HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shots.

Old
12-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Masao

vCash: 500
Shots.

Dunno if it's a cause for concern, but after 35 games in 2005-06 the Canadiens were averaging 31.31 shots for and 29.37 shots against per game.
This year, it's 30.09 shots for and 34.03 shots against, so there's a deterioration since that year in that department.
In 2005-06, the Canadiens outshot their opponents in 20 of their first 35 games, 57.14%. This season, it's only 11 of 35, or 31.43%.

I guess this shows just how great Huet has been playing. But I believe it also shows that a bad stretch from him or an injury, and the team could be in trouble.

Your views?

Masao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 09:41 PM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
I think that's more indicative of the style we play this year, as oposed to last.

I don't know. Shots is such a subjective statistic.

For example. Just because we are giving up more shots this year, doesn't necessarily mean we are giving up more legitimate scoring opportunites. Which, in fact, is what my opinion is.

Teams can shoot all day long from the outside of high-traffic areas , and barring any real sustained traffic, Huet and Aebischer can save these easily...

just my opinion.

TwineSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 10:17 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
For example. Just because we are giving up more shots this year, doesn't necessarily mean we are giving up more legitimate scoring opportunites. Which, in fact, is what my opinion is.
Agreed...just looking at the stats doesn't tell the whole story (although I'm with you on the sentiment that we'd be in quite a different position if Huet were to get injured *knock on wood*).

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 10:37 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Yeah an example of this would be the Habs Sabres game where I believe the Sabres had 3 shots from 75+ FEET AND ANOTHER 4 OR 5 AT 50 +

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Masao

I know what you guys mean, but don't the Habs take as many dead angle shots as their opponents? I mean, it's not like if every time the Habs shoot it's a scoring chance.

Old
12-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I'd really like to see scoring chances because I think that would be alot closer.

But you're point is well taken. Huet hasn't been outdualed by his opponent many times this season.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 11:38 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Masao View Post
I know what you guys mean, but don't the Habs take as many dead angle shots as their opponents? I mean, it's not like if every time the Habs shoot it's a scoring chance.
It has more to do with the system they play. I've said this before and I'll say it again. The Habs system allows for perimeter shots, but takes away the middle, high percentage scoring areas. Carbonneau will give the opposing teams shots from those low percentage areas since he knows he has the goaltending to negate them. Think of it as penalty killing and boxing out the middle area only they're doing it evenstrength. Also notice we are able to clear rebounds and not allow those second opportunities very often.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 09:49 PM
Masao

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
It has more to do with the system they play. I've said this before and I'll say it again. The Habs system allows for perimeter shots, but takes away the middle, high percentage scoring areas. Carbonneau will give the opposing teams shots from those low percentage areas since he knows he has the goaltending to negate them. Think of it as penalty killing and boxing out the middle area only they're doing it evenstrength. Also notice we are able to clear rebounds and not allow those second opportunities very often.
... After tonight's game, I'd say more than the "system they play" it has to do with their "skill" and "passion."

Old
12-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Mike8

Quote:
... After tonight's game, I'd say more than the "system they play" it has to do with their "skill" and "passion."
Brilliant.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Habs4ever

rankek 29th for shots allowed per game, what gives?

Looking at standings there is big turn around for hamilton bulldogs as well as habs compared to last year, and right now both have one thing in common and thats premier goaltending.

I remember one season we made playoff just on the back of Theo's goaltending and I'm just feeling that its being repeated this year, although on the back of very competent roster.

Right now Montreal is givingup 34 shots per game, I know people always like to bring back the easy long shots argument, but why does it always happen in Montreal?

I also know that fans are very optimistic about our team, but even in completely different screnario compared to five years ago, we still rely on our goaltending to get the job done...

I really hope we rivatalize our defence next year, and even though souray and Markov are our top defencemen I'm still open to other options, I just want to bring down shots allowed total, Our offence is really good but we really need to upgrade on our defence..

Habs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Mike8

I don't think this matters. I don't see the opposition outplaying Montreal, or getting more scoring opportunities. Montreal doesn't shoot enough, and I find the defense isn't proactive when it comes to blocking shots, but that's the only real difference.

If you look at the game versus Tampa, where TB did outplay Montreal, even when Montreal was controlling the puck well in the offensive zone, the Lightning were blocking a lot of shots. Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes not (injuries, deflections).

But if we look around the league: Buffalo gets outshot on average; Nashville gets outshot on average (roughly by the same amount Montreal is); Atlanta, NJ, Calgary and Edmonton are outshot.

On the flip-side, Toronto, LA, Florida, TB outshoot their oppositions--mostly by wide-margins.

So some of the best teams in the league get outshot just as Montreal does, while some of the worst teams in the league outshoot their opposition.

Yet we feel this is something to be concerned about in Montreal. Hmm.

A more telling statistic would be to see whether Montreal allows more scoring chances against.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 11:05 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Sure, wait for their worst game of the season and use it as ammo to disprove my theory. As a whole, this season, I stick by my original comment.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 12:34 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
shots for and against per game is the most meaningless stat when you're winning. So we take shots to score, and the other team bombards Huet with crap shots, really who cares

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 12:39 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Sure, wait for their worst game of the season and use it as ammo to disprove my theory. As a whole, this season, I stick by my original comment.
Didn't you know that you can base your predictions on when the habs play their best/worst games of the season. I heard this was an effective way too look very smart.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Habitants

simple, that habs need to score more goals, and to score more goals, u need to shoot, hence we need to take more shots!

i for one feel that way, this team does not shoot enough. one game every player has 2+ shots, souray has 4+ kovalev has like 5 (u can tell when he shows up by the shot counts) then in another game we have 20 shots or 13 shots!?

im not saying fling the puck every second, but just try to get it to the net more often

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Darz

Alot comes down to scoring chances, and who controls the flow of the game, and more often than not, the habs come up on the good side of both those scenarios. Along way away from 5-7 years ago, when that seemed to NEVER be the case.