HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reasons to still be optimistic for the season

Old
11-20-2013, 10:10 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Good GMs are a rare breed in Hockey. It's easy to say that the new guy coming in will be better. But nobody ever identifies him as a tangible person.
I guess something things never change. The shiny new toy affects everyone & everything now just vets & prospects.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Frk It
#snipequist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsfan24 View Post
Exactly. Ron Rolston is not a better coach than Babcock. Regier is not better than Holland. Not many options out there.
I've said this a million times.

"Better" is a relative term. No coach is going to come in here with a better resume than Babcock. Since few coaches have a better resume out there. So if you look at tangible achievements only, Babcock should be our coach until the end of time.

Buuuut. Sometimes a new coach, with a new philosophy, a new attitude, and a new message, is more important to a team than a coach's credentials on paper. As has been said ad nauseum on here, even all-time great coaches wear out their welcome.

There's going to be a time where someone comes in here and reinvigorates the team, and that next step is appropriate. I think it's actually coming soon.

Edit: What am I saying? I think that time is now. Babcock doesn't know what type of system to employ with this personnell anymore, and his love affair with washed-up vets is pointing us in the opposite direction we need to go given the players we have coming up.

Last edited by Frk It: 11-20-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:05 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
I guess something things never change. The shiny new toy affects everyone & everything now just vets & prospects.
i had no idea that whenever a team in any sport lets go a coach or gm its beacuse of "shinny new toy" syndrome

thanks for clearing that up

brillant logic

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 10:33 AM
kdfsjljklgjfg

Where is your optimism now?

kdfsjljklgjfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 11:11 AM
RedWinger10

Its only 1/4 in the books and we are constantly adjusting with all of the kids on the team.

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 11:48 AM
TheGreatOutlaw

We have seasoned plugs Cleary and Sammy ready to step in and fill the talent gaps. They play realgud ...

TheGreatOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 11:51 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Quote:
“We’re not doing hockey analytics, per se,” said Detroit GM Ken Holland earlier this month when the Wings were in town.

“We’ve had companies present to us. I would say the analytics we use are probably the same ones other teams use.”
guess quincey and cleary have family members in those companies .

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 12:08 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
i had no idea that whenever a team in any sport lets go a coach or gm its beacuse of "shinny new toy" syndrome

thanks for clearing that up

brillant logic
It's the idea that the new coach or GM will do a much better job than the previous person. It's the same idea of when we compare prospects usually the older guys get pushed away from the spotlight & the new ones take it up.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Henkka

Our shot differential from last 6 games is very promising.

Red Wings shots avg

Opposite team avg

Almost 12 shots on goal more on average.

So our puck possession is pretty good, only weakness are those horrible turnovers like we all have seen. When can get those situations going without mistakes, this team will be pretty strong.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 07:45 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post

Red Wings shots avg

Opposite team avg

So our puck possession is pretty good, only weakness are those horrible turnovers like we all have seen. When can get those situations going without mistakes, this team will be pretty strong.
Shot avg. is one thing, but creating quality chances is another. If you're like Sammy or Kronwall and just bomb onto the goaltender, it's not very helpful. They should try to keep the shot low and get a rebound or at least aim for the corners.

ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Shot avg. is one thing, but creating quality chances is another. If you're like Sammy or Kronwall and just bomb onto the goaltender, it's not very helpful. They should try to keep the shot low and get a rebound or at least aim for the corners.
Still, it's cleary better than our season avarage, that was still negative before this game. Now it's +1.0.

Right direction.

More shots, more lucky bounces in, like Franzen today.

Old
11-24-2013, 07:51 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:

Red Wings shots avg

Opposite team avg

yeah but all of those teams are below average possession wise.

except the isles.

and wings lost the possession battle against them.

but still better than nothing.

Old
11-24-2013, 07:58 PM
chances14

The entire Eastern conference sucks. That's the only reason you need to be optimistic.

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Flowah

Quote:

Red Wings shots avg

Opposite team avg

The problem is:

When we fall apart, we *really* fall apart. Like we just collapse. There have been a few games now where we can win 70% of the game in terms of possession and shots and the remaining 30% is just a disaster and we end up losing. Is that on goaltending or a defense that just can't keep things calm or both?

Also we have seen a ton of good scoring chances that we just can't capitalize on. Prime example, Alfie in the slot today perfect set up for a one-timer and he passes it off and nothing even comes from it. Tatar had one the other night that was inches from going in. Zetterberg's wraparound tonight. Inches, inches all the time.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 08:01 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
The entire Eastern conference sucks. That's the only reason you need to be optimistic.
east is almost hilariously bad compared to west. like most of the east would be expansion teams or something.

Old
11-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
Yeah, and we have played this season start with 50/50 east/west split.

Next 11 against East in-a-row.

Old
11-24-2013, 09:06 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Still, it's cleary better than our season avarage, that was still negative before this game. Now it's +1.0.

Right direction.

More shots, more lucky bounces in, like Franzen today.
Agreed.

I still want to see smarter shots though. Kronwall needs to take some lessons from Lidstrom in being patient with the puck and shooting at the right time.

I want to see how many of our PP goals came from shots from the point (either directly in or a tip-in) and how many came from down-low (passes across the goaltender for a one timer, crashing the net, etc.)

ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 10:24 PM
ricky0034

the Wings have played as many games against the West as the Bruins and Penguins combined

encouraging stat I just saw

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Agreed.

I still want to see smarter shots though. Kronwall needs to take some lessons from Lidstrom in being patient with the puck and shooting at the right time.

I want to see how many of our PP goals came from shots from the point (either directly in or a tip-in) and how many came from down-low (passes across the goaltender for a one timer, crashing the net, etc.)
Really wish they'd find room for Almqvist for that spot. the guys we have are what they are. Almqvist seems like the most "pure" ppqb who could step in right now, though.

11-24-2013, 10:37 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Really wish they'd find room for Almqvist for that spot. the guys we have are what they are. Almqvist seems like the most "pure" ppqb who could step in right now, though.
Yea he's ready offensively, but defensively he's brutal. He's too slow and weak. I don't care how smart you all think he is, he got burnt time after time because of mismatches.

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 10:41 PM
Flowah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
Yea he's ready offensively, but defensively he's brutal. He's too slow and weak. I don't care how smart you all think he is, he got burnt time after time because of mismatches.
Granted he's had like what, 1-2 games up? But I don't remember being being that bad. And it's not like he's competing against defensive stalwarts on our roster. Is he really going to be a step down from Kindl or Quincey?

Of course I also don't think he's shown that he's absolutely ready. So I'm willing to wait on him a while. Ambivalent really. Wouldn't mind seeing him tried out again and don't mind him staying down.

Old
11-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Frk It
#snipequist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
The problem is:

When we fall apart, we *really* fall apart. Like we just collapse. There have been a few games now where we can win 70% of the game in terms of possession and shots and the remaining 30% is just a disaster and we end up losing. Is that on goaltending or a defense that just can't keep things calm or both?

Also we have seen a ton of good scoring chances that we just can't capitalize on. Prime example, Alfie in the slot today perfect set up for a one-timer and he passes it off and nothing even comes from it. Tatar had one the other night that was inches from going in. Zetterberg's wraparound tonight. Inches, inches all the time.
Don't forget Helm's 2 on 1 (maybe 3 on 1) where he could have just walked in and shot, but passed to the trailer, then the trailer passed back and he wasn't ready and lost the puck. So we don't even end up with a shot on goal or scoring change.

I yelled "shoot" so loud from my seat when he was skating in with the puck lol.

Old
11-24-2013, 10:51 PM
Flowah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
Don't forget Helm's 2 on 1 (maybe 3 on 1) where he could have just walked in and shot, but passed to the trailer, then the trailer passed back and he wasn't ready and lost the puck. So we don't even end up with a shot on goal or scoring change.

I yelled "shoot" so loud from my seat when he was skating in with the puck lol.
That was the Alfie shot I was talking about haha. Helm passed it to him and Alfie passed up the shot and just gave it back to Helm who wasn't ready. I wouldn't have been ready either. Perfect pass in the slot to a shooter who doesn't shoot? Crazyland.

Old
11-24-2013, 10:54 PM
Frk It
#snipequist

Quote:
That was the Alfie shot I was talking about haha. Helm passed it to him and Alfie passed up the shot and just gave it back to Helm who wasn't ready. I wouldn't have been ready either. Perfect pass in the slot to a shooter who doesn't shoot? Crazyland.
Yeah you're right, the puck did end up coming back door to Alfredsson.

But I still can't believe Helm didn't just walk it in as close as possible and shoot on that original rush.

Other than that, Helm looks like a new man this year, pretty awesome stuff.

Old
11-24-2013, 11:04 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Granted he's had like what, 1-2 games up? But I don't remember being being that bad. And it's not like he's competing against defensive stalwarts on our roster. Is he really going to be a step down from Kindl or Quincey?

Of course I also don't think he's shown that he's absolutely ready. So I'm willing to wait on him a while. Ambivalent really. Wouldn't mind seeing him tried out again and don't mind him staying down.
Or from Lashoff, who still only gets 14 minutes a night - despite averaging over 2 minutes on the PK. And I don't remember him being that bad, either. He generally knew where he needed to be and he got there. He made one bad gaf that I remember, and was left alone with two guys in front of the net for another goal against. I don't blame him for the second one, though.

The problem with Almqvist is that doesn't he have to clear waivers next year? We know what we have in Lashoff (not much) and pretty much everyone is united in wanting Quincey gone...so get the kid up now and give him a look. Maybe it's misplaced,but I have as much faith in a pairing of Almqvist-Kindl as I do in Lashoff-Kindl.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote