HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to expect from Steve Mason?

Old
11-21-2013, 01:39 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 500
They're already in an Edmonton situation. They haven't made the playoffs in four years now and look like making it five.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 01:43 PM
MP92
G & V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Flyers fans are as eager to turn on Bobrovsky as Toronto fans are to turn on Luke Schenn.
I'll admit, it makes me happy to see Bob struggling. Not that I didn't like him when he was here, and not that I hate him now, but he's a division opponent now. I wish him nothing but the worst as far as on ice performance goes.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 01:44 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
They're already in an Edmonton situation. They haven't made the playoffs in four years now and look like making it five.
Well true..but season is still young. Bob could go on a tear again....although seems not as likely on both counts. They have some leadership deficiencies right now and need some vets. However, I think they will make the playoffs before Edmonton does...Edmonton is one big hot mess. Columbus has Kekalainen as a GM. He is a pretty competent guy compared to that crap in Edmonton with Lowe.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Very very content with our net minding ..... looks like the rest of them is finally coming around...

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Appleyard

The goalies and D are playing pretty damn well now.

6th in the NHL in EVGA/60 as a team.

6th in the NHL in EV SV%

11th in NHL for GA/G.

~28.5 SA /60 in the last 9 games... which is circa ~10 in the NHL.

PK could do with picking it back up though. On the cusp of top 5 until a few games ago... been pretty poor statistically since.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Hiesenberg

This team has turned into a really tough 5v5 team which is the complete opposite.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 12:42 PM
BillDineen

If Mason keeps it up, what does he resign for?

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 12:45 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
If Mason keeps it up, what does he resign for?
4 x 4 = not the truck... haha

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 09:54 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Mason's rebound control needs more polishing still.....otherwise happy with his play.

Old
01-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Devastate

His play has slipped over the last month and a half, but I'm still confident in his abilities

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Appleyard

Even though he dropped off for a while he seems to have been more back to normal over his last ~4 games.

His position in the NHL statistical rankings has been pretty static as well as other goalies with hot starts drop off as well.

.922SV% over 33 games this year.

8th in SV% with guys over 20 starts. He was 6th in terms of guys with ~50%+ starts when he was rolling with a .930.

Those figures mean he has saved 9 more goals so far this season that the NHL average goalie would have.

His SV% since joining the Flyers is still an excellent .926 as well over 40 games. Still the best of any Flyer goalie ever with more than 19 minutes played!

22-12-4 in 40 games with the Flyers now.

I am still surprised he only has one assist so far in his time with the Flyers... the guy probably has a top 5 pass on this team! Bryz somehow had 5 assists in 99 games.

The thing with Mason I believe is he has all the physical tools to play to a very high standard all of the time... great puck handling, lightning reflexes and insane mobility. Ofc that doe not mean he will, but one can hope.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 09:11 AM
Hiesenberg

Mason's SV% dropped from almost unsustainable to pretty good. He was .934 for a while. That's just not gonna stay like that all year. If he ends in the .920-.930 I'll be frickin pleased.

Old
01-09-2014, 10:38 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Even though he dropped off for a while he seems to have been more back to normal over his last ~4 games.

His position in the NHL statistical rankings has been pretty static as well as other goalies with hot starts drop off as well.

.922SV% over 33 games this year.

8th in SV% with guys over 20 starts. He was 6th in terms of guys with ~50%+ starts when he was rolling with a .930.

Those figures mean he has saved 9 more goals so far this season that the NHL average goalie would have.

His SV% since joining the Flyers is still an excellent .926 as well over 40 games. Still the best of any Flyer goalie ever with more than 19 minutes played!

22-12-4 in 40 games with the Flyers now.

I am still surprised he only has one assist so far in his time with the Flyers... the guy probably has a top 5 pass on this team! Bryz somehow had 5 assists in 99 games.

The thing with Mason I believe is he has all the physical tools to play to a very high standard all of the time... great puck handling, lightning reflexes and insane mobility. Ofc that doe not mean he will, but one can hope.
Ya but Bryz' assists came of his rebounds that would go off him and into the neutral zone lol

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHeartHockey31 View Post
Why does everyone think Masey isn't a good goalie?

Before he’d played and games for Philly last season, his career splits vs east teams [Philly's Conference] were a .920 SV%

His career SV% vs teams in our new metropolitan division is .922

Have you watched him play? Even in Columbus? He’s an amazing goaltender. Unfortunately where most goaltenders have 2-3 years in the AHL & then slowly become acclimated to the NHL as a backup goaltender playing against the leagues poor performing teams, he had to do all of his development [making mistakes & learning from them] on television, while being criticized for not being the city's savior. Even mistakes he's made as he learned to be more mature & would go unnoticed in the AHL are forever memorialized on YouTube.

Playing for the worst [statistically speaking] team in the league for his entire professional career likely wasn't what he'd expected to his NHL career to look like.
At some point that all sinks in & probably didn't have him look forward to playing. The media says he lost his confidence, but if you watch some of his later games in Columbus, it looks more like he lost his passion for the game.

While Philadelphia might be known for being hard on their goalies, I don't think there's much we could say / do here that he's not spent the last 4 years hearing. I think playing in a real hockey market with die hard fans in Philadelphia [And Raleigh, & Miami, & Tampa & just about every other arena they visit] is exactly what he needs to find his passion for the game and remember why he wanted to be an NHL goalie.

Did you watch how differently the Flyers played when he was in the net? When Bryzgalov-The-Terrible was there, we had 5 standing in front because they didn't think he'd be able to stop the puck instead of scoring goals at the other end. When Mason was in net, even the games we didn’t win, the team was still playing 100% better. They trusted Mason to his job & they went back to what they do best. Maybe he's won't find himself on the top half of the leaders board but between his helping the D with his puckhandling & the rest of the team confident he'll do his job, at least back to where we were two years ago — scoring more goals than the goalie lets in to win games — with less problems in the locker room.

And he's really bendy. Most goalies in the NHL end up making face down making snow angels when they try to do a split save or cover the post-to-post. Mason can stay upright in a full to-the-ice split with no five-hole.

And he's BIG. He's not just tall at 6’4”, he’s got 220lbs on his frame & when he’s pushing & shoving the other team's crease-crawlers away from the net, I’ve never seen them even try to push back. If you think about if he might just start taking the whole ‘Broad Street Bullies’ moniker to heart, with ‘Sugar Ray’ Emery & Ron Hextall giving him some tips, Philadelphia just might have itself a goalie fight this year. [I’m just trying to figure who his most likely combatant would end up being.]

And who doesn't love a goalie that can handle his stick? He's already got his first point as a Philadelphia Flyers. And during one of the games he played for us, he hit the puck so hard, even AFTER hitting the boards, he's still managed to end up icing the puck.

For now, let's just write off Columbus as the time he should have spent developing in the AHL, and consider his time in the orange & black as the real start of his NHL career?

This post was actually not too far off...

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 08:28 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Forgot about that poster..lol

love the Bryz The Terrible nickname ..lol

Old
03-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Hiesenberg

This weekend was proof that stats are incredibly hard to hold against goalies. Mason was far superior on Sunday than he was Saturday, yet Saturday's stats look amazing.

Overall, I think Mason, since now his sample size is pretty good, as a slightly above average goalie, with possible game stealing days.

I'm not saying he's going to, but he IS a goalie that you can ride to a cup championship, he has those skills and we have seen him bail out this team at times.

Old
03-17-2014, 09:42 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Above average goaltending is all you need to win a cup if the team around the goalie is good enough.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 11:00 AM
chupanibre
Registirad Uzer

Mason is definitely good enough for the Flyers, and can sometimes even be great when he's on form.

One things for sure, I like him a hell of a lot more than Doucher Ray Emery

chupanibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:53 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Still wish Mason would improve his rebound control...in the playoffs that has to be his focus if the Flyers make it.

He's good enough to take the Flyers through a round..possibly two but not sure beyond that. Right now I see shades of Biron in him which is good but not good enough if that is his ceiling.

One thing for sure..Bob and Columbus are really making things difficult...

Old
03-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Flyerfan4life

my only issue with Mason is his glovehand.

i swear either his glove is defective or to stiff.

he cant seem to catch n hold a puck to save his life.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 01:35 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
my only issue with Mason is his glovehand.

i swear either his glove is defective or to stiff.

he cant seem to catch n hold a puck to save his life.
Haha it's funny I said that before and was told Mason has no problems with his glove hand. I do still think that and agree with you.

Oh the irony.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 01:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Above average goaltending is all you need to win a cup if the team around the goalie is good enough.
My dad crucifies me whenever I tell him this, and it forces me to launch into an explanation about the importance of depth over relying on star players to carry the team instead, and how that's become even more important with the cap punishing teams for sinking a lot of money into a position that is incredibly one dimensional by its very nature.

He instead chooses to tell me I think nothing more than a pile of garbage is required to win. . Every time a goalie makes a good save he spouts "Oh, look. You don't think that's necessary." I'm positive I'm being trolled. I need mod status for real life.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 03-17-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 01:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
Haha it's funny I said that before and was told Mason has no problems with his glove hand. I do still think that and agree with you.

Oh the irony.
I think it's mostly lower shots, right? Wrist shot coming in high = easy catch. Lower? nope, that's bouncing either out of the glove or off the pads.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 01:48 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I think it's mostly lower shots, right? Wrist shot coming in high = easy catch. Lower? nope, that's bouncing either out of the glove or off the pads.
His rebound control has been suspect for awhile now. Although I'm not trying to make a big deal because he's playing pretty well with the assembled defense in front of him.

I am very intrigued to see how he plays in the playoffs (didn't jinx it, did I? ) considering he hasn't seen the playoffs since the blue jackets got swept by the red wings in 2009.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
His rebound control has been suspect for awhile now. Although I'm not trying to make a big deal because he's playing pretty well with the assembled defense in front of him.

I am very intrigued to see how he plays in the playoffs (didn't jinx it, did I? ) considering he hasn't seen the playoffs since the blue jackets got swept by the red wings in 2009.
I caught at times yesterday where he was doing well. Either swallowing the puck or directing it. There were some ugly ones though.