HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2013, 09:53 PM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

vCash: 500
Today I played my second game of the season. Finished -1 with 1 A and 1 block in a 10-5 loss. Was horrific defensively, reacting way too slowly. Looking to read the play better next time.

Old
11-17-2013, 01:03 AM
tawheed

Last night some hack took a swing at the puck and hit me right in the toe, toe = fractured.. ugh..

Old
11-18-2013, 04:44 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Had to yell at one of my dman but also the team in general about ****ing winding up for shots while Im in front of the net.

It ***** me to tears when someone on the point is more concerned about blasting a shot instead of just getting the puck on the net while Im in front.

1) the blast takes time and by the time the guys get it off their shooting lanes are choked so less chance it gets on net.
2) they end up giving up the puck at the blue line which means they get turnstiled and the other team gets an odd man rush or breakaway.

Too many guys playing the point dont understand this.

Old
11-18-2013, 08:00 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Sounds stupid but I don't think when I was younger I really noticed a different in sticks/curves.

I defeitnly do now.

The one stick I have the puck just flys off it and I can go bar down 33% of the time or so (when I am trying to do that shooting on open net)... with other stick I have it seems like 1/10 I can get that rapid elevation from a shot.

Seems weird it would affect performance like that... the one I seem to shoot well is a Sheerwood Bobby Ryan curve, the other I seem to struggle or not as good shot is Stamkos curve, Reebok.

Thinking next stick will be Bobby Ryan curve too... just seems to fly off the blade comapred to other.

Old
11-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Ozz

am using my new TotalOne stick! Been waiting to get one to try for a while now. My APX and APX2 are great, but I have a friend who has used all 3 and prefers the TO. I'm excited and hope it feels as good as he says.

Old
11-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Finally had a breakout game last night.

First shift, my winger shoots the puck wide, bounces off the back boards and out to me, I just fire into traffic and it finds the back of the net.

Second period on the PP, my center loses the draw but other team didn't win clean, center makes a great second effort to get to the puck and knock it back to me, I shoot and it goes off the pad and in.

I got good shooting lanes all night long but kept hitting shins and sticks. Our goalie was giving me crap after the game of course.

Then, four minutes left in the game, we get a PP. Their defenseman gets the puck behind the net and tries to ring it around the boards, but I was able to block with my skate. Kick the puck up to my stick, I've got an open lane, and take a quick shot that beats the goalie clean, far side, top corner. And crossbar.

Oh well. 0-3 on the season. I've got 2g 2a though, which is nice. No way we are going to stay at this level next year.

Old
11-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

Planning on picking up a Warrior Projekt girdle online today. My friend has one and says its great, and I need new pants.

Last edited by Mikey 48: 11-23-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old
11-18-2013, 09:22 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
am using my new TotalOne stick! Been waiting to get one to try for a while now. My APX and APX2 are great, but I have a friend who has used all 3 and prefers the TO. I'm excited and hope it feels as good as he says.
The TO felt pretty whippy, the flex isn't much lower than my APX or APX2 but it seemed to shoot quite differently. I didn't get enough of a warmup with it so I went back to the APX2 during the 2nd period. We were playing pretty badly and I didn't want an unfamiliar stick adding to it. In the 3rd I did block a defenseman's dump-in and beat them both for a breakway goal but I was still using the APX2. Hopefully tomorrow w/my good team I can get more structured playing time and get a real feel for the TO.

Anyway, we won 5-0.

Old
11-18-2013, 10:23 PM
Funkmarkoflex

...found a RBZ stage 2 at the high school where I play dek hockey. I wondered who plays dek hockey with a 300$ stick while I play on ice with sticks that I payed 80$ max...

Old
11-19-2013, 11:20 PM
Ozz

Whew - 2nd shutout of the week, this time for my top-division team. Two goals for me in a 10-0 routing against a team that for some reason is having trouble getting a few more more wins than losses this season. One was an on-the-rush wrister around a defender, far side top corner with 2 seconds left in the period. The other was a backward-falling one-timer in the slot, fed to me through 2 defenders.

If my 3rd team on Thursday gets a shutout, it'll be a sick week for all my goalies!

And I still don't like my TotalOne stick. What a bummer. But at least I do love the APX/APX2 I've got so at least I know to stick with them through and through.

Old
11-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

So my team played a game on Sunday against probably the best team in the league (our team lost to them in the championship last year 3-2)... we had a hard fought tie against them last week... and we ended up playng them again THIS week...

Well, with them leading 1-0 and 1:30 left in the game we have a BS goalie interference called on us... so needless to say we yank the goalie and tie it up with 15 seconds remaining... bench went nuts... game finished in a tie.

Fast forward to last night, my brother comes over my place with a friend of his... as his friend is walking in I can hear him tell a story of how his hockey team blew a 1-0 lead on the PP allowing the other team to score with 15 seconds remaining...

... yep, my bro's friend was on the other team (firs time I met him)... we had some chuckles over incidents in the game and league overall... super nice guy, got a long great... but funny expereince none the less.

Old
11-22-2013, 09:51 AM
Propane Nightmares
No Substance

Found out that if I had bothered to go to tryouts, I would have easily made the Great Britain team for the Winter Universiade

I was going to, but someone on my team said not to bother because he tried out once and it was all guys who play a higher level than us, but I've seen the team and I'm easily better than their backup goalie

**** my life right now

Old
11-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Whew - 2nd shutout of the week,

If my 3rd team on Thursday gets a shutout, it'll be a sick week for all my goalies!
Our goalie didn't play and our sub was awful. I think the first two real shots went in, and we were forced to scramble to keep any quality shots from reaching him. This is a low-tier team so we're comprised of 2 talented players (me and another guy who didn't show because he was stuck in traffic due to an accident) and a bunch of guys who also...skate around. Well, I can sometimes take over a game offensively on my own but not when everything else goes wrong w/our team. At one point I went through everyone and rang the damn post, the goalie was talking to me after the game about how badly I had him beat on that one. I've hit so many posts these past couple weeks for some reason. My shots usually go in, but I'm also not usually forced to skate circles around everyone to get those opportunities either.

I did get one great shift in the 3rd to put us within 2 goals, but of course after I got off they got another laughable goal on us. One of ours was a long wrister of my own, then a set play where I won the draw in their zone back to my defender on the wall, knocked his pointman out of the way for a clear lane, and had him shoot it in. It was tipped right on the doorstep and looked pretty nasty. Too bad we gave it right back up and couldn't have had more of the game go that way.

Old
11-22-2013, 01:28 PM
SacredPetra

Got my skates back from getting new holders put on (went from t'blades to the Graf cobras) and my lhs did an awesome job with it, despite having to redrill all the holes. They used all copper rivets, and you can barely tell there were ever other holders on the boots.

Skating on them though, was weird! The runners are a lot shorter than my old ones, and while they feel great for tight turns, I had a really hard time adjusting to stopping or pivoting on them. I think I'll end up looking them (I'd better, the change in holders was pretty permanent), but I haven't fallen that much doing simple things like gliding forward since I was a kid!

Old
11-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Today I ran into a few kids who kicked me off the team last year for someone they knew from like elementary school. Very very awkward. Especially after beating their team out in the 2nd round

edit: Should mention my friend from a town over convinced guys on his team to let me come aboard. Played about half the games and scored s few timely goals for em

Old
11-23-2013, 08:38 PM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

Third game of the season today. Finished -1 with 1 A and 2 blocks in a 9-4 loss. Kept losing the puck along the boards, but other than that I played okay. Looking to improve my outlet passes as well.

Old
11-23-2013, 10:11 PM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Returned to the ice after 10 months off due to surgery

Old
11-23-2013, 10:47 PM
thevil
Lets go Aves?

vCash: 112
Lost to the best team in the league, 6-2, although it was 2-2 going into the 3rd. I got an assist on our first goal, but for some reason it isn't recorded as my assist on Pointstreak.com...

Old
11-25-2013, 07:58 AM
TLow97

Beat the team I played for last year last night.

Definitely saw why I jumped ship from them this year. They only had two lines, and that was a pretty regular thing for them last year. Coughed up the puck a lot. I felt bad for them.

Old
11-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Coached two more practices and had a game this weekend. Getting plenty of ice.

Game was alright. For the second week in a row, we faced a little slower team, this one didn't have any ringers though. First game we played that was really close. I had some nice looks but couldn't finish, kept missing the net.

Did get an assist though. We were on the PP and center won the draw right back to me, quick shot went off a defender's shin and to the boards, I got the puck, skated right back to the middle of the ice, then another shot bounced off BOTH my linemates and in.

Couldn't finish my nicest play of the game...other team had a quasi-rush but our defender drove him to the boards and he coughed the puck up. I gathered it and cut behind our net, went up ice and my linemates were covered but no forecheckers close. So skated it up as fast as I could and into neutral ice. Both D were backing up and had once backchecker on me, but went around him, deked and split the D, went in all alone on the goalie...and fired right into her pads.

We were down 3-2 and pulled the goalie with a minute left to send me back on the ice, we kept the puck in their end the whole time and were working the puck along the boards, it got free to me...and I whiffed the shot and sent a knuckler over the net.

That kind of a night.

We're 0-4 on the season. I've got 2g 3a in 4 games.

Old
11-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Tonight my team finally won after 6 straight losses.

13-3.

Got myself 3 goals and 2 assists possible 3 assists so that was nice.

Old
11-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Ozz

Came back from an 0-3 start to win 7-3. I got an assist but was mostly worried about keeping their scorers off the board after they put up 3 quick ones.

Can't wait to rest the next 2 days and gear up for the holiday tournament. We were supposed to play in the 2nd highest division but there weren't enough teams who signed up for the top division and we all got lumped together. There's 8 teams total, split into divisions of 4, and the top 2 from each will reach Sunday's semi-finals. The winners from there will stay to play for the championship. Last year we lost by a goal in the dying seconds after fighting off late penalties, but this year is a total crapshoot considering the combination of divisions.

Old
11-27-2013, 12:34 AM
intangible

vCash: 139
Had an incredible fun scrimmage.. was easily the best player out there, and there were certainly some anklebenders. But it always feels good to go out there, get a couple goals and ton of assists, and feel the cold breeze rush by your face as you scream in on a breakaway against a friend. Good night for all.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Thesensation19

Today I went to the gym...

I did not do my usual warm up. Which is a 500 meter row with a 10 minute dynamic stretch routine. I did a 500m row but my stretch was weak and I could tell upon my work out.

I started with a Crossfit WOD. Dirty 50 they call it, however I had to make some tweaks.

50 box jumps (2 feet) I did 1 1/2 foot simply because my gym didnt have any boxes but a bench that was about a foot and a half. Relatively easy but tiring.
50 jumping pull ups- I did 25 straight. 5 after. I am not very good at pull ups but I aimed for 30.
50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood or 36 lbs. I did 35lb dumbbell swing as if it were a kettlebell.
50 Knees to Elbows. I did 15 which were not at all easy and I started to feel sharp pain in my arms so I switched to doing knees to chest on a dip machine. Easier but still tough so i did 40 to subsitute the effort
50 lunges- great for hockey
50 wall balls, 20lb ball. No medicine ball access so I just used a 25lb plat and pretend to throw and catch it against a wall.
50 burpees. Took a while, didnt think I would finish but I did.
50 double unders. No jump rope so I did 100 jumping jacks for speed.

I finished it on 30 minute mark.

After my cousin came into the gym. I showed him some mobility WOD to help him stretch out his hip joints and back. Really effective. Felt great this morning cuz of the hip stretch

We then did a Gymnastic WOD. 5 rounds of 3 handstand push ups. 7 chin ups strict. 30 squats. We did 3 rounds and called it a day haha.

Well kinda.

We then did a OLY WL WOD.
10x - 2 reps bench press for weight record. Basically you have 10 sets of 2 reps to rack up a total amount of weight in the end. I am more of a fan of doing pyramid or wave sets but this is a nice change up.

We also decided to do inclined and not flat.

Gotta say we impressed ourselves. Oh and only 30 seconds of rest in between sets.

After we stretched and relaxed

Old
11-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Thesensation19

I am not the strongest but was impressed. I believe on each set I did

1- (2) 25lb, 45lb bar
2- (2) 35lb
3- 45s
4- 55s
5- 60s
6- 60s