HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Bobby Clarke -- 1972

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-25-2006, 05:28 PM
  #1
Souray44
Registered User
 
Souray44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NB, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Bobby Clarke -- 1972

Does anyone have a clip of Bobby Clarke breaking the Russian star players ankle back in the 1972 series? My dad used to always talk about it and I want to see it for myself.

Thanks.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 05:21 AM
  #2
Rather Gingerly 1*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souray44 View Post
Does anyone have a clip of Bobby Clarke breaking the Russian star players ankle back in the 1972 series? My dad used to always talk about it and I want to see it for myself.

Thanks.

It is in the DVD. I think game 5 or game 6. Can't remember now.

Today, that is very converstial subject. But at the time everybody in Canada loved it. Shows how important that series was at that time.

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 08:46 AM
  #3
Archijerej
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,049
vCash: 500
There's also one moment when Maltsev goes past Clarke, is thrown to the ice and when he gets up Clarke slams him in the head with his stick (gaame in Canada). There were also some vicious plays from Guy Lapointe that I remembered.

Archijerej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 08:58 AM
  #4
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
The Clarke slash was designed to injure, you can see that on the play for certain. I haven't seen it in many years but I remember it well. Kharlamov was killing us.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 02:03 PM
  #5
Snap Wilson
Registered User
 
Snap Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archijerej View Post
There's also one moment when Maltsev goes past Clarke, is thrown to the ice and when he gets up Clarke slams him in the head with his stick (gaame in Canada).
Game One.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 03:18 PM
  #6
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 26,620
vCash: 500
Yes, it's on the DVD of the series, which is worthy of purchase for any hockey fan with an scintilla of interest in the history of the sport.

Incident occured in Russia, toward the back end of the series.

If I recall, the icing on the cake is that once the play stops, Clarke meets up either with Kharlamov or another Russian player behind the net, gets right into his face...and cracks that infamous toothless grin.

If that occured today, the weak-kneed contingent on HF would be freaking out about it for months.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 02:41 AM
  #7
Marcus-74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Need to go through this all over again?

The Russians really shouldn´t get too high and mighty as the Soviet team did similar things on the ice. I "remember" Vladimir Martinec being brutally taken out (by defenseman Tsygankov) in the key Czechoslovakia game in the ´74 World Championships; and that really wasn´t the only time...

Marcus-74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 03:59 AM
  #8
Form and Substance
Registered User
 
Form and Substance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Yes, it's on the DVD of the series, which is worthy of purchase for any hockey fan with an scintilla of interest in the history of the sport.

Incident occured in Russia, toward the back end of the series.

If I recall, the icing on the cake is that once the play stops, Clarke meets up either with Kharlamov or another Russian player behind the net, gets right into his face...and cracks that infamous toothless grin.

If that occured today, the weak-kneed contingent on HF would be freaking out about it for months.
Probably, doesn't disregard the fact that it's a pretty ***** thing to do.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 05:30 PM
  #9
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 26,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
Probably, doesn't disregard the fact that it's a pretty ***** thing to do.
It was, indeed, a rotten thing to do.

But no one has ever said this sport, like life itself, is fair.

A basic point lost on many of the newbies around these parts.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 06:56 PM
  #10
Wetcoaster
Registered User
 
Wetcoaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 53,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
Probably, doesn't disregard the fact that it's a pretty ***** thing to do.
Years later, John Ferguson, Sr., an assistant coach with Team Canada, was quoted as saying "I called Clarke over to the bench, looked over at Kharlamov and said, 'I think he needs a tap on the ankle.' I didn't think twice about it. It was Us versus Them. And Kharlamov was killing us. I mean, somebody had to do it."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valery_Kharlamov

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 07:00 PM
  #11
canucksfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 22,346
vCash: 990
One of the reasons why Clarke is one of my favorite players.

canucksfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 07:03 PM
  #12
pappyline
Registered User
 
pappyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mass/formerly Ont
Country: United States
Posts: 4,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Years later, John Ferguson, Sr., an assistant coach with Team Canada, was quoted as saying "I called Clarke over to the bench, looked over at Kharlamov and said, 'I think he needs a tap on the ankle.' I didn't think twice about it. It was Us versus Them. And Kharlamov was killing us. I mean, somebody had to do it."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valery_Kharlamov
And Fergy would do it. He was an nasty guy. A Clarke type when he played without the ability.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 07:11 PM
  #13
espo*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,455
vCash: 500
Sometimes i think about the Clarke play and then the Piestany punch-up always comes back in my mind..........especially that part where you have two Russian players on one Canadian and one of them has the Canadian players hands pinned behind his back while the other Russian player proceeds to knee him right in the face.

And then i sleep well at night and never give a second thought to what Clarke did to Kharlamov.It makes me not care less what Clarkie did,and i don't apoligise for that.

Why should i when i know what i know?

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 08:36 PM
  #14
revolverjgw
Registered User
 
revolverjgw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,995
vCash: 500
Clarke 4 life, if I was an omnipotent GM I'd load my team full of Bobby Clarkes and Dale Hunters and Claude Lemieuxs and Ulf Samuelssons.

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 10:34 PM
  #15
Form and Substance
Registered User
 
Form and Substance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Sometimes i think about the Clarke play and then the Piestany punch-up always comes back in my mind..........especially that part where you have two Russian players on one Canadian and one of them has the Canadian players hands pinned behind his back while the other Russian player proceeds to knee him right in the face.

And then i sleep well at night and never give a second thought to what Clarke did to Kharlamov.It makes me not care less what Clarkie did,and i don't apoligise for that.

Why should i when i know what i know?
Good point. I wasn't shaking my head in disgust or anything at Clarke's actions, it's just that I recognize it wasn't the most honest route to victory. If anything, that Summit series was a humbling experience for the Canucks, who went through 1999 Kosovo to win it.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 11:32 PM
  #16
YMB29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Sometimes i think about the Clarke play and then the Piestany punch-up always comes back in my mind..........especially that part where you have two Russian players on one Canadian and one of them has the Canadian players hands pinned behind his back while the other Russian player proceeds to knee him right in the face.

And then i sleep well at night and never give a second thought to what Clarke did to Kharlamov.It makes me not care less what Clarkie did,and i don't apoligise for that.
I am sure Clarke knew what those dirty Soviets would do 15 years later and wanted to pay them back in advance. I am glad you picked a very relevant event and not a less relevant one like the Kasparaitis hit on Gagne last year.

By the way, the Soviet 2 on 1 is negated by the Canadian 2 on 1 going on at the same time (watch from 1:08 at the far left where the Canadian goalie and another player are on one Soviet player)

YMB29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 06:16 AM
  #17
Rather Gingerly 1*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Years later, John Ferguson, Sr., an assistant coach with Team Canada, was quoted as saying "I called Clarke over to the bench, looked over at Kharlamov and said, 'I think he needs a tap on the ankle.' I didn't think twice about it. It was Us versus Them. And Kharlamov was killing us. I mean, somebody had to do it."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valery_Kharlamov
Ah..those sandpaper guys.

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 07:22 AM
  #18
espo*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YMB29 View Post
I am sure Clarke knew what those dirty Soviets would do 15 years later and wanted to pay them back in advance. I am glad you picked a very relevant event and not a less relevant one like the Kasparaitis hit on Gagne last year.

By the way, the Soviet 2 on 1 is negated by the Canadian 2 on 1 going on at the same time (watch from 1:08 at the far left where the Canadian goalie and another player are on one Soviet player)
who started that fight anyway

Changes nothing for me.I saw what i saw,thus i never particularly give a damn what Clarke did to kharlamov.

They pinned the guys arms back and then another guy kneed him in the face.................real nice,are you proud?

Not sure what kasparitis has to with all of this other then the fact if it was clarke doing the same thing on kharlamov you would still be moaning about that too.

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 11:10 AM
  #19
Muscle Bob
Registered User
 
Muscle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,287
vCash: 500
It is rather interesting will canadiens ever get that it was their team who has provoked all that moments ? Russians came to play hockey. They played hockey better. Why the hell they should start killing canadiens ?
Those, who are proud for Clark for that moment are just idiots. IT IS A HOCKEY GAME. You could crush Kharlamov with a big hit and that would be hockey. But when you are doing such things like Clark has done it is not hockey anymore. It is an only chance for loosers to cope with great Masters.

Muscle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 11:22 AM
  #20
espo*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Bob View Post
It is rather interesting will canadiens ever get that it was their team who has provoked all that moments ? Russians came to play hockey. They played hockey better. Why the hell they should start killing canadiens ?
Those, who are proud for Clark for that moment are just idiots. IT IS A HOCKEY GAME. You could crush Kharlamov with a big hit and that would be hockey. But when you are doing such things like Clark has done it is not hockey anymore. It is an only chance for loosers to cope with great Masters.
Ah yes....you little angels.

When will you guys ever realise your teams and players can be just as nasty little SOB's as anyone else is and capable of pulling some of the most underhanded crap in the game.

Russians came to play hockey and played better?.......they were losing by 2-3 goals when they decided to turn the game into a brawl.

your players and fans make it real easy for me to forget about Bobby Clarke.Like right now

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 11:23 AM
  #21
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Bob View Post
It is rather interesting will canadiens ever get that it was their team who has provoked all that moments ? Russians came to play hockey. They played hockey better. Why the hell they should start killing canadiens ?
Those, who are proud for Clark for that moment are just idiots. IT IS A HOCKEY GAME. You could crush Kharlamov with a big hit and that would be hockey. But when you are doing such things like Clark has done it is not hockey anymore. It is an only chance for loosers to cope with great Masters.
I'm not going to agree that the Russians played completely within the rules (there was a few things over the series). Clarke slashed Kharlamov. It was a vicious slash designed to injure. These statements are true.

No one doubted why it was done and no one doubted Kharlamov was the target. There's no sense lying about it now. That's how it was.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 12:04 PM
  #22
Muscle Bob
Registered User
 
Muscle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Ah yes....you little angels.

When will you guys ever realise your teams and players can be just as nasty little SOB's as anyone else is and capable of pulling some of the most underhanded crap in the game.

Russians came to play hockey and played better?.......they were losing by 2-3 goals when they decided to turn the game into a brawl.

your players and fans make it real easy for me to forget about Bobby Clarke.Like right now
Read my post once again - I don't say that only Canadiens played dirty, I say that they have provoked dirty play. I don't think that there are many people that will not respond when opponent beat you with a stick behind referee's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide
I'm not going to agree that the Russians played completely within the rules (there was a few things over the series). Clarke slashed Kharlamov. It was a vicious slash designed to injure. These statements are true.

No one doubted why it was done and no one doubted Kharlamov was the target. There's no sense lying about it now. That's how it was.



Still, I can't understand people like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan
One of the reasons why Clarke is one of my favorite players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverjgw
Clarke 4 life, if I was an omnipotent GM I'd load my team full of Bobby Clarkes and Dale Hunters and Claude Lemieuxs and Ulf Samuelssons.

Muscle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 12:21 PM
  #23
YMB29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 420
vCash: 500
Quote:
who started that fight anyway
Who starts fights in Canada vs. a European team games?


Quote:
Changes nothing for me.I saw what i saw,thus i never particularly give a damn what Clarke did to kharlamov.
Since you don't seem to get my point, I will ask directly. How does the fight in 87 have anything to do with the series of 72?


Quote:
They pinned the guys arms back and then another guy kneed him in the face.................real nice,are you proud?
Did you look at the 2 on 1 fight near them?

YMB29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 12:32 PM
  #24
espo*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YMB29 View Post
Who starts fights in Canada vs. a European team games?



Since you don't seem to get my point, I will ask directly. How does the fight in 87 have anything to do with the series of 72?



Did you look at the 2 on 1 fight near them?
Who starts the fights? sometimes us and sometimes you guys....like that day in 87.

How does the fight in 87 relate to 72? i already told you.Any team that will do that is a team i won't worry about what our player does to theirs.......get it?

as for the video i have'nt watched it because i can't see it on this computer.Still would'nt change anything for me.You ganged up on one guy and pinned his arms back and then your other player knees him in the face........all in a fight that your sore loser of a team started a brawl in.I don't care what Clarke did for those reasons.Do you understand now?

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 02:53 PM
  #25
Zine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Who starts the fights? sometimes us and sometimes you guys....like that day in 87.

How does the fight in 87 relate to 72? i already told you.Any team that will do that is a team i won't worry about what our player does to theirs.......get it?

as for the video i have'nt watched it because i can't see it on this computer.Still would'nt change anything for me.You ganged up on one guy and pinned his arms back and then your other player knees him in the face........all in a fight that your sore loser of a team started a brawl in.I don't care what Clarke did for those reasons.Do you understand now?
You know how ridiculous you sound? It's about as obsurd as some Russian defending a hypothetical attack against Crosby because of what happened in 1972.

Both teams were dirty as heck, but it absolutely blows my mind that Canada (as a nation) cherishes such an event where such a blatant act of cheating took place. There's nothing worse than a premeditated attack against a key member of the opposition - especially one ordered from the coaching staff.

Had the U.S. done something like that in Basketball (even during the cold war), I can honestly say we'd view the victory as tainted. Not that we'd have to resort to cheating with our best players to win.....but you get the picture.


Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.