HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Game #23 | Thursday, November 21, 2013 | Hurricanes @ Red Wings | 7:30 PM, FSD

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2013, 01:08 PM
JAS 39 Gripen

vCash: 500
Bet Detroit lose by 3. Yeah, Im THAT guy

Old
11-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Datsyuk's job tonight is to shut down Erik Staal. Doesn't matter who his wingers are. Shut Staal down, you shut the hurricanes down.

Mule-Z-Nyquist will score us for a win.
Oh yeah, I forgot- the Wings pay him $6.7M a year to be a Russian Kris Draper

Pretty sure the Canes are thinking "shut down D & Z, you shut the Wings down."

And Babs already did half of the heavy lifting for them with Pavel's line.

Old
11-21-2013, 01:13 PM
lilidk

so , we're going to see Swedish 5 finally.

Old
11-21-2013, 01:18 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
I'm pretty sure Ted Lindsay would be a better linemate than Dan Cleary with those two.

That's the first thing I saw/thought as well.

Old
11-21-2013, 01:19 PM
lilidk

Line Cleary-Datsyuk-Bert only going to work if Cleary plays defense , to let Pavel and Tod create magic, but I think Cleary going to be place on front of the net . Abdy can do this job much better

Old
11-21-2013, 01:20 PM
Jurky
#FireHolland

As much as I would love to see Nyquist absolutely kick ass I'm half expecting him to struggle. I remember last season that in each of his call ups Gus struggled early on and I think it may have to do with Bab's chunk of cheese philosophy. It may put to much pressure on him cause he seems to play much better when he is cemented in the lineup, or at least that was the case last season.

Old
11-21-2013, 01:20 PM
Jusek19

Quote:
"(Nyquist's) job, and no different tonight if I were him, he's still allowed to go back to the minors, is be so good tonight that you put so much pressure on the coach and the manger that they have to do something about it."
- Mike Babcock
Well said. Waiting for Nyquist explosion tonight!

Old
11-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilidk View Post
Line Cleary-Datsyuk-Bert only going to work if Cleary plays defense , to let Pavel and Tod create magic, but I think Cleary going to be place on front of the net . Abdy can do this job much better
Cleary doesn't really play any "defense" He does occasionally back check well. Doesn't even play his position properly.

Old
11-21-2013, 01:33 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Datsyuk's job tonight is to shut down Erik Staal. Doesn't matter who his wingers are. Shut Staal down, you shut the hurricanes down.

Mule-Z-Nyquist will score us for a win.
That is a complete cop out Henkka and you know it.

Do you know when Datsyuk is at his best defensively? When he's able to play aggressive and play on a line that dominates the puck. The better Datsyuk is offensively the better he is defensively. That's how his game works.

Do you know what one of the many things that Dan Cleary does not excel at is? Puck possession. He's a possession killer and now Babcock has just made our best possession players' job more difficult.

Don't make excuses for it, it's stupid. Just call it for what it is for once. It's stupid. And it's just part of the reason why practically everyone who is a Detroit fan (with the exception of a rare few who make excuses) called the Dan Cleary signing stupid. Because this is what happens when a head coach isn't objective with Dan Cleary. He makes the team worse. And guess what? It's stupid. Holland's not a man for caving in and signing Cleary.

Old
11-21-2013, 01:33 PM
probertANDernie

Cleary on the top line, Pavel must have asked for him there, wait, Datsyuk's english is terrible, he said don't put him on my line, Babcock wait!

Old
11-21-2013, 01:45 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
As much as I would love to see Nyquist absolutely kick ass I'm half expecting him to struggle. I remember last season that in each of his call ups Gus struggled early on and I think it may have to do with Bab's chunk of cheese philosophy. It may put to much pressure on him cause he seems to play much better when he is cemented in the lineup, or at least that was the case last season.
Nyquist wasn't inserted with these linemates either. One good thing about Gus is he has been the primary focus of the other team for basically five years running. He has always been the biggest offensive threat on his team, whether or not you come down on the Tatar end of that discussion the other team is primarily worried about Nyquist. That should help him in this instance, as having the pressure to produce is nothing new for Gus.

I think he should get a couple games to really get comfortable we will see, but he has ideal makeup for playing with Zetterberg and Franzen, while looking comfortable with both those players in short stints previously. Now Nyquist does have insane chemistry with Tatar, but he is one of those guys that raises the game of those around him and seems to have good chemistry with everyone in that respect he has a very Zetterberg quality. Whether it is Jurco, Tatar, Andersson or Sheahan they all seem most comfortable with Gus. So that part is good, people seem to click with him no matter what.

Unfortunately they have openly attached extra pressure to him, but he is that kind of player and we want him to be a big time player so if he is what we think he is or at least I think he is he should be fine. Our coach doesn't believe vets have to do this, he only wants to apply it to younger players it is unfortunate. At least circumstances around Nyquist have allowed him to get the best shot at instant callup success than we have seen out of others that have this unreasonable expectation put on them without being put even close to a position that favors their strengths or opportunities to make it happen.

Old
11-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Pavels Dog
#Fireholland

Quote:
Originally Posted by probertANDernie View Post
Cleary on the top line, Pavel must have asked for him there, wait, Datsyuk's english is terrible, he said don't put him on my line, Babcock wait!
Some play the piano, some push the piano, Cleary pushes the piano. The wrong way.

Old
11-21-2013, 01:48 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by probertANDernie View Post
Don't know how many times we will have to cover this today, but don't think Datsyuk is the top line. Certainly it is still sickening that Cleary is in the top 6, but I don't know how you could call that our #1 line, just like Filppula - Zetterberg - Hudler was actually our #1 line several years back, both in terms of how other teams deployed their defense against it and performance 5 on 5.

Old
11-21-2013, 01:48 PM
JPE123

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Yeah that doesn't apply extra pressure, because it is Gus I am not all that worried, but I think that is a silly statement by Babcock.
Of course it's silly. Some people can have 20 bad games in a row and get promoted to 1st line. Others make one mistake and they are riding the pines. I would have said- We have great confidence in Gus's ability and he showed us last year what he can do. Now we need a guy like him to help us break out of this slump we've been in.

A little positive reinforcement. Instead we get the "grab some cheese" silliness

Old
11-21-2013, 01:56 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Don't know how many times we will have to cover this today, but don't think Datsyuk is the top line. Certainly it is still sickening that Cleary is in the top 6, but I don't know how you could call that our #1 line, just like Filppula - Zetterberg - Hudler was actually our #1 line several years back, both in terms of how other teams deployed their defense against it and performance 5 on 5.
When 13 and 40 are separated their ice time at even strength is always very similar, so calling either the top line is right and wrong. Detroit loses the 1st line/2nd line talk and becomes a team that plays 2 lines as top lines.

The big difference in the last couple of years is that Babcock has switched in the regular season and given Datsyuk the assignments against opposing top lines rather than Z. In the case of bigger, physical centers (particularly Backes), Babcock gives Z the assignment. That's been the case now at home for 2-3 years.

Regardless, the whole point is that Dan Cleary should be near neither of these lines, period.

Old
11-21-2013, 02:01 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot- the Wings pay him $6.7M a year to be a Russian Kris Draper

Pretty sure the Canes are thinking "shut down D & Z, you shut the Wings down."

And Babs already did half of the heavy lifting for them with Pavel's line.
Actually we're thinking "Please God, don't let Kronwall murder Skinner since we just got him back from his wrist injury."

Here's our lines for tonight:

Tlusty - E. Staal (C) - Skinner
Gerbe - J. Staal (A) - Dwyer
Terry - Nash - Ruutu
Bowman - Malhotra - Dvorak

Faulk - Sekera
Murphy - Gleason (A)
Hainsey - Bellemore

Peters
Ward

Our injuries:

PlayerInjuryStatusGames Missed
Jay HarrisonFluDay-to-Day1
Alexander SeminConcussionIndefinitely (Injured Reserve)1
Kevin WestgarthUpper BodyDay-to-Day9
Anton KhudobinAnkle1-2 weeks (Injured Reserve)15
Joni PitkanenHeelOut for season21

Last edited by garnetpalmetto: 11-21-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old
11-21-2013, 02:03 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Actually we're thinking "Please God, don't let Kronwall murder Skinner since we just got him back from his wrist injury."
Given where they have deployed Skinner pre-injury this year wouldn't worry much about him seeing Kronwall. More likely Smith or Kindl is the guy leaning on him as he is down the lineup.

Well now with the lineups up that does look a little more worrying, you should know Kronwall does a whole lot less of that now that he is a true #1 as Dolph is pointing out, but their losing steak has me sensing one. Teams are also getting the message finally, but he does usually ramp them up more in the second half of the season and especially playoffs, so this would be pretty early for the monster Kronwall hit and he doesn't usually do them to tiny guys, honestly he is more likely to target Tlusty or Staal. But if you look at most of his victims are not the small shifty types they are bigger players.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 11-21-2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Skinner is on the top line I guess
Old
11-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Jurky
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
I don't think you need to worry about that unless Skinner is absolutely begging to be hit (i.e. continuously heading up the boards with his head down), Kronner has laid off the big Kronwall'd hits since he took over #1D responsibilities. I think he only attempted 1 or 2 of them last season and neither landed 100% and I don't think he's even tried one so far this season (though I have missed a few games with work/school)

Old
11-21-2013, 02:10 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Given where they have deployed Skinner pre-injury this year wouldn't worry much about him seeing Kronwall. More likely Smith or Kindl is the guy leaning on him as he is down the lineup.
Unfortunately Skinner's top line tonight what with Sasha out with his concussion.

BTW if y'all are going to curb stomp us mind shipping some Buddy's Pizza down here to make up for it? Y'know just to tide us over until the local Detroit-style pizza place finally opens up?

Old
11-21-2013, 02:15 PM
JPE123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
I don't think you need to worry about that unless Skinner is absolutely begging to be hit (i.e. continuously heading up the boards with his head down), Kronner has laid off the big Kronwall'd hits since he took over #1D responsibilities. I think he only attempted 1 or 2 of them last season and neither landed 100% and I don't think he's even tried one so far this season (though I have missed a few games with work/school)
Kronwall had one lined up the other night but he backed off

Old
11-21-2013, 02:21 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPE123 View Post
Kronwall had one lined up the other night but he backed off
He bluffs them a lot more these days like you're alluding to. We cannot stomach Kronwall out really and I think he understands that, I do think he is probably due for one here soon and he will always still hunt for them in the playoffs. But like I said it is important when people bring this up to remember Kronwall almost always hits above weight class, doesn't mean he doesn't have some on smaller players, but he is kind of the reverse of Stevens in this case. Stevens of course felled Lindros, but a lot of his real bone crunching hits were on players he had a severe size advantage on, likewise Kronwall has gotten Briere and Hemsky, but he is generally hunting the Clowe, Heatley or Kesler types big guys that provide a big target, especially since he has started turning and leading with his back since rule 48, I think he knows it is much more dangerous to go for the shifty type players.

Old
11-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Flowah
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by alConn View Post
Wings 9-1

Nyquist with the Ovechtrick

Cleary scores what can only be described as an own goal to give the Canes their only goal of the game.

Personally, I wanted to see Tatar and Nyquist together to see if they could reignite that chemistry. And eventually when everyone is healthy, I hope that's what happens.

But I won't complain about him getting some time with Z.

Rather funny though, getting to start at the top rather than having to "earn it."

Old
11-21-2013, 02:50 PM
JPE123

Yep, it's a good point on Kronner. I can't remember who it was Tuesday night but Mickey even commented how Kronner had the guy all lined up and then backed off. I think he's a real intelligent player and he gets how valuable he is on the ice and not in the box. This year they the officials seem to looking for penalties even more than in previous years

Old
11-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavels Dog View Post
Some play the piano, some push the piano, Cleary pushes the piano. The wrong way.
More like Cleary has the piano fall on him and he gets up with Piano keys as teeth.

Old
11-21-2013, 03:48 PM
ThankYouBasedGod

Looking over the Hurricanes stats and their leading scorer in terms of points is Eric Staal with 12. Ouch.

Closed Thread