Notices

Vyborny's goals last night

Old
12-27-2006, 02:32 PM
CombatOnContact

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Vyborny's goals last night

Both goals were very nice and he is a great player. But after seeing those goals again and again, it's pretty obvious that the should never have gone in. They were both a direct result of Bruins players quitting on the play and showing zero effort.

The first goal was a 3 on 2 rush. I think Tenkrat, Sturm and Boyes were on the ice and had some decent offensive zone possession before it was lost and turned back the other way. Boyes and Sturm quit on the play and went for a change. I noticed that Wayne Primeau hopped over the boards but instead of skating hard to make himself useful, he glided into the defensive zone and watched Vyborny settle the puck down spin around (in slow motion) and flip a back hander over a helpless Tim Thomas. He only started skating when Vyborny was just about to let the shot go and stopped skating before the puck was even in the net (I think he took 2 strides in total). It was a 3 on 2, but usually once the puck has entered the zone, 3 seconds should be ample time for the forwards to get back and set up defensive zone coverage. But the 3 on 2 effectively turned into a 5 on 2 with only Mara and Stuart helping out Thomas. Absolutely brutal.

And of course, the OT winner was a thing of beauty for Jackets fans. It reminds me of the bonehead play by Kovalev in the playoffs (03-04). The entire line quit on the play. The puck was inches from the blueline and Chistov did not have possession. He was still fighting for the puck, yet Mowers abandoned his post and skated to the bench. Instead of helping Chistov he stood at the door and waited for just the right moment (when the puck got jarred loose) to make the change. Stuart had been tripped up and was along the boards near the bench as well, but Mara should have recognized the situation and stayed in position to make a play. How could all 4 players leave the ice while the play is still going on close to their zone? When Chistov had the puck momentarily, it was a 4 on 1. When he lost it, it became a 4 on 0. Poor Thomas. All 4 players should pitch in to buy him a new goal stick after that brain fart.

Those 2 plays cost the Bruins the game and a very important point.

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 02:40 PM
FL4WL3SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
Both goals were very nice and he is a great player. But after seeing those goals again and again, it's pretty obvious that the should never have gone in. They were both a direct result of Bruins players quitting on the play and showing zero effort.

The first goal was a 3 on 2 rush. I think Tenkrat, Sturm and Boyes were on the ice and had some decent offensive zone possession before it was lost and turned back the other way. Boyes and Sturm quit on the play and went for a change. I noticed that Wayne Primeau hopped over the boards but instead of skating hard to make himself useful, he glided into the defensive zone and watched Vyborny settle the puck down spin around (in slow motion) and flip a back hander over a helpless Tim Thomas. He only started skating when Vyborny was just about to let the shot go and stopped skating before the puck was even in the net (I think he took 2 strides in total). It was a 3 on 2, but usually once the puck has entered the zone, 3 seconds should be ample time for the forwards to get back and set up defensive zone coverage. But the 3 on 2 effectively turned into a 5 on 2 with only Mara and Stuart helping out Thomas. Absolutely brutal.

And of course, the OT winner was a thing of beauty for Jackets fans. It reminds me of the bonehead play by Kovalev in the playoffs (03-04). The entire line quit on the play. The puck was inches from the blueline and Chistov did not have possession. He was still fighting for the puck, yet Mowers abandoned his post and skated to the bench. Instead of helping Chistov he stood at the door and waited for just the right moment (when the puck got jarred loose) to make the change. Stuart had been tripped up and was along the boards near the bench as well, but Mara should have recognized the situation and stayed in position to make a play. How could all 4 players leave the ice while the play is still going on close to their zone? When Chistov had the puck momentarily, it was a 4 on 1. When he lost it, it became a 4 on 0. Poor Thomas. All 4 players should pitch in to buy him a new goal stick after that brain fart.

Those 2 plays cost the Bruins the game and a very important point.
I was at the game and it looked worse in person. I agree on every point you make here and would add that the play of Chara was the other contributing factor to the loss. He made a terrible play on the blueline that resulted in a shorthanded goal and took a brutal penalty at the end of the game that resulted in the tying goal.

-FL4WL3SS-

FL4WL3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 02:49 PM
BoyntBergie

Chistov went the wrong way with the puck in a situation he should not have, that was my main beef. Then the boneheaded change.

I was trying to find a replay, but nothing on youtube.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 02:53 PM
CombatOnContact

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
Chistov went the wrong way with the puck in a situation he should not have, that was my main beef. Then the boneheaded change.

I was trying to find a replay, but nothing on youtube.
Check NHL.com. You can watch select Vyborny's game winner and see the whole play unfold. The only that is missed is the missed tripping call on Stuart.

There were 5 players on for Columbus when they had possession. The 5th player on the ice was Vyborny who ended up scoring the goal. Chistov's play wasn't the brightest, but it was either that or try to plow it through 5 BJ's to get it down the ice. He was trying to feed it back so the Bruins could keep possession while they changed. If the other 3 players had stayed in some sort of formation, it wouldn't have been so bad.

Old
12-27-2006, 03:30 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
Check NHL.com. You can watch select Vyborny's game winner and see the whole play unfold. The only that is missed is the missed tripping call on Stuart.

There were 5 players on for Columbus when they had possession. The 5th player on the ice was Vyborny who ended up scoring the goal. Chistov's play wasn't the brightest, but it was either that or try to plow it through 5 BJ's to get it down the ice. He was trying to feed it back so the Bruins could keep possession while they changed. If the other 3 players had stayed in some sort of formation, it wouldn't have been so bad.
Just watched it on NHL, I think they cut in right after he's kind of been just playing with it a bit. Regardless, you're right about the line change and that magnifying things.

Not the end of the world. Chistov has some slack in my book after his goal the other night.

Old
12-27-2006, 03:34 PM
FL4WL3SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
Just watched it on NHL, I think they cut in right after he's kind of been just playing with it a bit. Regardless, you're right about the line change and that magnifying things.

Not the end of the world. Chistov has some slack in my book after his goal the other night.
Chistov has a lot of slack in my book. He's been playing hard and seeing him in person last night really opened my eyes to his ability. He looked comfortable and was making good decisions with the puck. He may make some mistakes, just like Kessel, but he's a talent. I just hope everybody gives him as much slack as they give Kessel, they're both in the same boat.

-FL4WL3SS-

FL4WL3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL4WL3SS View Post
Chistov has a lot of slack in my book. He's been playing hard and seeing him in person last night really opened my eyes to his ability. He looked comfortable and was making good decisions with the puck. He may make some mistakes, just like Kessel, but he's a talent. I just hope everybody gives him as much slack as they give Kessel, they're both in the same boat.

-FL4WL3SS-
We got him for a 3rd round pick and he is what 23 years old. If our demands doesn't scare and he stays in NA, let him a few times and we should be for awhile.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 04:21 PM
chippa13*

That last goal was hardly Chistov's fault. He received no support while being outmanned on the puck, then there isn't one Bruin on the far side. Mara left too early for a change and the B's got burned by it.

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 04:22 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL4WL3SS View Post
I was at the game and it looked worse in person. I agree on every point you make here and would add that the play of Chara was the other contributing factor to the loss. He made a terrible play on the blueline that resulted in a shorthanded goal and took a brutal penalty at the end of the game that resulted in the tying goal.

-FL4WL3SS-
I thought it was a pass between the points (Murray to Chara?) that got picked off. Gotta say that it's been a real trouble spot in the last few games. Teams seem to anticipate that the left point will pass to Chara for a slapshot -- they intercept it and get a clear breakaway to the goal.

As for the line change during OT, weren't the B's at risk of getting a "too many men" penalty? The puck's in play in front of the bench and the whole line's trying to change at the same time. If somebody tries to play the puck before the proper change is made there's a whistle. It was just a nightmare on so many levels!

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 04:39 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippa13 View Post
That last goal was hardly Chistov's fault. He received no support while being outmanned on the puck, then there isn't one Bruin on the far side. Mara left too early for a change and the B's got burned by it.
"The Trash Heap has spoken!!!!"

Old
12-27-2006, 04:42 PM
chippa13*

Stop, please, you're making me blush.

Old
12-27-2006, 04:47 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Stop, please, you're making me blush.
Attention from another male does that to you, huh?

I'm cool with that if that's your thing, to each their own. Not my steez personally though.

Old
12-27-2006, 04:49 PM
chippa13*

"Hi, I'm BoyntBergie and I don't get jokes."

"Hi, Boynt."

Old
12-27-2006, 04:59 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
"Hi, I'm BoyntBergie and I don't get jokes."

"Hi, Boynt."
Yes, "stop please, you're making me blush" is just a knee slapper.

My bad. Maybe you're just not funny? Most people with poles up their wazoos aren't.

Old
12-27-2006, 05:00 PM
chippa13*

It'll be ok. Just tell mom you'll need an extra cookie with your milk today.

Old
12-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Fair Warning

Getting back on topic...

I think the Blue Jackets blatantly out-skated the Bruins yesterday. Some will disagree, but if you go back and watch some of the footage, Colombus skated better all around.

And we definitely need to limit odd-man rushes on OUR power play...that's been happening for a few games now.

Fair Warning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 06:10 PM
CombatOnContact

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
I thought it was a pass between the points (Murray to Chara?) that got picked off. Gotta say that it's been a real trouble spot in the last few games. Teams seem to anticipate that the left point will pass to Chara for a slapshot -- they intercept it and get a clear breakaway to the goal.

As for the line change during OT, weren't the B's at risk of getting a "too many men" penalty? The puck's in play in front of the bench and the whole line's trying to change at the same time. If somebody tries to play the puck before the proper change is made there's a whistle. It was just a nightmare on so many levels!
This is getting off topic here but...the problem is mainly due to Boston setting up too quickly in the umbrella format. They should set up with TWO guys at the point before moving into the umbrella. This would cut down on those passes because teams would have to anticipate both a shooting setup and the umbrella setup.