HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Diaz close to signing an x-term contract!

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Stan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Habs need an upgrade on Gorges or another Top 4 d-man. This is not debatable. Status quo is not going to win us a stanley cup sorry folks.
Some people are going to be really disappointed when J. Gorges is named the next captain.

Seriously, the Gorges hate on this board is ridiculous. He is not the problem with this team. If fact, any team in the NHL would gladly take him at that price tag.

Old
11-17-2013, 05:57 PM
xposbrad

If Diaz is signed to anywhere near that kind of money it will just prolong the no stanley cup era in montreal longer. We just keep continually making mistakes. Diaz is a 1 trick pony and his 1 trick isn't even that hot. We don't need a soft dman making that kind of money unless they are putting up big points and really helping the PP. He's getting a lot of ice time, and hardly doing much with it. He's shaky on D and it's time we upgrade from these kind of players or revolve them with guys in the minors not making x millions.

Old
11-17-2013, 07:48 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Some people are going to be really disappointed when J. Gorges is named the next captain.

Seriously, the Gorges hate on this board is ridiculous. He is not the problem with this team. If fact, any team in the NHL would gladly take him at that price tag.
I personnaly don't HATE Gorges. I just think he's a bottom pairing D-Man since he brings nothing more than shot blocking and good positionning. I agree he's GREAT at that, so I wish habs would keep him, but in that role, not in a top 4 role.

And I don't care about any salary. Salaries are not playing on the ice. Players must play their role, no matter if they're under or overpay.

And I agree with you most team would gladly welcome Gorges on their roster. My point is a cup contender would welcome him as a #6 d-man. Nothing more.

Old
11-17-2013, 07:55 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post

I like Gorges just fine personally but we do need a #3 right now and #2 when Markov declines/moves on. That's just a fact.

Old
11-18-2013, 09:09 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I'm really happy with Gorges and Diaz this year. $3M would seem like a bit of a bargain for Diaz to me. Obviously he's not going to be a player we like stylistically, but the bottom line is that he has been very effective and is a positive asset to the team.

Old
11-18-2013, 09:48 AM
Smoky Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I'm really happy with Gorges and Diaz this year. $3M would seem like a bit of a bargain for Diaz to me. Obviously he's not going to be a player we like stylistically, but the bottom line is that he has been very effective and is a positive asset to the team.
This is true. If his cap hit is 3m, it could be a bargain.

Old
11-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
I personnaly don't HATE Gorges. I just think he's a bottom pairing D-Man since he brings nothing more than shot blocking and good positionning. I agree he's GREAT at that, so I wish habs would keep him, but in that role, not in a top 4 role.

And I don't care about any salary. Salaries are not playing on the ice. Players must play their role, no matter if they're under or overpay.

And I agree with you most team would gladly welcome Gorges on their roster. My point is a cup contender would welcome him as a #6 d-man. Nothing more.
Have to agree with you here. Number 5 or 6 is where he belongs...MAYBE as a fill in top 4 to cover for injuries but not a consistent minute eating top 4 D

Old
11-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Smoky Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Have to agree with you here. Number 5 or 6 is where he belongs...MAYBE as a fill in top 4 to cover for injuries but not a consistent minute eating top 4 D
Why not? He's a solid, big minute shut down defenseman. He has been for years now.

Old
11-18-2013, 11:31 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
Why not? He's a solid, big minute shut down defenseman. He has been for years now.
Because to be a top 4, a shut down d-man must bring to the table more than just shot blocking and good positionning. Physicality, nastyness, a bit of offense, ability to pass the puck to forwards in the rush, able to make at least a single move in his zone to give himself time to make a play, etc. I'm not saying he must be able to do ALL of that, but at least some. What Gorges is bringing to the game simply isn't enough, while valuable.

Old
11-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Tim Wallach

I'm fine with a 3 year/$9 mil extension for Diaz. Given his usage, that's definitely fair.

At least he can move the puck effectively. I love Gorges' attitude, but it's like he and Bouillon are auto-programmed in the offensive zone so that whenever they get the puck, no matter where the shooting or passing lanes are, they fade to the side boards at the blueline and harmlessly dump the puck to a random point along the end boards.

Old
11-18-2013, 01:37 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
I'm fine with a 3 year/$9 mil extension for Diaz. Given his usage, that's definitely fair.

At least he can move the puck effectively. I love Gorges' attitude, but it's like he and Bouillon are auto-programmed in the offensive zone so that whenever they get the puck, no matter where the shooting or passing lanes are, they fade to the side boards at the blueline and harmlessly dump the puck to a random point along the end boards.
Yup so our huge forwards can go win battles on the boards.

To Diaz. He is playing for a contract right now and he isn't very good. Is it only me worried that when he gets his $3m x 3 in the bank he'll be utter crap? Do not want another soft player with a contract we can't move.

Old
11-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Yup so our huge forwards can go win battles on the boards.

To Diaz. He is playing for a contract right now and he isn't very good. Is it only me worried that when he gets his $3m x 3 in the bank he'll be utter crap? Do not want another soft player with a contract we can't move.
I don't think that'll happen. Name the last time a small, soft player was given a multi-year contract that burned Bergevin.

Old
11-18-2013, 02:36 PM
JohnLennon

Diaz and Gorges have made huge improvements this year. Not sure why some of you are complaining about either of them, let alone both. It's almost like you don't even watch the games.

Old
11-18-2013, 02:44 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
What? What are you talking about?

Old
11-18-2013, 03:01 PM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Diaz and Gorges have made huge improvements this year. Not sure why some of you are complaining about either of them, let alone both. It's almost like you don't even watch the games.
My sarcasm detector just blew right there.

Old
11-18-2013, 03:03 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
This year about all I do is watch hockey games. Every Habs game and many other teams as well. Diaz & Gorges may have shown slight improvements since last year but overall I still don't care for them.

Do you think opposing forwards worry about either of these guys?

Old
11-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Yeah, they worry that either or both might be traded to their team.

Old
11-18-2013, 03:38 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
This year about all I do is watch hockey games. Every Habs game and many other teams as well. Diaz & Gorges may have shown slight improvements since last year but overall I still don't care for them.

Gorges is great in his role, he's a warrior shut down leader type, every D corps needs one. He's one of the best defensive players in hockey.

Diaz is fine in his role as the 3rd offensive dman, 2nd PP unit QB.

We have our #1 in Subban, our #2 in Markov, and our #3 in Emelin.

Old
11-18-2013, 03:39 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Also our D has been pretty fantastic this year, people keep complaining about it, but it's up front that is the much bigger concern...

Old
11-18-2013, 03:45 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
My sarcasm detector just blew right there.
No sarcasm. My second sentence seems to apply here.

Quote:

Diaz has shown drastic improvements in his defensive play, in my opinion. Gorges is one of the best at his role, which is shot blocking and penalty killing. I don't know what there is to complain about.

The problem isn't our defensemen themselves as much as it is our team defense (how the team collectively plays defensively) in general.

Old
11-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Aside, is "x-term" a real thing?

I think most of us who are at least open to Diaz signing feel like 3 years is a fair term.

But as with Emelin, I don't think I'd have been in such a hurry. There's a lot of season left. So far, Diaz can point to basic statistical successes. GAA, PK, minutes played... he's doing pretty well for himself statistically. So far. But then we have some stylistic question marks, and even while the Habs are #3 in goals against, they are giving up a lot of shots (22nd?) and giving up the zone pretty easily... is there a point (especially with Emelin back and Subban's minutes ramping back up) where Diaz's statistical arguments tail off and converge back towards our visuals? I could well imagine that happening.

So I guess to me, unless the Diaz camp just isn't too hung up on his current stats and role, I'd lean to waiting.

Old
11-18-2013, 04:04 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Also our D has been pretty fantastic this year, people keep complaining about it, but it's up front that is the much bigger concern...
It depeds how you perceive Habs' problem to score goals. I agree that the d-men, individually, plays well enough that habs are good on defense. But part of the offene's problem is due to the fact that Habs' forwards almost never receive the puck while on the rush. Subban and Markov are good at that, but that's it. Diaz is a good puck moving d-man, but his outlet passes are risky and not efficients. Bouillon, Gorges and Murray are simply mediocre at that. Emelin is OK, nothing more.

I'm not complaining at the way they're playing D, I'm complaining at how poor they are, as a group, at allowing our forwards to enter the opposite zone in full control of the puck, and at full speed.

Of course Habs' forwards are also to blame for their actual inneffectivness. But honnestly, in pure talent, they're as good as many teams that are better right now, and to me, it is partly because Habs' poor transition game.

I would gladly cheer for a team that block less shots but that are in control of the puck!

Serge Savard always said it: offense starts from defense. And he wasn't necessarily talking about stats.

So in that sense, I don't like the makeup of Habs defense, even if I agree they're doing a great job defensively. But a #3 and a #4 d-men are supposed to be able to give themselves enough time to make a play, by themselves, something they're not doing in Montreal. You won't score many goal when the puck is always getting out of your zone by the boards, or by a pass to a winger who's stopped at his blue line because your d-men need help.

Old
11-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Avengers*

this is a freakin disagrace that subban is not signed before midget diaz

Old
11-18-2013, 05:16 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Why do I keep hearing that Gorges is a shutdown dman? It's shameful to hear this kind of talk?

Old
11-18-2013, 05:26 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Why do I keep hearing that Gorges is a shutdown dman? It's shameful to hear this kind of talk?
I see you keep disagreeing with everyone so instead of insulting people, just say it. What is your opinion on Gorges?

Closed Thread