HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 WJC in Sweden. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-12-2013, 04:45 PM
  #351
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!
 
OttawaRoughRiderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnieboy15 View Post
So how many Canadian and Americans do you guys think will come over here? Picked up my tickets today to 5 games in the group stages, will be travelling down from Stockholm, so pumped! Hope to see a lot of you guys and maybe have a couple of beers and a good talk!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
Many.

The Destiny Tours group alone will be 520 people.
I am jealous. Soooo much fun.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is online now  
Old
11-12-2013, 05:48 PM
  #352
jktrigger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Courtice, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
Many.

The Destiny Tours group alone will be 520 people.
Don't forget Me!! You can count 4 more. Departing Toronto Dec 28th

jktrigger is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 07:28 AM
  #353
Jonnieboy15
Registered User
 
Jonnieboy15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Queensland
Country: Sweden
Posts: 230
vCash: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
Many.

The Destiny Tours group alone will be 520 people.
We'll have some good competition then eh! Sweden-Canada would be the ideal final.

We'll try to return the favor in Toronto/Montreal 2017!

Jonnieboy15 is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 09:26 AM
  #354
webnogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnieboy15 View Post

Sweden-Canada would be the ideal final.
I respectfully disagree.

webnogg is offline  
Old
11-17-2013, 09:35 PM
  #355
albertaref
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Fort McMurray AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Cash Vs Credit

So with just over a month to go wondering if I can get some feedback / advice on cash requirements in Sweden / Denmark.

Some basic questions:
Use of north american based visa?, i know we couldn't buy tickets using it but I've heard use in Sweden shouldn't be an issue
Places to get cash? I can order it in advance from my bank here but then face traveling with significant amounts of cash vs do NA debit cards work in local ATM's
Things that are expected to be cash only? Beer at the rink, taxi's etc This would give a good guide on how much cash to have at any given time.

albertaref is offline  
Old
11-18-2013, 12:05 AM
  #356
GoLeafsGo96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 500
Fired up to head down with Destiny Tours December 24th (Christmas Eve). First trip out of North America, and first plane flight.

Anyway, everyone keeps telling me to beware of pickpockets in Malmo, and other crimes. Are they ****ing with me?

Not sure how to deal with the money situation either. Debit + ATMs? It'll be me and one friend, and we're both just seventeen

Nervous to say the least..

GoLeafsGo96 is offline  
Old
11-18-2013, 04:01 AM
  #357
BOB3000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
You can get money/exchange at "FOREX"

FOREX RATES

As of using Master Card/VISA you should be fine. Almost everybody accept cards these days.

American Express is also widly accepted.

I dont know how the buss-system works but sometimes its more affordable to buy tickets in lets say "PRESSBYRÅN", Pressbyrån(Its like 7/11) is located everywhere and shouldnt be that hard to find.

BOB3000 is offline  
Old
11-18-2013, 07:33 AM
  #358
Tomas W
Registered User
 
Tomas W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo96 View Post
Fired up to head down with Destiny Tours December 24th (Christmas Eve). First trip out of North America, and first plane flight.

Anyway, everyone keeps telling me to beware of pickpockets in Malmo, and other crimes. Are they ****ing with me?

Not sure how to deal with the money situation either. Debit + ATMs? It'll be me and one friend, and we're both just seventeen

Nervous to say the least..
Pickpockets loves tourists as they often walk around with a lot of cash, plus they are more distracted from the fact that they are in an unfamiliar enviroment. Many of the thiefs arent Swedish even, there is a lot of criminals from other european countries that operates in Swedish Cities. Still of course you have to be unlucky for these things to happen.

Tomas W is offline  
Old
11-18-2013, 11:04 AM
  #359
JJTT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo96 View Post
Fired up to head down with Destiny Tours December 24th (Christmas Eve). First trip out of North America, and first plane flight.

Anyway, everyone keeps telling me to beware of pickpockets in Malmo, and other crimes. Are they ****ing with me?

Not sure how to deal with the money situation either. Debit + ATMs? It'll be me and one friend, and we're both just seventeen

Nervous to say the least..
Mälmö has some bad areas you should avoid but getting robbed or beaten up in city center or near the arena's during day is very unlikely.

You can pay with Visa everywhere so no need to carry around lot of money with you.

JJTT is offline  
Old
11-18-2013, 09:28 PM
  #360
jktrigger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Courtice, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertaref View Post
So with just over a month to go wondering if I can get some feedback / advice on cash requirements in Sweden / Denmark.

Some basic questions:
Use of north american based visa?, i know we couldn't buy tickets using it but I've heard use in Sweden shouldn't be an issue
Places to get cash? I can order it in advance from my bank here but then face traveling with significant amounts of cash vs do NA debit cards work in local ATM's
Things that are expected to be cash only? Beer at the rink, taxi's etc This would give a good guide on how much cash to have at any given time.
North american credit cards will work just let your bank know you intend to use it in europe. We decided to take some cash which we have already switched to swedish kroner. i am also using debit card to withdraw from atm, no problem, make sure debit card has only 4 digit code. you must withdraw from a chequing acct. not a savings account.

jktrigger is offline  
Old
11-19-2013, 09:56 AM
  #361
Pgust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 271
vCash: 500
C'mon guys, you make it sound like Bronx or something. It is just a bunch of 15-18 years old wannabe gangsters who hang out in the "bad" areas.

I hope you all that are going will enjoy your stay in Copenhagen/Malmö! Will leave you with a few beautiful pictures from Malmö!

From above:

http://litefranovan.se/wp-content/up...-hamnen-61.jpg

Malmö Arena:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ESC2013_01.jpg

Öresundsbron (bridge between Malmö and Copenhagen):

http://data.oresundsbron.com/image/p...2002111964.jpg

Pgust is offline  
Old
11-19-2013, 03:08 PM
  #362
FlutteringSaucer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
Hi guys,

Which end does the visiting team attack in 1st and 3rd period on Malmö Arena? Can't find the information on ticketmaster... Is the A1/A20 good if I want to sit in Finland's attacking end in e.g. SWE-FIN match?

FlutteringSaucer is offline  
Old
11-19-2013, 08:34 PM
  #363
webnogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktrigger View Post
North american credit cards will work just let your bank know you intend to use it in europe. We decided to take some cash which we have already switched to swedish kroner. i am also using debit card to withdraw from atm, no problem, make sure debit card has only 4 digit code. you must withdraw from a chequing acct. not a savings account.
I definitely agree with most of the above. But wow, there are some younger and/or inexperienced travelers on this trip! Ok, well, here's my free travel class, with the caveat that as an American my accounts are with American companies so you Canadians may have some differences.

I'm usually out of the country at least once a year. Mostly Europe, some Asia and Latin America. For the past 8 years or so, I've never felt the need to acquire local currency before arriving. I get off the plane, find the closest ATM in the airport, and take out local currency there. It's never been a problem for me, and ATMs in the country give you the best exchange rates. I would avoid going to those foreign currency counters/stores you'll see in the airports, or bother with exchanging money before you go, unless you just want the peace of mind. It will definitely be more expensive than going to an ATM once you land. As was suggested above, make sure you have a 4-digit PIN and make sure your money is in a checking account.

I try to take out only a bit of cash at a time as ATMs are plentiful in European cities, but of course your bank may change you fees. I have a bank in the US that will reimburse me other bank's fees so not a problem for me. If that weren't the case and I was paying massive fees, I'd probably take out larger sums of money each time. Up to you.

That's how I get cash. But honestly, I try to pay with a credit card for every transaction I possibly can. Three reasons. First, the exchange rate is usually pretty good. Second, as a security/safety measure, I'd rather not be removing cash from my wallet, stumbling with bills to figure out what's a $5 and what's a $100, and letting other people see how much money I have in cash. Put down the Visa or MasterCard and no one sees my cash. Third, rewards points! But of course, that matters on what kind of card you have. One important note: many credit cards charge a bullcrap "foreign transaction fee" of 1% - 3% of the transaction. It's a nothing fee, made up to take your money. If I had to pay that, I'd be more hesitant about using a credit card all the time. You still have over a month before leaving, so call the credit card company and see what your fee is. If it's not 0%, think about getting a new card for this trip that has no foreign transaction fees. For you Canadians, google for example the Amazon.ca Visa from Chase.

Absolutely, positively the most important piece of advice: CALL YOUR BANK AND CREDIT CARD COMPANIES BEFORE YOU LEAVE. Let them know where you're going and when. If not, they'll cut off your card thinking it's stolen. That's not a good situation to be in.

Also, this may be obvious, but just in case: Danish money is not interchangeable with Swedish money. If you plan to visit Copenhagen in anything more than a cursory way, you'll need both.

Lastly, for the guys, keep you wallet in your front pocket (or a zippered coat pocket), not your back pocket. Best way to avoid pickpockets. For women, get a purse with a larger strap you can put over your head and across your body, not something you have to hold in your hand the whole time. Best way to avoid getting it snatched.

webnogg is offline  
Old
11-20-2013, 05:37 AM
  #364
Tomas W
Registered User
 
Tomas W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by webnogg View Post
I definitely agree with most of the above. But wow, there are some younger and/or inexperienced travelers on this trip! Ok, well, here's my free travel class, with the caveat that as an American my accounts are with American companies so you Canadians may have some differences.

I'm usually out of the country at least once a year. Mostly Europe, some Asia and Latin America. For the past 8 years or so, I've never felt the need to acquire local currency before arriving. I get off the plane, find the closest ATM in the airport, and take out local currency there. It's never been a problem for me, and ATMs in the country give you the best exchange rates. I would avoid going to those foreign currency counters/stores you'll see in the airports, or bother with exchanging money before you go, unless you just want the peace of mind. It will definitely be more expensive than going to an ATM once you land. As was suggested above, make sure you have a 4-digit PIN and make sure your money is in a checking account.

I try to take out only a bit of cash at a time as ATMs are plentiful in European cities, but of course your bank may change you fees. I have a bank in the US that will reimburse me other bank's fees so not a problem for me. If that weren't the case and I was paying massive fees, I'd probably take out larger sums of money each time. Up to you.

That's how I get cash. But honestly, I try to pay with a credit card for every transaction I possibly can. Three reasons. First, the exchange rate is usually pretty good. Second, as a security/safety measure, I'd rather not be removing cash from my wallet, stumbling with bills to figure out what's a $5 and what's a $100, and letting other people see how much money I have in cash. Put down the Visa or MasterCard and no one sees my cash. Third, rewards points! But of course, that matters on what kind of card you have. One important note: many credit cards charge a bullcrap "foreign transaction fee" of 1% - 3% of the transaction. It's a nothing fee, made up to take your money. If I had to pay that, I'd be more hesitant about using a credit card all the time. You still have over a month before leaving, so call the credit card company and see what your fee is. If it's not 0%, think about getting a new card for this trip that has no foreign transaction fees. For you Canadians, google for example the Amazon.ca Visa from Chase.

Absolutely, positively the most important piece of advice: CALL YOUR BANK AND CREDIT CARD COMPANIES BEFORE YOU LEAVE. Let them know where you're going and when. If not, they'll cut off your card thinking it's stolen. That's not a good situation to be in.

Also, this may be obvious, but just in case: Danish money is not interchangeable with Swedish money. If you plan to visit Copenhagen in anything more than a cursory way, you'll need both.

Lastly, for the guys, keep you wallet in your front pocket (or a zippered coat pocket), not your back pocket. Best way to avoid pickpockets. For women, get a purse with a larger strap you can put over your head and across your body, not something you have to hold in your hand the whole time. Best way to avoid getting it snatched.
Yeah, the banks (and such) loves to make up fees to cover "costs" that actually don't exist. :/ Damn robbers those bankers.

Tomas W is offline  
Old
11-20-2013, 09:49 AM
  #365
sirjohnkickass
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktrigger View Post
Don't forget Me!! You can count 4 more. Departing Toronto Dec 28th
As a Canadian currently living in Sweden, you will have no problem with your North American credit card as long as you inform your company that you will be in Europe during the tournament. I rarely take out cash as it seems like everywhere accepts Visa.

The public transit will be your most cost effective way to get around and it is quite easy to use and Sweden, like other countries in Europe has a much better public transit system than Canada. Cabs are very expensive here and I very rarely use them.

I also have 5 friends leaving the same day from Toronto and have tickets to all of Canada's game other than the game vs. Germany and have tickets to the QF, SF and bronze/gold. It should be quite the tourney.

sirjohnkickass is offline  
Old
11-20-2013, 10:33 PM
  #366
Jonnieboy15
Registered User
 
Jonnieboy15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Queensland
Country: Sweden
Posts: 230
vCash: 456
I know that there will be places that doesn't accept American Express, but as long as you have Visa or Mastercard you wont have a problem anywhere as almost every place you will go accept cards. Does anyone know how the rebuilt Malmö Isstadion looks like? I'll be going for 2 games there would be nice too see how it looks after the rebuild!

Jonnieboy15 is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 10:34 AM
  #367
herrington2828
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
Three Canucks 25 y/o coming from Newmarket (near Toronto) for this one!

Lets get serious - forget all the VISA info - where is the best place to drink and party in Malmo?

herrington2828 is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 11:50 AM
  #368
JJTT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrington2828 View Post
Three Canucks 25 y/o coming from Newmarket (near Toronto) for this one!

Lets get serious - forget all the VISA info - where is the best place to drink and party in Malmo?
http://wikitravel.org/en/Malm%C3%B6

JJTT is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 03:27 PM
  #369
Eidyia
Registered User
 
Eidyia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrington2828 View Post
Three Canucks 25 y/o coming from Newmarket (near Toronto) for this one!

Lets get serious - forget all the VISA info - where is the best place to drink and party in Malmo?
Copenhagen.

Eidyia is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 04:44 PM
  #370
herrington2828
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
Thanks for the link. BEST SITE EVER! and yes, spending 3 days in copen as well

herrington2828 is offline  
Old
11-25-2013, 10:39 AM
  #371
Harvey Specter
Boooooone
 
Harvey Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oxford-Malmö-Sydney
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,134
vCash: 50
Can someone who's been to Malmö Stadium tell me if seats in the D33/D44 area are any good? The angle looks good but I'm not sure how far back/up they are and whether you can see the game well enough. Looking to book a couple tickets to the semis.

Harvey Specter is offline  
Old
11-25-2013, 11:33 AM
  #372
Jonimaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lund
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by M27 View Post
Can someone who's been to Malmö Stadium tell me if seats in the D33/D44 area are any good? The angle looks good but I'm not sure how far back/up they are and whether you can see the game well enough. Looking to book a couple tickets to the semis.
D33 is pretty good. You'll have a good view over the entire ice.

Jonimaus is offline  
Old
11-25-2013, 03:35 PM
  #373
Macman
Registered User
 
Macman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,395
vCash: 500
I'm thinking of going and am wondering if I need to buy tickets for Canada's prelim games ahead of time or wait until I get there. I know the stadium they're playing in is the smaller rink. Anyone know how the tickets are selling for their games?

Macman is offline  
Old
11-25-2013, 07:20 PM
  #374
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I'm thinking of going and am wondering if I need to buy tickets for Canada's prelim games ahead of time or wait until I get there. I know the stadium they're playing in is the smaller rink. Anyone know how the tickets are selling for their games?
You can find it here:
http://www.ticnet.se/artist/world-ju...m_header_lang4

Looks like the best seats against Czechs and USA are getting sold, but just to get tickets shouldn't be a problem, I don't think we'll see sellouts in that arena.

joe89 is offline  
Old
11-26-2013, 12:07 PM
  #375
Jonnieboy15
Registered User
 
Jonnieboy15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Queensland
Country: Sweden
Posts: 230
vCash: 456
Anyone that knows if row 1 is good seats in Malmö Isstadion? Will you sit by the glass or will there be a gap between the stands and the ice?

Jonnieboy15 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.