HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers coach turning to Rinaldo on the penalty kill

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-17-2013, 08:02 PM
  #26
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,749
vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
He's not going to win EVERY ref over...
Still can't have it both ways. He either has a reputation, or he doesn't. Any time he draws a penalty, or gets a penalty, the more convenient rationale is regurgitated. He's a lot of people's personal Jerry Johnson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I am not surprised at all about Zac being on the PK etc..........The kid is a MUCH better skater, puck handler, shot blocker, back checker etc than many on here give him credit for. If he got the minutes of others on this team i still believe he could score 15 goals or more .........He and Grossman would of been right at home on the old 70s teams and Shero would of loved them. You cannot teach HEART !
Do you still leave cookies out for Santa Claus, too? He didn't even do that in juniors.

And the 70s teams didn't have the guy who sat on the end of the bench, much in part to the rosters were smaller. Today's NHL leaves more room for players who aren't as good. You can't teach heart, this is true. You also can't teach talent.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 08:32 PM
  #27
Go For It
Registered User
 
Go For It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Collegeville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,064
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Not that I disagree with you on Rinaldo, but Carcillo really isn't a good example. He has a 12 and 13 goal season under his belt.
I think with Carcillo the popular benchmark might have been 20 goals, but you get my point.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 08:34 PM
  #28
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Still can't have it both ways. He either has a reputation, or he doesn't. Any time he draws a penalty, or gets a penalty, the more convenient rationale is regurgitated. He's a lot of people's personal Jerry Johnson.



Do you still leave cookies out for Santa Claus, too? He didn't even do that in juniors.

And the 70s teams didn't have the guy who sat on the end of the bench, much in part to the rosters were smaller. Today's NHL leaves more room for players who aren't as good. You can't teach heart, this is true. You also can't teach talent.
Exactly...........which meant that the players on the bench got more ice time which is my point about Zac . Zac is a much better player now than back in Juniors, if he got more ice time i can absolutely see him scoring goals . Look at our guys with 18 to 20 + minutes not scoring on great chances ? I like him on the 4th line by the way, his hard nosed hitting style of play fills a nice niche for that line , just saying that i am not surprised he has earned a spot on the PK, because he is steadily improving his overall game .


Last edited by SgtJoseph: 11-17-2013 at 08:58 PM.
SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 07:14 AM
  #29
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,749
vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Exactly...........which meant that the players on the bench got more ice time which is my point about Zac . Zac is a much better player now than back in Juniors, if he got more ice time i can absolutely see him scoring goals . Look at our guys with 18 to 20 + minutes not scoring on great chances ? I like him on the 4th line by the way, his hard nosed hitting style of play fills a nice niche for that line , just saying that i am not surprised he has earned a spot on the PK, because he is steadily improving his overall game .

No, it meant they had better players in in less prominent roles. Especially given there was less teams is the league. If there was 30 teams in 1975, Don Saleski would be Florida Panthers' Bobby Clarke.

Rinaldo had 6 goals in 95 AHL games. He has 5 in 117 NHL games. Career shooting percentage of 5.4% and 6.1% respectively. Rinaldo might be a good goal scorer on NHL14 for you, but you don't have tangible evidence that he would be an effective player if he would be given more chances. He doesn't get those chances because he is a possession bleeder, who often is outplayed by like-competition. Only Rosehill has worse possession numbers, and he's only played in half the games, so it doesn't really count.

Which is why they're trying to make him kill penalties. So he can do something.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 08:17 AM
  #30
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,354
vCash: 491
The less PK time for Giroux, the better.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 09:27 AM
  #31
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
The less PK time for Giroux, the better.
I'm typically against this thinking.

If G is one of your best and a SH scoring threat as a bonus, why not play him there?

I'm the same way with DeSean Jackson returning punts. He's your most dangerous threat, so why not? They can handle the extra work.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 10:20 AM
  #32
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,354
vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
I'm typically against this thinking.

If G is one of your best and a SH scoring threat as a bonus, why not play him there?

I'm the same way with DeSean Jackson returning punts. He's your most dangerous threat, so why not? They can handle the extra work.
This is debatable....

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 08:35 PM
  #33
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
No, it meant they had better players in in less prominent roles. Especially given there was less teams is the league. If there was 30 teams in 1975, Don Saleski would be Florida Panthers' Bobby Clarke.

Rinaldo had 6 goals in 95 AHL games. He has 5 in 117 NHL games. Career shooting percentage of 5.4% and 6.1% respectively. Rinaldo might be a good goal scorer on NHL14 for you, but you don't have tangible evidence that he would be an effective player if he would be given more chances. He doesn't get those chances because he is a possession bleeder, who often is outplayed by like-competition. Only Rosehill has worse possession numbers, and he's only played in half the games, so it doesn't really count.

Which is why they're trying to make him kill penalties. So he can do something.
NHL 14 ? LOL ! I am 55 yrs old my friend, i do not play any of those games . Been watching the Flyers since 1967 and i do understand fully that the league has more teams etc.......I i also recognize that Zac is a much better player than some give him credit for.
Because of his hard hitting type style he has been pretty much delegated to doing those type things which help the team and certainly have afforded him a chance to play in the NHL. Just simply stating that because of his development over the last few years i am not surprised at his being given a chance on the PK and i also would not be shocked at all if the lad punched in 15 goals if given the ice time....Will that ever happen ? probably not because of the niche he fills for our club . Not saying Zac is a sniper of any sorts . LOL

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 11:07 PM
  #34
Gert B Frobe
Registered User
 
Gert B Frobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Morgantown PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
NHL 14 ? LOL ! I am 55 yrs old my friend, i do not play any of those games . Been watching the Flyers since 1967 and i do understand fully that the league has more teams etc.......I i also recognize that Zac is a much better player than some give him credit for.
Because of his hard hitting type style he has been pretty much delegated to doing those type things which help the team and certainly have afforded him a chance to play in the NHL. Just simply stating that because of his development over the last few years i am not surprised at his being given a chance on the PK and i also would not be shocked at all if the lad punched in 15 goals if given the ice time....Will that ever happen ? probably not because of the niche he fills for our club . Not saying Zac is a sniper of any sorts . LOL
gokimjohnsson does a lot - and can never resist the opportunity to throw around some 25 year old wisdom

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 07:21 AM
  #35
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,749
vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
NHL 14 ? LOL ! I am 55 yrs old my friend, i do not play any of those games . Been watching the Flyers since 1967 and i do understand fully that the league has more teams etc.......I i also recognize that Zac is a much better player than some give him credit for.
Because of his hard hitting type style he has been pretty much delegated to doing those type things which help the team and certainly have afforded him a chance to play in the NHL. Just simply stating that because of his development over the last few years i am not surprised at his being given a chance on the PK and i also would not be shocked at all if the lad punched in 15 goals if given the ice time....Will that ever happen ? probably not because of the niche he fills for our club . Not saying Zac is a sniper of any sorts . LOL
Are you saying that older people don't play video games? Not even one time with your kids? C'mon man...

You can have been watching hockey since 1867. The math doesn't support your presumptions, which is what my point is. You can learn to be a penalty killer, this is true, he had done that in juniors already, but it's taking him from being completely useless to border-line serviceable. You don't go from being a black hole of offense in juniors to an capable offensive producer in the NHL, especially when you played less than 100 AHL games (thus not getting the ice time to really develop). The only person who has ever been so adamant that this talent and production exists (aside from fans), is Rinaldo himself. Although, he doesn't use the media to beg for better linemates anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
gokimjohnsson does a lot - and can never resist the opportunity to throw around some 25 year old wisdom
Yeah, you guys gotta hate how often I simply regurgitate analysis done by those working with fancy stats, or the numbers themselves now. Especially how against them I was when I was 25...it's like arguing a ghost now. And Rinaldo is such an easy target for it, because they often show that he's way worse than even I think he actually is.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 07:25 AM
  #36
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,354
vCash: 491
Giroux played 1:07 of PK time, I'm liking this new role for Rinaldo

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 07:42 AM
  #37
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,899
vCash: 500
Rinaldo has got to know better than to give the refs a chance to call a cheap hooking penalty like that.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 08:08 AM
  #38
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,354
vCash: 491
Somebody just tweeted that the Flyers PK has gone down hill since the addition of Rinaldo, if that stays, he might find himself on the bench again. However I'm not even sure he's on the ice when they are scored, the guy was just mentioning it overall.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:51 AM
  #39
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,749
vCash: 5888
He was on the ice for the MacArthur goal in a spot he should have been in, but that's going to be the growing pains.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:56 AM
  #40
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,228
vCash: 500
Not really a fan of Rinaldo on the PK. No need for it and just seems like trying to add a new dimension to a fringe player for the sake of it. Just insert Raffl into the lineup and our PK personnel is fine.

Rinaldo is a guy who is perfect for the extra forward role. It's arguable if he's even worthy of being a constant fixture on the fourth line. This comes from someone who is a big fan of Rinaldo too.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:57 AM
  #41
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,354
vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Not really a fan of Rinaldo on the PK. No need for it and just seems like trying to add a new dimension to a fringe player for the sake of it. Just insert Raffl into the lineup and our PK personnel is fine.

Rinaldo is a guy who is perfect for the extra forward role. It's arguable if he's even worthy of being a constant fixture on the fourth line. This comes from someone who is a big fan of Rinaldo too.
Raffl has played like 9 career pro games. People need to stop talking about him like he's definitely an NHLer. Nobody knows anything about him.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 11:00 AM
  #42
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Raffl has played like 9 career pro games. People need to stop talking about him like he's definitely an NHLer. Nobody knows anything about him.
All I said was we could use him on the PK lol.

He's played well in other leagues and he's pretty clearly more fit for an NHL team then a guy like Rinaldo. He seems to be pretty easily more capable of PK play then Rinaldo too.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 11:48 AM
  #43
AaronTrieu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,886
vCash: 500
Rinaldo has been fine on the pk. He can skate and chase pucks down and he get it out. He's pretty good with his stick too.

The nhl is a long season. The more we can preserve the top players, the better in the long run. Many teams don't use their best defensive forwards ok the pk.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 01:31 PM
  #44
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,899
vCash: 500
I would like to see Raffl back in the lineup.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 01:38 PM
  #45
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I would like to see Raffl back in the lineup.
Sit Rosey. Altho he hasn't been bad, want to see Raffl contribute.

Raffl and Rinaldo on one pk unit would be great later down the road.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 04:00 PM
  #46
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,114
vCash: 500
i trust Zac on the PK more then i do the current form of Kimmo..

and thats a fact..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.