HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Old
11-05-2013, 01:54 PM
roffleburger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowNoMo View Post
Been trying to find a Sherwood T100 in the Smith curve, no luck so far in my city. Too expensive to order from the states.
Have it in the Coffey curve, absolutely love it. Best stick I've ever owned!

roffleburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 04:49 PM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 50
I've been using the original RBZ for a while now. Best pop i've ever gotten off a stick. Last week I picked up the original RS. Handles are unreal but I cant snap pucks like I did with the RBZ. Gonna switch back next time im on the ice. Here's the ranking of some of the sticks I have used.

RBZ

Reebok 7k Sickick. Ill never forget that twig. Absolutely loved it

Easton RS

Reebok 20k
Reebok 11k

Easton s19

kento19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Pothier

I picked up a pro stock Ribcore (maybe used 2 or 3 times) on the weekend for $50. I was a little skeptical on the curve since I've been using a P88 for the past 7 years or so but wow. I was blown away at how the puck comes off the stick. I've used it twice in pickup this week and will be using it in an actual game tomorrow. Just have to get used to receiving passes with it, it has a bit more of a toe curve than I'm used to but I'm sure it will come.

Pothier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Kyosuke

I'm torn on choosing between the three following sticks: Ribcor/EK15/APX2.
I was using the original RBZ until it broke at the heel on a backhander... So I felt like I wanted to try something new even though the RBZ had the best feel and release I have ever experienced. Has anyone tested the 3 sticks that I mentioned above and what are your takes on their durability and performance?

Kyosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Last night I went back to my 55 flex Covert DT2. I love the weight and balance of the stick, which feels feather light, and the blade is super soft and helps catch pucks.

As much as I like my other sticks, I have a problem with the puck bouncing off the blade. Last week for instance, a defenseman on the other team for some reason tried to make a stretch pass but didn't see that I was standing right in the lane. He basically passed the puck to me in his zone with a clear lane to the net. I saw the whole thing, got ready to catch pass, but it bounced off the blade and about six feet back the other way.

This doesn't happen with the Warrior stick. All last night, I was getting my stick into passing lanes, using one hand to tip pucks, catching hard passes in warmups, no issues at all.

Of course, with the incredible whippy flex, I have a real problem with accuracy and missing the net. But last night I decided to take half slappers instead of leaning into them, and it worked out. My shots were hitting the net a lot more and still had a decent amount of pop to them. With my wrist/snap shots, I tried to lean in less and just let my hands do the work. Again, worked out much better.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 01:02 PM
nycpunk1

Finally took a saw to my sticks yesterday. Cut a cheap wooden stick way down as a guide/practice, then had a go on my composites.

Definitely noticed the length change at stick practice last night. I'll admit, I was hoping it would be an "Ahh, that's better" situation. But a transition period makes more sense when I think about it. Doesn't help that I was skating against a couple of teenagers.

nycpunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
I really like my Mako 2, but I find myself going back to my Dolomite DD all the time, somehow it feels better.

Will try to pick up their new Covert DT3LT to have a 'low price' stick that I like. Still dreading the day my nice stick snaps. The low kick might suit me a bit better too with a flatter curve. The E28 might be a bit too much for me to handle for the time being.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've never been happy with any price point stick I purchased. Considering most of them were bought at or near full price, I've always wished I just saved my money.

Old
11-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Stickchecked

I searched this thread and google, but I can't find the answer. What exactly is a price point stick?

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
I think he a word.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 05:09 PM
TheSilverSkeeter

vCash: 1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
I searched this thread and google, but I can't find the answer. What exactly is a price point stick?
Put simply, pricepoint sticks are those which are priced between $40-60 entry-level sticks and $250+ high-end sticks. Manufacturers drop high-end features to provide reduced prices for consumers. Pricepoints can be a decent way to get something that's better than the low-end "toy" sticks without paying top dollar.

Opinions will vary on their overall value, but in my experience (as a very average rec-leaguer), you can find pretty decent sticks in the $100-150 range.

TheSilverSkeeter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I've never been happy with any price point stick I purchased. Considering most of them were bought at or near full price, I've always wished I just saved my money.
I'd much rather buy a pro stock or older model on sale that drop down to the cheaper brand new model. I know pro stocks aren't much of an option for you, or people that need sub 80-85 flexes, but add me for another that preaches looking for last year's model on sale.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Stickchecked

Wife is heading to the States next week so I ordered one of the last Bauer Vapor X7.0 int I could find. Got it for $150 which is about as expensive as I wanted to go.

It will be my first high(er) quality stick as I currently use a Bauer Vapor X4.0 intermediate. I tried a friend's CCM RBZ and I realized what a log the 4.0 is so I'm sure I'll appreciate how light it is in comparison.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 04:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's really a treat. Anyone who plays regularly should find a way to buy at least one (nearly) high end stick, even if it's an older model. Most of us will be able to use a stick 1-2 years anyways.

Old
11-21-2013, 04:39 PM
AcidJazz

You guys have it so lucky in the US. Deals on hockey sticks are very hard to find around here. High end sticks stay at $300 and don't usually get lower than $200. That said, I'm going the states next month to get some cheap hockey gear. The Mako and Widow look nice, so I'm going back and forth between those two.

AcidJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 06:38 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidJazz View Post
You guys have it so lucky in the US. Deals on hockey sticks are very hard to find around here. High end sticks stay at $300 and don't usually get lower than $200. That said, I'm going the states next month to get some cheap hockey gear. The Mako and Widow look nice, so I'm going back and forth between those two.
Where abouts are you located? It's very easy to find great deals in the GTA.

Quote:
Wife is heading to the States next week so I ordered one of the last Bauer Vapor X7.0 int I could find. Got it for $150 which is about as expensive as I wanted to go.

It will be my first high(er) quality stick as I currently use a Bauer Vapor X4.0 intermediate. I tried a friend's CCM RBZ and I realized what a log the 4.0 is so I'm sure I'll appreciate how light it is in comparison.
Heh, adding to my point above, my store has the X7.0 INT for $20 less

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:27 PM
LarryO

To those who buy pro stock sticks, can you consistently get the same thing every time you buy a stick, or are you at the mercy of what's available on a given day and are always changing flexes and blade patterns depending on their limited availability?

Getting high quality pro stock sticks at reduced prices is great, but I know exactly what I want in a stick and would rather have consistency and predictability. I don't want to have to get accustomed to a stick with different specs each time I buy one. I wouldn't want to settle with a different flex, curve or lie just because it's cheaper. Is your fun in trying something different every time?

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 10:44 PM
FlowNoMo
GO MARLIES!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
To those who buy pro stock sticks, can you consistently get the same thing every time you buy a stick, or are you at the mercy of what's available on a given day and are always changing flexes and blade patterns depending on their limited availability?

Getting high quality pro stock sticks at reduced prices is great, but I know exactly what I want in a stick and would rather have consistency and predictability. I don't want to have to get accustomed to a stick with different specs each time I buy one. I wouldn't want to settle with a different flex, curve or lie just because it's cheaper. Is your fun in trying something different every time?
Usually when people find something they like, the next time they see the same thing available they buy it in bulk. Sports2k is a great website for this type of dealing.

FlowNoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 12:11 AM
MNjens

I only play outdoor hockey up in MN. Me and my buddies play 3 or 4 times a week. Started buying nicer composite sticks once we got better. Bought an 11k for 130 bucks. Top of the line stick 3 or 4 years a go and I love it. A lot more durable then I thought they would be. Been using the same one for a year now and have had 0 problems.

MNjens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 01:40 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Also confused. Price point technically is just a point on a price scale. $20, 50, 100, 300, 1000 it does really matter.

I assumed they were referring to cheap end sticks.

Still not clear.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 08:48 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Also confused. Price point technically is just a point on a price scale. $20, 50, 100, 300, 1000 it does really matter.

Still not clear.
Your technical definition is right.

But when people refer to price point, they mostly refer to product below top end. You will also hear people mention top end gear as the top end pricepoint as well.

Clear?

Old
11-22-2013, 09:23 AM
AcidJazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Where abouts are you located? It's very easy to find great deals in the GTA.
Saskatchewan. SportChek sometimes has deals, but nothing even close to HockeyMonkey.com or TotalHockey.com. My LHS doesn't discount too much unless it's boxing day.

AcidJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Canadiens1958

Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post

Still not clear.
Consider expected value for each price grouping.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 10:09 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidJazz View Post
Saskatchewan. SportChek sometimes has deals, but nothing even close to HockeyMonkey.com or TotalHockey.com. My LHS doesn't discount too much unless it's boxing day.
Ahh, I see. The GTA is another animal compared to any other market.

Old
11-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Price point sticks are those that are in between the cheapest and most expensive sticks. Yeah it's not a technical definition, but it's fairly well accepted.

In generally, they are about $100-120 US. Examples include:

Bauer Vapor X80, Nexus 600, Supreme One.6
Easton V5E, Mako M2
Warrior Dynasty AX3, Covert DT4
CCM RBZ60
Reebok 16k

They aren't terrible sticks like everything you find that retails for the $50-60 range (which are heavy, have no puck feel, and have no redeeming qualities other than existing). But they are noticeably heavier than top end sticks with poor balance and I have never seen one that has even decent puck feel.

They make a decent backup stick but honestly for the money, I'd rather just buy another clearance stick. I've made the mistake a number of times of buying price points and just never like them.