HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 10 Reasons Coach Therrien Is Failing The Grade

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2013, 12:46 PM
Slashers98

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
No problem. The close readers will also notice a not-too-subtle defence of Subban in the comments made by Pacioretty.

Is it possible some players are starting to divert from the Therrien path?
Yes, that's what I think is happening. Therrien slowly is losing his dressing room.
Tonight's start by the Habs will be very telling about how the players feel regarding Therrien.

Take it for what it's worth but I was told that Bergevin's first choice was Marc Crawford, but that Serge Savard was against this choice and, as a result, they picked Therrien instead...

Old
11-19-2013, 12:48 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
He looked shy or uncomfortable not pissed. It had more to do with him not being used to all the media hoopla of Mtl.
Therrien was his guy there's no question about it. When we look at 24CH, you see them always together, I don't see how you can work so close to a guy you didn't pick.
I'm not so sure about it. I mean, of course he hired him, so it is his choice. But I had a feeling he hired him "by default" and wasn't overly excited about it. Why? Well Bergevin did something I never saw before: he didn't give his coach the green light to hire his assistants. It's Bergevin who hired all of Habs coaching staff. Usually, a GM lets his coach chose his own assistants.

As for Bergevin always being present with Therrien, well, I would be worried if I was Therrien. It is not a good sign when the GM's always on your toes.

Old
11-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
No problem. The close readers will also notice a not-too-subtle defence of Subban in the comments made by Pacioretty.

I read the article and saw Pacioretty on TV and he said we have to look at ourselves in the mirror and start playing more aggressively.

All this stuff about Pacioretty using hidden innuendos and being against Therrien is completely fabricated and theorized by interpretations of his comments, purely. Like I said, I saw the interview on TV last night and he said "we have to look at ourselves in the mirror". That's not blaming the coach, that's taking on responsibility and being a pro.

Plus listen to Therrien talk about Pacioretty, he likes his play. BUT he always will say he is effective when moving his legs and going to the middle and driving the net.

That's what he's not doing lately. We know it, the coaches know it and more importantly Pacioretty knows it too. You'll never have be believe that any NHL coach would tell a guy like Pacioretty to hold back.

This stuff about Therrien losing the room is pure fiction, driven by false interpretations of statements imo.

Old
11-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Runner77

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubercron9000 View Post
We are all blaming therrien but who is the fool that hired him? All looks no substance.

"When do I get a shot?"

So we have a Therrien bashing thread, and under the auspices of an off-site piece by a HF regular, we get to add a new one. What about Bergevin?

Bergevin inherited an empty cupboard, as Pee Air likes to acknowledge during his daily radio gig. However, there are a lot of failed personnel decisions in the year and a half of Bergevin's tenure, mismanagement of assets, commitment to soft or diminutive players on a team bursting with them, commitment to physical players who are past their prime, overestimating certain veteran players, failure to institute a higher standard of player procurement.

MT has his share of the blame -- his infatuation with Bouillon and DD is indefensible. His failure in not awarding premium minutes to his best players, is mind-boggling. How Subban is not playing 30 minutes and in all situations, how Bourque can continue to get top line minutes, how a Bournival plays 7 minutes, how the likes of DD plays more minutes than Galchenyuk and Eller.

Prophetic words from a National Post article upon Therrien's hiring:

Quote:
Compared to Pierre Gauthier, his sometimes lifelike predecessor, Bergevin has been a breath of communicative fresh air, keeping some cards tight to his vest yet willing to show others.

But in the dark of night Monday into Tuesday, Internet reports confirmed by team communiqué roughly nine hours later, Bergevin confounded many fans and infuriated plenty more with his hiring of Michel Therrien to a second tour of duty as Canadiens head coach.

All this iron-rich new blood in the front office, and then Bergevin gives the team what many critics are calling a stale infusion.
MT doesn't have a contending team but neither does he make the most of what he has at his disposal.

Bergevin has to take responsibility for his own poor decision-making, and should be looking to re-assess the roles and effectiveness of those who are advising him. His mantra about speaking with every GM, every two weeks and his 5-year plan, are all fine and dandy but since the Cole trade, he's been sliding as quickly as MT has been unraveling. This looks to be more than a 21-game anomaly.

Old
11-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireBergevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
Better to be a bunch of hyena than a bunch of sheeps. The fans deserve better and they express their thoughts. What's wrong with this?
Post of the year?

I think so! Devastating like an open ice hit!

Great piece OP, i don't agree with everything but overall you raise valid points.

To me MT biggest flaw are :

-Pro french agenda (Bouillon,DD - the GM is responsible for this too)

-Terrible bench management ( send 4th line late in 3rd in tied game, DD or 4th line to take an offensive faceoff. Using timeout in the 2nd period... and not fighting match-ups. )

Old
11-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Ubercron9000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post

"When do I get a shot?"

So we have a Therrien bashing thread, and under the auspices of an off-site piece by a HF regular, we get to add a new one. What about Bergevin?

Bergevin inherited an empty cupboard, as Pee Air likes to acknowledge during his daily radio gig. However, there are a lot of failed personnel decisions in the year and a half of Bergevin's tenure, mismanagement of assets, commitment to soft or diminutive players on a team bursting with them, commitment to physical players who are past their prime, overestimating certain veteran players, failure to institute a higher standard of player procurement.

MT has his share of the blame -- his infatuation with Bouillon and DD is indefensible. His failure in not awarding premium minutes to his best players, is mind-boggling. How Subban is not playing 30 minutes and in all situations, how Bourque can continue to get top line minutes, how a Bournival plays 7 minutes, how the likes of DD plays more minutes than Galchenyuk and Eller.

Prophetic words from a National Post article upon Therrien's hiring:

MT doesn't have a contending team but neither does he make the most of what he has at his disposal.

Bergevin has to take responsibility for his own poor decision-making, and should be looking to re-assess the roles and effectiveness of those who are advising him. His mantra about speaking with every GM, every two weeks and his 5-year plan, are all fine and dandy but since the Cole trade, he's been sliding as quickly as MT has been unraveling. This looks to be more than a 21-game anomaly.
he should spend more time assessing his players rather than making those commercials.

Old
11-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Runner77

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubercron9000 View Post
he should spend more time assessing his players rather than making those commercials.
Marc Bergevin presents ... a new line of perfume for Hab fans. Stale Infusion.

Bergevin's lustre is coming off quick -- people only putting this on Therrien are tacking wacks at the wrong pinata.

Old
11-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I read the article and saw Pacioretty on TV and he said we have to look at ourselves in the mirror and start playing more aggressively.

All this stuff about Pacioretty using hidden innuendos and being against Therrien is completely fabricated and theorized by interpretations of his comments, purely. Like I said, I saw the interview on TV last night and he said "we have to look at ourselves in the mirror". That's not blaming the coach, that's taking on responsibility and being a pro.

Plus listen to Therrien talk about Pacioretty, he likes his play. BUT he always will say he is effective when moving his legs and going to the middle and driving the net.

That's what he's not doing lately. We know it, the coaches know it and more importantly Pacioretty knows it too. You'll never have be believe that any NHL coach would tell a guy like Pacioretty to hold back.

This stuff about Therrien losing the room is pure fiction, driven by false interpretations of statements imo.
Perhaps. And I'm the last to be a conspiracy theorist. But when a player is directly quoted as saying a team puts too much emphasis on shot-blocking and D, that's a fairly direct criticism of the coaching.

And when he uses the example of an offensive defenceman being allowed to play his game which translates into good D when the team has a very well-known offensive defenceman whose game is being criticized by his coach, that's another fairly direct shot if you ask me.

Again, not trying to stir trouble here. I just found the comments fairly overt.

Old
11-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Perhaps. And I'm the last to be a conspiracy theorist. But when a player is directly quoted as saying a team puts too much emphasis on shot-blocking and D, that's a fairly direct criticism of the coaching.

And when he uses the example of an offensive defenceman being allowed to play his game which translates into good D when the team has a very well-known offensive defenceman whose game is being criticized by his coach, that's another fairly direct shot if you ask me.

Again, not trying to stir trouble here. I just found the comments fairly overt.
That's true. He did actually name another NHL coach too. I'm not saying he is completely happy with everything either. Like in a lot of things in life, the answer is likely somewhere in the middle. Right now the team isn't scoring, and everyone has their ideas of how to fix it. There's probably a bit of truth in saying he's frustrated with some of the coaching staff's ideologies, but in the end people have to realize that the coach and players are in it together and both want the same thing, results. This dichotomy and resentment between the coach and players that you keep hearing about is in my opinion way, way overblown and it's not the first time media likes a good controversy. People interpret things, and project way too much I guess is what I'm trying to say.

Old
11-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

I can only hope so. This guy should have never been hired in the first place.

Old
11-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
That's true. He did actually name another NHL coach too. I'm not saying he is completely happy with everything either. Like in a lot of things in life, the answer is likely somewhere in the middle. Right now the team isn't scoring, and everyone has their ideas of how to fix it. There's probably a bit of truth in saying he's frustrated with some of the coaching staff's ideologies, but in the end people have to realize that the coach and players are in it together and both want the same thing, results. This dichotomy and resentment between the coach and players that you keep hearing about is in my opinion way, way overblown and it's not the first time media likes a good controversy. People interpret things, and project way too much I guess is what I'm trying to say.
Agreed. I'd never go so far as to say he's lost the room. But clearly some frustrations are showing around the seams.

I believe good defensive teams get coaches praised while good offensive teams get players praised. That's why coaches insist on the former.

But I contend that if you roll your best players and let them attack and play their game, that's the hardest thing for an opponent to deal with.

Old
11-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
Two blatant shots at Therrien imo.

All Therrien ever talks about is his teams solid defensive play and their play in their own zone.

Therrien also called out his star offensive D-man on a couple occasions for defensive mistakes.

Not a good sign for Therrien when one of his leaders is contradicting him in public.
I like this. Real leadership. Therrien is not a leader. He's a huge follower.

Old
11-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 50
Quote:
It sounds like Therrien is slowly losing his dressing room as a result of poor decisions this season… how much time until he loses his job as well?
This is the only part I don't agree with. It's definitely not happening slowly.

Old
11-19-2013, 01:53 PM
Avengers*

Fire this clown and get Guy Boucher while he is available.

Old
11-19-2013, 01:57 PM
habsrock76

Bring on Guy Boucher, at least as an interim.

I can recall reading somewhere (not recent mind you) PK said he was the best coach he's ever had...not to mention DD dominated the AHL (78 points in 60 games) with Boucher as coach.

Old
11-19-2013, 02:25 PM
SnapVirus

Boucher's philosophy : work with the force of each player.

Old
11-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Lord Chezz

Players fear and respect Boucher's mysterious scar.

Bring him in.

Old
11-19-2013, 02:54 PM
carl199

the thing that i dont like with therrien is the fact that he says something today and do the complete opposite the other day:

1- he say he will not comment about subban place on team canada and later he say that price should be there (subban need that support more than price because of their situation)

2- he say that he will reward player that plays well, and bournival who have been one of the best is now in the fourth line, also briere who has 2 pt in 2 game since his injury is there too.

3- NO EXCUSE was the ''slogan'' last year and after the game against new york saturday he respond to a question from a journalist that its hard to score in the nhl nowdays, really?!

4- i really think theres something going on with bouillon become he seems to be in his grace despite that bouillon is -10, i know tinordi wasnt playing the way that he was playing in the preseason but can he do worst than bouillon or murray right now, i will rather leave with his mistake than a guy that is supposed to be ''mature'' in his game and let's not talk about the powerplay -_-

5- my good friend deharnais who become a hero after the shoutoout against colombus, its not that he have play a bad game against new york, but the way that rds and the media was hyping the thing like he is back, i wasnt impressed by his perfomance. its seems like the team is ''him'' like when he is not going well, we got to do every thing to make him works, even for the bad of the team. i mean if we keep changing line like that there will be no chemistry and this team.

Old
11-19-2013, 02:55 PM
shutehinside

Sounds like MT is fracturing the room. On one side DD and Bou and the other PK, Patches etc. hmmm wonder who's side Bergy will take...?

Old
11-19-2013, 03:07 PM
lostriver
clear the foxhole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Sounds like MT is fracturing the room. On one side DD and Bou and the other PK, Patches etc. hmmm wonder who's side Bergy will take...?
no brainer. got to go with local boys or RDS and public will be upset.

Old
11-19-2013, 03:09 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
In fairness, I think Patches and DD are buddies and Max always comes to DD's defence publicly. So I'm not sure where the fracture lines are, but I'm sure some exist.

Earn your C Gio.... go chat with MT.

Old
11-19-2013, 03:18 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
In fairness, I think Patches and DD are buddies and Max always comes to DD's defence publicly. So I'm not sure where the fracture lines are, but I'm sure some exist.

Earn your C Gio.... go chat with MT.
I don't think Patches is sore with his best bro in DD. It's MTs treatment of some players that I'm sure is having a fracturing effect on the room.

Old
11-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 1093
PK Subban, David Desharnais and Francis Bouillon - three nooses for the coach. Which one will he hang himself on?

Old
11-19-2013, 03:54 PM
domdo345

Boucher preaches a 1-3-1 pressure system in which we clearly do not have the players to play physical in the neutral zone. Why switch from a passive coach to another passive coach (In term of system)? I find it funny when they say they are a puck pressure team that will leave no time to the opponent in 24ch. They were last year, they are not this year. No team in your face, constant pressure and overload on the puck will give 30+ shots per game. They are slowly going from an agressor to defending most of the game. Maybe Therien lacks confidence in his group (which is stupid when you look at the way they were playing to start the year) or maybe the group can't follow the god damn game plan. We do not know how much you need to blame the players or the coach, because we do not have access to this info.

But ****, does this team is ever far from overloading the puck like it used to. Plus, I'd like the Ds to be more agressive to keep the pressure in the offensive zone (pinching down the boards or going backdoor in 5vs5). I know you guys hate them, but please take a look at how Boston stays entire shifts in the offensive zone because of their defencemen. With a disciplined forwards group (3rd man high covering the D pinching) you'll only give a couple odd man rushes that Price can handle. Every good teams uses their Ds, while here you have Markov doing it and Subban stopped because he's clearly scared to creat an odd man rush. Frustrating to say the least.

Old
11-19-2013, 04:08 PM
GordonGraham

Pretty big words for a guy with 2 goals and who's afraid of his own shadow infront of the net

Closed Thread