HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What does your username mean?

Old
11-22-2013, 03:55 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
What does your username mean?

I put this up every couple years (I think '10 was the time of the last one), and I know the answer for most of the regulars that have been around as long as I have...

But we have an influx of new talent, as well as changes to old names... So I ask again:

What the hell does your username mean??

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 04:13 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Randomly thought of when I was registering for the forums on the old Buffalo Sabres site like 10 years ago...

It's the name of the Hugo's Pratt comic book/graphic novel character, Corto Maltese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corto_Maltese

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 04:13 AM
Wisent42

Wisent is a european buffalo. It seemed appropriate since I'm a Buffalo Sabres supporter in Europe. And 42 is the answer to life, the universe and everything according to Douglas Adams Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy and therefor the number I would wear if I was an athlete and not a tired father of two losing sleep over watching a lost cause get beat up every other night.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 04:57 AM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
well way back in 1996 when I first plugged in AOL (yep America Online), the idea of a user name was not a concept I was prepared for. When the screen popped up, I was dumbfounded but after several minutes of though, I came up with KRT88.

It's my initials and my high school graduation year. Later I was asked if I was a Hitler guy because 88 represents HH (hail Hilter - who knew?), and I have to say I was not happy about about that. Then people started asking me if I was a Eric Lindros fan, so perhaps the 88 part is something really wish I had have picked.

that's it, that's the meaning, nothing over revolutionary.

though I must say, this Chevy add at the top of this page is pissing me off as it has opened three time while writing this!

krt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 05:47 AM
Kyndig86

Kyndig means skilled one in Danish and 86 is just the year I was born. Kyndig was a nickname given to a character in a book who runs around dual wielding swords and is constantly trying to die gloriously in combat so that he may reach Valhalla (warriors heaven).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_of_the_Renshai

I thought Kyndig looked/sounded cool and everyone says I'm good at everything..so I thought it was fitting and have been using it ever since for forum names, online games and etc.

Kyndig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 05:53 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyndig86 View Post
Kyndig means skilled one in Danish and 86 is just the year I was born. Kyndig was a nickname given to a character in a book who runs around dual wielding swords and is constantly trying to die gloriously in combat so that he may reach Valhalla (warriors heaven).

I thought Kyndig looked/sounded cool and everyone says I'm good at everything..so I thought it was fitting and have been using it ever since for forum names, online games and etc.
"Everyone says I'm good at everything"

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 06:20 AM
joshjull

josh --> My son's name

Jull --> part of my wife's name with an extra L

Picked that name for my AOL account years ago and carried it over to here. This was before the madness of having my 3 daughters added to the family. If I picked a name now in honor of my daughters it would be either myheadhurts or helpme

Last edited by joshjull: 11-22-2013 at 07:04 AM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 06:37 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
I guess mine could mean "Bright fame [Robert], peace on [Pax on]" or "Steal from Paxon"

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 06:38 AM
static80

static80 = 80 is the year I met Danny Gare, he gave me a pair of his skates so I could play with the Wheatfield Blades up at the old Sabreland on N.F.Blvd., static is the name my coach called me because I would chirp alot on the ice.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 06:44 AM
CaptPantalones

CaptPantalones was a comic book character I came up with for a friend who drew comics in high school. It was basically a Spanish version of the Captain Underpants books. We did a short film with myself as the voice.

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 06:52 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Jim Bob is my redneck name as my given name is James Robert.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 06:59 AM
Gabrielor

DYaeger89 = name + favorite number

Gabrielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 07:05 AM
n49th
Rookie User

I live in Canada, which is north of the 49th parallel.

n49th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 07:28 AM
Crazy Tasty
HFBoards Sponsor

I am crazy tasty.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Lassa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyndig86 View Post

I have been wanting to ask you about this one, as it looks a bit odd to me.
Kyndig in Gotlandic means 'picky with your food', which seems to be am odd choice for a username.

Gotlandic is, of course, very closely related to Danish, (interesting slide of meaning of a word),and is the native tounge of Johan Larsson, and myself.

And that explains my name. Gotland, the island in the middle of the Baltic sea.

Lassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 07:38 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 54
I typically deflect any hint of personal ties in my user name with an avatar of the Archer character Woodhouse, as I'm your resident GDT valet. However, mine is actually derived from the French words 'maison' + 'bois' and then masked in their anglophone versions. 'Maison' (or house) is close to Mason, which is one of my names, while 'bois' (or wood) is taken from my wife's name.

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 07:40 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Verse Chorus Verse. I kind of liked Nirvana growing up.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 07:51 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Chainshot -- a variety of ammunition used to de-mast/de-rig opponents during the the age of sail. Ah, ESPN stupidity inspired by living in North Carolina... those were the days.

11-22-2013, 07:51 AM
LaxSabre

vCash: 8672
I found out about this website on a lacrosse message board and I was LaxBandit (Lax is short for Lacrosse - huge fan of the sport - Bandit because my favorite lacrosse team is the Buffalo Bandits) there so I just brought the name over here and since this is a hockey website and my favorite hockey team is the Buffalo Sabres - I changed Bandit to Sabre. Kept the Lax part as LaxSabre sounds better than HocSabre.

Last edited by LaxSabre: 11-22-2013 at 08:01 AM.
LaxSabre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxSabre View Post
I'm LaxBandit (Lax is short for Lacrosse - huge fan of the sport - Bandit because my team there is the Buffalo Bandits) on other boards/websites etc so I just brought the name over to here and changed Bandit to Sabre since this is a hockey website and my team there is the Buffalo Sabres. I kept the Lax part so people will know it is the same person from those boards/websites. Also LaxSabre sounds better than HocSabre.
I always thought it had something to do with the Los Angeles airport, "LAX". Glad to know what it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty View Post
I am crazy tasty.
Spam?

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Devo-2

Devo = nickname; I use to just be Devo way back when, but forgot my password and moved on with the "2".

Devo-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Squantosawuss

I used to be a member of another, much smaller Sabre forum. There was this one moderator named "Squanto" who was an absolute tool. A homer of the worst kind. You couldn't criticize the team much at all without this jerk getting down your throat---always quick with the threat of a ban if you dared argue back against him. He had lots of double standards, depending on the poster he was dealing with.

He was eventually run off the board, but I was gone due to one of his arbitrary bans long before that.

And so was born, "Squanto's a wuss".

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 08:13 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
I used to be a member of another, much smaller Sabre forum. There was this one moderator named "Squanto" who was an absolute tool. A homer of the worst kind. You couldn't criticize the team much at all without this jerk getting down your throat---always quick with the threat of a ban if you dared argue back against him. He had lots of double standards, depending on the poster he was dealing with.

He was eventually run off the board, but I was gone due to one of his arbitrary bans long before that.

I was a member of that site as well and completely agree with your assesment of that moderator. I have never returned to that board due to him specifically.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Kyndig86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotland View Post
I have been wanting to ask you about this one, as it looks a bit odd to me.
Kyndig in Gotlandic means 'picky with your food', which seems to be am odd choice for a username.

Gotlandic is, of course, very closely related to Danish, (interesting slide of meaning of a word),and is the native tounge of Johan Larsson, and myself.

And that explains my name. Gotland, the island in the middle of the Baltic sea.
Every other north germanic language I've looked up has the same meaning. I'm not sure how you guys got so off track?

Kyndig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 08:21 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post

You're telling me I could get someone to make their username "vcvsawuss" if I try?!

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote