*OFFICIAL* Halifax Mooseheads 2013-2014 Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2013, 10:07 AM
jolly roger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
No... but some of us do know Trey and know things not privy to the public.
I have no idea what that means and whether you're referring to his "medical" issues, but apparently while on way to hospital he stopped by Miramichi last evening to gather 3 assists and 6 penalty minutes including 4 minutes for roughing.

Old
11-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Roz

Quote:
Listen, unless you're his parent, doctor or trainer or have access to his medical records you have no idea the degree to which this can be treated. Sometimes surgery is required, but not always. Sometimes steroidal injections work or other conservative treatment. But I'm quite sure something could have been worked out for a kid like that. You can have whatever attitude you want on here, but that doesn't make it look any better to the outside world. AND, I've never met this kid, nor do I know him or his family, NOR, for that matter, his doctors. Do you?
Did Cam Russell yell at your dog or something?

Everyone involved - including Trey himself - have been completely transparent about why he's been cut and what lead to it. There is literally no reason to believe anything nefarious is going on.

Trey was around the rink during games, especially in the upper bowl, because his parents prefer the view there than the view in the family area, which is near the home net. Anyone who saw him could see clearly see he was limping as he mingled with fans. He is very obviously hurt.

I don't know anybody who would prefer that we have Duke over Lewis. Trey proved he was more valuable injured than Duke was healthy last year. Believe us, if there was a way to have him instead of Duke in the lineup, he'd be there. Do you honestly think they haven't tried everything you mentioned? Why wouldn't they? It's silly to make fun of me by calling me a "doctor" for saying every single thing that's been made public about Trey's injury, and then in your next post proclaim confidently that he could have had steroidal injections or something...all so he can risk permanent injury in order to play for us. So who's the Internet Doctor here, really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Hasn't he got something silly like 23 points in his last 7 games?
Mooseheads are undefeated since he's returned to form. Clearly not a coincidence, lol. Hard to believe we have 45 goals in the last 7 games. Even taking out the anomaly against Rouyn, that's still 30 in our last 6. A far cry from the start of the year when we were worried about where the hell all the goals would come from!

Quote:
I have no idea what that means and whether you're referring to his "medical" issues, but apparently while on way to hospital he stopped by Miramichi last evening to gather 3 assists and 6 penalty minutes including 4 minutes for roughing.
You do realize that this sort of performance from Trey is expected at the Jr A level, right? That you're not proving anyone wrong when you say stuff like this?

Old
11-17-2013, 11:02 AM
jolly roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz View Post
Did Cam Russell yell at your dog or something?

Everyone involved - including Trey himself - have been completely transparent about why he's been cut and what lead to it. There is literally no reason to believe anything nefarious is going on.

Trey was around the rink during games, especially in the upper bowl, because his parents prefer the view there than the view in the family area, which is near the home net. Anyone who saw him could see clearly see he was limping as he mingled with fans. He is very obviously hurt.

I don't know anybody who would prefer that we have Duke over Lewis. Trey proved he was more valuable injured than Duke was healthy last year. Believe us, if there was a way to have him instead of Duke in the lineup, he'd be there. Do you honestly think they haven't tried everything you mentioned? Why wouldn't they? It's silly to make fun of me by calling me a "doctor" for saying every single thing that's been made public about Trey's injury, and then in your next post proclaim confidently that he could have had steroidal injections or something...all so he can risk permanent injury in order to play for us. So who's the Internet Doctor here, really?

Mooseheads are undefeated since he's returned to form. Clearly not a coincidence, lol. Hard to believe we have 45 goals in the last 7 games. Even taking out the anomaly against Rouyn, that's still 30 in our last 6. A far cry from the start of the year when we were worried about where the hell all the goals would come from!

You do realize that this sort of performance from Trey is expected at the Jr A level, right? That you're not proving anyone wrong when you say stuff like this?
"Me thinks thou dost protest too much". The Bard.

Old
11-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly roger View Post
"Me thinks thou dost protest too much". The Bard.

- The Internet

Old
11-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Canadiens1958

Advice

Let's stay on topic and friendly.

Old
11-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly roger View Post
Listen, unless you're his parent, doctor or trainer or have access to his medical records you have no idea the degree to which this can be treated. Sometimes surgery is required, but not always. Sometimes steroidal injections work or other conservative treatment. But I'm quite sure something could have been worked out for a kid like that. You can have whatever attitude you want on here, but that doesn't make it look any better to the outside world. AND, I've never met this kid, nor do I know him or his family, NOR, for that matter, his doctors. Do you?
I spoke to members of the Board of Directors as to what went on with the situation to release Trey. So yes, I do know what's going on. Haven't talked to him personally yet but I know him from being in a few classes at SMU with him and we have some mutual friends. Not sure why that has to do with anything since management has been transparent about the entire decision.

Anyways, the team is really coming together and Drouin is tearing it up. Can't ask for much more at this point.

Old
11-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser

11 games before the Christmas break. I predict they go 8-3. That would give them a winning percentage of .710. Not bad at all.

Old
11-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Dgill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domhnall Dubh View Post
11 games before the Christmas break. I predict they go 8-3. That would give them a winning percentage of .710. Not bad at all.
That would be very good. We would be neck and neck if we didn't start the season so poor. I am really starting to believe we are contenders again, and that we should bring in a top tier forward/defenseman to play for another run.

Old
11-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgill View Post
That would be very good. We would be neck and neck if we didn't start the season so poor. I am really starting to believe we are contenders again, and that we should bring in a top tier forward/defenseman to play for another run.
Definitely agree on the need for a top 4 Dman. Someone who can rip it from the point. Extra toughness would be a huge bonus but we may need two players to get both of those qualities.

I think we need a bottom six forward more than we need a top six forward, though. Our top six is looking pretty strong (to say the least, lol), but our bottom six is all rookies unless you count Ciampini when he's down there. We need a tough, defensively responsible guy to bring some of what we lost when Falkenham went out.

We've got nothing but divisional opponents for the rest of the month so hopefully we can keep this streak going. It'll pay huge dividends for when we lose Jo and Zach for WJC camp and possibly beyond. We might lose Nik for a couple of weeks as well if he chooses to play for Denmark in the Division I tournament.

Old
11-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser

Wonder what the situation is with James Melindy right now? He'd be a nice pick up.

Old
11-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Dgill

Quote:
Wonder what the situation is with James Melindy right now? He'd be a nice pick up.
I don't want Melindy as a Moosehead. I feel he hampers his team more with his idiotic tendencies then helps.

Old
11-17-2013, 04:00 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
He'd probably be one of the cheaper options available as well.

Portland currently have nine defenseman on their roster , minus Randy Jones who is injured. And Melindy has only played in two games.

Old
11-17-2013, 05:33 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Melindy is a 93, you know. That's hardly an upgrade on Duke.. Let's look at Guillaume Gelinas first, IMO.

Old
11-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser

Hardly an upgrade over Duke? Come on now.

Old
11-17-2013, 08:22 PM
IrishInOntario

I'd love to see Halifax gear up and make another run at the Q championship and the Memorial Cup. Can't be good forever, but back-to-back trips would be awesome!

I'd love to see Halifax go hard after a guy like Hudon or Mantha, and a PP D-man with a big shot... Weegar does a nice job passing the puck, but he'd be more useful setting a big shot up to get some pucks on net. Halifax badly needs a shooter on the PP, neither Drouin or Ehlers have the kind of shot lost when Konrad and Frk moved on.

Any other quality pieces out there that you think Halifax could add for a decent price?

Old
11-17-2013, 11:34 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Hardly an upgrade over Duke? Come on now.
His play really dropped off last year and as I recall wasn't really wanted last year by Moncton fans... Too much panic with the puck. He's not going to make this team better over Duke, I'll take the steady calm championship veteran over Melindy any day. That Moncton dressing room was cancer last year, and seemed to take dumb penalties a lot.

Don't think many Moose fans would want him.

Old
11-18-2013, 12:14 PM
MikeyP

Quote:
Two reasons, I think:

1. Spread out the scoring between as many lines as possible
2. Ehlers needs to play alongside big bodies who can give him room to work
I would buy #2, but if they could pair Mack and Jo last year, no reason not to pair Ehlers and Jo this year... I dunno, I just think these two could be magical together.

Old
11-18-2013, 12:16 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
Hudon or Mantha yes plz thanks

We might as well go all-in this year.

Old
11-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Raimu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Hudon or Mantha yes plz thanks

We might as well go all-in this year.
We don't need Hudon or Mantha to go all-in. We just need minor tweeks and upgrades. I'm not for any deal that sacrifices our 2015 1st or Max Fortier.

We would make due with a defenseman who can shoot the puck, and a bottom six forward. I think that alone makes us able to go toe-to-toe with anyone in this league.

After that it sets us up to be a middle-lower team next season with a quick turnaround to be good again 2 years from now.

Old
11-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
I would buy #2, but if they could pair Mack and Jo last year, no reason not to pair Ehlers and Jo this year... I dunno, I just think these two could be magical together.
Last year we could do Nate-Jo-Marty because we had the depth to do it. When Brent Andrews is a third liner and you can bench a 70 point player in the playoffs without consequence, you have a deep, deep team. This year, our bottom six is 100% rookies, and not over-achieving ones like Ehlers. We need scoring depth a lot more than we need pretty goals in the highlight reel.

They'll make plenty of magic on the power play once they get going - they've already shown flashes of what they can do on the PP in the past couple of games. I don't see Dom breaking up the Ehlers-Andrews-Ryan line up that much, though. Maybe you see them on a line together late in games where we're down a goal, but not other than that IMO.

There is a temptation to try to get Hudon or Mantha this year simply so other teams can't get them, but a player like that is lower on our needs list and those types of trades at the deadline don't seem to be Cam's style. I think those are pretty much seen as "Brad Marchand trades" by the Mooseheads front office, lol.

ETA: First line tonight for the Super Series is Mantha-Drouin-Hudon. My body is ready.

Last edited by Roz: 11-18-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: link
Old
11-19-2013, 01:12 AM
Raimu

Quote:
ETA: First line tonight for the Super Series is Mantha-Drouin-Hudon. My body is ready.
Makes that Ciampini pick feel really good tho doesn't it?

Also big surprise, DeLuca is on the team. 2nd (3rd.. really) in league scoring as an 18 year old sophmore, and yet nobody drafted this guy in 2011? Idk how the majority of HF boards can be like "uhhh... This DeLuca guy... draft him somebody" no GM in the Q is willing to take a flyer on this kid. Unreal.

Old
11-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimu View Post
Ha ha, doesn't it though. I try not to get too cheesed about it, since I don't think too many folks would pick Dillon Fournier over Hudon either. Drafting 15 year olds will always be a bit unpredictable. We did get Darcy Ashley and Andrew Ryan from that draft, and we got Hardie later, who was also taken in the 2010 first round. I think that it was a pretty solid draft for us despite Ciampini. And getting Adam Erne (who turned into Nathan MacKinnon), Jonathan Drouin, Zach Fucale, and Ryan Falkenham out of the next draft definitely helped take the sting out a bit. That 2011 haul is still pretty hard to believe.

And who knows: if we drafted Hudon in 2010, we may have played ourselves out of the 4th overall pick and wouldn't have been in a position to snag Drouin. I think everything worked out as it ought to have, even if it's kind of incredible to think that as good as last year's team was, it was technically possible for it to include Hudon and Eichel as well. Crazy.

Old
11-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Raimu

Quote:
Ha ha, doesn't it though. I try not to get too cheesed about it, since I don't think too many folks would pick Dillon Fournier over Hudon either. Drafting 15 year olds will always be a bit unpredictable. We did get Darcy Ashley and Andrew Ryan from that draft, and we got Hardie later, who was also taken in the 2010 first round. I think that it was a pretty solid draft for us despite Ciampini. And getting Adam Erne (who turned into Nathan MacKinnon), Jonathan Drouin, Zach Fucale, and Ryan Falkenham out of the next draft definitely helped take the sting out a bit. That 2011 haul is still pretty hard to believe.

And who knows: if we drafted Hudon in 2010, we may have played ourselves out of the 4th overall pick and wouldn't have been in a position to snag Drouin. I think everything worked out as it ought to have, even if it's kind of incredible to think that as good as last year's team was, it was technically possible for it to include Hudon and Eichel as well. Crazy.
Yea, as much as I do like *****ing about the Ciampini pick, that 2011 draft made up for it in spades. Although I think I'd take DeLuca over Lovell in round 3, other than that I think that draft was pretty much flawless for us. Every pick turned into a key player either directly or indirectly.

As for drafting 15 year old kids being tricky, yea, for sure. Mantha and Carrier among names that could have just been had for next to nothing in 2010. Looking at all these kids who go from being marginal prospects to stars really nails home how difficult it is to predict where a kid will be in 2-3 years.

Old
11-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Roz

Quote:
Yea, as much as I do like *****ing about the Ciampini pick, that 2011 draft made up for it in spades.
I feel like every bad decision ever made by Patenaude & Co. ultimately lead to the season we had, lol. The Marchand trade and its aftermath and Cam's Ciampini pick all lead to the creation of last year's team, from the front office to the coaching staff to the players.

As for Ciampini himself... earlier this season, I figured we'd see him here as a 20 year old. Since the Moose have gone on this streak, I find myself flipping on that completely - I think moving him should be our highest priority. Not because of his lack of point production, but because there's just nowhere for him to play.

Last year he had a regular spot on the second line with Ashley and Boudreau, and they benefited from following our top line and dodging the opposition's top D pairings. That allowed him to really thrive (as much as he's treated as a scapegoat, he did rack up 70 points last year). He also didn't really have to worry about playing defense at all.

Now? This is more blue collar team that has to work hard and be defensively responsible to win games. The top six regulars (Drouin/Ashley/Ehlers/Andrews/Ryan) are an average of +18.6, Ciampini is a -1. The only other minuses on this team right now are 4th liners, call-ups, and Falkenham/Lewis. He hasn't been able to hang with the top six and he hasn't shown the grit or defensive responsibility to play with the bottom six. He's an orphan.

They'll never be able to get that much for him, but they need to free up his spot. You don't even need a pure top sixer to improve on him, just someone who can be responsible in all situations. And who knows, maybe if he was moved somewhere where he had to be the guy to bring the offense, his play might pick up. As frustrating as he is to watch, he seems to be a very nice kid who is well-liked by his teammates. I'd love nothing more than to see him break out somewhere.

Quote:
Although I think I'd take DeLuca over Lovell in round 3, other than that I think that draft was pretty much flawless for us. Every pick turned into a key player either directly or indirectly.
Lovell's never had a chance to really show what he can do, which is too bad. He was playing really well for us when he got sidelined with his knee. He was throwing one or two monstrous, clean hits every game. He's had the worst luck with injuries. If he stays healthy I could see him being one of those guys who really steps up for us come playoff time.

Quote:
As for drafting 15 year old kids being tricky, yea, for sure. Mantha and Carrier among names that could have just been had for next to nothing in 2010. Looking at all these kids who go from being marginal prospects to stars really nails home how difficult it is to predict where a kid will be in 2-3 years.
And guys can come out of nowhere even 3 or 4 years later. If teams in the OHL knew what Mack Weegar would look like in 2013, he wouldn't have been passed over at their draft once, let alone twice. Getting him for a 9th from Rouyn is probably some of the best bargain shopping Cam's ever done.

Old
11-19-2013, 12:43 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:

Also big surprise, DeLuca is on the team. 2nd (3rd.. really) in league scoring as an 18 year old sophmore, and yet nobody drafted this guy in 2011? Idk how the majority of HF boards can be like "uhhh... This DeLuca guy... draft him somebody" no GM in the Q is willing to take a flyer on this kid. Unreal.
He was playing the US hockey card. Told Moncton he wouldn't report.

Closed Thread