HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

laraque - am i the only one?

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2004, 06:08 PM
Oilers1*

vCash: 500
I've said it before (not of these boards, but trust me), and I'll say it again: The downfall of Georges Laraque was the game against San Jose when Bryan Marchment went for Doug Weight's knees. MacT completely benched Laraque and it was up to Ethan Moreau and Doug Weight to settle the score.

I don't like to blame MacT for EVERYTHING that goes wrong with the Oilers but Laraque was never quite as effective after that and I don't blame him. What kind of message was that, exactly?

Old
01-18-2004, 06:11 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Like Barnes said...he's 27 going on 18.

I'm of the 'give him one last chance' school. If he hasn't gotten the message this time, then hasta la vista.
I feel he's already gone.

If he comes back and sucks.....we get a draft pick for him.

If he comes back and sizzles....we get 2 draft picks for him.

Old
01-18-2004, 06:12 PM
bodydrop

vCash:
that is fairly suprising to me, but to suggest that the reason is Georges is absolutely ridiculous. I dont think the two are directly correlated.

Hey I dont care if they trade him but they should do something. Georges would play on any other team in the league gauranteed. He is an NHL player and should be playing.

I for one think it's unfair of a coach to go on and on for 10 minutes about a player and then not give him a chance to come back and improve his play.

Realistically Georges is a minor problem on this pathetic team. I would rank it behind many much larger problems namely(in no particular order):
1) Ryan Smyth is on pace is on pace for only 50 points which is terrible for your supposed best player. Plus he takes idiotic penalties all the time
2) Adam Oates has been useless, he has 6 points, only 2 of which are first assists and were actually nice plays.
3) Brad Isbister is on pace for 24 points which is absolutely terrible, he is a guy who needs to produce
4) Tommy Salo, good of late but still under .900 save%. He will need to keep his current level of play going for the rest of the season for them to make the playoffs and I doubt he is capable of that.
5) Chimera/Pisani, both guys production is down from last season.
6) Eric Brewer, just got his 2nd goal of the year tonight and he is supposed to be our offensive minded defenceman
7) Dvorak, on pace for 12 goals. He's played pretty well but 12 goals is not enough from him

For the most part these are your difference makers. At best Georges should have 3-5 goals right now. No question he's having a bad year but he's definately not the biggest problem on this team.

Old
01-18-2004, 06:12 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
MacT wants him to fight and they Lowe wasnt him to be like Domi. Protect your teammates if the opposition is taking liberties and cheapshots at your teammates.

01-18-2004, 06:17 PM
bodydrop

vCash:
Domi is among the worst example of guys sticking up for their teammates.

Old
01-18-2004, 06:18 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodydrop
For the most part these are your difference makers. At best Georges should have 3-5 goals right now. No question he's having a bad year but he's definately not the biggest problem on this team.
I would agree with that. As much as we rag on him, he's just one symptom among a horde of others.

Hard to say where to begin, really.

Old
01-18-2004, 06:36 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

I think Big Georges is a significant symptom for this team's problems. BG seems loath to do what he is paid to do (intimidate, fight), talks endlessly about how he doesn't want to leave Edmonton and how he must focus and work harder ... and yet he apparently consistently leaves the ice early in warm-up and practice.

Time for B.G. to grow up and take accountability for himself. I find the work ethic issues very troublesome. If you're in the doghouse, it is time to take stock on things and work harder to earn a way out of it. B.G. seems to float around unaware until the sky falls on his head as per the latest ultimatum.

When on his game, Laraque can be a major force for this team. It is time for him to look inside and take stock of the heart and character required to play for this team (and in this league. Handholding is over...

Old
01-18-2004, 06:48 PM
bodydrop

vCash:
[QUOTE=Behind Enemy Lines]I think Big Georges is a significant symptom for this team's problems. BG seems loath to do what he is paid to do (intimidate, fight),QUOTE]

He doesn't loath fighting, he's as willing as anyone in the league. He never turns one down. He's played probably 20 healthy games and has 6 fights, thats a similar pace the the leaders in fighting majors.

Old
01-18-2004, 06:59 PM
ScreamerNM

Ya know... to tell you guys the truth, i really don;t miss him on the ice anymore..
I mean for the first 2 yrs it was great, he get on the ice, and ppl start running away from him.

Now he's on the ice, and ppl are still taking liberties...

What real use is he? I mean with Torres, Staios, Moreau, and Semenov
we can hold on for a few years till... Zack S? Isn;t he suppose to be a kid that
can hit, grind, fight? Probably knows his role as well....

Old
01-18-2004, 07:08 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

[QUOTE=bodydrop]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
I think Big Georges is a significant symptom for this team's problems. BG seems loath to do what he is paid to do (intimidate, fight),QUOTE]

He doesn't loath fighting, he's as willing as anyone in the league. He never turns one down. He's played probably 20 healthy games and has 6 fights, thats a similar pace the the leaders in fighting majors.
B.G. has fewer fights than Scott Ferguson. Yes. I said SCOTT FERGUSON, a teammate and fellow depth role player. Hockeyfights.com lists Big Georges in the top ten number of fights in two of the last four years (at #8 and #9), coming in at 11 and 13 for other years.

When he is on Big Georges can dominate a game. We've all seen flashes of this potential but it is now time to step up and earn his place (and paycheque).

Old
01-18-2004, 07:19 PM
bodydrop

vCash:
[QUOTE=but it is now time to step up and earn his place (and paycheque).[/QUOTE]

Exactly, but he cant do it from the pressbox. Give him a chance to step up his game. If he doesnt then deal him if he does then you have a guy that can make
an impact.

I apparently dont know how to use the quotes properly!

Old
01-18-2004, 09:16 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodydrop

I apparently dont know how to use the quotes properly!
Here's what you do:
[QUOTE=name of person you are quotingX the quote [/QUOTEX

Instead of the X's put close square brackets, in other words this: ]

I hope you got that, it's hard to explain without making an actual quote.

Old
01-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
[QUOTE=The Rage]Here's what you do:
Quote:
Originally Posted by name of person you are quotingX the quote [/QUOTEX

Instead of the X's put close square brackets, in other words this:

I hope you got that, it's hard to explain without making an actual quote.
Wouldn't it be better just to press the reply button under the person you want to quote.

Old
01-18-2004, 10:16 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

It kinda sucks that the Oilers have this great asset in Laraque...a big guy, the best fighter in the league, feared when on the ice, and loved when off this ice. For some reason he's decided to throw away his assets and pursue being a goal scorer...something that is out of his skill range.

I think Lowe and MacTavish needs to have a long talk with Laraque and let him know what is expected of him...and if he doesn't do it then they will be forced to trade him. An enforcer's job is to make sure nobody is taking liberties with his team's smaller players...and in Georges' case, if people aren't afraid of him anymore (knowing that they can take shots at our players without him stepping up), then Georges needs to become a bully and put the fear back into the league. He should be more of a proactive enforcer rather than a reactive one.

Old
01-19-2004, 04:07 AM
Shibumi

Wow, tough crowd in here. I agree with those who said Georges isn't the biggest problem facing the Oilers this year. Tomorrow night I hope George gets a goal, then grabs Bill Guerin and administers a beating and as he is heading off to the dressing room, grab MacT and give him a beating as well. It might knock some sense into MacT.

Old
01-19-2004, 05:59 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
I think Big Georges is a significant symptom for this team's problems. BG seems loath to do what he is paid to do (intimidate, fight), talks endlessly about how he doesn't want to leave Edmonton and how he must focus and work harder ... and yet he apparently consistently leaves the ice early in warm-up and practice.

Time for B.G. to grow up and take accountability for himself. I find the work ethic issues very troublesome. If you're in the doghouse, it is time to take stock on things and work harder to earn a way out of it. B.G. seems to float around unaware until the sky falls on his head as per the latest ultimatum.

When on his game, Laraque can be a major force for this team. It is time for him to look inside and take stock of the heart and character required to play for this team (and in this league. Handholding is over...
In all fairness though, it's not like Laraque leaves the ice early to go to the McDonalds drive thru and eats it while soaking in his hot tub...

Most times, he is off to some sort of community appearance. The guy has bitten off a bit more than he can chew, but he isn't out buying crack on the corner, or picking up a tranny hooker, or inviting little boys into his "fun room".

His priorities are a little messed up (if you can call giving everything back to a community you have lived in for only 5 years messed up), and maybe this is a lesson he can use to not only use to be a better player, but a better person in the community.

His biggest problem sounds simply like he can't say no. Sometimes you have to, but there are times when it is really hard to do so. Anyone who does any kind of volunteer work, or coaching, or anything like that, knows how it gets sometimes.

Old
01-19-2004, 05:57 PM
t0mf00lery

There is a report on Sportsnet.ca saying that Florida offered Kristian Huselius for Laraque.

Old
01-19-2004, 06:17 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerrick
There is a report on Sportsnet.ca saying that Florida offered Kristian Huselius for Laraque.
If that was offered for Laraque perhaps Lowe turned it down beacause we already have enough guys who are inconsistent and haven't proved much. Huselius is somewhat soft and he's inconsistent and we definitely don't need more players like that around here. Lowe needs to make a trade that brings back proven talent, even if it means packaging 2 or 3 players to get that type of player.

Old
01-19-2004, 06:34 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
In all fairness though, it's not like Laraque leaves the ice early to go to the McDonalds drive thru and eats it while soaking in his hot tub...

Most times, he is off to some sort of community appearance. The guy has bitten off a bit more than he can chew, but he isn't out buying crack on the corner, or picking up a tranny hooker, or inviting little boys into his "fun room".

His priorities are a little messed up (if you can call giving everything back to a community you have lived in for only 5 years messed up), and maybe this is a lesson he can use to not only use to be a better player, but a better person in the community.

His biggest problem sounds simply like he can't say no. Sometimes you have to, but there are times when it is really hard to do so. Anyone who does any kind of volunteer work, or coaching, or anything like that, knows how it gets sometimes.
Excellent post Dawgone. Well stated and well documented by Edmonton media. I re-read my original posts and realize it was stronger than intended. I really like Laraque and the complete package he brings to the team and community. However he must focus on his livelihood and looking inside to the motivation and drive that will be required to remain an Oiler.

USC Trojan also hit the nail on the head. Georges must focus on the elements of his game which got him to the show. Tough, physical, and intimidating hockey. Hard work and focus are the keys to getting back on track. Once asserted, some of the 'gravy' like goals and assist should follow.

In today's era of spoiled millionaire athletes, Georges represents much that is missing in tireless and selfless community service. Unfortunately, this pasttime has encroached on his effectiveness and success in his chosen career. Refocus, work hard, and sic him this Tuesday on Dallas.

Old
01-19-2004, 07:09 PM
Oil_in_my_veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
I think Lowe and MacTavish needs to have a long talk with Laraque and let him know what is expected of him...and if he doesn't do it then they will be forced to trade him. An enforcer's job is to make sure nobody is taking liberties with his team's smaller players...and in Georges' case, if people aren't afraid of him anymore (knowing that they can take shots at our players without him stepping up), then Georges needs to become a bully and put the fear back into the league. He should be more of a proactive enforcer rather than a reactive one.
USC Trojans, I couldn't have said it better. I've been screaming that at the TV for years now. I just wonder if BG is afraid to be a bully on the ice because of how he could be perceived off the ice. On HockeyCentral tonight they were saying how so many players are taking liberties because there's no fear anymore. I don't think George has ever put fear in the other team's eyes except for their goon's. No one really looks behind them worrying about BG flattening them, like they did with Grier. You're right he's always reactive. The lead up to George's fights look more like something out of the WWE. Wasn't the plan to have Torres stir the pot and George finish it? But now Torres is too talented to be relegated to the 4th line. Maybe it's time to get a trouble maker on this team. Maybe it's time to bring up RockyT just for a couple games? play him as a forward. just do something.

Old
01-19-2004, 07:10 PM
Dale

I know a couple of people who know him personally. A really nice guy but a social butterfly. It's not just community service, I don't count a radio show as "community service".If he spent even a tiny portion of the time he spends on the phone practicing his shot, he'd have more than a big 0 in that column. He loves to be the center of attention whether it's with fans, friends or community and he really doens't like to work.

He is lazy to a fault. Most hockey players would do anything to get more ice time. Georges is "content" to help out the team any way he can, including sitting on the bench or in the pressbox. He honestly doesn't mind. He has stated that if that's how the coaches want to use him he's OK with that cause he's a "team" guy.He has rarely put in extra time into practice to hone his skills because he truely doesn't think his job on the team requires that of him. He just has to show up and "be" one of the toughest guys in the league-he's so tough he doesn't even have to prove it anymore. He believes the Oilers need him whether he scores. Why would he work hard in practice if that is his way of thinking?

One of the people I know said the guys in the dressing room find his "just a big kid" attitude irritating. It's definately wearing thin with any Oilers who take the team seriously, work hard themselves and want the team to really succeed.

How do you motivate someone like Georges? Benching doesn't work. He doesn't mind. The pressbox doesn't work. He doesn't mind. Besides, the club has protected him by using injury as an excuse.For some of the time perhaps, but if it was another player they would have been called a healthy scratch.

Laraque has not matured in all of the many years he's been with the team. Some things you just can't change.

Old
01-19-2004, 07:17 PM
Master Lok

Good posts Dawgbone and BEL. Agreed, Laraques is the community dude. but that doesn't help out on the ice when the Oilers really need him to.

Count me in the crowd of keep Laraques. There's not too many enforcers who are capable of skating with the Oil. There are two problems I have with BG:
1) He makes too much money for his current role as enforcer. He doesn't have the stats to back up his 1.25 million salary.
2) Intimidation. I don't want him to fight just the big boys in the League. I want him to impose his will on a game. In a game against the Avs, I want him to knock Selanne on his butt. Pound Forsberg into the boards and glare at him when he's looking up. Then when Peter Worrell comes out to take care of business, fight him. If the team doesn't have a Laraques or Worrell ranked fighter, then too bad. BG should be rubbing his big mitt into the faces of Lecavalier's and the Datsyuks and the Rick Nash's of the world and make them focus more on BG than on scoring.

If he can get those stars off their game, then I won't care if he only scores 5 goals a season. He would have done his job. For every fan who believes that there's no longer a place for an enforcer in the game, BG should be a counter argument and show what intimidation means in a game.

Old
01-22-2004, 12:52 PM
PineJockey

This thread is getting to long to go through - was this SportsNet shorty discussed?
I wonder if Huselius was really offered. The interesting line is how Low is "known around the league for overvaluing his players"

Asking price too high for Laraque (http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/hearsay.jsp)
Jan. 19 @ 9:20 AM
Considered the top heavyweight in the league, Georges Laraque has fallen into Edmonton coach Craig MacTavish's doghouse. So don't be surprised if his name surfaces a lot in trade rumours before the March 9 deadline, writes Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun.
According to Garrioch's sources, the Oilers tough guy almost became a Senator last month. However, Edmonton was apparently asking for too much in return. Sources say Edmonton GM Kevin Lowe, who is known around the league for overvaluing his players, wants a young prospect who will be able to help right away or a winger who can score. The word is Florida offered winger Kristian Huselius.

Closed Thread