HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sign Brian Leetch! (merged)

Old
12-28-2006, 10:53 AM
traderjake*

vCash:
Sign Brian Leetch! (merged)

Our defense is terrible.
We have no point on the powerplay.
Look at Schneider in Detroit who is the same age as Leetch.
Was Schneider ever a better player than Leetch?
Leetch is not too old to be a benefit ti this team.
He would be very motivated coming back to NY.
Sign him for 1/2 a season for cash and give up no talent.
I am not saying that this is the answer to the defensive problems - just a part of the answer until other changes can be made.

Old
12-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by traderjake View Post
Look at Schneider in Detroit who is the same age as Leetch.
Was Schneider ever a better player than Leetch?
In both their primes Schneider was never the player Leetch was, but now he is the better player, Schneider has aged better as a hockey player than Leetch has, that's the simple truth.

12-28-2006, 11:20 AM
traderjake*

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
In both their primes Schneider was never the player Leetch was, but now he is the better player, Schneider has aged better as a hockey player than Leetch has, that's the simple truth.
OK - that could be true - I think it's worth a shot.

Old
12-28-2006, 11:41 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Leetch WILL NOT play for any team other than the Rangers. And it is growing less and less likely that he'll play at all this season.

Both proud and modest, he does not consider himself close to NHL game shape right now and has long dreaded the notion of being a shell of his former self in a Rangers uniform on Garden ice. That DOES NOT mean he is willing to be a shell of his former self in somebody else's uniform in some other locale.

It just explains why he hasn't signed with the Rangers. Sadly, from my perspective, we might have seen the last of No. 2 as an active player. Without question, we've seen the last of him playing in anybody else's colors
http://blogs.nydailynews.com/rangers.../12/post_4.php

Case closed

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 11:55 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

RangerBoy coming up big again.

You are the link KING.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 12-28-2006 at 12:04 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 12:04 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
RangerBoy coming up big again.

You are the link KING.
NO I just read it on Dellapina's blog a couple of days ago and if any writer should know what Leetch is doing these days and what his mindset is like,it's Dellapina

Brian is finished as a hockey player.He didn't play anywhere in 2004-05 during the lockout.Missed most of 2005-06 w/injuries.Isn't playing this season.What are the chances of Leetch playing next season after playing 1/2 a season in three years?Very unlikely if not 0%

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 12:05 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

I don't think he would help much at all...but at this point...simply because he is a Ranger and will always be...and is jobless...I would do it. He is better than Malik, Ozo...bring the guy in...and then he'll find a front office job next year

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 12:05 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

The only thing I want to see Leetch on the Garden ice for is his number retirement ceremony.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 12:08 PM
traderjake*

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
NO I just read it on Dellapina's blog a couple of days ago and if any writer should know what Leetch is doing these days and what his mindset is like,it's Dellapina

Brian is finished as a hockey player.He didn't play anywhere in 2004-05 during the lockout.Missed most of 2005-06 w/injuries.Isn't playing this season.What are the chances of Leetch playing next season after playing 1/2 a season in three years?Very unlikely if not 0%
Good point - I didn't know that.
I thought he was in great shape waiting.
Oh well.

Old
12-28-2006, 12:18 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Yeah Dellapina is def. the best source out of all the beat bloggers, though i kinda like Sam's a little more than everyone else because he has a little fun with it.

Old
12-28-2006, 12:36 PM
danroy33

At the same time, Leetch is a classy guy and if he weren't going to play, why would he string the Rangers along? If he were to retire, wouldn't he have just done it already? I don't disagree that he is past his prime, but I agree that our despicable excuse for a power play and penalty kill can benefit from his experise. Also, if Leetch were not in the Rangers' plans, would they have waited half a season to make a move for a defenseman? Sather isn't a complete moron, he can analyze like any of us that defense is our biggest weakness. He had to know Rachunek and Ozolinsh were not going to be star defensemen. IMHO I think there is an agreement in place for Leetch to come back for half the season after the new year and that it has been in place for some time. Send Rachunek and/or Kaspar to Hartford and have Pock as the 7th defenseman. Or swing a deal with Malik or Rachunek involved.

danroy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 12:39 PM
crisb

I don't want to have him back, only because of his condition. Brian is smart, so I don't think he will ever play again.

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 01:14 PM
SML

Again? Seriously? The past is the past. Brian Leetch is no answer for any problem we have here and sentimentality doesn't win games. The PP was awful when Leetch was last here as a Ranger. The problem with the PP is that NOBODY SHOOTS THE PUCK. Leetch was as guilty of the pass first, second, and third mentality as anybody. The team has got to get the puck on the net and start scoring some ugly goals. Otherwise, Leetch is not going to cut down on the goals against. The guy is not destitute, he's made alot of money over his lifetime. Dollar wise, for what it would take in order to make a guy like Leetch have to come play, he's not worth it. He made 4 million when he last played for the Bruins. Even at half that, he's not worth what he actually brings to the rink today.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Tuxman

please do not humiliate brian by signing him. i would hate to see one of the best rangers of all time getting boo'ed in the garden for being two steps slower. but then again, he'd probably get injured in the first game and be out for the remainder of the season with groin problems

Tuxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 01:36 PM
JRGNYR

A Leetch thread again?

He's not coming back, nor should he. The next time we see him in at MSG is to lift #2 to the rafters.

The end.

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 01:44 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Brian Leetch might may us slightly better now but does nothing for us long term. Let's think past tomorrow, guys.

Besides, there are no indications that Leetch is game ready, and I wouldn't want him to embarrass himself. Also, I don't want the team to embarrass him any further.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 02:17 PM
cringer

I don't think Leetch has any interest in playing for the Rangers. At least I've not heard anything substantial proving this.

To the contrary, I've heard that he would never return to the Rangers as long as Glen Sather was still around, but that's hearsay.

And as for his impact on this current Ranger team, I don't think it would be much. I'm as big a Leetch fan as anybody - but sorry to say he's well well beyond his prime.

If he does return to the NHL (on any team) he'll probably get hurt because that team will be seeking 26-28 minutes a game from Leetch and he does not have that left in his tank. That's more or less what happened in Boston.

cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 03:28 PM
brynulf

Leetch

Could not hurt... defense as is sucks... none of these clowns are playing to last seasons level. Watching Malik and the other orange cones like Rosie hurts. On the O throw out Hossa he really sucks... Sather must think it is the other Hossa allowing Renney to give him ice time.

THEHOCKEYBLOG.THE-SHORELINE.COM

brynulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 04:01 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brynulf View Post
Could not hurt... defense as is sucks... none of these clowns are playing to last seasons level. Watching Malik and the other orange cones like Rosie hurts. On the O throw out Hossa he really sucks... Sather must think it is the other Hossa allowing Renney to give him ice time.

THEHOCKEYBLOG.THE-SHORELINE.COM
The Defense:

Roszival actually has been steady this year. I must reserve myself from beating him down like last year.

Malik on the other hand has been a horrid shadow of what was half decent last year.

Tyutin has been inconsistent at times but i think hes been the best defensman on the team, along with being the most damaging to oncoming forwards.

Wards played tough, has helped Tyutin with some little things, but needs to do a better job himself.

Rachunek is so ******* inconsistent, more bad then good.

Kaspar hasnt been great.

Pock hasnt played enough, has been out of sorts here and there but at least he gets the puck to the net.

-----

Is there a need for an out-of-shape, 38 year old - second tour of duty Leetch? No.

Old
12-28-2006, 04:10 PM
shoeshine5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
The problem with the PP is that NOBODY SHOOTS THE PUCK.
I feel exactly the same. They're too concerned with setting up perfect plays and passes. Since that isn't working for them, they need to get more shots on goal and just crash the net.

Although I sure the fans would love the idea of Leetch coming back to be a blueshirt, we would probably be pretty dissapointed. He isn't the one solution to the Rangers almost non-existant defense. I would just like to see him retire a Ranger.

shoeshine5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 04:17 PM
shoothepuck

Can't wait for him to retire

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 08:17 PM
VEGASRANGERFAN

Looking at it now, It wouldn't have been such a bad idea if we signed him at the beginning of the season, but halfway through? no thanks.

VEGASRANGERFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 02:22 PM
bar down*

Send a message via AIM to bar down*
Leetch

Any new news on him? or has he just retired?

bar down* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Osminator

get outta here... Leetch... ha! who's next? Stemkowski? Maybe John Davidson backing up Lundqvist? Brad Park I heared goes skating once a week with his grandkids... he might be interested in a 8-year contract...

The Leetch thing is so sad... he was a force with great achievements 10 years ago... and not today...

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 04:06 PM
MrAlfie

if leetch is in game shape id take a flyer on him, he cant be worse than malik.
sign him and then let him retire in ranger blue its not like we will win the stanley cup this year with that coach and the current roster. so leetch wouldnt do much damage. actually i think hed be a great mentor for our young d-men. i hope hell be some sort of defensive coordinator for us.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote