HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Nyquist Call-up Countdown Clock

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Syckle78

vCash: 500
I choose to believe.

Because,well, why the hell not?

Old
11-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

There will likely be an injury bug during December/January like always. He'll get his chance then.

Old
11-18-2013, 09:46 PM
claudetheturtle

Old
11-18-2013, 11:29 PM
Flowah
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
WHAT? Blasphemy!

Uhhhh, I need to double-check my math, gonna hold off on the bet
Wait wait wait.

Did you just get my hopes up? I will do terrible. terrible things to you.

Old
11-19-2013, 12:45 AM
RedWingzz
#20in07

December 14th:

Ken Holland- "Red Wings fans, we have a special announcement to make. Our club is pleased to announce that we are calling up a very special player from our American League affiliate. I know, it has been quite a while, and some of you we're calling for this move a while ago, but the reality of the situation is that we we're in a salary cap mess. We are thrilled to call up from the AHL a very special player. Without further ado, the Detroit Red Wings are pleased to announce that Brennan Evans will be joining the club"

Old
11-19-2013, 12:46 AM
RedWingzz
#20in07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
My point was it's better to set your expectations "safe" and think he won't be on the team until later, rather than sooner.

But I'll bet you any amount of vcash you want he's not on the team until January 2014. And if I lose I'll be more than glad to pay you
for the record, wtf is vcash? I've always been wondering this...

Old
11-19-2013, 03:22 AM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Just want to ask one question. Is this I dont want to be rude but my thoughts are fairy tale your spewing out taking into account alfie payment of 2 million going on next year books?

I figure if we are lucky we see nyquist for last month of year. In time for playoffs. I am resigned to this.

Even if we have capabilities of bringing him up finally he cant go down. What of injuries need a d guy for a couple games a goalie or a center? So odds next month ZERO to me.

I have been wrong in past.

Odds of trade deadline if the 2 million is there and alfie is paid in full? That makes a lot of sense to me cause can still move a couple players in and out if when needed without cutting waiving another player.

Until Ken gets off his butt and does something this is reality. Not trying to dampen anyone of you in regards to enthusiasm yet I just dont see how this works logically.

So the only question I have is about alfies 2 million is this projection with or without that included?

Old
11-19-2013, 06:48 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
The cap might go up by 10 million, the bonus isn't going to change anything.

Old
11-19-2013, 08:07 AM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

If he was going to get a shot they wouldn't have signed more forwards than the roster allows. If he comes up due to injury that doesn't erase the problem of incompetence in management. Next up wings trade their 2014 first rounder for work horse Ville Lieno. Nyquist heads back and finishes his career in Sweeden

Old
11-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Ottomatic

He should demand a trade. He'd be up in the NHL on any other 29 other teams in the NHL. It's ridiculous what the Wings are doing with him. They've lost the plot. Coach and GM both gotta go if they think this is the right handling of the player/situation and signing and playing all the finished vets.

Bring Yzerman home this off-season and promote Blashill to head coach of the Wings.

Old
11-19-2013, 10:47 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Yzerman is overrated and he isn't coming back.

Old
11-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
I'm prepared for a nyquist explosion

Old
11-19-2013, 11:05 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
He should demand a trade. He'd be up in the NHL on any other 29 other teams in the NHL. It's ridiculous what the Wings are doing with him. They've lost the plot. Coach and GM both gotta go if they think this is the right handling of the player/situation and signing and playing all the finished vets.

Bring Yzerman home this off-season and promote Blashill to head coach of the Wings.
He has no leverage to demand a trade.

Old
11-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Since the Wings have no interest in treating him fairly, or developing him properly, they should just make him the center piece in a trade to acquire a legit defenseman.

Playing him for 10-20% of a season benefits neither parties.

I bet his trade value his great. I'm sure any other team on the league would love to have him PLAYING on their team. They would probably even go out of their way to make room for him. Imagine that.

Old
11-19-2013, 11:18 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Since the Wings have no interest in treating him fairly, or developing him properly, they should just make him the center piece in a trade to acquire a legit defenseman.

Playing him for 10-20% of a season benefits neither parties.

I bet his trade value his great. I'm sure any other team on the league would love to have him PLAYING on their team. They would probably even go out of their way to make room for him. Imagine that.
A 24 year old winger who hasn't even played a full season?

I think what we would deserve for him is more than anyone would ask. What's the point if he can provide long-term benefit to the team here?

Old
11-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
He has no leverage to demand a trade.
He could always pull a Kyle Turris, if he really wanted to.

Old
11-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
A 24 year old winger who hasn't even played a full season?

I think what we would deserve from him is more than anyone would ask. What's the point if he can provide long-term benefit to the team here?
We don't need defenseman?

Trading a forward who's not going to play for months, for a defenseman that could suit up for you tomorrow seems like a good trade-off to me.

And honestly I'll be shocked if we don't lose him when he becomes a UFA anyway. I know that's speculation, but let's be realistic here. Unless you think this guys a robot, or had memory loss.

Old
11-19-2013, 11:28 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
We don't need defenseman?

Trading a forward who's not going to play for months, for a defenseman that could suit up for you tomorrow seems like a good trade-off to me.

And honestly I'll be shocked if we don't lose him when he becomes a UFA anyway. I know that's speculation, but let's be realistic here. Unless you think this guys a robot, or had memory loss.
You aren't going to get the kind of defenseman you need for Nyquist. Not unless you add in even more youth to the equation, then you have to worry about how much you are giving up and for whom.

Again, you can worry now about him becoming a UFA, but that's at least 3 years down the line. And he could just as easily tear it up, become a staple in the roster as a star, and never want to leave. I don't think it is realistic to ASSUME he is going to walk when he is a UFA when that won't happen for a few seasons and he has taken it with much less issue than Tatar did.

Old
11-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
he has taken it with much less issue than Tatar did.
If what I said is speculation, then this is absolutely speculation as well. Just because he hasn't made comments through the media, doesn't meant he's happy being a 24 year old playing in the AHL. Have a real hard time believing we have any indication that's true.

He may be more angry than Tatar, just choosing to keep it to himself.

My opinion is he will be following the lead of Filppula and Hudler in a few years. Guess well see. There's that whole foresight vs hindsight thing

Old
11-19-2013, 11:37 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
If what I said is speculation, then this is absolutely speculation as well. Just because he hasn't made comments through the media, doesn't meant he's happy being a 24 year old playing in the AHL. Have a real hard time believing we have any indication that's true.
I never said he is happy. And it should be a positive that he isn't so upset about the situation to mouth off to the media about being mistreated. I'll go by what I have heard and what I have seen in the past. Thus far we have no evidence of a player bouncing because of being mistreated in the minors and no evidence that Nyquist is in a sour mood from him not getting playing time on the Wings yet. I'm sure he wants to be up, but I'm not going to take it as him being a flight risk in 3+ years.

Old
11-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
I never said he is happy. And it should be a positive that he isn't so upset about the situation to mouth off to the media about being mistreated. I'll go by what I have heard and what I have seen in the past. Thus far we have no evidence of a player bouncing because of being mistreated in the minors and no evidence that Nyquist is in a sour mood from him not getting playing time on the Wings yet. I'm sure he wants to be up, but I'm not going to take it as him being a flight risk in 3+ years.
This far we haven't seen anyone bounce for being mistreated in the minors. But there's also no precedent for what we're doing to Nyquist either. Who have we developed similarly, that was as productive at the level they're stuck at for so long. Not filppula. Not hudler. It's never happened before.

Old
11-19-2013, 11:47 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
This far we haven't seen anyone bounce for being mistreated in the minors. But there's also no precedent for what we're doing to Nyquist either. Who have we developed similarly, that was as productive at the level they're stuck at for so long. Not filppula. Not hudler. It's never happened before.
Right, so thinking he is going to leave or stay is speculation. I don't know what is going to happen, but there is a lot of time between now and when he has the opportunity to split, so I don't plan on making a prediction about it with any attempt at accuracy. There is A LOT that can change a player's mind positively and negatively.

Old
11-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
While true and I HATE it, that's the system, that's the business. It sucks for Nyquist, it sucks for the Wings - but he has to live with it and be professional which he is doing.

Old
11-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Right, so thinking he is going to leave or stay is speculation. I don't know what is going to happen, but there is a lot of time between now and when he has the opportunity to split, so I don't plan on making a prediction about it with any attempt at accuracy. There is A LOT that can change a player's mind positively and negatively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
While true and I HATE it, that's the system, that's the business. It sucks for Nyquist, it sucks for the Wings - but he has to live with it and be professional which he is doing.
You guys are both right, and it will be something to monitor. I'll leave it alone now, I just wanted to touch on that briefly.

Old
11-19-2013, 11:52 AM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
I fear of this whole thing with frk and others that we keep losing assets like hudler, flip etc.. by how are treated in bringing them up. Also how they are treated by the head coach. I see nothing positive here.

I dont see a plan. That is my problem. This year is just tatar and nyquist next year is 6 more guys? Where is the plan?

Where are they getting time needed before run out of exemptions gaining the worth and time needed to be a player for this team?

This is why I am negative is not focused on one guy is focused on what this year is causing for next year whether we get nyquist up or not that is not good enough.

Ken has messed this up into a shambles and Mike's usage of Tatar is criminal to be kind.

We got issues none are getting resolved yep only 20 games in a fourth of the year but man where are these guys gonna get 10-15 games this year?

So yes I am down on the system I dont see much of a solution besides us losing people and it might not be tatar or nyquist but it will be guys that deserved a shot that if had gotten some time have some worth probably and we would be better off.

This to me is a travesty. I dont have all the answers but something should have been done. I have made one suggestion and know its a hard pill to swallow but if a guy is giving up over a third of your goals against on defense he shouldnt be on ice for 20 minutes a game and shouldnt be on team honestly.

I have accepted a lot and still have hopes but they grow dimmer and dimmer as Ken only makes the move he must make.

WHAT ABOUT THE FUTURE? That should be as concerning as the team we are fielding right now. I dont see the plan for the future. I am very concerned.

Closed Thread