HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MTL should find a way to lower the cost of defensive line

Old
11-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Disappearing Semin

vCash: 500
MTL should find a way to lower the cost of defensive line

So like the title says Montreal needs to lose some salary on the defensive line. I see the top4 being too expensive at this point Markov(5)-Subban(7-8),Emelin(4)-Gorges(4). I see Gorges as the odd man out if indeed Bergevin signs Markov and Subban. We would need to find a cheap top4 defenseman option (salary wise) to lower the cost. Names that comes to mind are Kulikov, Demers.

Disappearing Semin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:15 PM
Connor McJesus
Praise

I didn't know we were playing in the NFL.

Connor McJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamp View Post
So like the title says Montreal needs to lose some salary on the defensive line. I see the top4 being too expensive at this point Markov(5)-Subban(7-8),Emelin(4)-Gorges(4). I see Gorges as the odd man out if indeed Bergevin signs Markov and Subban. We would need to find a cheap top4 defenseman option (salary wise) to lower the cost. Names that comes to mind are Kulikov, Demers.
I don't think that's going to happen when we have Tinordi, Pateryn and Beaulieu in the AHL. If they do move a D it won't be to pick up a cheaper D IMO.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:31 PM
Disappearing Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
I don't think that's going to happen when we have Tinordi, Pateryn and Beaulieu in the AHL. If they do move a D it won't be to pick up a cheaper D IMO.
I dont really understand what you mean. Are you saying Beaulieu, Tinordi or Pateryn would be a replacement? Id like to see one of them step up next year but I am not expecting them to do so next year.

Disappearing Semin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:35 PM
CanadianSharks

Probably not Demers. We need a top 4 d-man, not lose one.

EDIT: I'm a Sharks fan too, so this "we" means the Sharks, in this case.

Last edited by CanadianSharks: 11-21-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Clarification
CanadianSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Well, if we have a time machine we can go back to last year and give Subban a 5 for 25 like he asked for.

Anybody got one? A Delorean maybe? A Flux Capacitor? 1.21 Giggawatts?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamp View Post
I dont really understand what you mean. Are you saying Beaulieu, Tinordi or Pateryn would be a replacement? Id like to see one of them step up next year but I am not expecting them to do so next year.
If we absolutely need to shed some salary, then yes I'd give Tinordi the call-up. I'd rather see him develop in the NHL than bring in a stop-gap plug.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:50 PM
JLP
Refugee

Almost $30 million sunk into an imperfect defence corps, and it looks like the last they'll sign will be Subban. Thanks MB ya **** for setting it up to make PK appear greedy and selfish! Even if this wasn't intentional it is idiotic to pay your supporting cast before your number one.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Tiger Svoboda

Signing Subban first or last does not change anything
I don't see your point

Tiger Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 08:03 PM
DJ Breadman

Our d isn't that great as it is but I do know our d needs to get younger, someone on an entry level contract as to step it up soon

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 08:04 PM
jaffy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Almost $30 million sunk into an imperfect defence corps, and it looks like the last they'll sign will be Subban. Thanks MB ya **** for setting it up to make PK appear greedy and selfish! Even if this wasn't intentional it is idiotic to pay your supporting cast before your number one.
2 of the top 6 is signed through next year, that's hardly the supporting cast, plus Subban's contract is gonna be a little more complex, chillax

jaffy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 08:28 PM
JLP
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Svoboda View Post
Signing Subban first or last does not change anything
I don't see your point
It's about priorities. You spend what you need to on your best guy then see what's left in your budget for the others. MB is doing it bass ackwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post
2 of the top 6 is signed through next year, that's hardly the supporting cast, plus Subban's contract is gonna be a little more complex, chillax
How? Contracts are standardized under the new CBA. No bonuses, basically it's money and term. Not complex.

Last edited by JLP: 11-21-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old
11-21-2013, 09:34 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Gorges should be packaged for a better defenseman anyway.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 09:44 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
It's about priorities. You spend what you need to on your best guy then see what's left in your budget for the others. MT is doing it bass ackwards.
What do you mean? Correct me if I'm wrong but MB(I assume you meant our GM, not our coach) only signed 1 to a long term deal...Emelin.

Gorges was signed by Gauthier, as was Markov. Diaz isn't signed and Murray, Boullion types get 1 year deals.

Only Emelin got a contract first. It's not exactly a massive list.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 10:02 PM
JLP
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
What do you mean? Correct me if I'm wrong but MB(I assume you meant our GM, not our coach) only signed 1 to a long term deal...Emelin.

Gorges was signed by Gauthier, as was Markov. Diaz isn't signed and Murray, Boullion types get 1 year deals.

Only Emelin got a contract first. It's not exactly a massive list.
Oops "MB" thanks. Okay point taken Ghost signed Gorges. My point is that Subban should be dealt with first, before Emelin and Diaz. Actually I also think Markov should be taken care of before Diaz.

I'm concerned that if the Subban negotiations drag on we'll hear from the local media about how much our D is already costing us, and how can we possibly afford Subban at the exorbitant price of $8M? I hope it doesn't develop that way but there's a risk is that if Subban is the last D signed he'll be accused of trying to break the bank. We'll see.

Old
11-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Foxhole Fred

Best way to bring the cost of the blue line down is to have some guys on ELCs step up and make one of Gorges or Dias (or both) expendable.

Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn, Nygren. Any of these guys could earn a spot even this year at some point, if not next.

Foxhole Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 10:43 PM
FF de Mars

I'm weary about Diaz and Gorges. The rest is fine (Bouillon is as good as gone next year).

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 10:57 PM
NA Scouting

You're kinda right though. And especially since Bergy is negotiating with Diaz a big contract as well. That's a lot of money invested in defense. But with Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn we could cut on costs a bit for next year. I think Diaz or Gorges need to go. The kids are ready.

Although I don't think any team has won the Cup with three rookies on D... not since the 2015 Canadiens anyway... wait

NA Scouting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 11:10 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireBergevin

Playing our 1st rounders Beaulieu and Tinordi might be a good idea.

Look at all the young D around the league.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 12:25 AM
Noob616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Playing our 1st rounders Beaulieu and Tinordi might be a good idea.

Look at all the young D around the league.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary
You mean you'd rather not play Murray and Bouillion instead?

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 05:38 AM
jaffy27

Quote:
It's about priorities. You spend what you need to on your best guy then see what's left in your budget for the others. MB is doing it bass ackwards.

How? Contracts are standardized under the new CBA. No bonuses, basically it's money and term. Not complex.
NTC....NMC...how many years, 7 or 8, how much does ownership want to commit on one player, 7 million or 8 million, can we afford that much under the cap, do we pay him 10 million the first 4 years than 5 million the last four or is it vice versa. How much will Galchenyuk and Gallagher want if they keep performing the way they are in 3-4 years, 6-7-8 million?? Can we afford all of them at that price? Whenever you are dealing with 1/8th to 1/10th of your salary on 1 guy, it becomes complicated and you really need to make sure you are committing your money to the right person, and I'm 100% sure I'm missing out on other facts and complications.

Old
11-22-2013, 06:08 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
30 mil won't even be 30% of the cap in 3-4 years. Not that our D will cost 30 mil even in a worst case scenario. 27 mil is probably the max we could hit if everyone gets paid market value.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 06:18 AM
Crimson Skorpion
@CrimsonSkorpion

Awards:
Both Boo-boo and Murray are making $1.5 million.
Drewiske, who is a serviceable 7th/8th, is making well under 750k.

Drew is around for next season, while both Boo-boo and Murray will be gone. That frees up $3 million and some space on the blue-line. Guys like Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn and maybe even Nygren and Dietz could all challenge for those two spots. All five of them would not cost much.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 06:18 AM
jaffy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
30 mil won't even be 30% of the cap in 3-4 years. Not that our D will cost 30 mil even in a worst case scenario. 27 mil is probably the max we could hit if everyone gets paid market value.
Judging buy your numbers, you're saying the salary cap will be around 103 million or more in 3-4 yrs, it's gotta b a typo on your part

Old
11-22-2013, 06:22 AM
jaffy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
Both Boo-boo and Murray are making $1.5 million.
Drewiske, who is a serviceable 7th/8th, is making well under 750k.

Drew is around for next season, while both Boo-boo and Murray will be gone. That frees up $3 million and some space on the blue-line. Guys like Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn and maybe even Nygren and Dietz could all challenge for those two spots. All five of them would not cost much.
637,500$ to be precise...agree with the replacements. There's gotta b at least 2 out of those 5 that will pan out