HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jonathan Ericsson close to signing an extension

Old
11-20-2013, 11:43 AM
joe89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
He's not good at anything, not bad at anything = Medicore.
This team has precious few of the know-what-you-get-types, uselessness aside.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 11:58 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Ericsson, among other valued traits, has hands-down the best stretch pass on the team. Me being a forward with speed, he's my favorite type of d-man to play with. A guy who is reliable defensively and who can hit me at the far half of neutral ice from his own zone.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Does not really fit with what Hjalmarsson and some of the other defensive D-man stalwarts are getting. It really shouldn't go higher than 4.25 million given the market.

Hjalmarsson 4.1 (Just extended)
Emelin 4.1 (just extended)
Gorges 3.9
Seidenberg 4.0 (Just extended)
Vlasic 4.25
Stuart 3.6
Hamhuis 4.5
Beauchemin 3.5

Don't see how in the world he gets to 5 million.
The problem for the Wings, and I guess for any team is that agents use comparables in a way to reflect actual assignment and ice time. If you have to use E as your #2 because you don't have a better #2, well the agent is going to want a salary reflective of league-wide #2s. There's actually quite a range of ability/talent in that group.

I'm sure they will want to lock him up for 4-5 yrs, and knowing KH, he may want an even longer deal....

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 12:01 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
The problem for the Wings, and I guess for any team is that agents use comparables in a way to reflect actual assignment and ice time. If you have to use E as your #2 because you don't have a better #2, well the agent is going to want a salary reflective of league-wide #2s. There's actually quite a range of ability/talent in that group.

I'm sure they will want to lock him up for 4-5 yrs, and knowing KH, he may want an even longer deal....
yep, that's the problem for the wings, unless ericsson is taking a discount. and i mean a real one, not the fake ones like franzen.

and knowing holland we can be sure ericsson gets a NMC, even if he didn't ask for it.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Ericsson, among other valued traits, has hands-down the best stretch pass on the team. Me being a forward with speed, he's my favorite type of d-man to play with. A guy who is reliable defensively and who can hit me at the far half of neutral ice from his own zone.

He and Kronwall both make me really nervous whenever there's action right around the net. It's like they forget everything they ever learned about positioning. He's been good in the other areas.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 12:36 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
What do you mean? Like not flashy in any one area?

Whys that even matter? Lidstrom didn't have any stand out ability. Not very fast, not the strongest, not a big shot. But that didn't matter.

Ericsson can play a lot of minutes and play sound defensively, while transitioning the puck efficiently. If he's mediocre id hate to hear what the other 3/4 of our d is.
Lidstrom was the best pp-quarterback ever, his shot had the highest accuracy that I can remember, his positioning in the D-zone was 2nd to NONE, he had LOTS he was VERY GOOD at.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
He and Kronwall both make me really nervous whenever there's action right around the net. It's like they forget everything they ever learned about positioning. He's been good in the other areas.
I think he's a very good #4 and is just as good as Stuart was for the majority of his tenure. I know what you mean about his positioning around the net. Reminds me of how Stuart used to fall down and flail around.

But while Ericsson being re-signed is great, Holland needs to dump Quincey and find another true top 4 defensemen.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 12:41 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
But while Ericsson being re-signed is great, Holland needs to dump Quincey and find another true top 4 defensemen.
preferable someone who is able to move the puck, because that's what this team is missing.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 12:46 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quincey is a prime example of what's wrong with this team. They need more puck possession and Quincey is the antithesis of that. Head down too much, too many dumps that go straight to the other team instead of finding the open man, and can't pass for **** when he does manage to look. Almost feels like he gets worse every game, but that might just be mounting frustration.

Old
11-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Flowah

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
I defended Quincey for awhile (and the trade), but I think you may be right, he is getting worse. The guy just doesn't play a smart game at all. He's done in Detroit after this year.

His passing is terrible.
He is literally *the only* defensemen that I cannot recall a single time where I've said "Damn. That was a nice pass." Ericsson makes some great outlet passes and even springs people occasionally. Kronwall of course. Kindl sometimes, and even Smith. But Quincey....

Now, I personally think he's not been *that bad* defensively at least. He's made some good plays breaking up odd man rushes and getting sticks in lanes. That's great. I think he looks better now than I ever remember him being on this team.

But if you're trying to build a puck possession team, Q is not the way to go. One of him is enough, zero would be better, but maybe that's not realistic.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Frk It
Thanks for Green!

Quote:
Lidstrom was the best pp-quarterback ever, his shot had the highest accuracy that I can remember, his positioning in the D-zone was 2nd to NONE, he had LOTS he was VERY GOOD at.
I thought maybe you were talking about physical traits, which is why I was looking for clarification.

Ericsson is very good defensively and very good at positing defensively as well.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
I love that you snuck in a scouting report on you as a player

Had you pegged as a 2-way forward, dependable but not too flashy... but now I'm totally buying you as the guy who never backchecks and instead spends your shifts cruising in the neutral zone, looking for that stretch pass to send you in on a breakaway

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 02:34 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
I love that you snuck in a scouting report on you as a player

Had you pegged as a 2-way forward, dependable but not too flashy... but now I'm totally buying you as the guy who never backchecks and instead spends your shifts cruising in the neutral zone, looking for that stretch pass to send you in on a breakaway

What is this back checking you speak of??

I saw the defensive zone once. Everything was backwards. It was weird.

Old
11-20-2013, 02:41 PM
last_sd

Quote:
Quincey is a prime example of what's wrong with this team. They need more puck possession and Quincey is the antithesis of that. Head down too much, too many dumps that go straight to the other team instead of finding the open man, and can't pass for **** when he does manage to look. Almost feels like he gets worse every game, but that might just be mounting frustration.
Which is sad since Kindl, Smith are suppose to be exactly just that.

last_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Chance on Chance

4-4.4 is a fair price for both parties. I would prefer a 4 year deal but 5 isnt the end of the world

Chance on Chance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 04:55 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
preferable someone who is able to move the puck, because that's what this team is missing.
If we replace Q on the market it better be someone proven like Girardi or Phaneuf or something like that. Otherwise we're better off bringing Backman, Ouellet, Marchenko and Sproul to camp and let one win a spot. No more short term fixes, not with what we have coming. Trading prospects for someone proven is also an option, of course.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 03:18 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
He's not good at anything, not bad at anything = Medicore.
He is a pretty good depth 2nd pairing defenceman, and those arent THAT easy to find. Hopefully DRW can resign him, otherwise they have to get a replacement which I doubt will be any cheaper.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 03:47 AM
Syckle78

Quote:

What is this back checking you speak of??

I saw the defensive zone once. Everything was backwards. It was weird.
Sounds like a Bure quote during is time with the Panthers.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

5 years at approx 4.2 million is a good deal

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote