HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NHL forward for Douglas Murray

Old
11-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Somebody will get hurt again and then Murray will be back in. He seems to be pretty decent at what we already knew he would do... hit and clear the crease. We knew that mobility was not his thing. He had one bad giveaway game, but aside from that, as long as he has been used in the right role with bottom pairing minutes and some more stationary PK time, he has been fine, precisely as advertised.

I don't think that whatever we'd get for him in a trade is going to be worth the value of just keeping him around as injury insurance.

But of course, I'll be fully ready to revisit that at the trade deadline, perhaps. That ought to be when his value peaks, if ever. Not now.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Tank Commander
Perennial Letdown

vCash: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
Didn't Murray sign like a few weeks before training camp?

I'm sure many teams skipped over offering him a contract for a reason..
He's a punishing hitter and a good positional defenseman but he's one of the slowest, worst skaters in the league. Teams don't really line up for guys who lack mobility.

Tank Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 10:20 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCoke View Post
Edm will take him for will acton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peso View Post
Any possibility or Ryan Jones? Same cap hit and both expiring contracts.
As sad as it is, I don't think we would have interest in Murray. MacTavish shipped Smid out because he wasn't a good enough puck mover, Murray would probably be below Corey Potter in our depth chart. Not that he should be...he just would.

ManofSteel55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 12:42 PM
SenzZen
Unsustainable

Why would another team overpay for him with a player the way the Habs did with the chequebook?

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post
Douglas Murray is a guy who only clears the crease for you. He sucks at virtually anything else. He needs to be paired with a mobile partner to do his job.

Ryane Clowe claims disrespect.
I still cannot believe what kind of package the Sharks got for him. Insanity.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
If this were last season I'd offer up Jokinen, Tangradi or Thorburn, but they've all been pretty good so far. Maybe you want our coaches goldenboy, James Wright?

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Sparksrus3

The perfect fit here is Murray for bourque

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Feintastic

Yea sure... he's a solid 5th... uuhhh GTFO lol !

Feintastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Sparksrus3

Lol!

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 09:40 PM
Feintastic

That's why Bergevin was able to bring him in here... if he was really useful dont you think one of the 29 other teams would have offer more than 1 year contract, which means NO security @ only 1.5 ?

When Murray said something like ''Ohhh I really wanted to play here that was a dream..etc..''

If you believe him u gotta be idiot... just sayin lol

The Canadiens is a midgets team and Murray is big so Bergevin signed him, just like he signed Brière cause he's a ''Québécois''...probably the same thing with Desharnais

Feintastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 09:45 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peso View Post
No idea why Montreal signed the guy.

Therrien is using Bouillon over him. The guy is a solid #5-6 guy. He has been doing his job in Montreal.

Im a fan of Murray just don't know why sign the guy and make him sit. He is a shutdown dman and exactly what Montreal is lacking and then sit him for Bouillon. Being wasted. I know there are teams looking for defensive dmen.

Anyone willing to offer a roster forward for him? Not top players or blow this out of proportion. Just a bottom 6 guy with size would do.

This would allow us to bring up Tinordi or Beaulieu and give them some experience. Plus we have Drewiske back in February or March.
We have a very different opinion of where Murray should slot in on a team. I think he is a pretty good #7-8 defenseman, I don't want him playing except to give someone else a rest or as an injury fill in.

Some teams don't even have a forward that is worth as little as Murray, I think you should be thinking about getting a 13th forward for Murray, no 3rd liner, no 4th liner. I think a 3rd-4th round pick at the deadline is appropriate for a contender to pick him up and that would be trading him when prices are the highest.

No offense to you but Murray is not worth much at all in my opinion.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 10:03 PM
jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
We have a very different opinion of where Murray should slot in on a team. I think he is a pretty good #7-8 defenseman, I don't want him playing except to give someone else a rest or as an injury fill in.

Some teams don't even have a forward that is worth as little as Murray, I think you should be thinking about getting a 13th forward for Murray, no 3rd liner, no 4th liner. I think a 3rd-4th round pick at the deadline is appropriate for a contender to pick him up and that would be trading him when prices are the highest.

No offense to you but Murray is not worth much at all in my opinion.
I also would rather have Murray over bouillon.

jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 10:04 PM
JCLiponfanboy*
Kubalik For Calder

Thorburn and Cody Sol. Sol is sort of like Carkner but still developing

JCLiponfanboy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 10:11 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacks View Post
I also would rather have Murray over bouillon.
I wasn't arguing that, I just don't think either of them are the ideal top 6 D at this point in their careers. It is pretty obvious that Beaulieu and Tinordi are both better than either of them but are lacking experience.

Murray being better than Bouillon doesn't make Murray and ideal #5-6 D, it just makes him a better option than Bouillon.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 08:53 PM
JCLiponfanboy*
Kubalik For Calder

Murray isn't that bad

Last edited by JCLiponfanboy*: 11-19-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Repost
Old
11-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Hugo Sham

he's a perfect fit for a team, that is atrocious on the PK. he's become redundant with Emelin's return and Therrien's bromance with Bouillon

Hugo Sham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 09:21 PM
JCLiponfanboy*
Kubalik For Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Sounds like a Tim Jackman scenario. He is .... kind of... NHL Player
The exception is Jackman managed to get dealed

Old
11-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Nyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
I don't know if he's any good these days, but the Wings could use a player like him if we were able to clear up a little salary and a roster spot. Montreal probably doesn't have much interest in our available players though.
We have plenty of awful defensemen as it is...

Nyquist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 09:44 PM
EagleBelfour

Douglas Murray makes Hal Gill look like a speedskater, but he's still useful as a 6th-7th defenceman. Use the body very well, decent in the defensive zone, clear the crease well, decent shot blocker. I think the Montreal Canadiens are set to leave Tinordi and Beaulieu in the AHL for the year, and Murray is better than Drewiske. I would keep him over trading him for the usual 6th-7th round pick.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 11:02 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Murray is atrocious and doesn't belong in the NHL. You won't get anything of value at all.
This, a thousand times this.

Sharks trade Doug Murray

Quote:
After struggling early in his career by chasing big hits rather than playing defense, he made massive improvements positionally. Of course, he was always an extremely limited player who struggled to move the puck forward. Dan Bylsma will probably have the sense to pair him with someone who can mitigate, rather than exacerbate, his limitations so, in that sense, maybe this deal does make a modicum of sense for Pittsburgh. Who am I kidding, of course it doesn't.
2011-2012 Season Review: Doug Murray

Quote:
Douglas Murray had the worst full season of his NHL career in 2011-12. And while he's probably not the worst puck-mover in the league, his outlet passing ability is limited on a good day. Although injuries took their toll, Murray was in large part still the same physical own-zone assassin he's made a name for himself around the league for being. The issue was, he was defending all the time this year, his inability to help the Sharks exit the zone cleanly fully exposed.

Put it all together and you've got a defensive defenseman who does more to hurt than help his team when deployed in more difficult defensive situations. That's not a ringing endorsement of Murray as a player and while it certainly bears mentioning that Murray's injuries this season probably contributed to his poor showing, the Sharks can't afford to ice a top-four defenseman who drags down his partner.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 04:30 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Taylor Pyatt
No takebacks

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 06:35 AM
Rick16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Yeah nobody wants him lol

He is probably the worst player still playing in the nhl
He's better than Bouillon but for some reason Therrien chooses to play Bouillon over him. I guess this is because of Bouillon's PP skills

Rick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 08:18 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivium View Post
Murray isn't that bad
Yes, he is. His possession, production and goals against on ice are on par with guys like Scott, McLaren and McGrattan. He is essentially an enforcer that doesn't fight.

Bouillon has been putrid for the Habs, Crankshaft has been worse.

I'd love to get something for him, but it won't happen.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Douglas Murray makes Hal Gill look like a speedskater, but he's still useful as a 6th-7th defenceman. Use the body very well, decent in the defensive zone, clear the crease well, decent shot blocker. I think the Montreal Canadiens are set to leave Tinordi and Beaulieu in the AHL for the year, and Murray is better than Drewiske. I would keep him over trading him for the usual 6th-7th round pick.
That is who Murray most resembles in the NHL. Murray get 1.5 million. Gill is getting $600,000. Gill IS the #7-8 D-man in Philly.

I do agree, no sense in trading him for that return. Realistically, he could only fetch a similar waiver type of forward.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote