HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Crossfit

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-19-2013, 09:11 AM
  #26
Maupin Fan
Hot Air
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Crossfit is not like riding a motorcycle. In no way or degree will I ever agree with that statement.

Also, just stating the word "many" does not mean anything to me. It should not mean anything to anyone on here. I see many injuries with people just going to LA fitness or working out in their home. I see many people getting hurt walking up/down the stairs. And it doesnt mean much in the context that you used it, that your wife and relatives are certified in any degree pertaining to this.

What is "many". How many. What type of CF injuries.

And even when you answer that. I will already know the answer. Its typical among any HIIT when form is lacked, when balance is unfocused. When people only care about lifting and working out, and forgetting that warm ups, cool downs, recovery treatments, nutrition is all important.

My friend only uses machines and dumbells in his work outs. Idk why. Hes at least 50lbs heavier than me, and he doesnt lift heavy at all in reference to his weight. I lift heavier than he can on a regular basis. Easy. I work out much more than him, I include OLY Lifts in my routines, and running and I do more on a daily basis than he probably does in 2-3 days. Yet, just by doing machines he always gets a hurt back. In fact sometimes he gets it so bad that he has to stop for a week or more and at one point I believe he had a herniated disc.

So im doing more crossfit like work outs. He is typical guy you see at a globo gym. And why have I never been hurt seriously. NOt even close. Not like... ooooo that was a close one with my back. Why? Because I followed the simple basic teachings that I learned on Crossfit Journal Intro Class. About warm ups, weights, form. Stretching.

If some crossfit athlete doesnt stretch properly before a big work out. Thats his fault. Not the gym or the class. Same goes for what he eats, what he does in between classes.



Crossfit is very sustainable. It just depends whats your weights. If I can snatch 150lbs... Someone else shouldnt be doing that same weight. Maybe they do more or less.

I see plenty of great stories and articles and medical journals about 80 year old WOMEN still doing Crossfit.

Women in their second trimester still performing Olympic lifts.

Children who work out in crossfit gyms



It is sustainable. Its amazing if you remember Crossfits #1 rule. Not from a single affiliation. Their main idea from the big boss himself.

First is Focus. Second is form. Third is intensity.

Whatever you do. Whether you join a Box. Or do crossfit like stuff at your own place. Remember those things.

You can do a 20 minute WOD. But you can also work out later on in the day and specialize in certain work outs that you wnt to improve in. Like squats.
I think I'm going to trust the knowledge of medical specialists with Ph.D's from Johns Hopkins and Emory and from respected, longtime fitness professionals like Mark Rippetoe in the articles that I linked over some moron that mindlessly spews information that he just read in a blog in every thread on here. You have no background in medicine or therapy other than what you Googled after reading this. No one cares about you, your workouts, or your buddies workouts. Thanks for your long-winded and pointless reply, per your usual.

Maupin Fan is offline  
Old
11-19-2013, 09:30 AM
  #27
Tikkanen
Pest
 
Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,293
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I've got a few problems with Crossfit...

First, it's short on safety. Lifting should not be done for speed. That's incredibly stupid. A lot of the form is bad. Kipping? No.

Second, there's poor progression. You're not growing lifts with WOD so much as randomly doing a bunch of stuff. If you want to alternate lifting days with cardio, that's fine, but you should be trying to work towards something with both of them. Have a plan.

Third, it's cultish. One of my best friends wives got pulled into the cult and ran off with another guy leaving him to deal with the kids and the financial fallout.
It's also incredibly expensive from the small amount of research I've done. I'd like to try it for a month just to see how it is, just don't see myself paying $150 a month and maintaining that energy level at 40 years old every time I want to go to the gym. I'd need a needle.


Last edited by Tikkanen: 11-19-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Tikkanen is offline  
Old
11-19-2013, 09:31 AM
  #28
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I've got a few problems with Crossfit...

First, it's short on safety. Lifting should not be done for speed. That's incredibly stupid. A lot of the form is bad. Kipping? No.

Second, there's poor progression. You're not growing lifts with WOD so much as randomly doing a bunch of stuff. If you want to alternate lifting days with cardio, that's fine, but you should be trying to work towards something with both of them. Have a plan.

Third, it's cultish. One of my best friends wives got pulled into the cult and ran off with another guy leaving him to deal with the kids and the financial fallout.
1) The concept of Crossfit is actually very much on safety. I would be naive to think that some trainers, some crossfitters, and some people who have done crossfit lack the knowledge of form and focus on their lifts. But it would be naive for any of you to believe that Crossfit lacks the knowledge of form and balance on lifts, pull ups, and what ever else they do (swimming, gymnastics, lunges, dips, muscle ups, wall balls). There are dozens of journals presented each week about form. Their introduction classes all talk about form. I am sure that the competitive ones can go out of form on some lifts, but if you watch professional weight lifters you will see them go out of form all the time. If you want to see gains, you have to push your body past its limits. Every kind of athlete will agree with me on there. And guess what. Going past your limits can include high reps, high volume and when you do those things you might lose form. You cant be high in form all the time. We are not perfect. But the most knowledgeable crossfitters are the ones who are in form consistently. So just make sure you know what your doing when you join a gym, a box, sign up with a trainer. Dont put all your trust in any of those things. Do your own research, your own practice.


2) Could not disagree with you any more on this subject. You can see fantastic gains doing Crossfit. But get off the subject of Crossfit for a second. Crossfit embodies MANY MANY MANY of the same things of the Eastern Bloc Training methods that led the Soviet Union, Yugoslavia, and many European countries to hundreds and hundreds of gold medals. Including the understanding of plyometrics, olympic lifts, high reps, METABOLIC CONDITIONING (in Crossfit this is known as a Met-Con). And when they won... no one cared. They awed in their power and results. Now that it has a business model around it, everyone goes nuts on the subject to attack it.

Believe it or not. Go look up some of the best athletes in any sport and you might find plenty of people who do very much of the same thing Crossfitters do. I know Brent Burns does Crossfit. Competes too. Matt Duchene, Sidney Crosby and anyone else who works out with Andy Obrien, there stuff is a lot of the same ideaolgy of crossfit. Look at St. Louis and people at his gym. Doing non-stop sleds, wall balls, high box jumps, squats... THAT IS CROSSFIT! Theres no Leg day at St. louis routine. Everyday he hits the legs.

Go look at an Olympic Lifter for the USA. Jon North. He will train 3x a day, for 2-3 hours on squats/deadlifts/good mornings/C&Js and other stuff for 6x a week and sometimes a 7th depending on coaches mood.

Kobe Bryant was asked if he would do Crossfit. He looked at some videos and said I dont do "Crossfit" but that stuff they do. HIIT, Squats, Snatches, resistance training, wall balls, high box jumps, pull ups. Thats a whole lot of what he does in preperation for a season.

I can go on and on on. About how much BULL**** the YOUR MUSCLES NEED A REST is.

Crossfitters all the time say I hate rest days. I feel worse if i had to take a rest day for whatever reason.

Jaromir Jagr doesnt take rest days. He works out squatting and ankle weights and power skating everyday during the season!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And he was taught to do that by guys like Paul Coffey and other bad ***es.

Gary Roberts who is picking up popularity with his training ideas has work outs VERY VERY VERY similar to crossfit. I think he even has an article where he applauds it. And said that if Steven Stamkos didnt stop his training and his diet half thru his 60 goal season, then he would have had a better finish than he did.

Thesensation19 is offline  
Old
11-19-2013, 09:46 AM
  #29
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
It's also incredibly expensive from the small amount of research I've done. I'd like to try it for a month just to see how it is, just don't see myself paying $150 a month and maintaining that energy level at 40 years old every time I want to go to the gym. I'd need a needle.
Finally a sensible argument.
You are incredibly right! It is soooo expensive. My gym here is $175 a month.
Which I believe I would do but the classes are not in my time range. The classes are either 5am, during work or 7pm. So its like ahhh do i want to pay 175 to miss a bunch of classes.

But i am heavily considering it. And I am considering it more and more because Im the type of guy (23 years old) who loves working out and going past my limits and learning functional movements.

I love seeing pregnant women doing it, little kids doing it, 80 year olds doing it.
Theres no excuses. The volume is always scaled for anyone (even just beginners) but you have to find the right gym,.


The reason Crossfit is so expensive is because it gives you gymnastics, olympic lifts and several personal trainers ON TOP of several different classes in speciality courses, defense classes, swimming, yoga, whatever (depending on the gym you go to)

And one of those things... might cost over $100 a month to do. Real ones. Like Muay Tai is another great class to do and thats almost 200 in some places. And thats just one form of training. Personal trainers too. That can go way past 200.


In 175 a month. You have several courses and classes you can do. You have open gyms. And unlimited classes.

Thesensation19 is offline  
Old
11-19-2013, 09:53 AM
  #30
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
It's also incredibly expensive from the small amount of research I've done. I'd like to try it for a month just to see how it is, just don't see myself paying $150 a month and maintaining that energy level at 40 years old every time I want to go to the gym. I'd need a needle.
Btw its a bad excuse if your saying because your 40 or because its 150.

1) 150 is unlimited a month. Go after different packages. And groupon always has different deals. Like i saw once 30 bucks for 15 classes or something. and all crossfits have their own free intro class. My cousin went, just started to get into working out. Use to be a isolated type of guy and lift heavy and have supplements. Through my learnings from MOSTLY (not all) crossfit related stuff I got him into eating REAL foods, doing functional training, and stretching. He went and he LOVESSSSSS it now. No real athletic background either.


2) 40 years old is an excuse. I am 24 soon and I am sure Ill hear my fair share of wait til you get my age or whatever. But thats the thing. By doing functional training exercises, focusing on recovery and stretching and eating real foods and what not. When I am 40. I wont feel like you will.

What? You think its just Luck that guys like Chelios, Jagr, Messier can play professional hockey way past 40?

NO! Its called never letting you body become comfortable with rest. Always training it one way or another. Yes genetics does play a part but you cnat control that. Control what you can. Get up every morning and go for a jog and if you cant jog then stretch. Eat healthy, real clean food. Work out every day and do something new. One day I do squats and dips. Another I do a full met con. Another I do dead lifts and back extensions. And im being modest with that... I am in the gym for about 2 hour and every time I do a 15 minute warm up, a 15 minute cool down included.

Sleep at least 7.5 hours a day. Try to. I tryto get 8 with my work load

And theres no excuses. I work at an engineering firm from 7am to 7pm I leave my house with an hour of commute each way.

I do this cuz i love it. Maybe everyone cant have my work out load for just that average joes like us. But at least stretch everyday, and when you work out do functional based stuff. Replace those bicep curls with pull ups. Replace machines with deadlifts and squats. Get off the Smith machine too. Do a jog. Learn the differ between a static and dynamic stretch. Eat the right amount of calories, Not less because you want to look better. Work out more to look better.

Thesensation19 is offline  
Old
11-19-2013, 10:16 AM
  #31
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Forget my rambling above.
Listen to this. Its real simple. I speak so aggressively about it because I believe in it. I believe its right, and I believe its great and I have seen personal gains. Forget any article you read or headlines you saw or science to argue either side. Listen to my experience real fast.

I use to do isolated lifts. Split my muscles up. Eat kind of good. I mean I ate home cooked meals (European) at least 5x a week and the other two was usually like Pizza or Chinese or some sandwhich.

Well. I felt fine then. But I knew I could do better. I could do more.

I found guys like Andy Obrien and Gary Roberts and found Crossfit. I found this link...
http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...012013-SDy.pdf

Its a pdf. If that does not work. then here is the link to quickly download the pdf (takes 2 seconds)
http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/05/...ning-guide.tpl
on the right hand side


I read it. I read basically 90% of all its theory. Its the basic ideology of crossfit. And it pretty much goes hand in hand with what Gary Roberts and Andy Obrien teach their students (both proessuional athletes and everyday joe smoes).

It talked about how nutrition is huge. Super foods. More veggies. Some fruit. No added salt, no added sugar. Eat lots of protein, but eat a balanced meal of carbs and fats too.

It talked about functional work outs in Gymnastics and Olympic lifting and sprinting and plyometrics.

Work out 3x, 1 rest day (which does not mean sit on the couch) and then 3x a again in a differ order.

It talks about metabolic conditioning. Something that the Soviet union did. I love their training.

So I switched my entire life to this lifestyle.
No more bicep curls. Now I do more pull ups, and chin ups and reverse rows.
No more machines. I do real squats, real deadlifts and now I do Snatches and Clean and jerks. BIg complex but simple movements that need flexibility and power. In doing work. I am improving force and thus improving my strength and speed and acceleration. F=ma. W=Fd
I started to forget about overhead dumbell shoulder press and do dips.


I mean, once ina blue moon i like to add these curls and isolated movements. But they are what I call my side dish.
First I focus on main dish lifts. Big complex functional, full body compound routine. Then once in a blue moon I add in a bit of isolated stuff.


I changed my diet. I am not paleo. I am not zone. I eat less bread and less gluten. In fact I sometimes get rid of it. I replaced it with veggies and salad and some fruit. I only add salt (must be real unprocessed salt, not table salt. Like sea salt is great) to my cooking. Nothing after. Sugar. I rarellllly ever have. If I do, I have a little bit in my coffee like once a week. I eat more super foods like Kale, Blue berries, avacados, Cocunut and honey.




And heres the big thing.
I LOVE IT. I never felt better. I add in some yoga a week. I do some running on the same days because it makes me feel great. If i feel pain, I dont over exert myself. If i feel sore. I warm up properly and be wary of it. But I hitthe gym hard. No cell phone. No distractions. 45 min lifts. 15 min stretching and warm up. 15 min cool down and stretch. Basically every day.

if i cant work out. I stretch. Or go for a quick jog or row.



People who say Crossfit work outs dont relate to sports is being dumb.
Squat. Getting real low on your squat a real Oly Squat is directly beneficial to a sport using your feet.
Deadlifts too.
Anything to improve your force, your work, your speed, your strength. Functional.

Do bicep curls is like lifting furniture over your sofa. No need. Your body is never in that position.

A kip is not bad. Its exactly what a real human should do to lift himself over an edge. Its what gymnasts do


basically.
I never saw as much gains as I do with Crossfit ideologies and methods.
if i need work on my form. I spend extra time doing so.

Thesensation19 is offline  
Old
11-19-2013, 10:55 AM
  #32
Ozz
Registered User
 
Ozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hockeytown
Country: United States
Posts: 6,211
vCash: 500
God I hope I don't regret getting into this...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post

It talked about how nutrition is huge. Super foods. More veggies. Some fruit. No added salt, no added sugar. Eat lots of protein, but eat a balanced meal of carbs and fats too.
That's not ground-breaking. Nutrition for any athlete is as important as the in-gym work, whatever it may be.

Quote:
It talked about functional work outs in Gymnastics and Olympic lifting and sprinting and plyometrics.

Work out 3x, 1 rest day (which does not mean sit on the couch) and then 3x a again in a differ order.
Plenty of bodybuilding/powerbuilding routines can be like that as well. Nothing needs to be specifically on any day to see progress; it's all in the continuation of it. As they say, "the best routine is the one you stick to". As well, plyo work is definitely a part of powerlifting routines, and can be that of a bodybuilding routine as well if the user so desires. I do it right now and have for years.

Quote:
It talks about metabolic conditioning. Something that the Soviet union did. I love their training.
Again, nothing new. It just so happens you found out about things others have known through Crossfit. That's fine, but do realize that people knew these things before.

Quote:
No more bicep curls. Now I do more pull ups, and chin ups and reverse rows.
No more machines. I do real squats, real deadlifts and now I do Snatches and Clean and jerks. BIg complex but simple movements that need flexibility and power. In doing work. I am improving force and thus improving my strength and speed and acceleration. F=ma. W=Fd
I started to forget about overhead dumbell shoulder press and do dips.
This bugs me because it makes it seem like all bodybuilders are idiots who endlessly do useless work. Not so. Sure there are tons who don't know what they're doing, but you can say the same for any routine. MANY BB and powerbuilders focus on pullups and heavy pull work over direct bicep work. Like you, some add direct bicep work "just 'cuz" but definitely understand as you do that it's not necessary. That's just the old school way, and Crossfit sure as heck didn't unearth the knowledge that they weren't better than great back work. Any bodybuilder worth his salt has dips and pullups near the #1 lifts in his arsenal. I know they're in mine!

Regarding pullups vs. Kip pullups, obviously the Kip is better for "doing" them inasmuch as using your body motion to help lighten the load. That's the entire point. Though because of that it lessens the usefulness for your muscles by taking them out of the movement somewhat by their very nature. There's no arguing that. Traditional lifters' arguments is just that - it makes the move easier and doesn't beat your lats and therefore you won't see equal development. Sure you may be able to do more Kip pullups, but that's only good if you have to do more Kip pullups than somebody at some point. A guy like me at 5'10" and 205lbs., I can bang off 30 wide grip/slow pullups as a warmup. I'd say that's plenty strong and I don't have to throw my legs up for help. I think I'd be fine hanging off a cliff. I can also do numerous one arm pullups (though likely not if I were hanging off a cliff holding onto a rock and not a pullup bar, haha). That's seems pretty damn "real-world use" to me.

I'm sure we've all seen the Marines at events and fairs or whatever where they have the pullup bar and have people do X amount to win prizes. I've made them look foolish. I recall once going up once and beginning to do pullups the bodybuilding way: wide, palms out, slow, controlled. The guy called me a pretty boy or tough guy or something and asked if I thought I could do more than he could. I told him I wouldn't be surprised, so he jumped on the other bar. I did more than he did in my stupid bodybuilding manner than he could with palms inward, legs kicking, and with no fighting the negative portion of the lift so as to save his muscles from quicker tiring :p I think it's safe to say that the Marines aren't having their men do BB style training routines in preparation for combat, and a lot of good that did him that day :p


My only point is there's not reason to put down more traditional lifting styles when it comes to comparing it to Crossfit. Depending on what the traditional lifters are doing, you could find yourself eating crow in no time. The big trouble with traditional style lifting is that, overall, there aren't many very structured or specific routines. Everyone knows "bicep curls, 3 sets 10 reps" but that comes from...nothing. If one were to reference HIT or HST training styles, then they'd have an argument because those are very structured similar to Crossfit, etc. My personal favorite is DC Training, which is *** brutal and helps with overall conditioning as well as crazy strength gains that can rival straight-up powerlifting training.



You might confuse me with an anti-Crossfitter but that's not the case at all. I don't like everything it encompasses but that's just my opinion. I just don't think much of it what is preported is necessary, just as I would also say that many traditional training styles include things that are highly unnecessary. I suppose my problem is the people themselves, not able to learn from their bodies enough to know what is and isn't needed. This is why I chose to not further my sports sciences & nutrition career years ago; I, like you, am incredibly passionate about all things fitness. While I love training people and helping (I also have helped run a fitness forum site with members ranging from IFBB pro card holders to personal trainers to famous trainers such as Alan Aragon, etc.). I just coudn't let my livelihood rely on others' shortcomings, so I opted out. I still find enjoyment out of training friends and helping them though, and that's good enough for me.

Anyway...

It just seems the best ideas you mentioned as "because of Crossfit", are things that you could've just as well learned elsewhere. It is good to see that they incorporate such things though.

Ozz is online now  
Old
11-20-2013, 01:10 PM
  #33
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
God I hope I don't regret getting into this...




That's not ground-breaking. Nutrition for any athlete is as important as the in-gym work, whatever it may be.



Plenty of bodybuilding/powerbuilding routines can be like that as well. Nothing needs to be specifically on any day to see progress; it's all in the continuation of it. As they say, "the best routine is the one you stick to". As well, plyo work is definitely a part of powerlifting routines, and can be that of a bodybuilding routine as well if the user so desires. I do it right now and have for years.



Again, nothing new. It just so happens you found out about things others have known through Crossfit. That's fine, but do realize that people knew these things before.



This bugs me because it makes it seem like all bodybuilders are idiots who endlessly do useless work. Not so. Sure there are tons who don't know what they're doing, but you can say the same for any routine. MANY BB and powerbuilders focus on pullups and heavy pull work over direct bicep work. Like you, some add direct bicep work "just 'cuz" but definitely understand as you do that it's not necessary. That's just the old school way, and Crossfit sure as heck didn't unearth the knowledge that they weren't better than great back work. Any bodybuilder worth his salt has dips and pullups near the #1 lifts in his arsenal. I know they're in mine!

Regarding pullups vs. Kip pullups, obviously the Kip is better for "doing" them inasmuch as using your body motion to help lighten the load. That's the entire point. Though because of that it lessens the usefulness for your muscles by taking them out of the movement somewhat by their very nature. There's no arguing that. Traditional lifters' arguments is just that - it makes the move easier and doesn't beat your lats and therefore you won't see equal development. Sure you may be able to do more Kip pullups, but that's only good if you have to do more Kip pullups than somebody at some point. A guy like me at 5'10" and 205lbs., I can bang off 30 wide grip/slow pullups as a warmup. I'd say that's plenty strong and I don't have to throw my legs up for help. I think I'd be fine hanging off a cliff. I can also do numerous one arm pullups (though likely not if I were hanging off a cliff holding onto a rock and not a pullup bar, haha). That's seems pretty damn "real-world use" to me.

I'm sure we've all seen the Marines at events and fairs or whatever where they have the pullup bar and have people do X amount to win prizes. I've made them look foolish. I recall once going up once and beginning to do pullups the bodybuilding way: wide, palms out, slow, controlled. The guy called me a pretty boy or tough guy or something and asked if I thought I could do more than he could. I told him I wouldn't be surprised, so he jumped on the other bar. I did more than he did in my stupid bodybuilding manner than he could with palms inward, legs kicking, and with no fighting the negative portion of the lift so as to save his muscles from quicker tiring :p I think it's safe to say that the Marines aren't having their men do BB style training routines in preparation for combat, and a lot of good that did him that day :p


My only point is there's not reason to put down more traditional lifting styles when it comes to comparing it to Crossfit. Depending on what the traditional lifters are doing, you could find yourself eating crow in no time. The big trouble with traditional style lifting is that, overall, there aren't many very structured or specific routines. Everyone knows "bicep curls, 3 sets 10 reps" but that comes from...nothing. If one were to reference HIT or HST training styles, then they'd have an argument because those are very structured similar to Crossfit, etc. My personal favorite is DC Training, which is *** brutal and helps with overall conditioning as well as crazy strength gains that can rival straight-up powerlifting training.



You might confuse me with an anti-Crossfitter but that's not the case at all. I don't like everything it encompasses but that's just my opinion. I just don't think much of it what is preported is necessary, just as I would also say that many traditional training styles include things that are highly unnecessary. I suppose my problem is the people themselves, not able to learn from their bodies enough to know what is and isn't needed. This is why I chose to not further my sports sciences & nutrition career years ago; I, like you, am incredibly passionate about all things fitness. While I love training people and helping (I also have helped run a fitness forum site with members ranging from IFBB pro card holders to personal trainers to famous trainers such as Alan Aragon, etc.). I just coudn't let my livelihood rely on others' shortcomings, so I opted out. I still find enjoyment out of training friends and helping them though, and that's good enough for me.

Anyway...

It just seems the best ideas you mentioned as "because of Crossfit", are things that you could've just as well learned elsewhere. It is good to see that they incorporate such things though.
You can choose to go to one of the rare-to-find Olympic Weight Lifting gyms around the country to train specifically on the ideas of Oly WL. Sure. You can do the same for the-more-profound-yet-still-rare gymnastic gymnasiums to learn their trades and work with their tools. Both a pretty penny nonetheless. The training and methodology of both these "gyms" are extremely valuable and extremely underrated in society, especially America.

What Crossfit offers is one thing no other gym does. They take these two vastly different methodologies, yet extremely useful training ideas and they allow you to be exposed to both. For also a pretty-penny but you are exposed to two different methods.

On another note, a Crossfit gym will also provide you with the up to date facts on nutrition. Which at an Olympic WL gym is totally different nutritional guidelines than a gymnast. And actually, both of these diets are vastly different from what Crossfit is. Which is basically a simple, natural, real food diet.

You say you learn this anywhere.

But the truth is that many many many people dont. 70% (I believe, at least 60% I read on FDA site) of people in America is malnourished. Meaning, lack of nutrition. We are on par with countries that barely can feed themselves everyday. Why? Not because we lack resources or money but because of our knowledge of nutrition and diet. We (society) thinks less calories is healthy... all fat(s) are bad. And preservatives are fine. Even people who claim they are eating fresh food, organic food, all natural... just buy the hype and marketing...

I am totally passionate about this, but honestly I would not have learned this without my own research which took tons of time and focus.

What I learned through my research, is far off from what we learn in society and from the government. What I know now is pretty much on the right road to a healthy lifestyle and performance recovery, none of which is the same w what I learned in grade school, college or from any sports team I ever played on.

Basic nutritional guidelines were just what it was. Basic. Thank god I had good parents who were smart in this aspect and were all about natural foods. Yet even they are behind on some important matters.



So Crossfit not only includes weight lifting, functional training, HIIT, gymnastics all in one. Which not ONE single gym does. It brings in a whole source of information of up to date facts on nutrition and diets. They hold seminars and classes on all of these all the time.

I understand some trainers may lack certain knowledge on specific ordeals but thats the beauty of CF. They are growing the knowledge.

And some crossfit gyms actually are run by real experts and real trainers and some ex-professional/olympic athletes.







My fav part of the entire CF is its an open source in a way. Not open in the sense that ANYone can share anything. But in Youtube, gyms, classes, certificates, podcasts and world games they are spreading the idea of fitness like no other...

I love the idea.

Thesensation19 is offline  
Old
11-20-2013, 01:16 PM
  #34
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
I want to apologize for my outbreak earlier. I just cant believe some comments, like Crossfit is a cult and then share a story on how some friends wife left him... whatever.

Anyway I apologize for how I debated this.


Its simple. I believe in functional fitness and what Crossfit is about. You may not.
However. I want to share this

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...+shurgged&sm=3

This is a podcast on Apple Itunes or Youtube. I just started to listen to these guys and I think its not only extremely informative but extremely funny. I wouldnt listen to it if it was like one or two guys in monotone lol


I shared that page because you can then choose one of the 90 or so episodes (once a week new) on different topics.

I have not found a personal fav yet. Maybe you will


Though these guys own a Crossfit gym and the podcast is towards Crossfitters (which is their biggest audience) they do talk a lot about nutrition, supplements, weight lifting, olympics, mma.

Their intro says it all. They talk about beers, fitness, strength, power, beer, coffee, coffee, coffee, supplements lol. Maybe not in that order but yea.

real fun

Thesensation19 is offline  
Old
11-20-2013, 01:17 PM
  #35
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M22B1sSjx8g

This one was real good. Diet and how one group of people beat Cancer with diet.

Check it out.

I have no affiliation but I do listen to them all the time

Thesensation19 is offline  
Old
11-20-2013, 01:42 PM
  #36
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 33,914
vCash: 156
All I know is my only friends who have gotten significant injuries that limited them for an extended period of time (Three months in one case) got injured doing Crossfit. Not soccer, football, softball, Insanity, boxing, or running. They told the same tale of aggressive trainers and partners and a culture that encouraged them to push harder than they could...and these were not out of shape people; they were at different locations, too, so it's not like they were at one bad apple gym.

Maybe you're a member of a location that's well run. Well, that's fine...but I wouldn't want to take the risk. I have a hard enough time not pushing myself past my limits to finish sets as it is, and that's while lifting/sprinting alone...put me in a culture that encourages/glorifies that sort of thing and I will get injured again. I think I'll stay away.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
11-20-2013, 01:52 PM
  #37
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
For those who say Crossfit wont make you a better hockey player, I will try to debate this in simple points

1) Olympic Weight Lifting is a highly athletic based sport which helps strengthen and improve your power throughout your body. Isolated movements help strengthen one particular muscle, or points on a body. OLY Lifts is a compound exercise that connects all those points like hockey would need you to do. Why care about your bench press if your squat sucks. Plus real Oly Lifts entail the use of hip flexibility and that is super important in hockey or most sports

2) Gymnastics- A lot of flexibility work, a lot of core strength, a lot of agility and form is needed. All of which is needed in hockey. Doing a lat pull down makes you strengthen your lacks and some parts on your back. Doing a pull up, strengthen your muscles throughout your back and core and legs and shoulders. Same goes when you compare any gymanstic work out to its isolated counterpart. Doing a kipping pull up is not bad form. Its another form of a pull up. Ive done them and unlike a pull up (which i also do) a kip will do less of my lats and back (less, not none) and more of my abs and shouders

In hockey your never asked to stand still and push somebody. Your asked to drive your legs, hold your balance (with 1 or 2 feet) and get low. Possibly hitting someone, shooting/passing or just staying man to man.

It entails the need for you to not be strong in your legs and back but how to use your muscles efficiently.


3) HIIT- Crossfit is about time and reps. But its also about efficiency. In sports like hockey, well especially hockey I shouldnt have to explain why its important. If i have to... look up metabolic conditioning. Short summary- it helps improve the conditioning of your muscles for a sport like hockey.

Thesensation19 is offline  
Old
11-20-2013, 02:14 PM
  #38
Tikkanen
Pest
 
Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,293
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
I have a guy on my team who blew out his knee doing Insanity. I'm not gonna make the argument that Insanity is bad based on that but it is called Insanity, just saying.

Tikkanen is offline  
Old
11-20-2013, 03:46 PM
  #39
Puck Farise
Registered User
 
Puck Farise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19
I just cant believe some comments, like Crossfit is a cult
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19
I believe in functional fitness and what Crossfit is about. You may not. However. I want to share this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19
It is soooo expensive. My gym here is $175 a month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19
But i am heavily considering it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19
I speak so aggressively about it because I believe in it. I believe its right, and I believe its great
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19
Listen to my experience real fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19
Its the basic ideology of crossfit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19
So I switched my entire life to this lifestyle.


Olympics lifts? Sure, they have their place in a workout routine.
HIIT? Sure, it's got it's place in a workout routine.
Plyo? Sure, it's got it's place in a workout routine.
Cardio? Sure, it's got it's place in a workout routine.

Throw em all together at once? no. Doing heavy compound olympic lifts in a pre-exhausted state is a way to work yourself into a spinal injury.

As many rounds (and slipped discs!) for time in 20 mins!
20 box jumps
12 demented monkey pullups
10 deadlifts @ 185 lbs


And finally, my gym only has dumbbells that go up to 105


Last edited by Canadiens1958: 11-20-2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: points stand without asterisks etc.
Puck Farise is offline  
Old
11-20-2013, 04:26 PM
  #40
Stickchecked
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
This thread is worse than chirping someone for wearing Carey Price gear. Let people workout however they want.

I'm sorry, but you can get injured doing ANY workout: Crossfit, hockey, Insanity, yoga, eating pancakes.

The most effective workout regimens are always going to require intense workloads that break down the body to enable adaptation / getting stronger. It's a balancing act between pushing hard enough and pushing too hard, something that every serious athlete struggles with. There is no magic formula.

Most people (myself included) do not workout hard/intensely enough.

The bias against Crossfit is that it plants itself solidly on the "push hard enough" spectrum. That leads to BOTH better results and more injuries. It's up the individual to take control of their own workouts and maintain the balancing act. If you're one to allow peer pressure to push you over the edge towards overdoing it, you really have no one to blame but yourself.

Don't blame the workout.

Stickchecked is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 03:05 AM
  #41
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 33,914
vCash: 156
I've definitely had a few "That felt close to being a disaster" moments with my knees doing Insanity. No idea how close it actually was because I'm paranoid about knee and ankle stuff.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
11-21-2013, 04:00 AM
  #42
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,160
vCash: 500
Yeah the whole anti-cross fit argument is old.

People get injured in crossfit just like they do in any activity. Overdoing/extending themselves.

Lonny Bohonos is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 07:31 AM
  #43
Frank Booth239*
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lumberton, NC
Posts: 257
vCash: 500
I'll give you the military perspective on CF:

I first heard of it in 2010 when I went to a school at Ft. Bragg and all of a sudden, everybody was doing it, and I wound up doing it every day. Pretty much overnight, it had taken over the Special Operations community, much in the way MMA had supplanted our usual hand to hand combat training years earlier.

I liked a lot of the exercises- the kettlebells, the jacob's ladder, box jumps, rope drags, ect. I dig stuff that works muscles you usually don't use and smokes you cardio wise. I still work many of those into my normal routine of free weights and running.

But this whole obsession with the Olympic Lifting exercises I think is where it fails. The snatches, the dead lifts, the clean and jerks with these big rubber bumper plates. Okay, fine, but not 200 of them as fast as you can manage, because you want to measure yourself (mod edit) against your buddies on the white board at the end. I don't care how great your form is- if you do something (especially involving your back) hundreds of time as fast as you can, you are asking for trouble.

On my last deployment- my whole team was CF obsessed. Bunch of 24-30 year old studs in professional athlete shape if not better. Our medic was a certified CF instructor (and now makes a lot of money off of it). They were all taking HGH to boot. Doing CF every day at 8500 feet in the particular province we were in.

Halfway into the deployment- they looked like Greek Gods. At the end of the deployment, 1/3 of them needed surgery due to CF related injuries. And the medic had a prolapsed rectum. Not sure if that had anything to do with CF. I had severe tendinitis in both my elbows, and I only CF'd a couple of days a week with them. Probably due more to regular freeweights. And I'm old, so there's that.

Anyway- moral of the story- I've seen more Special Forces guys that I can count go down from continuous CF activities. And these are not your typical schlubby guy off the street who goes to far- they're guys already in the best shape possible before even starting, are under the tutelage of certified instructors, and they still get wore out.

I think CF exercises are great- just not every day. Would you run every day? No- that jacks you up. CF should be worked into a couple of days a week into a regimen of running and normal freeweight activity, IMO.


Last edited by Canadiens1958: 11-21-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Frank Booth239* is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 08:24 AM
  #44
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Farise View Post


Olympics lifts? Sure, they have their place in a workout routine.
HIIT? Sure, it's got it's place in a workout routine.
Plyo? Sure, it's got it's place in a workout routine.
Cardio? Sure, it's got it's place in a workout routine.

Throw em all together at once? no. Doing heavy compound olympic lifts in a pre-exhausted state is a way to work yourself into a spinal injury.

As many rounds (and slipped discs!) for time in 20 mins!
20 box jumps
12 demented monkey pullups
10 deadlifts @ 185 lbs


And finally, my gym only has dumbbells that go up to 105
Why cant you? I do it. Hundreds of others do it. Some people get hurt out of ignorance to their recovery or form and bad teachings and now the entire philosophy goes under? Eh whatever. I wont be able to change your mind, or many others. Idc really. I love crossfit. I feel better. I am stronger. I am more flexible and functional as opposed to my other training methods in the past.

Btw. You cant do that WOD. Not because you personally cant. But because you do a WOD for time in 20 minutes. 20 minutes is your time. I get that you were joking... but lets be serious for a second. Your jokes on the subject tell me that you never tried this before.

And stop making it seem so new and impossible. Soviet Union and the Eastern Block training has done this for decades. This type of training is what made Soviets so strong in every sport.

Btw. Besides the jokes, I do that WOD pretty regularly.
That one part is called a Round. And i usually do 3-5 rounds. Or I see how many rounds I can do in 20-30 minutes

20 box jumps is nothing. They usually do like 3-4 feet. if you cant do that yet. Do 2 feet.
12 "kip" pull ups. This is not really the scenario where you would do a kip. A kip is for high reps. Crossfit does allow you to do strict. Its not out of their realm. They also have butterfly, and strict and L and muscle ups. Muscle ups. FANTASTIC
185 deadlift 10x? Nothing. If you cant do 185, Crossfit has scales.

So if your new to it you can scale it down.

For example. Kids do this but instead of 185. They do like 45lbs.

Novice athletes might need a scaling on pull ups. SO they use a band. Much more useful and helpful than a pull up machine.

Doing it 5x or 3x or X amount in 20 minutes turns it into a metabolic condition. It trains your body to withstand those challenges. Its the same when "experts" say you cant run a marathon too many times in a given time. Then you see hundreds of people run one every other week.

Listen. try it. Stop knocking it. I love it, you might too.

Dont be scared. Your not going to SLIP YOUR DISC unless you have bad form. The point is not to do it as fast as possible. The point is to do it as efficiently possible.

Thesensation19 is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 08:27 AM
  #45
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I've definitely had a few "That felt close to being a disaster" moments with my knees doing Insanity. No idea how close it actually was because I'm paranoid about knee and ankle stuff.
That is upsetting. I would suggest you first fix the issue in your knee. With massages, ice packs, walks and proper rest.

More importantly is improving the flexibility of your knee, ankle and hips. Something so overlooked.

Then strengthen the muscles of your knee and quads.

Thats when you do lunges and squats. People get scared that squats is not good for bad knees. A proper squat. An ideal one. Is not one in which will do anything bad foryour knee. A squat is sitting down. Bad knee form will damage further

Thesensation19 is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 08:31 AM
  #46
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Booth23 View Post
I'll give you the military perspective on CF:

I first heard of it in 2010 when I went to a school at Ft. Bragg and all of a sudden, everybody was doing it, and I wound up doing it every day. Pretty much overnight, it had taken over the Special Operations community, much in the way MMA had supplanted our usual hand to hand combat training years earlier.

I liked a lot of the exercises- the kettlebells, the jacob's ladder, box jumps, rope drags, ect. I dig stuff that works muscles you usually don't use and smokes you cardio wise. I still work many of those into my normal routine of free weights and running.

But this whole obsession with the Olympic Lifting exercises I think is where it fails. The snatches, the dead lifts, the clean and jerks with these big rubber bumper plates. Okay, fine, but not 200 of them as fast as you can manage, because you want to measure yourself (mod edit) against your buddies on the white board at the end. I don't care how great your form is- if you do something (especially involving your back) hundreds of time as fast as you can, you are asking for trouble.

On my last deployment- my whole team was CF obsessed. Bunch of 24-30 year old studs in professional athlete shape if not better. Our medic was a certified CF instructor (and now makes a lot of money off of it). They were all taking HGH to boot. Doing CF every day at 8500 feet in the particular province we were in.

Halfway into the deployment- they looked like Greek Gods. At the end of the deployment, 1/3 of them needed surgery due to CF related injuries. And the medic had a prolapsed rectum. Not sure if that had anything to do with CF. I had severe tendinitis in both my elbows, and I only CF'd a couple of days a week with them. Probably due more to regular freeweights. And I'm old, so there's that.

Anyway- moral of the story- I've seen more Special Forces guys that I can count go down from continuous CF activities. And these are not your typical schlubby guy off the street who goes to far- they're guys already in the best shape possible before even starting, are under the tutelage of certified instructors, and they still get wore out.

I think CF exercises are great- just not every day. Would you run every day? No- that jacks you up. CF should be worked into a couple of days a week into a regimen of running and normal freeweight activity, IMO.
? The beauty of crossfit is the cross-training aspect. One day you do gymnastics, one day you WL, one day you do both. It attacks all differ muscles so your not overloading one part of your body.

With proper recovery and rest and hydration... you can def do it

There are people who do. Just like people who play hockey everyday or run marathons every other week. And run everyday...

If you dont want to... its fine. Dont say you cant. I see it already

Thesensation19 is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 08:36 AM
  #47
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Yeah the whole anti-cross fit argument is old.

People get injured in crossfit just like they do in any activity. Overdoing/extending themselves.
The CEO said it beautifully the other day.

Not qoute for quote but something like...
If you dont want to get up on some rings and do pull ups and muscle ups because your afraid of falling and breaking your neck... then we dont want u in our ranks.

haha.
I see average joes lift weights everyday who may or may not see a doctor for their obv issues. But they dont do anythin close to crossfit and look in pain lifting weights simple. simple curls and benching and they turn into people with bad backs and hernias.

Thesensation19 is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 08:42 AM
  #48
Coachtdoig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
I have mixed feelings about cross-fit. I have seen some places that are coached very well and everyone only progresses when form is perfect. On the flip side I have seen some disasters where someone is doing a clean, extending in their back and you can tell they are a pull or push away from blowing a disk in their back. Cross-Fit has such a wide range of its good and bad that its tough to generalize it saying that its awesome or awful.

When training you need to have phases where you are setting yourself up to be successful. You need to build a base and then start adding the building blocks to that. If you are building a house you have to dig a hole, pour the concrete and then you start to build the house on top. Our bodies are essentially the same, build a strong base so that your body can functionally stabilize the weight that you start to push around.

Ciao,
TD

Coachtdoig is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 08:47 AM
  #49
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march
 
PensBandwagonerNo272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,354
vCash: 450
There are more efficient ways to get "in shape" than crossfit. Plain and simple.

And I am not trashing it whatsoever.

To answer the OP --> 110lbs.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is online now  
Old
11-21-2013, 08:57 AM
  #50
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
There are more efficient ways to get "in shape" than crossfit. Plain and simple.

And I am not trashing it whatsoever.

To answer the OP --> 110lbs.
That is not a fact. That is an opinion.
I wont argue with you. Just try it sometime.

Also look at Will Johnson Crossfit video on Youtube.
Great story

Thesensation19 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.