remind you that Benn has some great mitts and playmaking ability, not to mention he likes to throw down and that he more than probably plays a game that is complementary to both Kopitar and Richards.

He would really bring more scoring to the top six, but like I just said, it's too risky of a trade and neither team would do it. Although, I think Dal considers something like it if they're still a bubble team at around 60 games.
Jesus you are acting like carter isn't a top 6 forward. You want to trade the only guy on the team that can pot 40 goals and a power forward who averages 20+ a year for a playmaker to a team lacking in true snipers? There's no other way to say it but you are out of your gdamn mind.

Dallas can consider this all they want whenever they want there is no way a trade like this even gets brought up. Sure you don't want to throw in kopi as well? I mean benn is a playmaker, no need for kopi anymore.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 04:35 AM
haf

Ok a few salient facts and a couple of observations:

1) Brown (29), while being a very physical, quality 2nd line scorer, 55 pt guy, his new contract is just crazy. 6 mil per (cap hit) for 8 years. He will turn 30 right after this starts. Anybody think a slowing, physical Dustin Brown will be worth 6 mil at 33, or now even, much less as 38? Yeah, me neither. Definitely worry about his body breaking down playing the way he does over the next couple to three years. (Dallas fans lived through the rapid deterioration of Brendan Morrow).

2) Jeff Carter (28) is a fantastic scorer, and I believe, not as bad defensively as he gets made out to be. The knock on him for me is that he doesn't have success against other teams top defense (this was written about both in philly and columbus). It is always when he plays the 2nd line, against 2nd or 3rd pairings that he succeeds. Still awesome to make a team pick a poison and make them pay. But a lead horse with 30 goals, and a protected 2nd liner with 30 goals are not the same thing, nor do they hold the same value. He has hit 80 pts once and is usually around 65 (adjusted). Totally respectable. Like the guy and probably a reasonable contract at just over 5mil per.

3) Jamie Benn (24) is a very physical player with hands and a great release. While playing 1st-line center the past few years, he has been a 60-70 pt player. Moving back to wing this year (very early) he is on pace for 105 pts. Will that hold up? Probably not but he is plus 9 playing against the other team's top line every night.
*I saw earlier where someone listed stats of shorthanded TOI for Carter and Benn, with Benn having very little. This isn't because Benn is bad defensively, it's because we desperately need him on our power play and we have good bottom 6 penalty killers. L.A. could roll with 3 power play lines I feel if they wanted to (or just about) so can afford to use their best players on their pk. Dallas is struggling to ice one here lately it seems.

tl;dr
The point is this. Of these three, Benn is absolutely the best player. He is younger and more dominant against top competition.
-- Is he better than Brown or Carter to such a degree that it would warrant including both in a trade? Absolutely not. BUT, Brown's contract is terribad, and could really hamstring this team in the very near future.
-- Is Benn's talent enough of an improvement over either one to include both, lose Brown's contract and invest elsewhere? that's debate-able at least.

I still don't think either team would do it. Doesn't really make sense for either.
Just trying to pull some feasibility/coherence out of all that.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote