HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Unbreakable Stick

Old
11-21-2013, 01:56 PM
leafs1habs0
Burn the Boats

vCash: 500
The Unbreakable Stick

"The Colt"

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/t...eakable-stick/

leafs1habs0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Fanned On It

Damn. Nano-technology and hockey sticks.

If the weight/flex of the sticks remain competitive then these things will probably be pretty successful.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 03:47 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Would be willing to try it if they have my curve.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

What an idea. That would be a huge step in stick innovation.

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 05:02 PM
crazycanuck

Wow, if this is true we're talking about a product that will revolutionize hockey sticks.

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 05:49 PM
**** Farise
Can't Say Puck

What makes this so confusing to me is the material being put over the "hack zone"...which is also the flex zone...and the sticks are still good at flexing and shooting? Seems so weird. Especially after he demonstrated the same material over a ping pong ball and the ball wasn't crushed by being stepped on.

**** Farise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 05:54 PM
CarpeNoctem
TKO Time

This has basically already been shown to be a load of crap. Sticks HAVE to break at under a certain point/amount of weight or they cannot be commercially sold.

CarpeNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Seanahue

vCash: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeNoctem View Post
This has basically already been shown to be a load of crap. Sticks HAVE to break at under a certain point/amount of weight or they cannot be commercially sold.
Link?

Seanahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 06:13 PM
leafs1habs0
Burn the Boats

Quote:
The notion that sticks HAVE to break to be commercially sold sounds like more of a load of crap to me.

This guy is going to make a ******** of cash on this innovation - the only question will be how long will his company last if he doesn't need to produce on a mass scale any longer if people are retaining their lifetime unbreakable sticks.

leafs1habs0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 06:22 PM
God
Free Citizen

Pretty sure a stick has to break at some point of force for player safety. If the stick isn't breaking, then the player is.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 06:57 PM
doobie604

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Pretty sure a stick has to break at some point of force for player safety. If the stick isn't breaking, then the player is.
Have to agree, I'm sure people who played got stabbed by their stick at one point in their playing days. I believe cars crumple for the same reason.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:01 PM
TieClark

They do have to break at some point and these do, just at a far further stress point than traditional composite sticks

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:42 PM
LarryO

From what I've gathered, "over-flexing" one of these sticks will break them just like over-flexing a brand new regular stick. The difference is their durability and resistance to damage from slashing. When a normal stick breaks on a slap shot, it's usually because it was already damaged from a slash and its mechanical integrity was compromised. These sticks will have a "slash-resistant" finish, allowing them to preserve their mechanical integrity much longer.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 08:01 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Damn. Nano-technology and hockey sticks.
Don't know if you know already, but it isn't a brand-new invention to combine those two... ther was/is a brand called Montreal that used nano technology, and those sticks were pretty good. Really light and still durable. I think I had 3 or 4 of them, had to change to other brands because couldn't find them anymore.

Montreal-Tackla Hockey website

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 08:07 PM
CarpeNoctem
TKO Time

It's a clever marketing pitch... a half dozen other sticks have claimed to have legit nano-tech but in such small amounts that it could not make a difference. You can find a full break down of it on msh.

CarpeNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 02:22 PM
sanityplease

Got to wonder how that coating would work with a low flex stick (60-70). The film would have to be very flexible, & if it's flexible it couldn't be very strong.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Batarnac

So, did anyone actually tried it? Wish I learned about that kickstarter to get one for 200$ back then, but if it is really unbreakable and the weight and flex are still ok I wouldn't mind paying the 270$ for it. Still a better deal than what I currently pay going through at least 4 or 5 pro-stock sticks a year.

http://colthockey.com/shop/colt-gen-1/

Batarnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 06:00 PM
intangible

I haven't used the stick, but they seem to be overemphasizing the durability and fail to mention anything about the performance of the stick. I don't buy an RBZ because it's durable; I buy it because of its performance. Same problem as with the "All Black Hockey Stick" company who says they sell $260 sticks for $90. No you don't: you're just selling a senior type stick with zero technology for the same $90 a brand name does.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 02:32 PM
goonx

I don't see this as a viable commercial product. Bauer/Easton made sticks to be broken so you buy a new one every time. There is no incentive to make a stick "durable" other than out marketing your competitor by convincing people that your stick is "superior".

Over the playing time of a hockey player (decades), I'm sure thousands are spent on sticks alone.

Pros go through 50-60+ sticks in one year

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 10:23 PM
Blueland89

the unbreakable hockey stick!!!

http://youtu.be/owZht4eY1Bc

sorry cant figure out how to embed the video, but pretty sick

Last edited by Blueland89: 02-04-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Chip39

One of my teammates just got one. Seems to be a good idea and it's not that expensive. However one period in somebody stepped on it and put a huge gash in the blade.

Chip39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 10:27 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

My teammate has one. Aside from the unbreakable thing, it's actually a pretty solid stick.

He's an idiot though and obviously like most people would try and break it... so he's smashed it against the walls a few dozen times and there was a little piece that came off the shaft.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 08:11 AM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Farise View Post
What makes this so confusing to me is the material being put over the "hack zone"...which is also the flex zone...and the sticks are still good at flexing and shooting? Seems so weird. Especially after he demonstrated the same material over a ping pong ball and the ball wasn't crushed by being stepped on.

Different material. Nano technology. Smaller, stronger, more efficient and durable. Simple as that. Its cool.

I saw there selling it on kickstarter for a 200 donation. Cool but its prob gone already.

Going for 260 I think. If the stick feels as good as a regular 230 stick and its everything that I look for in a stick then sure.

It has a wide array of curves, check.
Idk about the weight, prob not the biggest issue. So long as its a balance weight and not bottom heavy

Thats all

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 08:21 AM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Are you one of those guys who take marketing way too literal? Do you think "Bulletproof Coffee" actually makes you bulletproof?

Of course there is a limit to how much force until the stick breaks. Of course over time and use the stick will show wear and tear. OF COURSE the stick can be cut.

The UNBREAKABLE STICK was a marketing tool and quite a good one for that matter.

I mean the ping pong ball can resist 200lbs of weight on top of it. Thats probably 10x the amount of weight a regular ball can handle.

As for the stick, the videos show the dude slamming it on the posts and the ice. No break. So I already assuming its going to be very very durable.

Thats all it is, its durable. More durable than a stick you see today. The idea is to limit the amount of sticks a player buys throughout his career. Some go through like 5 sticks a season if that. And thats amateurs.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote