HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

...but at the same time

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2004, 01:44 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500
...but at the same time

Is it just me, or does Tommy Salo say this an average of 3 times an interview. If you havent picked up on it, you will now, I actually noticed it last year, and he never seems do dissapoint. The better he plays, the more you will hear it.

"You know I was able to see my shots tonight, but at the same time the defense was great infront of me. the forwards were able to score on their chances to get us the big win that we needed, but at the same time, we need to concentrate on the next game because the race is so tight right now, but at the same time we are playing well." >>>ok, so that isnt a direct quote, but pretty close.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:51 AM
USC Trojans
AD

I think that's the goaltender's version of:

"Well, this was a team effort. We all gave 110%...I played good, the team played good. I think we all played pretty good. We're just trying to take this one game at a time. And I want to thank God..."

If I was a pro athlete, I probably would've said that everytime they interviewed me.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:57 AM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
I think that's the goaltender's version of:

"Well, this was a team effort. We all gave 110%...I played good, the team played good. I think we all played pretty good. We're just trying to take this one game at a time. And I want to thank God..."

If I was a pro athlete, I probably would've said that everytime they interviewed me.
I think he means "but at the same time."

Old
01-21-2004, 07:00 AM
Mr Sakich

in the words of ryan smyth: well, obviously he meant at the same time. Yeah, obviously tommy says that a lot.

Old
01-21-2004, 09:39 AM
Slats432

I would be a far better interview than most pro athletes. Like that canned stuff is pretty garbage. Like, really, where are the personalities...anyone on the Oilers known for being able to toss out a decent one liner?

Oh well, we don't watch them because they are great public speakers.

Old
01-21-2004, 10:10 AM
Digger12

Imagine if Salo and Smyth played each other in a vicious game of scrabble...neither guy would crack 100 points, it'd be like watching a 0-0 between Minnesota and Columbus...with Nash and Gaborik scratched due to injury.

Old
01-21-2004, 10:54 AM
Slats432

And moreover, this is the only redeeming quality that Roenick and Hull have.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:38 AM
USC Trojans
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
I think he means "but at the same time."
ah hah...my bad. I was about to hit the hay when I posted that. but at the same time I wasn't that tired...but then at the same time, I could've waited till today. ah well. :p

Old
01-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Oilers1*

They were actually talking about this last night on That's Hockey 2. One of the reasons that the team and coaches are willing to stick with Salo through his slumps is because of his attitude; when he's good, he always praises his teammates, when he's bad, he always takes full responsiblity.

Too bad he couldn't be more consistent, because that's exactly the attitude a young team needs from its goaltender (can you imagine how many times a Belfour or Roy wouldn't chewed out Hemsky or Bergeron by now?).

Old
01-21-2004, 01:25 PM
Limey

Send a message via ICQ to Limey Send a message via AIM to Limey Send a message via MSN to Limey
Nothing beats Smytty's interviews though...

"We gave 120% ... played a full 80 minutes tonight ... took the body and played the puck ..."

I love those Smytty interviews! Its heart and soul man Personally I think one of the reasons Smytty's not as hot this year is because the mullets a bit shorter than usual. He's like Samson man - the longer the hair, the better wall play, the more he drives to the net with strength

Old
01-21-2004, 01:39 PM
PineJockey

This is very true. Look at how much better York is playing now that his hair is busting out of his helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey
Nothing beats Smytty's interviews though...

"We gave 120% ... played a full 80 minutes tonight ... took the body and played the puck ..."

I love those Smytty interviews! Its heart and soul man Personally I think one of the reasons Smytty's not as hot this year is because the mullets a bit shorter than usual. He's like Samson man - the longer the hair, the better wall play, the more he drives to the net with strength

Old
01-21-2004, 04:26 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

The short haired will will argue that some of our hottest players lack hair on top. Torres and Ferguson had big nights in Dallas. I think Ferguson skipped a day shaving and thats why he scored.

Old
01-21-2004, 09:19 PM
gretzky2kurri

I like the Jason Smith ones.

It's obviously a nervous behaivour. He always turns his head 90 degress to his right (away from interveiwee) and looks "at something" for a few words mid sentence all the time. I know he's not looking at the monitor because I always can see other players looking forward to at it.

He looks like a guy in a bar talking to a chick.......and always looking over his shoulder to make sure his girlfriend doesn't catch him.

He NEVER fails me. I always wonder.....what are you looking at Jason?

Watch for it. They will interveiw him between periods of the game he comes back no doubt.

Old
01-21-2004, 10:06 PM
SerbianEagle

Hemsky gets a red face each time I've noticed.

Ulanov tries to over-pronounce the words

Semenov doesn't seem to like interviews

MAB is always sitting down in the dressing room.

Old
01-22-2004, 12:25 AM
edmontonoilers89

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
I like the Jason Smith ones.

It's obviously a nervous behaivour. He always turns his head 90 degress to his right (away from interveiwee) and looks "at something" for a few words mid sentence all the time. I know he's not looking at the monitor because I always can see other players looking forward to at it.

He looks like a guy in a bar talking to a chick.......and always looking over his shoulder to make sure his girlfriend doesn't catch him.

He NEVER fails me. I always wonder.....what are you looking at Jason?

Watch for it. They will interveiw him between periods of the game he comes back no doubt.

Hahaha, I've noticed the exact same thing. At first I thought he was thinking he was gonna be called out for the 3 stars at the end of the game, but the next time I saw it it was inbetween periods, so I'm pretty sure that's not the reason. Pretty funny to watch though.

Old
01-22-2004, 12:29 AM
Limey

Send a message via ICQ to Limey Send a message via AIM to Limey Send a message via MSN to Limey
There's always the coaches too...

MacT always looks exasperated and outta breath - when we win he's looking straight at you and calls it like it is - when we lose he's sighing a lot looking at the floor nervously - gotta love the way he wears his heart on his sleeve.

Billy Moores - he's a cool dude with a great record with the Golden Bears but everytime he gets interviewed - I can't help but think of a geeky high school chem teacher or something - nervous and awkward - but in a way very endearing

Simpson - the guy still thinks he's on Sportsnet man - flashing those pearly whites (which gets me wondering - how the heck did he take all that abuse all those years in front of the net and not lose any? Are they ... fakes?? heh )

K-Lo - dude - he blinks a lot. Wonder if he's got dry contacts or something. He's also got that 'I could snap at anytime because I'm PsYcHo!' Carried over from playing days I bet. But he's a straight shooter - gotta love an accountable GM that takes any question - loved the way he made the touring rounds after the Comrie trade.

Semenko - still looks like a beast or the Incredible Hulk incognito "You don't want to see me get angry....." Could you imagine sitting across from this guy at a scouting meeting? Semenko: I like this player, _____________. Me: Whatever he said. Just don't kill me -

Closed Thread