HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Rasmus Ristolainen - TPS, FEL (2013, 8th overall, Buffalo)

Old
10-21-2013, 12:12 PM
robertguess2013

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
The only way Risto becomes bettee than Jones is injuries, they are in complety different leagues.

Also, Zadorov looked pretty impressive in his first game albeit only playing 11 minutes.
Ok good call after 10 game sample lmao

robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Coconut Head
Saltkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
Ok good call after 10 game sample lmao
Even though you made the "good call" that Risto will be better than Jones based on a 10 game sample...

Risto isn't even close to Jones, and I'm a Sabres fan

Last edited by Coconut Head: 10-21-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Coconut Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 01:23 PM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouncebounce View Post
Even though you made the "good call" that Risto will be better than Jones based on a 10 game sample...

Risto isn't even close to Jones, and I'm a Sabres fan
His was an absolute he said is no comparison etc..

Time will tell as it always does. Mine is a guess in time not absolute.

I did not state he will be better. I said I believe he will be better.

His words is that is no way he is ever better etc..

You cannot deal in absolutes with prospects.

Old
10-21-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
His was an absolute he said is no comparison etc..

Time will tell as it always does. Mine is a guess in time not absolute.

I did not state he will be better. I said I believe he will be better.

His words is that is no way he is ever better etc..

You cannot deal in absolutes with prospects.
well HF boards in a message board where posters give their opinion which would not be an absolute, I thought this would be well known.

Risto has the tools to become a very reliable top pair guy, Seth Jones has the ability to become the premier blueliner in the league.

Last edited by 1972: 10-21-2013 at 03:45 PM.
1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 04:04 PM
robertguess2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
well HF boards in a message board where posters give their opinion which would not be an absolute, I thought this would be well known.

Risto has the tools to become a very reliable top pair guy, Seth Jones has the ability to become the premier blueliner in the league.
You said is no comparison went and re read only way is by injuries.

You say premier and your saying risto cannot?

Is all good just I disagree. Risto can become oel like which is about as solid as it gets to me with offensive ability added.

Risto brings as much to me as jones and jones I doubt ever becomes physical. Which think risto will. So if jones is a few more points over a career but is not physical and risto bring that and is better positionally just as fast on skates as high of hockey iq I give him the nod.

We will see what pans out. I think both have shown a lot for 18 year olds they have a long way to go.

You probably base your decision or firmness on belief in jones scoring abilities.

I think risto will surprise there.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:16 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Ristolainen notched his first NHL goal and point tonight:

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:11 PM
JJTT

10th game for RR55 today so looks like he will stay with Buffalo.

JJTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 08:37 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTT View Post
10th game for RR55 today so looks like he will stay with Buffalo.
I don't think that 9 game mark really applies for international players since the only other place he can go is the AHL and his contract still counts.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 08:47 AM
Goodlad

vCash: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
I don't think that 9 game mark really applies for international players since the only other place he can go is the AHL and his contract still counts.
Yes, but if he's sent to the AHL before hitting 10 games his ELC will still slide a year.

Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 08:53 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlad View Post
Yes, but if he's sent to the AHL before hitting 10 games his ELC will still slide a year.
I thought that only applied for sending to juniors and being sent to the AHL has no "sliding" effect.

Old
10-27-2013, 08:58 AM
gudzilla

now, can he actually be sent to the AHL? i know that barkov have a contract with his FEL club that, if he doesn't make it in the NHL, he have to move back to finland because his contract doesn't have an AHL clause

idk how ristos contract is

gudzilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 08:59 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

I get it now, the contract slide is still in place, from my understanding no matter where he plays (AHL, ECHL, CHL)

Old
10-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post
now, can he actually be sent to the AHL? i know that barkov have a contract with his FEL club that, if he doesn't make it in the NHL, he have to move back to finland because his contract doesn't have an AHL clause

idk how ristos contract is
There's no "AHL clause", a player can play in the AHL if all parties agree to it. It's happened with Swedish players(s) before. If the player wants to play in the AHL rather can go back to Europe, it would not be in the best interest of the European club to stop him.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Goodlad

vCash: 729
Quote:
I get it now, the contract slide is still in place, from my understanding no matter where he plays (AHL, ECHL, CHL)
Correct.

Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 11:45 AM
OcAirlines

Risto had been assigned to the AHL for a few days about a week ago btw, although I believe this was just a paper transaction and he never actually was with our AHL-squad. So it looks like he can be sent down to the AHL, but I don't now if there is an actual agreement in place with his FEL-team or if this wasn't necessary.

I believe that Turku wouldn't get him back anyway, if Risto isn't allowed to be sent down to the AHL then the Sabres will just keep him up for the rest of the year, as they feel that he has to learn the North American game and see little use in sending him back to Finland.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Well, they crossed the threshold and he's not likely to be going back at this point unless his play really, really falls off. His possession numbers are pretty piss pour even relative to the piss-pourness of the Sabres. OJT continues....

11-06-2013, 08:28 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Probably his most physical game of the season last night against the Sharks -- he has a very solid understanding of how to take good angles to initiate his checks already and likely will get better as he gets strong.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 09:22 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Probably his most physical game of the season last night against the Sharks -- he has a very solid understanding of how to take good angles to initiate his checks already and likely will get better as he gets strong.
Agreed. He plays a very 'smart' physical game.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 10:18 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
I thought that only applied for sending to juniors and being sent to the AHL has no "sliding" effect.
Yes, but if he went back to the AHL he would delay becoming a UFA by another year.

Quote:
He was very good against the Sharks. Easily the best game I've seen him play. Better than Myers anyway.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Get ready for more conversation over AHL eligibility... Buffalo is sending Ristolainen to Rochester again.

Old
11-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Gaps

Well, when Ristolainen was last moved to the AHL (on paper), the player coordinator of his team in FEL once again said in the media that he can't actually play in the AHL. Unless the Sabres have sorted this out with TPS, I would not be surprised if they contacted the IIHF, accusing the Sabres of trying to circumvent the transfer agreement. As far as TPS are concerned, Ristolainen is their contract player and can only play in Buffalo or Turku. We shall see what happens.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 09:43 AM
gallagt01

Risto has looked very good lately. This is all about Nolan/LaFontaine pumping the brakes on some of these kids. No reason to rush.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Well, when Ristolainen was last moved to the AHL (on paper), the player coordinator of his team in FEL once again said in the media that he can't actually play in the AHL. Unless the Sabres have sorted this out with TPS, I would not be surprised if they contacted the IIHF, accusing the Sabres of trying to circumvent the transfer agreement. As far as TPS are concerned, Ristolainen is their contract player and can only play in Buffalo or Turku. We shall see what happens.
Yep, if things are still up in the air there, I expectp TPS to file for their contract player.

Old
11-19-2013, 10:58 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Get ready for more conversation over AHL eligibility... Buffalo is sending Ristolainen to Rochester again.
I don't think one team can break the agreement between NHL and Finnish league.. I think the league (nhl) would actually stop them doing it, so I don't believe he'll actually skate in the AHL. But if this deal is not SM-Liiga -size (nothing to do with transfer agreement) deal, only Tappara's contract on the other side, It could be possible that they just break the contract. But I'm not sure how contracts are actually respected in North America. In Finland, deal is always a deal.. but cultures differ.

Even if it was just Tappara's contract against palying in the AHL, not any contract between leagues, of course it still could harm the future agreements between leagues. Also IIHF must have something on NA. Like not giving U20 games concept to Canada so often.

And then there is ofcourse the scenario, where Sabres pay for TPS stone cold dollars and they make new agreement and let him play. That wouldn't be possible, I think its more likely than just breaking the contract.

Last edited by QnebO: 11-19-2013 at 11:19 AM.
QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
I don't think one team can break the agreement between NHL and Finnish league.. I think the league (nhl) would actually stop them doing it, so I don't believe he'll actually skate in the AHL. But if this deal is not SM-Liiga -size (nothing to do with transfer agreement) deal, only Tappara's contract on the other side, It could be possible that they just break the contract. But I'm not sure how contracts are actually respected in North America. In Finland, deal is always a deal.. but cultures differ.

Even if it was just Tappara's contract against palying in the AHL, not any contract between leagues, of course it still could harm the future agreements between leagues. Also IIHF must have something on NA. Like not giving U20 games concept to Canada so often.

And then there is ofcourse the scenario, where Sabres pay for TPS stone cold dollars and they make new agreement and let him play. That wouldn't be possible, I think its more likely than just breaking the contract.
I don't want the Sabres to violate another team's binding contract. Pay their way out of it, sure... It'll be interesting for sure to see what comes of this.