HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate Problem

Old
11-22-2013, 08:38 AM
TLow97

vCash: 500
Skate Problem

I have a pair of Reebok 12K's. At the beginning of the season, I switched out the original laces for wax.

Is it normal for wax laces to change the fit of the skate? I'm debating taking them in for a second bake (1st bake came last Fall when I bought them... I'm also about 40 lbs lighter if that makes a difference).

TLow97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 08:40 AM
TieClark

No wax laces should feel pretty much the exact same as regular laces other than the fact that they're wax

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 09:53 AM
AIREAYE

lol

I don't get the problem?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Coachtdoig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLow97 View Post
I have a pair of Reebok 12K's. At the beginning of the season, I switched out the original laces for wax.

Is it normal for wax laces to change the fit of the skate? I'm debating taking them in for a second bake (1st bake came last Fall when I bought them... I'm also about 40 lbs lighter if that makes a difference).
One different that waxed laces will do is they will help to keep your skates tighter. When you have normal laces and you pull out to tighten the skate they will loosen a bit when you switch to tighten higher up in the skate. Waxed laces because of their texture have a tendency to bite a little bit more because of the wax.

That would be the only thing that I can think of that might change the fit or feel you are talking about.

Ciao,
TD

Coachtdoig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 10:58 AM
JoeCool16

Have you tried putting in the old laces and seeing if that changes the fit back? Wax laces shouldn't do anything permanent to them. They might make them seem a bit tighter because of what Coachtdoig suggests.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:00 AM
TLow97

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
lol

I don't get the problem?
Problem is my freaking feet hurt! Just wondering if it was me or if it's something anyone else experienced.

Quote:
One different that waxed laces will do is they will help to keep your skates tighter. When you have normal laces and you pull out to tighten the skate they will loosen a bit when you switch to tighten higher up in the skate. Waxed laces because of their texture have a tendency to bite a little bit more because of the wax.

That would be the only thing that I can think of that might change the fit or feel you are talking about.

Ciao,
TD
Thanks. I know this is probably a nit-picky detail for some, but foot pain/soreness sucks.

Quote:
Have you tried putting in the old laces and seeing if that changes the fit back? Wax laces shouldn't do anything permanent to them. They might make them seem a bit tighter because of what Coachtdoig suggests.
Old laces have been gone for some time--they were probably one or two tie-ups from being snapped.

Old
11-22-2013, 11:11 AM
AIREAYE

They hurt...ok.

Where? What type of pain?

Maybe you need to be more descriptive.

Old
11-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Stickchecked

I just switched to wax laces for the first time on one of my skates. You can't tighten them as hard. With regular laces, you'll pull hard because you know the lace will slip back a bit when you move to the next loop. With wax laces, they won't budge so don't pull as hard. I use significantly less force with the skate with wax laces.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Malarowski

I have the same issue (didn't until last skate) and used to have it waaaay back in the past.

It might be that the laces just tighten the bottom eyelets a bit too much causing distress. Waxed laces just hold their tension much more in place.

Switch back to normal laces and see if that helps. If you don't tighten your skate like crazy all the way, you may not even need waxed laces. I actually find them a bit annoying.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:29 AM
TLow97

Quote:
They hurt...ok.

Where? What type of pain?

Maybe you need to be more descriptive.
Sorry--I should say, just the left foot. Mainly the outside edge (maybe 0.5" in) but I've felt some swelling in an area on the top of the foot, about two inches from my ankle.

I suppose I have not been detailed because I am not necessarily looking for a diagnosis. The pain gets better with rest and ice.

Old
11-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Coachtdoig

Quote:
Sorry--I should say, just the left foot. Mainly the outside edge (maybe 0.5" in) but I've felt some swelling in an area on the top of the foot, about two inches from my ankle.

I suppose I have not been detailed because I am not necessarily looking for a diagnosis. The pain gets better with rest and ice.
It is pretty normal to have pain in your feet when breaking in new skates but if the skates were fine before you switched the laces then that can be the only diagnosis. I would like others have said, change back to the laces you were using before and everything should be fine. If that does not work you may have something in that foot that may need to be looked at.

Ciao,
TD

Old
11-22-2013, 12:29 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:

Likely made a difference.

Less weight = your feet won't be as thick.

snizzbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowNoMo View Post
Likely made a difference.

Less weight = your feet won't be as thick.
Any age limit for rebaking skates? My Graf 709s are 5 years old and I've lost 30-40 pounds since buying them.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:37 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
Any age limit for rebaking skates? My Graf 709s are 5 years old and I've lost 30-40 pounds since buying them.
No idea.

snizzbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:57 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
It very well could be just pains from breaking in skates. Also, I'm thinking if they worked before adding wax laces then maybe the wax laces don't loosen up like non-waxed so you never get the laces to loosen up into a tightness you like. Try not tying it so tight around the area that's effected. The first few eyelets starting at the toes don't need to be super tight. Try tying the lower portion so they're barely tight and see how that goes.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 08:46 AM
TLow97

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
It very well could be just pains from breaking in skates. Also, I'm thinking if they worked before adding wax laces then maybe the wax laces don't loosen up like non-waxed so you never get the laces to loosen up into a tightness you like. Try not tying it so tight around the area that's effected. The first few eyelets starting at the toes don't need to be super tight. Try tying the lower portion so they're barely tight and see how that goes.
This is exactly what I did last night. Tried to be more intentional about it, feeling for where the pain actually was. Let those eyelets breathe a little, tied the rest up as tight as possible. Felt significantly better. I might still try for another bake, but at least that helped.

Old
11-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Coachtdoig

Quote:
This is exactly what I did last night. Tried to be more intentional about it, feeling for where the pain actually was. Let those eyelets breathe a little, tied the rest up as tight as possible. Felt significantly better. I might still try for another bake, but at least that helped.
Good to hear TLow!

Another bake wouldn't hurt, try not to bake your skates more then 2-3 times though as it will start to break them down faster. Make sure when you do bake them that you tie them up as tight as you can get them, that will help them mold to your feet better.

Ciao,
TD

Old
11-25-2013, 12:34 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachtdoig View Post
Good to hear TLow!

Another bake wouldn't hurt, try not to bake your skates more then 2-3 times though as it will start to break them down faster. Make sure when you do bake them that you tie them up as tight as you can get them, that will help them mold to your feet better.

Ciao,
TD
Not necessarily, if you lace them really tight, it could squeeze your foot enough to tender the skate a little narrower than you would like. Best way would be to just lace them normally.

Old
11-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Coachtdoig

Quote:
Not necessarily, if you lace them really tight, it could squeeze your foot enough to tender the skate a little narrower than you would like. Best way would be to just lace them normally.
I should have made myself a little bit more clear, sorry. Don't tie them to the point that your toes are overlapping each other, which I thought was obvious .
A good way to do it is to put the skates on after baking them, stand up and tie them up as tight as you can while standing, you will obviously have to bend over to tie them up .

This way you will be in an athletic position with all of your weight pushed into your boot and your feet will be in a very similar position as when you are on the ice. This will help the boot mold to your feet in the position they are while you skate, with the pressure of your body through your feet.

I have baked and molded about 15-20 pairs of skates over the past 8-10 years and this method has never let me down.

Ciao,
TD

Old
11-25-2013, 05:00 PM
AIREAYE

No!!!

Do NOT stand up and tie them after the bake!

Everything is still hot and you run the risk of warping the boot and holder!

Old
11-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Wax laces will definitely hold the skate tighter. When you are using old cloth laces, there's a little bit of slippage while lacing them up. The wax doesn't slip as much, so they hold tighter.

If you lace them up tight at first, your feet will settle and swell a bit in warmups and you might get some pain. Solutions would be either loosening them up afterwards or what I do is just do them up on the looser side and tighten if need be.

For whatever reason, I find if my skates are too tight and I try to loosen them, I still have a bit of pain and cramping unless I take the skates and stretch and let them recover. But if the skates are a little loose, I can tighten them up no problem.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 08:02 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
This way you will be in an athletic position with all of your weight pushed into your boot and your feet will be in a very similar position as when you are on the ice. This will help the boot mold to your feet in the position they are while you skate, with the pressure of your body through your feet.
A safer way would to be to sit in a chair and plant your feet so your heels are lined up with your backside, not your thighs. Lean forward a little to put some pressure on them. Your feet and ankles will still be in the hockey stance without stressing them too much. When they're nice and hot they are somewhat fragile. You don't want to be exerting that much force on them.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:19 AM
Coachtdoig

Quote:
No!!!

Do NOT stand up and tie them after the bake!

Everything is still hot and you run the risk of warping the boot and holder!
I slightly disagree.

Standing up is fine while you tie your skates to get them to mold to your feet in that position, then sit down after they are laced up. You aren't going to warp your skates or your boot or the holders standing for 15 seconds - again I've played 5 years of Jr hockey and 4 years Professionally so I have broke in a few pairs of skates.

I didn't say stand up and walk around in them, I said stand up while you tie them. The shape of your foot is going to change when you put all of your weight while standing as opposed to sitting. We don't skate on 50% of our body weight, so don't mold your skates to your feet with 50% of your body weight - simple as that.

Ciao,
TD

Old
11-26-2013, 04:27 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
I slightly disagree.

Standing up is fine while you tie your skates to get them to mold to your feet in that position, then sit down after they are laced up. You aren't going to warp your skates or your boot or the holders standing for 15 seconds - again I've played 5 years of Jr hockey and 4 years Professionally so I have broke in a few pairs of skates.

I didn't say stand up and walk around in them, I said stand up while you tie them. The shape of your foot is going to change when you put all of your weight while standing as opposed to sitting. We don't skate on 50% of our body weight, so don't mold your skates to your feet with 50% of your body weight - simple as that.

Ciao,
TD
While I appreciate that, it has no bearing or weight in our discussion, yet you keep wanting to bring that up. You say that you've worked with about 15-20 pairs of skates over the past decade too? Well, skates have come a long way since then. On an average month in hockey season, I fit as many pairs of skates on as many different types of people as you have in the past decade, so let me draw upon that to provide some insight...

-High end skates react differently to heat than lower end models. You have composite boots and special foams now that react differently and more seriously to heat; the degree of which even varies between brands and types of construction.

-Lower end skates are built with softer outsoles and materials in general; and are thus more susceptible shocks.

-Heavier people putting their weight on hot skates are much more likely to warp and cut down on their integrity (even if you can't see it from the outside) than lighter people are; for obvious reasons.

-If you have a fitter hand-mold the skates, such as by squeezing out the sidewalls, compressing the ankles etc. you should have no problems with fit provided that the skate fits well in the first place.

-Higher end skates should be remoulded due to the difficulty of breaking them in and their stiffness; getting an initial bake, by now, is not only pretty much mandatory, but only a first step in breaking them in.

-Skates can be stretched and punched for more permanent fixes on width and pressure problems

Ultimately, while your logic in molding skates while standing is understandable, it should not ever be recommended to the general population because of the risk and the disparity between skates and between skaters, and the fact that you can accomplish the same thing with less riskier methods.

Old
11-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Malarowski

Just to give OP a glimmer of hope: I just switched back to regular laces and any pain ceased 100%. Skates feel great again like they used to.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote