HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Raise the Jolly Rogers: The Off-Season

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2013, 06:01 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

vCash: 500
Expected but still amazing. We've come a long way baby.

Old
11-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Congrats to Cutch!

Old
11-14-2013, 06:13 PM
djt153

truly lucky to have cutch playing for the bucs

Old
11-14-2013, 06:15 PM
PanthersPens62
$325 Million Man

Awesome! Gratz to Cutch & Hurdle!

Old
11-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
No news, just another classic Cutch gif.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
11-19-2013, 04:10 PM
sniugneP

Pirates re-acquire Duke Welker from Twins. I think they're getting Kris Johnson from us.

Old
11-19-2013, 04:19 PM
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Pirates re-acquire Duke Welker from Twins. I think they're getting Kris Johnson from us.
SWEET. I am very high on Welker as a back end bullpen arm. He was the guy i was most disappointed to lose a few months back. I think he'll stick with the big club out of spring training.

Old
11-19-2013, 04:21 PM
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!

Josh Johnson is a very real possibility.

http://www.piratesprospects.com/2013...hort-list.html

Guy was flat out dominant a few years back. Ground ball pitcher who, i think, would do quite well in PNC under Searage.

Old
11-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Kris Johnson for him? Sure thing, Minnesota. Johnson being a lefty actually hurt his chances in Pittsburgh with Watson & Wilson already there and he was never going to be a realistic starting candidate...plus we got the guy as a minor league free agent to begin with, so...yeah.

Josh Johnson makes a ton of sense as a Pirates target. There's tons of upside there and his value is at a low point...but he's still going to demand a pretty contract. He's a 29/30 year-old who's a year removed from being ace caliber. I'd like it in part because it'd be following what happened in my MLB 13 franchise

Old
11-19-2013, 04:44 PM
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!

I think Burnett won't be back....thus the real interest in Johnson. You figure, Cole, Liriano, Morton and Wandy are locks for 4 spots. Locke will get a shot, among others. But i'd rather take a flier on Johnson for 2 years.

Old
11-19-2013, 04:58 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

I still have very little confidence in Wandy actually pitching effectively for us again. Not that I have any info on it, just seems like a weird situation.

I'd be all for Johnson. With the Giants signing Hudson hopefully that further narrows his candidates,

Old
11-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

I was thinking it was about 50/50 on Burnett coming back a month ago, now I'm closer to 25/75.

Wandy...you pencil him in as the #5 as it stands, but there's certainly no harm in lining up competition. Nobody is expecting to get the old Wandy back, so the question is is he a #5 or a long reliever?

Josh Johnson is the definition of a Huntington target, and if it's between him or A.J...I want Johnson. A.J. would give value, and if possible I'd love to see both (as the saying goes, you can never have too much pitching...if nothing else that'd open up a trading option to improve the team elsewhere), but given Johnson's profile & Searage's track record with pitchers like him...he could well be a legitimate #2 starter in Pittsburgh.

Old
11-19-2013, 06:46 PM
DJ Spinoza

I like the idea of Johnson, but I think it's going to be an even bigger gamble than Liriano. If that gamble works out though, and we have Cole, JJ, and Liriano at the top of the rotation -- yikes!

It's just hard to get a sense for what Johnson will do. He does look like a bounceback guy, but his fastball has been declining, and he was pretty much horrible for most of his healthy time with the Blue Jays last year.

Old
11-19-2013, 10:37 PM
bradshaw06

Johnson signed with the pads.

Old
11-19-2013, 10:47 PM
DJ Spinoza

Yep, 1 year, 8 million guaranteed. That's a very big risk, but it's definitely one I would have taken if I were the Pirates. Apparently we were runners up, and it's important not to forget the home factor for Johnson. Looks like he took as much guaranteed as he could get in the hopes of having a rebound year and getting at least another big, multi-year deal.

Old
11-19-2013, 10:52 PM
bradshaw06

I understand the idea of him bouncing back, but that era is just scary to look at. (i say that, but know i am not as keen on other advanced stats).

Old
11-20-2013, 01:27 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

It also has to be noted...that was Toronto...and he only pitched half a season.

That whole franchise is basically the New York Rangers circa 2004.

Old
11-20-2013, 03:55 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Not entirely sure of the significance but Alen Hanson and Joely Rodriguez were added to the 40-man, with Polanco soon to follow. **** if I can understand baseball's byzantine roster rules.

Old
11-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Not entirely sure of the significance but Alen Hanson and Joely Rodriguez were added to the 40-man, with Polanco soon to follow. **** if I can understand baseball's byzantine roster rules.
Done to protect them from the Rule 5 draft, which if they had not, would have allowed a team to pick them up and keep them if they stayed in the majors all season.

Old
11-20-2013, 04:12 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick87your71Poison View Post
Done to protect them from the Rule 5 draft, which if they had not, would have allowed a team to pick them up and keep them if they stayed in the majors all season.
Ah okay, thanks. So no surprise then.

Old
11-25-2013, 12:10 PM
DJ Spinoza

Looks like the Garrett Jones era may have just come to an end. Traded Alex Dickerson to the Padres for two minor leaguers who seem decent on paper, and Jones and McPherson were DFA'd.

Old
11-25-2013, 12:39 PM
djt153

not following the logic of this one, but in neal we trust i guess. guess they never see dickerson's power developing and his defense is just too shoddy to overcome that.

Old
11-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Spinoza View Post
Looks like the Garrett Jones era may have just come to an end. Traded Alex Dickerson to the Padres for two minor leaguers who seem decent on paper, and Jones and McPherson were DFA'd.
Jones seemed like a decent guy. Sorry to see his time here end but it was probably time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djt153 View Post
not following the logic of this one, but in neal we trust i guess. guess they never see dickerson's power developing and his defense is just too shoddy to overcome that.
Yeah, I guess I'll just have to trust Huntington on this one too. I don't really follow the Pirates prospects enough to know what to think of that move. Maybe someone like Big McLargehuge will chime in. He seems to follow the team's prospects a bit.

Old
11-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Ah okay, thanks. So no surprise then.
Yep. I still think we're going to lose at least one guy during the Rule 5 Draft, but I don't think he's really worthy of fretting over (Zach Thornton, a 25 year-old reliever with some solid AAA experience) as he was unlikely to have any impact in Pittsburgh this upcoming year and Rule 5 relievers are a dime a dozen...he's just going to be one of a small handful that has reached AAA. His upside isn't high enough to burn a 40-man roster spot on, in my opinion, though I wouldn't be surprised if he puts up some decent numbers in the majors next year (pitching only in blow-outs).

Interesting to see Dickerson dealt, I could never really grab a hold if the organization was high on him or disappointed in him...but after putting up good numbers last year I thought he'd get another season to see what he could bring. I've flip-flopped on Dickerson more than I have on any prospect; I've gone from loving him as a draft pick, getting disappointed in him, loving his ability to put the ball in play, hating his defense, thinking he's improving, then not seeing his power translating to the Majors...I really don't know. The only thing I can really say is that Dickerson isn't the type of prospect that you bet on doing anything. I wouldn't be surprised if he puts together a solid career, but the one thing I was always against was talk of him as the first baseman of the future...he's just not a good enough prospect to earn that sort of distinction. A stadium like Petco seems to be built for a guy like Dickerson, if he ever makes it there, he should be able to rack up doubles.

Decker was a sandwich round (42nd overall) pick in 2008, made his MLB debut last year and had solid numbers in his first season in AAA. Doesn't have enough power to stick in the corners, though, and projects more to be a 4th outfielder who can play all 3 positions...biggest thing about him is that he gets on base, with a .381 OBP last year actually being below his minor league average. I'm not really sure why San Diego DFA'd him, and I can see why his name was a minor one in rumor circles since then...but he had an injury plagued and awful 2012 season, but that was sandwiched between impressive seasons in AA and AAA.

Mikolas spent a decent amount of time in the Padres' bullpen in 2012 and looked pretty good (saw him a couple times in person, actually) and has been a model of efficiency in the minors since being drafted in 2009 and served as Tuscon's closer last year.

San Diego DFA'd 4 guys to get their roster under control, and at least 3 of them have legitimate Major League talent...I don't know if this is San Diego being San Diego or what, but it's somewhat common to see one guy with talent getting DFA'd, but not three.

McPherson...that's unfortunate. I had high hopes for him, but injuries have robbed him of two consecutive seasons and I'll be shocked if he can rebound as a Major Leaguer at this point. Getting Jones officially off the roster can only be seen as a positive at this point. That doesn't mean that he won't return, I can see a scenario where he just sits on the market until mid-January and then becomes a very appealing bench option...but I think he'll get a contract fairly quickly.

Old
11-25-2013, 01:05 PM
sniugneP

Not really surprised that Jones is DFA'd. We have depth in OF and he wasn't good enough to play 1B. Might be good for him to get a change of scenery, maybe in AL.

Too bad for McPherson. Had Tommy John surgery last summer. Too much injuries to overcome. Can't blame Neal for this move.

Wonder about Morneau.....do we have a chance to sign him? I have a feeling that he wants to go back to AL.

Closed Thread