HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Stars owner looking to cut expenses, may result in loss of pxp Strangis

Old
11-21-2013, 12:34 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Stars owner looking to cut expenses, may result in loss of pxp Strangis

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/11...ould.html?rh=1

Quote:
The problem: Team owner Tom Gaglardi wants to reduce expenses, and unfortunately for Mr. Strangis this includes his price tag. The haggling could lead to the Stars breaking up their most famous duo — Ralph and Razor.

The Dallas Stars recently gave Strangis’ broadcast partner, Daryl “Razor” Reaugh, a long-term extension. It would be odd for a franchise that actively promotes “Ralph and Razor” to end their partnership, but that scenario is on the table. Basically, the Stars’ actions say they like Razor more than they like Ralph.
Current contract expires July 1, 2014.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

Any idea what play-by-play guys typically get? I really have no idea what a typical salary or range of salaries for these guys might be.

The only high profile media contract dispute I can remember in hockey recently was Ron MacLean at HNiC and CBC eventually caved. He's not a PxP guy though, and he's a national rather than local guy.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 10:52 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
This is a pretty touchy subject for Stars fans. There was an earlier article that had some pretty powerful mudslinging by both sides:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...ract-talks.ece

Quote:
Jim Lites, the Stars president, says he has a handshake agreement with Reaugh on a new deal. Strangis is another story.

Lites and Strangis haven’t talked in months. Lites says he has made an offer. Strangis said he has received nothing in writing, and despite repeated requests, he’s still waiting.

“I fear that Ralph might decide to go somewhere else,” Lites said over the phone during the Stars' Canadian road trip. “I’m patiently waiting for him to come to his senses.”

Said Strangis, in his 24th season with the franchise that he accompanied from Minnesota in 1993, “I always believed I would finish my professional broadcasting career with the Dallas Stars but they’ve made me no written offer. With Razor apparently having been given his extension and Jim making no official offer to me, what conclusion would you draw?”
Quote:
Strangis remains miffed because he believes Reaugh has for years made more money and again was offered a sweeter deal. He wants to be more equally compensated.
Quote:
Lites said that before owner Tom Gaglardi bought the team out of bankruptcy in 2011, he commissioned an extensive cost study analysis.

When the new owner learned how much money his broadcasters were earning, he asked his president to find cheaper alternatives.

Lites said he assured Gaglardi that his broadcasters, who are beloved by Stars fans, were worth their money. Two months into his stewardship, Lites recalls Gaglardi telling him “Ralph and Razor are great.”

But apparently business is business.

Lites said he believes Ralph and Razor, whose simulcast is heard on television and radio, “are the highest paid tandem in the league.” He pegged Strangis as the third-highest paid play-by-play voice.”

Strangis begged to disagree about his own ranking although in much stronger terms.
That was last week, so not sure if anything's changed. The wording on the most recent article makes it sound like they're at least negotiating again.

Dallas doesn't have a huge TV deal, but Ralph and Razor are an integral part of this team. It'd be a huge blow to lose Ralph.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
Any idea what play-by-play guys typically get? I really have no idea what a typical salary or range of salaries for these guys might be.

The only high profile media contract dispute I can remember in hockey recently was Ron MacLean at HNiC and CBC eventually caved. He's not a PxP guy though, and he's a national rather than local guy.
Dallas ones probably make a lot more than regular local commentators.

The average is probably a hundred thousand plus travel expenses, if I had to make an uneducated guess.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 12:57 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Dallas ones probably make a lot more than regular local commentators.

The average is probably a hundred thousand plus travel expenses, if I had to make an uneducated guess.
This situation is similar when the Penguins lost Mike Lange (for different reasons). I also speculate that those guys make more towards $300K than 100K and are more likely compensated like local news anchors (who make way more money than you would think). It is a tough job IMO to travel around NA on a nightly basis for most of the year. I can't imagine the amount of prep that goes into a broadcast.

To me, the PbP guys make the broadcasts interesting to all hockey fans, not just fans of the team.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote