HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Expansion part III

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Latgale_fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBratislava View Post
Sure:
Arena- 3 largest arenas in FIN:
1. Hartwall 13,665
2. Turku 11,820
3. HIFK 8,120

Marketing:
Harkimo has been involved in European international scene for decades, they put on a solid show at the games, they sign interesting players, their game against The Anaheim Ducks in 2011 etc.

Budget:
The most recent number I found was €6.9 M which is a lot of money in a league where travel is much, much cheaper. For example Slovan's budget in the last season before KHL was €4 M. When we consider sponsorship potential in Helsinki, Finland, and obviously the Russians we must come to a conclusion that their KHL budget will be minimum double the Slovan's and more than Lev's. That's a lot of money for European hockey!

Popularity outside of Finland:
From my own personal experience here in the US and Canada, when Finish club hockey is mentioned 80% of times the first team (if any) people can recall is Helsinki Jokers. For example people in Boston know that Tim Thomas used to play for them. People in Slovakia/Czech first recall the Helsinki teams HIFK and Jokerit. Unfortunately my hockey life has only brought me to US, CAN, CZE, and SVK therefore I can only use this knowledge of Jokerit's popularity from all kinds of hockey people throughout the pyramid in these countries. You can call this part somewhat biased by my experience. On the other when NA hockey websites/magazines mention finish club scene they often mention Jokerit Helsinki in those few articles they write about them.

Overall I believe that the addition of Jokerit next year will make the West very strong and exciting to watch. Their impact will be much larger than Slovan's in their first season. I personally will love to go to Helsinki with Slovan for a roadie. You probably have heard of hockey Slovaks liking Finns and vice versa.
Yup in Latvia too, most popular would be Ilves and Jokerit... Others not so much.

Old
11-15-2013, 07:07 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Sure:
Arena- 3 largest arenas in FIN:
1. Hartwall 13,665
2. Turku 11,820
3. HIFK 8,120

Marketing:
Harkimo has been involved in European international scene for decades, they put on a solid show at the games, they sign interesting players, their game against The Anaheim Ducks in 2011 etc.

Budget:
The most recent number I found was €6.9 M which is a lot of money in a league where travel is much, much cheaper. For example Slovan's budget in the last season before KHL was €4 M. When we consider sponsorship potential in Helsinki, Finland, and obviously the Russians we must come to a conclusion that their KHL budget will be minimum double the Slovan's and more than Lev's. That's a lot of money for European hockey!

Popularity outside of Finland:
From my own personal experience here in the US and Canada, when Finish club hockey is mentioned 80% of times the first team (if any) people can recall is Helsinki Jokers. For example people in Boston know that Tim Thomas used to play for them. People in Slovakia/Czech first recall the Helsinki teams HIFK and Jokerit. Unfortunately my hockey life has only brought me to US, CAN, CZE, and SVK therefore I can only use this knowledge of Jokerit's popularity from all kinds of hockey people throughout the pyramid in these countries. You can call this part somewhat biased by my experience. On the other when NA hockey websites/magazines mention finish club scene they often mention Jokerit Helsinki in those few articles they write about them.

Overall I believe that the addition of Jokerit next year will make the West very strong and exciting to watch. Their impact will be much larger than Slovan's in their first season. I personally will love to go to Helsinki with Slovan for a roadie. You probably have heard of hockey Slovaks liking Finns and vice versa.
Jokerit marketing has been piss poor for over 15 years now. They've been upstaged by rivals HIFK. Roman Rotenberg's going to have see if there's something from SKA that could be implemented to Jokerit (doesn't automatically translate).

Jokerit budget for the last two season's has been around 8 million euros but that's the overall budget. The player budget a year ago was 3 million (same with Kärpät, lockout increased it later for many teams), this year 3,5 million. When you look at the rosters, well basically since 2002, it's easy to see a lot that money could've been spent much wiser. Jokerit have a habit of overpaying for players and teambuilding has been severely lacking(still no sign of a replacement for iFlip... ).

As for the arena size, Jokerit can only fill it against HIFK or if they make it to the final. Usually it's between 7000-9000.

Old
11-16-2013, 07:07 AM
thevreelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I believe in quite the opposite: we only need one strong league in the world -- with an American Conference (corresponding to today's NHL) and a European Conference (something the KHL aspires to become these days). But that's utopia for now.

I see nothing wrong with one strong, overarching league, with the strongest teams and best players playing in that league.

Then, below that top league, there can be many smaller, regional leagues. They would not be unimportant or boring. All the minor-league players would strive to play so well as to be recruited by a team from the top league.

I think it's very backward, 20th century thinking, trying to restrict a top-level hockey league to the tiny territory of a single country. A huge country like the US or Canada or Russia could get away with that, but for a small country like Switzerland or Slovakia, I believe it's ultimately counter-productive.
I'm not honestly sure if that will ever happen, nor do I want it to happen. I think when the KHL does become the big league in Europe (which it will) and if it ever starts to rival the NHL, I would like it to remain separate from the NHL, in terms of different leagues that don't play each other during their own two separate league schedules. I would however wouldn't mind a Champion's League type of tournament form, where the top in the NHL face the top in the KHL for a different Cup entirely. I think this would be all hockey fans dreams, but who knows if we'll ever see it.

Old
11-17-2013, 02:15 PM
BlueBratislava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Jokerit marketing has been piss poor for over 15 years now. They've been upstaged by rivals HIFK. Roman Rotenberg's going to have see if there's something from SKA that could be implemented to Jokerit (doesn't automatically translate).

Jokerit budget for the last two season's has been around 8 million euros but that's the overall budget. The player budget a year ago was 3 million (same with Kärpät, lockout increased it later for many teams), this year 3,5 million. When you look at the rosters, well basically since 2002, it's easy to see a lot that money could've been spent much wiser. Jokerit have a habit of overpaying for players and teambuilding has been severely lacking(still no sign of a replacement for iFlip... ).

As for the arena size, Jokerit can only fill it against HIFK or if they make it to the final. Usually it's between 7000-9000.
Your deeply negative opinion is still not going to change the fact that Jokerit will be a very nice contribution to the league. I, for example, wish that people like Rotenberg got involved in our club instead of our current owner. Slovan is under-financed this year and the whole city says it...he never even shows up at the games. Lack of money will not be the case of Helsinki next year for sure.

Old
11-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Your deeply negative opinion is still not going to change the fact that Jokerit will be a very nice contribution to the league. I, for example, wish that people like Rotenberg got involved in our club instead of our current owner. Slovan is under-financed this year and the whole city says it...he never even shows up at the games. Lack of money will not be the case of Helsinki next year for sure.
Just saying people have overly optimistic views on Jokerit.

This is just rumors but supposedly Rotenberg is trying to get Russians sponsors for Jokerit since there's not as much money the new Finnish sponsors can raise as they hoped. Supposedly one European betting company is interested in sponsoring Jokerit but that would only be for the road jerseys (because they would not be allowed to sponsor in Finland).

Old
11-18-2013, 01:48 AM
Finnpin
"internet"

Quote:

Last year's player budget started as 3M but ended as 3.5M.

Last year's attendance were good and also other teams than HIFK games got over 10.000+ crowds as the team played great hockey and there were star players like Erik Karlsson and Valtteri Filppula. That shows people will find inside the arena if the team plays good hockey and if they can get some interesting players there.

There is potential if Harkimo just understands to step out totally from team/organization management...and I believe that's what he is trying to do.

Old
11-18-2013, 06:08 AM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Last year's player budget started as 3M but ended as 3.5M.

Last year's attendance were good and also other teams than HIFK games got over 10.000+ crowds as the team played great hockey and there were star players like Erik Karlsson and Valtteri Filppula. That shows people will find inside the arena if the team plays good hockey and if they can get some interesting players there.

There is potential if Harkimo just understands to step out totally from team/organization management...and I believe that's what he is trying to do.
Erik Karlsson and V. Filppula and the other lock-out stars (of opponents) were the main reason for that, there's no denying that. The drop in attendances this season shows that. Lock-out seasons have had higher than normal attendances every time. They've normalized afterwards.

Old
11-18-2013, 03:35 PM
thevreelander

Since no matter what the KHL is expanding. Does anyone know if the KHL has even talked about going to divisional format? I've been following Dynamo Moscow for almost a year now and I'm starting to wonder (before I become a hardcore fan and buy a lot of stuff) if I should maybe change up to a different team because of the USA/EST time zone thing. It's a pain when the game is on 9 to 10:30 A.M. when it seems other teams are 12 to even 1:30 P.M..

Old
11-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Faterson

Pure luxury... NHL games are typically at 1 am, 2 am, 3 am or (at "best") 4:30 am for us in Central Europe. Only the (very few) matinee games are in resonable times here: 6 pm or 7 pm or 9 pm or 10 pm.

Old
11-18-2013, 05:33 PM
thevreelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Pure luxury... NHL games are typically at 1 am, 2 am, 3 am or (at "best") 4:30 am for us in Central Europe. Only the (very few) matinee games are in resonable times here: 6 pm or 7 pm or 9 pm or 10 pm.
Respect to anyone in Central Europe who follows an NHL team.

Old
11-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevreelander View Post
Since no matter what the KHL is expanding. Does anyone know if the KHL has even talked about going to divisional format? I've been following Dynamo Moscow for almost a year now and I'm starting to wonder (before I become a hardcore fan and buy a lot of stuff) if I should maybe change up to a different team because of the USA/EST time zone thing. It's a pain when the game is on 9 to 10:30 A.M. when it seems other teams are 12 to even 1:30 P.M..
Glory hunter!

Old
11-18-2013, 07:08 PM
FreshFruit

Quote:
Glory hunter!
Says Manchester United fan.

By mere coincidence I'm Bayern Munchen fan, since 1999.
Everything shattered in 2 minutes, everything...

Old
11-18-2013, 08:54 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFruit View Post
Says Manchester United fan.

By mere coincidence I'm Bayern Munchen fan, since 1999.
Everything shattered in 2 minutes, everything...
Double glory hunter!

Note that I've been a United fan since 1991, not exactly on the level then as now.

Old
11-18-2013, 09:02 PM
thevreelander

Quote:
Glory hunter!
It's the team that was on ESPN the most during the lockout .

Old
11-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Spektanto

Quote:
Try Admiral, they're doing well in their first season

Old
11-19-2013, 06:21 AM
obskyr

Quote:
Chances are the Moscow time is going to change before the division structure does. It may be whether one or even two hour shift during winters, there are two competing bills currently in the parliament. That means the games will be starting later.

Old
11-19-2013, 07:54 AM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by obskyr View Post
Chances are the Moscow time is going to change before the division structure does. It may be whether one or even two hour shift during winters, there are two competing bills currently in the parliament. That means the games will be starting later.
Are they planning on going back to using winter time in Russia?

Old
11-19-2013, 11:19 AM
thevreelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by obskyr View Post
That's better for me. I find it funny that Russia doesn't do a Winter time.

Old
11-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Ivan94

Quote:
That's better for me. I find it funny that Russia doesn't do a Winter time.
I hate the wintertime in germany. you go home from university at 5pm and its already dark outside.

Old
11-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan94 View Post
I hate the wintertime in germany. you go home from university at 5pm and its already dark outside.
More light in day time for the working people.

Old
11-19-2013, 03:41 PM
obskyr

Quote:
Are they planning on going back to using winter time in Russia?
Exactly.

Quote:
Waking up and heading to job in deep darkness, when the time by your watch is two hours ahead of the real geographic time, is much worse. And you have to go back home in darkness too. It's cold, also dark all the time, just like in the Latvian jokes. Dang it, Medvedev.

Old
11-19-2013, 11:49 PM
Finnpin
"internet"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan94 View Post
Welcome to Finland When I go home from work at 4 pm. It's already dark. These are the toughest months...especially when there is still no snow.

Old
11-20-2013, 06:23 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
here in USA 4 pm is almost dark and we got another month of only getting darker to go

Old
11-20-2013, 08:51 AM
thevreelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
here in USA 4 pm is almost dark and we got another month of only getting darker to go
Same.....that's Winter though and I don't really mind it. Makes me want to go by the fire and watch hockey!

Old
11-22-2013, 10:17 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Rosneft Official Sponsor of 87th Spengler Cup

Coincidence or plan? What do you think?

Closed Thread