Third-Period Fizzles...

Old
12-27-2006, 05:19 PM
CombatOnContact

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Third-Period Fizzles...

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...s/bruins_blog/

* The third period has been ugly for the Bruins lately. In the last three games, they've been outshot by a 41-14 margin in the final frame. Brad Boyes called it a mental problem, with the Bruins sitting back too much. "It's unacceptable," Boyes said of the third-period play.

* In games where they've led after two periods, the Bruins have a .700 winning percentage, third-worst in the league. In contrast, Carolina and Calgary are perfect in games where they've held leads after 40 minutes.

Completely unacceptable. I've been bashing Lewis about his 3rd period strategy since last night, but I wonder how much he really has to do with it. It'd be really cool to get an inside scoop of what is said in a 2nd intermission when the Bruins have a lead.

* Mark Mowers took responsibility for leaving the ice too soon in overtime. The bad line change led to a breakaway for David Vyborny, Columbus's leading scorer.

Forgot to mention that he will be rewarded with more ice time for being so accountable That's Dave Lewis for ya

* No decision on who will start in goal against Chicago on Friday.

Toivonen should start the game. He needs some action and an inter-conference game is the best time to get him in. Also, the Bruins are playing back-to-back with a game on Saturday vs. Nashville. They'll need Thomas for that one for sure.

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 05:32 PM
chippa13*

Coaches don't sit on leads, players do.

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 05:43 PM
hckyguy14

Send a message via Yahoo to hckyguy14
20-4 the Jackets outshot the Bruins last night. Pathetic. This has been a scarey trend of late.

They just need to attack attack attack attack in the third period. I'd love to know what makes them sit on leads which only leads to them blowing it.

hckyguy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 07:25 PM
acr*

Dave Lewis tries to trap, except he doesn't realize that the "New NHL" won't let it work and his players aren't big enough or good enough defensively to do it.

Lewis has to be more aggressive in the 3rd.

acr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 09:05 PM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippa13 View Post
Coaches preach a strategy, players play it out. Does that not make any sense to you at all?

Your one liners really don't provide much of any input.

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 08:42 AM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippa13 View Post
If it were one or two players that were sitting on the lead and playing trap/dump & run style hockey ... I might agree with you. But when it's a team-wide epidemic, I think it's safe to say that the coach might be playing a role in it.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 08:59 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overrated View Post
If it were one or two players that were sitting on the lead and playing trap/dump & run style hockey ... I might agree with you. But when it's a team-wide epidemic, I think it's safe to say that the coach might be playing a role in it.
Well, is he or isn't he?...I think it's safe to say that the players "might" have a role in it as well.

Lewis tends to be a conservative coach, but he has shown that he will open it up when necessary (3 forwards in OT). I would not be suprised to find that Lewis has been trying to emphasize defensive responsibility in the 3rd over free-wheeling offensive forays.

That does NOT mean he is telling them to spend 75% of the period in their own zone and get badly outshot, once we have the lead. I think the natural tendency when a team has the lead is to play more conservatively.You see it in every sport, not just hockey.

Lewis' job is to help the players get to the point where they recognize when they need to be conservative, and when to take chances. Right now it seems to be a work in progress

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 09:05 AM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
Coaches preach a strategy, players play it out. Does that not make any sense to you at all?

Your one liners really don't provide much of any input.
I have to somewhat agree with him here actually. They play the 1-4 formation in the third when leading which doesn't have to be a sit back approach. The problem is the B's just continue to chip the puck out and not make clean break out passes that would allow them to spend more time in their opponents end.

Boyes was even quoted somewhere as saying "its all mental" that they fell off the wagon a little bit and need to start playing with more confidence in the third and trying to win, instead of trying not to lose. I think they'll be able to turn it around and get back on the right track. Constantly throwing Dave Lewis under the bus when we lose is getting a little bit old for my taste.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote