HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

94 -Game 7

Old
12-27-2006, 05:51 AM
BLACKBURN

vCash: 500
94 -Game 7

Just watched it, its been a while since my last viewing. Boy has the game changed! Sure it has sped up a lot but is it just me or was the hitting, battles and general rough stuff a real entertaining part of the game that is now obselete. I saw so many hits that would have been called nowadays and it made the game so much more exciting and created momentum.

Watching the game made me appreciate that the holding really slowed the game down but the intensity, hitting and viewability is just nowhere near the level it was. (I understand this was a play-off cup final game but when was the last time we had a classic cup final?)

Does anyone else miss hitting/battles in hockey?

BLACKBURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 05:58 AM
WheresBarnaby

All the time. Take a look at just how many posts on HF are about that very topic. The game has lost something, you might be able to argue that the scoring is prettier maybe, but the game overall is less entertaining. Seems that the refs have more power than they ever have over the game.

That penalty Ward took while hitting DP last night was a perfect example. Why is it up to Ward to possibly injure himself avoiding DP last second, when it was DP who came charging out of the crease. Instead of letting his D handle it. It's B.S and it's not the way the game should be played.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 09:43 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

i'll go to my grave saying that Graves scored the winner in that game and not Mess.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN View Post
Just watched it, its been a while since my last viewing. Boy has the game changed! Sure it has sped up a lot but is it just me or was the hitting, battles and general rough stuff a real entertaining part of the game that is now obselete. I saw so many hits that would have been called nowadays and it made the game so much more exciting and created momentum.

Watching the game made me appreciate that the holding really slowed the game down but the intensity, hitting and viewability is just nowhere near the level it was. (I understand this was a play-off cup final game but when was the last time we had a classic cup final?)

Does anyone else miss hitting/battles in hockey?

Yeah, every year should be a classic & every game should be as exciting as that game 7 was !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Riddick

of all the hockey i watch, i usually find its game 6's that are more intense then game 7's, mostly because for one its a clincher and for the other its an elimination, they HAVE to go all out.

game 7's it seems like the players are a bit more cautious because they dont want to take a penalty that could put the other team on top.

but yeah, it was 94 that got me into hockey. never followed it before and i watched the entire stanley cup finals(the ny ones, the vancouver ones were too late). Too bad the NHL completely ****ed itself over by cancelling the next season. Poised for greatness, destined for mediocrity was the result(the nhl, not the rangers).

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 11:53 AM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

Yeah, every year should be a classic & every game should be as exciting as that game 7 was !
Yes, but watch any regular season game from that era and it just beats the hell out of the current product we have today. There were more open hits, more open ice, more scoring chances...the game was so much better then.

I remember watching a game a year ago and I couldnt believe all the stuff they got away with back then. Now the NHL is turning into the NBA. Touch a guy and your " fouled ".

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 12:04 PM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
I completely agree. The NHL is missing something, the intensity and grit it used to have....it's gone, the fun we used to have like back when Cloutier was in the Rangers organization and skated to length of the ice to fight Salo during the Islanders game back in '99 i believe. Or when Theo did his chicken dance routine and Sandy McCarthey was gettin in on it. I mean those little things made the game more exciting, and I miss it!!! I agree with the NHL having less stops during the games and keeping the game flow, but the officials are allowed to call everything, even little things that help the game flow.

ya think we'll ever get our game back????

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Now the NHL is turning into the NBA. Touch a guy and your " fouled ".
I agree with this so much.....look at the NBA about 15 years ago, there was heart and hard work, today's NBA is all about who can dunk the prettiest....the NHL before the lockout-Lots of heart, grit, hard work, hard hitting!!! and today the new CBA by the NHL is made to have the plays look pretty....to me they are hurting our game because they think it is best.......

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post
Yes, but watch any regular season game from that era and it just beats the hell out of the current product we have today. There were more open hits, more open ice, more scoring chances...the game was so much better then.

I remember watching a game a year ago and I couldnt believe all the stuff they got away with back then. Now the NHL is turning into the NBA. Touch a guy and your " fouled ".
The game changes after long stretches of time, look back at the whole history of hockey and you'll see.

I don't know what will change the game for the better, I have no set ideas. Personally, I think the dimensions of the rink and net should be adjusted to go with the faster, bigger gameplay, but we all know its not gonna be that easy.

I think the best ideas are still out there, I just doubt that this current 'leadership' of the NHL could bring us a better game.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Trottier
Very Random

While I agree 100% with the premise that today's game overall lacks the intensity of previous times (by virtue of rule changes), it is unfair to compare any playoff game in any season to regular season play. Especially a Game Seven of the Cup Finals!

I personally was pleasantly surprised that the intensity level was high (and the games less regulated) in the post-season last spring, relative to regular season. The players collectively crank it up once APril comes around. It would be physically impossible to play at the same tempo consistently for 82 games, October-April, that the teams do in the post-season.

That said, the regular seasons in this post-CBA NHL are clearly sterile, owing to the way the league wants the game hyper-managed by officials. For, as we all know, this new style of play will draw the masses of casual US fans to the NHL.

Game Seven. '94 - greatest sporting event I ever attended (or ever will attend) live. A surrealist atmosphere of crowd pensiveness throughout.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Well taking the more general approach, while the game is prettier it is still nowhere near the level I found it be at when I was growing up.

Somehow they managed to have scoring, hitting, fighting and flow without a stoppage every two seconds.

Somehow the NHL has gotten into their collective skulls that scoring means not hitting or fighting and while I like some of the changes the game just isn't the same. It just seems to lack a general passion to it that was missing before. For all the changes, scoring isn't anywhere near where it was so essentially we've traded physical play and passion just to get to a point where we've pretty much split the scoring difference between the 80's/early 90's and the mid90's/early 2000's.

I don't honestly know that if I was a fan born in 88 or 98 as compared to 78 that I'd have been a hockey fan. To me that's very sad.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 08:27 PM
sticknrink

Stop talking about this game it hurts too damn much .

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 08:43 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

I have been watching the 1994 Rangers DVD and agree with Trottier and Edge. While there was physicality and individual battles all over the ice, there was still a fluidity. In watching the Rangers/Devils, there would have been 15 PP's a piece in some of these games. Somewhere between that time and 03-04 though, players were no longer able to skate. While taking the increased level of intensity into account, players were able to skate through the neutral zone. Yeah, there were some tugs and some stickwork on the body on puck carriers, but players were able to skate with speed while the Esa Tikkanens and Claude Lemieuxs were still able to do their jobs.

The early-mid 90's saw some great hockey. Being a youngster, that's the best hockey I have witnessed.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 08:49 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
i'll go to my grave saying that Graves scored the winner in that game and not Mess.
I thought so for years. A while ago, a friend of mine in the media put the game on super slow motion at a broadcast studio one night and we watched frame by frame. After 4 or 5 looks we clearly determined Messier scored the goal.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 08:56 PM
JRGNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
I have been watching the 1994 Rangers DVD and agree with Trottier and Edge. While there was physicality and individual battles all over the ice, there was still a fluidity. In watching the Rangers/Devils, there would have been 15 PP's a piece in some of these games. Somewhere between that time and 03-04 though, players were no longer able to skate. While taking the increased level of intensity into account, players were able to skate through the neutral zone. Yeah, there were some tugs and some stickwork on the body on puck carriers, but players were able to skate with speed while the Esa Tikkanens and Claude Lemieuxs were still able to do their jobs.

The early-mid 90's saw some great hockey. Being a youngster, that's the best hockey I have witnessed.
You bring up a very good point. The skill level when it comes to skating isn't anywhere near what it was 15 years ago, so even when you had those little hooks, they were able to fight right through it. The trap neutralized better skating teams, and there seems to be some kind of generational gap with the talent in the NHL and skating. And then to try to eliminate the trap, the NHL reacted by giving refs carte blanche to call everything.

I can't say I'm against the league calling stick fouls, but I think the problem is two-fold: There are too many borderline calls, and there's been a de-emphasis on taking the body. It's almost as if the rule changes regarding stick fouls are preventing defenseman and forechecking forwards from playing their usual games.

I think it'll take some time but we'll eventually get back to more of an open speed game in the NHL. We're still in a hangover period after the trap period, but I think the talent coming up through the ranks who is more educated on playing a faster hockey style minus the clutching and grabbing will help make the league a more exciting one to watch. It probably will just take a few years though.

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 09:14 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

I agree JRGNYR, that there still needs to be an adjustment period. I also appreciate Trottier's concern. I feel like today's NHL is closer to that 90's hockey I fell in love with while the pre-lockout NHL was moving away. With that being said, Bettman and Co. have caused me concern with tinkering with re-alignment, enlarging the nets, etc. There seems to be a fixation on tinkering and as Trottier and others have harped on repeatedly, an effort to reach these casual fans in the U.S. that are for some reason valued higher than the die-hard and traditional hockey fans...

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 10:14 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I agree with nyranger61494 and JRGNYR.

The game has lost a hell of a lot since '94 and it's just a damn shame. I still think things are better than they were 5 years ago, though. The game then wasn't any tougher or meaner than in '94, it was just slower. I blame over-expansion and the modern era of contracts amongst the miriad other factors.

I hope that the toughness can come back into the game, without legislating out the skating. One thing does not preclude the other.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 10:36 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Well taking the more general approach, while the game is prettier it is still nowhere near the level I found it be at when I was growing up.

Somehow they managed to have scoring, hitting, fighting and flow without a stoppage every two seconds.

Somehow the NHL has gotten into their collective skulls that scoring means not hitting or fighting and while I like some of the changes the game just isn't the same. It just seems to lack a general passion to it that was missing before. For all the changes, scoring isn't anywhere near where it was so essentially we've traded physical play and passion just to get to a point where we've pretty much split the scoring difference between the 80's/early 90's and the mid90's/early 2000's.

I don't honestly know that if I was a fan born in 88 or 98 as compared to 78 that I'd have been a hockey fan. To me that's very sad.
Expansion has hurt the game tremendously.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 11:36 PM
HenrikO'doyle

Im with ya, I miss hiting and fighting, and heart. This new NHL is turning into the NBA(Which also has gone downhill) and it is getting boring. A penalty for every minor detail. The game hasnt gotten more exciting, it has gotten more boring if anything. The old NHL was clearly better, faster, more physical and just a hell of a lot more entertaining.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 05:33 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Expansion has hurt the game tremendously.
I disagree. There is more than enough players who would be willing to play the style of hockey we love. The problem is when everyone is looking for Crosby's, you end up with a bunch of players who try to play that way, and end up with a lot of mediocrity. In otherwords it used to take a lot of different types of players to make a team, it's slowly changing to one type.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote