HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Thoughts On Coach Q?

Old
12-18-2006, 09:04 PM
P0ckets
BB Pisses Genius

vCash: 500
Thoughts On Coach Q?

Just out of curiousity....what are everyone's opinions about Q? What does he lack as a coach and what are his strengths? Would you fire him if a better coach became available? etc. etc.

P0ckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 09:15 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
I'll reserve judgement till after the season

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 09:58 PM
rozier24

vCash: 545
Send a message via MSN to rozier24
Quote:
Originally Posted by silence View Post
Just out of curiousity....what are everyone's opinions about Q? What does he lack as a coach and what are his strengths? Would you fire him if a better coach became available? etc. etc.
He took a team that should not have been in the playoffs to the second round last year. He is in the process of taking a team the the playoffs this year. He manages the team in a manner that consistently gives them a chance to win night in and night out depending on the team effort.

He does have his faults. He is the best coach in the league at causing goaltender controversy out of good play.

All in all I think he is a good coach, and while not the best in the league definitely in the upper few. We will see how the rest of the year goes.

rozier24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

He plays to the strength of the players on the ice, that's for sure. He knows what works for certain lines and what doesn't.

He gives the D-men free reign to do what their skills are capable of, although for a former defensemen, I feel he doesn't teach enough about positioning.

Don't get me started on the goaltending issue. From our prospectives, it seems horrible--although I don't know if that's something that the goalies agree on or not.

All in all, not a horrible coach, and his record shows it. But not an amazing coach, and his record shows it.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 02:12 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by silence View Post
I think Q has evolved...not sure if that is the right word or not. I remember his St. Louis teams playing with more piss and vinegar than our current AVs team is capable of. That's kind of a let down for me because I was hoping he was brought in to help out in that department. Someone else mentioned that he coaches to the strengths of lines...that makes sense now that I think about it. We might not be playing tough because it's not in the players' sack of tools to go out and play a physical game. He could be looking to find ways to win without necessarily having to teach the team an entirely new method.

As others have said, no one thought we should have made the playoffs last year much less advance to the second round. I still believe the team is better this year than last year with the addition of Stastny and Wolski. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the season shakes out.

Q is middle of the road in my opinion, not great, not bad but good. He has struggled to get the team to play 60minutes all out every night. Granted Marc, Bob and Tony had the same issues.

I would like to see a more laid-out plan in terms of how he handles his goalies. I stilll can't believe Theo's not playing tonight. Also, he needs to do something with the d-men. I can't believe the amount of time given to Brisebois and the lack of time given to Sauer over the last two years in general. It could be that no other team wants to touch either of them in a trade but wouldn't he be doing a service to the future of the team by getting Boychuck or Finger up here for a few games...especially considering the injuries Leo's been suffering. He's using Klee a lot like he did Boughner last year except I don't think the team can afford to lose Klee from the d-unit for long. I really like him as a winger, but I think we need him more as a d-man.

Overall...a high B- to a mid B.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 06:05 PM
the mandrew

overall i would have to say i am not a fan. if a better coach were available i would be in favor of making a coach change.

the mandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 05:45 AM
Bam Beet*

Terrible coach. I can see both Theodore and Budaj silently or publicly asking for a trade at the end of the year, or sooner if he doesn't straighten out.

Last edited by Bam Beet*: 12-26-2006 at 09:06 PM.
Bam Beet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 06:31 AM
Colorado Avalanche

I like Quenneville, even though he isn't handling the goaltenders in the best way.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Idaho_Potato

Quennenville confuses me. While this team has very good nights at times, other times we look downright horrible and I think, as a coach, he should address more to the team, rather than just changing the goalie and hoping for the best. This team has so much potential in my eyes, yet, it seems as if Q does nothing to improve the teams' overall level of play. One thing I do like about Q, though, is that when a player gets injured, he has a certain way of helping the replacement player making a smooth transition into that nights lineup. I just think he needs a change of scenery from Colorado.

overall grade, C+ - B-

Idaho_Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Avsboy

He is a mediocre coach. He squeezes all he can out of every player, but never seems to give them sound plays or motivate them to keep a lead. He coudln't identify some of the av problems early on. And, most importantly, he's gonna kill the goalies' confidence, and because of that, will never reach past the second round of the playoffs.

Avsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 12:02 PM
12# Peter Bondra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy12345 View Post
He is a mediocre coach. He squeezes all he can out of every player, but never seems to give them sound plays or motivate them to keep a lead. He coudln't identify some of the av problems early on. And, most importantly, he's gonna kill the goalies' confidence, and because of that, will never reach past the second round of the playoffs.
You mean he will never reach the 2nd round of the playoffs with the Avs?

12# Peter Bondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Bam Beet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom Line View Post
Terrible coach. I can see both Theodore and Budaj silently or publicly asking for a trade at the end of the year, or sooner if he straighten out.
He is definately not a terrible coach. Maybe in terms of handling the goalies but he does get the most out of every skater on the ice. Also why would Budaj ask for a trade? He's 24 and he is a backup playing more than regular backups do if anything he should be happy because he gets to play way more as a backup then mostly any other in the league. As for Theo what leverage does he have in demanding a trade? He hasn't played good enough for that.

Old
12-26-2006, 09:10 PM
Bam Beet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic's-A-Legend View Post
He is definately not a terrible coach. Maybe in terms of handling the goalies but he does get the most out of every skater on the ice. Also why would Budaj ask for a trade? He's 24 and he is a backup playing more than regular backups do if anything he should be happy because he gets to play way more as a backup then mostly any other in the league. As for Theo what leverage does he have in demanding a trade? He hasn't played good enough for that.
Yes, he gets the most out of players like Marek Svatos by playing him less minutes than he deserves, and Wolski definately plays with the same work ethic every night . As for Theo demanding a trade, do you think he'd be the first underachiever that wanted out because of bad coaching? Just because he's not playing well doesnt mean he wont be p#@$ed at the coach by years end......or sooner.