HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

can we stop the blame game?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-27-2006, 11:35 PM
  #1
bb_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boston
Posts: 9,560
vCash: 500
can we stop the blame game?

the officials, the players that are on at the end (as in, the obligatory 'why was york out ther on such and such a play' or why was prims on the ice with less than a minute left'

i hate the officiating, i hate alot of things, but face facts people, this team is what it is.

players need to play.

all of them.

Chara cant play 60 minutes.

niether can Stuart.

or bergeron.
or savard.

(and no, bobby orrr insnt lacing em up, bourque isnt walkin thru the door, and neely isnt coming back to score 50 goals and beat the tar out of everyone)


this is our team, can i say team one more time!!!!

maybe u dont agree with Lewis. But he has gotten us into the playoff hunt.

Tim Thomas??? whats he gonna do, play 79 games this season????

are we gonna ***** and scream when toivy gets a start and sucks??? or if he does good, scream that he should have been in sooner, what the heck was lewis thinking not playing him!!!!!

team sport
team sport
team sport

we lack the depth and experince to truly be a play off caliber team so stop *****ing at the roster we have and the way it is used and enjoy the fact that we have been in most of the games we have played and that the future looks bright!!

unless of course you want to trade the future and depth we have for a bandaid....?

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 01:23 AM
  #2
Krejci Knows Techno
Playoffs *****
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashua NH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
and no, bobby orrr insnt lacing em up, bourque isnt walkin thru the door, and neely isnt coming back to score 50 goals and beat the tar out of everyone
thanks rick patino

Krejci Knows Techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 02:29 AM
  #3
Cusick-n-Sanderson
Registered User
 
Cusick-n-Sanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Jamaica Plain
Posts: 834
vCash: 500
I like beer too.

Cusick-n-Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 04:46 AM
  #4
A Time To Change
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Plymouth
Country: United States
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
the officials, the players that are on at the end (as in, the obligatory 'why was york out ther on such and such a play' or why was prims on the ice with less than a minute left'

i hate the officiating, i hate alot of things, but face facts people, this team is what it is.

players need to play.

all of them.

Chara cant play 60 minutes.

niether can Stuart.

or bergeron.
or savard.

(and no, bobby orrr insnt lacing em up, bourque isnt walkin thru the door, and neely isnt coming back to score 50 goals and beat the tar out of everyone)


this is our team, can i say team one more time!!!!

maybe u dont agree with Lewis. But he has gotten us into the playoff hunt.

Tim Thomas??? whats he gonna do, play 79 games this season????

are we gonna ***** and scream when toivy gets a start and sucks??? or if he does good, scream that he should have been in sooner, what the heck was lewis thinking not playing him!!!!!

team sport
team sport
team sport

we lack the depth and experince to truly be a play off caliber team so stop *****ing at the roster we have and the way it is used and enjoy the fact that we have been in most of the games we have played and that the future looks bright!!

unless of course you want to trade the future and depth we have for a bandaid....?
Hey man, the Bruins still have most of their season to get higher than 8th in the standings. If they didn't struggle earlier in the year, They'd be right up there. They need to trade for a goalie as well. I dont care about Toivonen's upside or how we should wait to see what develops. The painful truth is this: You can't win in April, May and June without a truely great backstop. And after 34 years, The Bruins haven't had a Franchise goalie since Gerry Cheevers, Notice a connection? The Bruins haven't had the guy to go the distance, Since Gerry Cheevers the goaltender who last lead the Bruins to a cup. Since the Bruins have proven that they can't develop goalies, Maybe they need to pull off a big trade involving one, Because I'm sick and tired of waiting for one to emerge, Because it ain't gonna happen. After 30 or so years, There is no reason to be unrealistic anymore.

A Time To Change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 09:13 AM
  #5
Shinny
Registered User
 
Shinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 9,098
vCash: 500
Nice lecture....

I'm not usually part of the knee-jerk, bash on a player/coach group, but I can understand people who get so fired up about the B's.

A lot of fans like to dissect the game and question coaches decisions. This is nothing new in any sport in this area and it's never going to change. People are passionate about the teams they root for and second-guessing coaching decisions is what people do. Ever listen to sports radio?

The inconsistent officiating can be infuriating even for people who aren't typically into blaming refs for losses.

If we follow your directive, what on earth would we talk about on this board? The prospects, how we'll compete in 2009, what a mild winter we're having?

Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 09:17 AM
  #6
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinny View Post
Nice lecture....

I'm not usually part of the knee-jerk, bash on a player/coach group, but I can understand people who get so fired up about the B's.

A lot of fans like to dissect the game and question coaches decisions. This is nothing new in any sport in this area and it's never going to change. People are passionate about the teams they root for and second-guessing coaching decisions is what people do. Ever listen to sports radio?

The inconsistent officiating can be infuriating even for people who aren't typically into blaming refs for losses.

If we follow your directive, what on earth would we talk about on this board? The prospects, how we'll compete in 2009, what a mild winter we're having?
We could talk about gardening.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 09:27 AM
  #7
bb_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boston
Posts: 9,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityOfChampions View Post
thanks rick patino
can ya tell,, i've seen hoosiers about three times this week too

(and can ya tell i miss players like neely?)

theres lots i dont like about this team, the way the league is going, the officiating, etc etc....

but it seems like everytime we blow a lead, or a close game, or make a major bone head play at key times said player and coach get the instant lynching.

the lynch part is what i dont get?

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 09:29 AM
  #8
bb_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boston
Posts: 9,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinny View Post
Nice lecture....

I'm not usually part of the knee-jerk, bash on a player/coach group, but I can understand people who get so fired up about the B's.

A lot of fans like to dissect the game and question coaches decisions. This is nothing new in any sport in this area and it's never going to change. People are passionate about the teams they root for and second-guessing coaching decisions is what people do. Ever listen to sports radio?

The inconsistent officiating can be infuriating even for people who aren't typically into blaming refs for losses.

If we follow your directive, what on earth would we talk about on this board? The prospects, how we'll compete in 2009, what a mild winter we're having?
i dont have a directive, it was just a rant.

and i never said lets not talk about how bad the offciating is, the coaching is, or the players are.

i think i just said lets stop lynching them everytime they screw up.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 09:34 AM
  #9
McMahonCHN
 
McMahonCHN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Melrose, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 318
vCash: 500
To quote another New England coach....the team "is what it is".

They are a team that as they stand, will make the playoffs as a 6-8 seed, and likely bow out in the first round of the playoffs.

There needs to be some improvements on defense (better defensemen from 4-6) and to make a legit run in the postseason, they need a new goaltender.

Tim Thomas is a great No. 2 or even a 1b. He is not an NHL No. 1 and he is not the guy that is going to take this team anywhere deep into the playoffs.

That being said, it is what it is.

If before the deadline they have a new goaltender and maybe 1-2 new defensemen, then things might be different (depending on the additions), and they also might be worse (depending on the subtractions).

McMahonCHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 09:56 AM
  #10
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
i dont have a directive, it was just a rant.

and i never said lets not talk about how bad the offciating is, the coaching is, or the players are.

i think i just said lets stop lynching them everytime they screw up.
I blame this thread for the loss to colombus. Because it was this thread that caused the last minute 6 on situation.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 10:36 AM
  #11
chippa13*
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusick-n-Sanderson View Post
I like beer too.
Finally, a post we can all agree on.

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 10:42 AM
  #12
BostonPC
Bleed Black & Gold
 
BostonPC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lexington, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMahonCHN View Post
To quote another New England coach....the team "is what it is".

They are a team that as they stand, will make the playoffs as a 6-8 seed, and likely bow out in the first round of the playoffs.

There needs to be some improvements on defense (better defensemen from 4-6) and to make a legit run in the postseason, they need a new goaltender.

Tim Thomas is a great No. 2 or even a 1b. He is not an NHL No. 1 and he is not the guy that is going to take this team anywhere deep into the playoffs.

That being said, it is what it is.

If before the deadline they have a new goaltender and maybe 1-2 new defensemen, then things might be different (depending on the additions), and they also might be worse (depending on the subtractions).
The team "is what it is"? What does that mean?

Are they the team from the first 10 games of the season or the one we have seen over the last 10 games, or a combination of both?

Is Tim Thomas really a goalie who is playing out of his mind and will fall back down to earth, or is he a guy who is a late bloomer and is just continuing what he did the last few years in Finland and can be productive for many years to come?

Is the offense as weak as they have shown so far this season or will guys like Sturm & Boyes rise to the occasion and catch fire like they both did last year?

Will the defense continue to struggle with leads going into the third period and wind up an average team, or do they get healthy, figure it out and start putting away teams?

Who really knows what this team is yet.

I do not think they are in the top 5 or even 10 in the whole league but what if they catch fire and start burying team late into the season and make a strong run at the playoffs....

I believe it is possible and will continue to cheer them on.

BostonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 11:04 AM
  #13
MaCam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eastern Mass
Country: United States
Posts: 3,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMahonCHN View Post
To quote another New England coach....the team "is what it is".

They are a team that as they stand, will make the playoffs as a 6-8 seed, and likely bow out in the first round of the playoffs.

There needs to be some improvements on defense (better defensemen from 4-6) and to make a legit run in the postseason, they need a new goaltender.

Tim Thomas is a great No. 2 or even a 1b. He is not an NHL No. 1 and he is not the guy that is going to take this team anywhere deep into the playoffs.

That being said, it is what it is.

If before the deadline they have a new goaltender and maybe 1-2 new defensemen, then things might be different (depending on the additions), and they also might be worse (depending on the subtractions).


I have to completly disagree with your entire post. How do you say Tim Thomas is not an NHL No.1 goaltender? He is the reason we're even in the playoff hunt right now, he has played spectacular and has proved to me he is a No. 1 goaltender in the NHL. He can't bail this team out every single time they decide to sit back in the third period and try to sit on leads. He's done it a few times this season, he obviously can't do it every time. I also disagree about us needing 1-2 new defensemen. We just need to make some call-ups from the minors and send York down.

MaCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 11:52 AM
  #14
frankiesfly
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
the officials, the players that are on at the end (as in, the obligatory 'why was york out ther on such and such a play' or why was prims on the ice with less than a minute left'

i hate the officiating, i hate alot of things, but face facts people, this team is what it is.

players need to play.

all of them.

Chara cant play 60 minutes.

niether can Stuart.

or bergeron.
or savard.

(and no, bobby orrr insnt lacing em up, bourque isnt walkin thru the door, and neely isnt coming back to score 50 goals and beat the tar out of everyone)


this is our team, can i say team one more time!!!!

maybe u dont agree with Lewis. But he has gotten us into the playoff hunt.

Tim Thomas??? whats he gonna do, play 79 games this season????

are we gonna ***** and scream when toivy gets a start and sucks??? or if he does good, scream that he should have been in sooner, what the heck was lewis thinking not playing him!!!!!

team sport
team sport
team sport

we lack the depth and experince to truly be a play off caliber team so stop *****ing at the roster we have and the way it is used and enjoy the fact that we have been in most of the games we have played and that the future looks bright!!

unless of course you want to trade the future and depth we have for a bandaid....?
Im happy with the bruins, and im happy with lewis right now. The division is tight and has the bruins in playoff contention. Tim Thomas is playing great and getting recognition around the leauge right now as being one of the top goalies. People are looking at him as having Hasek type assetts. As far as toivonen he sucks. Even if he does come up and has a great game who cares. Who ever is complaining about this Bruins team, maybe you should become a fan somewhere else. This team is playing great right now and are an exciting team to watch. When the bruins are off in the evening i find myself being bored when there not playing, thats how much i enjoy watching them. The bruins will make the playoffs this year, mark my words.

frankiesfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 12:02 PM
  #15
acr*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: My Pit of Danger
Country:
Posts: 47,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
the officials, the players that are on at the end (as in, the obligatory 'why was york out ther on such and such a play' or why was prims on the ice with less than a minute left'

i hate the officiating, i hate alot of things, but face facts people, this team is what it is.

players need to play.

all of them.

Chara cant play 60 minutes.

niether can Stuart.

or bergeron.
or savard.

(and no, bobby orrr insnt lacing em up, bourque isnt walkin thru the door, and neely isnt coming back to score 50 goals and beat the tar out of everyone)


this is our team, can i say team one more time!!!!

maybe u dont agree with Lewis. But he has gotten us into the playoff hunt.

Tim Thomas??? whats he gonna do, play 79 games this season????

are we gonna ***** and scream when toivy gets a start and sucks??? or if he does good, scream that he should have been in sooner, what the heck was lewis thinking not playing him!!!!!

team sport
team sport
team sport

we lack the depth and experince to truly be a play off caliber team so stop *****ing at the roster we have and the way it is used and enjoy the fact that we have been in most of the games we have played and that the future looks bright!!

unless of course you want to trade the future and depth we have for a bandaid....?
Uggh.

When the TEAM does well enough to win a game, or even doesn't do that well but should still get out of it with a win or OT point and one player doesn't do his job and makes a mistake to cost them points, or the coach makes a clearly stupid decision that costs them a goal or two, he SHOULD be called out for it.

Same with officiating. Nothing's more frustrating than when the team is in position to win and the people whose job it is to ensure the game goes according to the rules screws up and lets the other team come back outside of the standards of the rulebook. A penalty is a penalty, an offsides is an offsides, an icing is an icing, etc. There should be no "Well...it's late in a close game so I'll let it slide" or "They're down 1, let's give them a chance with a PP". It is what it is. There should be no variation.

acr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 12:27 PM
  #16
McMahonCHN
 
McMahonCHN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Melrose, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1927 View Post
I have to completely disagree with your entire post. How do you say Tim Thomas is not an NHL No.1 goaltender? He is the reason we're even in the playoff hunt right now, he has played spectacular and has proved to me he is a No. 1 goaltender in the NHL. He can't bail this team out every single time they decide to sit back in the third period and try to sit on leads. He's done it a few times this season, he obviously can't do it every time. I also disagree about us needing 1-2 new defensemen. We just need to make some call-ups from the minors and send York down.
Well I have to disagree with your entire post...

2.99 GAA, .908 Save %

Those are Tim Thomas' numbers. That isn't bad. It isn't great either.

Should he be in the NHL? Absolutely. Should he be a #1 goalie on an NHL team? He can be.
My contention is that while he can be the #1 goalie on an NHL team, it isn't going to be an NHL team that goes deep into the playoffs.

He comes up with terrific saves once in a while, and he also lets in some softies once in a while. He has a tendency to make the easy saves look hard and is almost constantly out of position
He is the definition of a team player and I respect him for that. I have no problem with Hannu in Providence and Thomas backing up another goaltender. You can't tell me that you honestly believe Tim Thomas could lead this team to a Stanley Cup.

I said in my previous post, they can make the playoffs with Thomas in net. I actually believe they will because I doubt a move is made. I can't see them getting out of the first round with Thomas in goal.

I don't have the time or the patience to sit and do the math, but take a look at his game log. His numbers against teams with winning records is not good. Looking at the quickly, he has a 3.00+ GAA easily and a Save % that is sub-.900

In terms of the defensemen:

Guys I would hold onto:
Chara
Alberts
Stuart
Jurcina (for his potential)

Guys that could be replaced:
Mara
York

That's two defensemen that you could add that could be better than what you have.

Mara was brought in to be an offensive defenseman, he isn't doing that (1-11-12, 30 games). Her certainly doesn't make up for it with his defensive play.

Jason York is a spare part. I didn't expect much from him. He is a 6-7 defenseman at this point in his career.

My contention with the defense is that you could add two guys that are better than York and Mara, hence improving your team.

McMahonCHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 12:31 PM
  #17
acr*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: My Pit of Danger
Country:
Posts: 47,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMahonCHN View Post
Well I have to disagree with your entire post...

2.99 GAA, .908 Save %

Those are Tim Thomas' numbers. That isn't bad. It isn't great either.

Should he be in the NHL? Absolutely. Should he be a #1 goalie on an NHL team? He can be.
My contention is that while he can be the #1 goalie on an NHL team, it isn't going to be an NHL team that goes deep into the playoffs.
3.68 GAA, .882 Save %

2005-2006 NHL numbers for Cam Ward...he led them pretty deep if I recall correctly.

acr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 12:44 PM
  #18
McMahonCHN
 
McMahonCHN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Melrose, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by acr View Post
3.68 GAA, .882 Save %

2005-2006 NHL numbers for Cam Ward...he led them pretty deep if I recall correctly.
Correct...but how many times does that happen?

The second part of my rebuttal...

Cam Ward last season was a 21-year-old goaltender who was picked in the first round of the NHL draft.

Tim Thomas is a 32-year-old goaltender who was picked in the ninth round of the NHL draft and toiled in Europe and the minors because he wasn't good enough (it's not because he never got his chance, this isn't a Rocky movie).

Some guys are late bloomers. Tim Thomas is a late bloomer.

I agree that he is the best option on the team right now. My opinion is that that area needs to improve if they want to make a SERIOUS run at a cup. If they aren't and they are more focused on building, then I agree that no move gets made and they wait for Rask to be ready.

This team can and should make the postseason with Tim Thomas in net. If they make it out of the first round, I'll eat the keyboard that I am typing this with.

McMahonCHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.