HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

reilly or brendan smith?

Old
11-19-2013, 12:25 PM
shultzyfeelinirie20

vCash: 500
reilly or brendan smith?

which brother would you rather see on the wings and why just for conversation is all? reilly really seems to have a higher i.q. and is 3rd in points for the bruins

shultzyfeelinirie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 12:26 PM
SirKillalot

Brendan will be a stud. Reilly will not.

11-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Detroit Sports*

Neither.

Detroit Sports* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 12:38 PM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

Reilly is also a forward, you cannot compare the two.

3G 10A in 20~ games? Curious to know how many of those As are primary, vs secondary.

If I am not mistaken either Reilly, is a 4th line player borderline 3rd line?

Brendan is in a bit of a rut, defensemen take time to develop I think Brendan will be the better of the two.

redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 12:38 PM
probertrules24

I would rather see Brendan.

Reilly has gotten hot on a line that is playing great. I believe he will end up topping out as a third liner while Brendan has the tool set to become more.

At this moment Reilly is looking good but if Brendan would get back to playing his aggressive hard hitting, playing with an edge game he would look a lot better. His confidence looks shot right now.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Frk It
Crap Space

Too early to give up on Brendan Smith.

If/whenever Smith gets out of Babcocks system, he's going to look like a totally different player. Think E Johnson under Roy, or Filppula in Tampa.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 12:53 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
It is hard to compare a forward and defenseman. But I personally prefer Brendan because I don't think Reilly is more than a third liner in this league.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 01:44 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
reilly smith would help the team more now, so i'd take him. reilly seems to have higher ceiling and is no less likely to reach it than his bro. and i still feel brendan can pull it together.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Flowah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
It is hard to compare a forward and defenseman. But I personally prefer Brendan because I don't think Reilly is more than a third liner in this league.
He is putting up some damn good points on a good Bruins team. I wish all our 3rd liners could go at a .65 PPG pace. Damn.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 03:18 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

I like both the Smith brothers. One has got considerably better situation this season playing for a coach that trusts his talents and puts him in a position to succeed. Realize the little brother has played an awful lot with Bergeron. He is now on a clicking third line that Julien does a good job of getting mismatches with and deploying well along with a good second PP unit in Chicago, yeah Reilly gets more PP time than his big brother who was tagged as a PP monster for much of his development. In any event one has top 6 qualities, one has top 4. Brenden has the tougher position to learn at the NHL level and hasn't been put in very good situations by his coach. I still think top four D-man are a bigger deal than a 2nd line and third line tweener type. I guess Reilly could really knock it out of the park become a first line guy.

By the way has been pointed out but given his past history even if B. Smith fails to completely grasp D, he might be shifted into a forward role. Who knows he could ever be a better forward than his little brother, this is really too early to call. Brendan has a lot of skills and he is a meaner cat, I think people are giving up on him way too early around here, I hope Wings management is still thinking long-term with him.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 10:56 PM
Eternal Sunshine

Rory

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 10:58 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
I like both the Smith brothers. One has got considerably better situation this season playing for a coach that trusts his talents and puts him in a position to succeed. Realize the little brother has played an awful lot with Bergeron. He is now on a clicking third line that Julien does a good job of getting mismatches with and deploying well along with a good second PP unit in Chicago, yeah Reilly gets more PP time than his big brother who was tagged as a PP monster for much of his development. In any event one has top 6 qualities, one has top 4. Brenden has the tougher position to learn at the NHL level and hasn't been put in very good situations by his coach. I still think top four D-man are a bigger deal than a 2nd line and third line tweener type. I guess Reilly could really knock it out of the park become a first line guy.

By the way has been pointed out but given his past history even if B. Smith fails to completely grasp D, he might be shifted into a forward role. Who knows he could ever be a better forward than his little brother, this is really too early to call. Brendan has a lot of skills and he is a meaner cat, I think people are giving up on him way too early around here, I hope Wings management is still thinking long-term with him.
Well put. Full agree. There's no reason why Brendan Smith shouldn't be playing every game at this point while healthy. Perhaps a coaching change would help him out a lot.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 11:28 PM
TatarTangle

I think Blashill has a better chance at turning Brendan Smith into a good defenseman than Babcock does. I don't know a lot about Blashill's personality but I imagine his patience with young players is 154673467234723456734567x better than Babcock.

Dream case scenario is he turns into a Scott Niedermayer.

But, hey, I've also said let him play forward and run wild, maybe he's the cure to the Red Wings scoring woes. Can't really hurt at this point. Don't have to waive anyone to try him out there either. Ken doesn't have to do a thing! Oh, wait, he's used to not doing a thing.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 11:43 PM
GoAwayDanCleary
DRW Country Club

Reilly. Brendan will never be able to produce in this system unless he gets loads of ES and PP time with D&Z (see Kronwall, Ericsson, more recently DeKeyser). This system is **** for offensive defenseman when you're rarely encouraged to skate the puck out of the zone or have any involvement in the offense. There's no speed through the neutral zone from the forwards, so its going to be tough making any outlet passes that will lead to good chances. Most of the time he's passing it to stationary forwards who can't do anything but dump the puck in and lose the race since all the forwards are floating in the neutral zone.

Just look at Erik Johnson in Colorado as a prime example. If Brendan was playing in Roy's system and given the right opportunity (not being played like a defensive defenseman), he'd put up a good amount of points.

GoAwayDanCleary is offline   Reply With Quote