HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Weather Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2013, 10:56 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Winters make a huge difference on snow. Starting and stopping on ice aren't really too much different, but you have so much more lateral control. Studs are awesome to have in this current weather and the mountains, but generally are overkill in edmonton.

I can go the speed limit with studs on at all times unless it's whiteout conditions and I'm out-driving my headlights.

For all worried about the noise with studded: my hakkepillita (sp?) 7 tires sound like they're on gravel when I hit dry roads. Most good companies have fixed the noise issue.

Last edited by T-Funk: 11-18-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old
11-18-2013, 11:20 PM
RKD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
you enjoy shoveling snow, driving in snow and brushing off the snow after 15 cm falls?
me? my arms are tired already from shoveling and I hate the drivers on the road when it snows...so many potential accidents
I love driving in snow. Commuting in snow during rush hour is another matter, haha.

I wish I was boarding right now. The powder in the mountains has been awesome.

11-21-2013, 10:13 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park
4:55 AM MST Thursday 21 November 2013
Snowfall warning for
City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park issued

10 to 20 cm of snow by Friday morning.

A frontal system in British Columbia will move eastward into Northwestern Alberta today. Snow has begun this morning near the BC border and will spread eastwards throughout the day. General amounts of 10 to 20 cm of snow are expected, however heavy bands of snow are likely to develop, which may locally produce higher amounts of snow up to 30 cm.

At this time, the town of Peace River is not expected to receive heavy snow, however towns to the south can expect 10 cm or more.

Snow will taper off Friday morning as the system weakens

Another big Snow event.

Old
11-21-2013, 10:21 AM
fysloc

So your saying I should have stayed home instead of coming to work and now struggle with the snow when its time to go home.

Old
11-21-2013, 10:26 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

the good news its back above zero by saturday

Old
11-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
the good news its back above zero by saturday
I have a funny feeling ALOT of Xmas lights will go up this weekend.

Old
11-21-2013, 10:51 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Yay....move snow....it is already knee high out here and the kids just got back to school after back to back snow days.

11-21-2013, 11:47 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
Yay....move snow....it is already knee high out here and the kids just got back to school after back to back snow days.
How the hell is there so many snow days? We never got any like this when I was young. I don't think I ever had one to be honest. We get 4 inches of snow and -20 and it's no school?

People are getting weak in this province.

This isn't exactly directed at you. I've been a few places around the province the past two weeks and I'm hearing about snow days a lot.

Last edited by joestevens29: 11-21-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old
11-21-2013, 11:50 AM
Ghostbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
How the hell is there so many snow days? We never got any like this when I was young. I don't think I ever had one to be honest. We get 4 inches of snow and -20 and it's no school?

I didn't even know snow days existed in Alberta.

People need to suck it up.

Old
11-21-2013, 11:56 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
I didn't even know snow days existed in Alberta.

People need to suck it up.
I know out in the rural areas they use to shut buses down if it was minus 30 or something. But snow never was the issue, it was the cold and being broke down miles from civilization. I kinda thought with cell phones that they'd change that rule, but don't know if they did or not.

Old
11-21-2013, 11:59 AM
Dabomb

I find it kinda humourous that the week Bryz lands in Edmonton, its the coldest week of this year's winter so far. I believe with windchills, it got down to -32 the other day too. Welcome to North Pole Ilya!

Old
11-21-2013, 12:00 PM
The Head Crusher

Quote:

This isn't exactly directed at you. I've been a few places around the province the past two weeks and I'm hearing about snow days a lot.
Quote:
I know out in the rural areas they use to shut buses down if it was minus 30 or something. But snow never was the issue, it was the cold and being broke down miles from civilization. I kinda thought with cell phones that they'd change that rule, but don't know if they did or not.
-35 now, used to be -40 when I was in school. The main issue was the road conditions and the cold. The highways were icy and the gravel road were not plowed yet. Monday we had 1 bus get stuck and was an hour and a half later while all the others were 30 minutes late because they had to wait for stragglers at the transfer station. We were also at below -35 yesterday morning.

Old
11-21-2013, 12:01 PM
LTIR

vCash: 638
Quote:
snow days? Hopefully you are getting that info from a source other than your kids

Old
11-21-2013, 12:02 PM
The Head Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
snow days? Hopefully you are getting that info from a source other than your kids
I am a teacher

Old
11-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Snow days and the concept originated due to very inclement weather and from a time when kids walked to school rather than being driven. Today snow days occur more through the busses not getting through and representing hazards on the road.

So unlike today dealing with the elements was an actual thing in the past.

As an elementary kid I remember quite a few walks to school through waist high snow. To a school that was either packed or had a lot of people missing depending on overall temp and conditions, For instance 30below and a blizzard.

One of the things I found is its easy enough for a kid to not always know where the sidewalk stops and the road is. Being short in stature the point of reference isn't all that great. Plus that if your head is poking out of piled up snow in blizzard conditions the wind and driving snow is right in your face in a blizzard with it sometimes being difficult to see. Plus that piled up blizzard snow is HARD and you have to force yourself through that. When you're just heavy enough to sink to the bottom, but not strong as an adult its a whole different thing forging through waist high snow. People weren't so faithful at shoveling snow back in the day either.

So yeah, we had occasional snow days and I remember those more than any day ever spent at school.

Let em stay home, its what memories are made of. For a kid one of the wonders of being here and living here is the memorable weather we get.

Old
11-21-2013, 12:06 PM
fysloc

I thought school days in Alberta only apply to rural areas where it would be dangerous for a school bus to go on the highway?

In the city, there are no school days except for 2 schools that always have them for no reason, but those I believe were catholic schools and not public schools.

Old
11-21-2013, 12:13 PM
The Head Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysloc View Post
I thought school days in Alberta only apply to rural areas where it would be dangerous for a school bus to go on the highway?

In the city, there are no school days except for 2 schools that always have them for no reason, but those I believe were catholic schools and not public schools.
Not sure what Edmonton Public or Catholics policy is but I live/work outside of Edmonton. As I recall though they closed when we hit that -50 span back in 08 or 09 I believe.

Old
11-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Not sure what Edmonton Public or Catholics policy is but I live/work outside of Edmonton. As I recall though they closed when we hit that -50 span back in 08 or 09 I believe.
I work in the Public School Board. I don't recall one day where the students didn't have to come to school. I don't even recall one day I didn't have to come to the school.

Edit - One Head Custodian I know one time told me one winter in the 80's, the snow was all the way up to the roof of the school, yet, they still had school. So he dug tunnels for the kids to go through and cleared the door completely.

Last edited by Paralyzer: 11-21-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old
11-21-2013, 12:40 PM
The Head Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
I work in the Public School Board. I don't recall one day where the students didn't have to come to school. I don't even recall one day I didn't have to come to the school.
Teachers and staff still have to come, schools still open, but the buses don't run. The only way the school closes is if we are physically not able to hold classes like during a power outage or if the water or sewer pipes burst (has happened).

Old
11-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Teachers and staff still have to come, schools still open, but the buses don't run. The only way the school closes is if we are physically not able to hold classes like during a power outage or if the water or sewer pipes burst (has happened).
Yeah that I can see, but even the buses still ran in Edmonton lol. Just crazy what people do in weather like this.

Old
11-21-2013, 01:01 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post

Edit - One Head Custodian I know one time told me one winter in the 80's, the snow was all the way up to the roof of the school, yet, they still had school. So he dug tunnels for the kids to go through and cleared the door completely.
But that was back when you had to walk uphill to school and uphill back home.

Old
11-21-2013, 01:04 PM
joestevens29

On a more serious note for the love of god turn your lights on when you get into the vehicle. This new technology doesn't seem to turn light on during the day when snow is blowing around. A good 8 out of 10 people don't have their tail lights on out there and this is not a good thing. It's not like 20 years ago where if you left your lights on you were screwed, there is generally beeping noises if your lights are on and the vehicle is off.

Old
11-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

So I came to the school I work at today to do snow removal at 6:15-6:30, expecting the worst, when I got there, there was about MAYBE 5 cm at the most. I was expecting about 25-30 cm. Well, at least I am not killing myself this morning.

Old
11-29-2013, 07:10 PM
oilersfan11

City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park
4:39 PM MST Friday 29 November 2013
Winter storm watch for
City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park issued

Winter storm with heavy snow and blowing snow starting Sunday.

The potential for severe winter weather exists over these regions.

An intense winter storm is forecast to develop and move into British Columbia on Sunday. Associated with this system, snow at times heavy will spread into Northwestern Alberta early Sunday morning. As the storm winds up, it will track southeastward into Central Alberta by Sunday evening and continue into Southern Alberta overnight. Total snowfall amounts by Tuesday morning will generally exceed 10 cm. Meanwhile areas in Central and Southern Alberta, especially those regions close to the foothills, could see more than 30 cm.

In the wake of the storm system on Monday, strong northerly winds will develop and usher in cold Arctic air. Winds gusting above 60 km/h will produce extensive blowing snow over Central and Southern Alberta. Over open areas including Major Highways, visibilities will deteriorate to blizzard conditions where travel would not be advised.

As the Arctic high builds into the province on Tuesday, winds will diminish gradually from the north and temperatures will drop to near minus twenty.

At this time the track of the storm system and amount of heavy snow and blowing snow is uncertain. As the arrival of the storm nears and the situation becomes clearer, warnings will be issued as necessary.

A winter storm watch is an alert of the potential development of severe winter weather. Persons in or near these areas should be prepared for developing adverse weather conditions and should listen for updated watches and possible warnings

Old
11-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
Only another year of this crap for me until I am able to spend 6 months of the year in SoCal during Alberta winters. Counting down the days.

Closed Thread