HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[DAL/CGY] Lane MacDermid to the Flames for a 2014 6th round pick

Old
11-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Flames rebuilder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
Wow, a Vancouver fan defending a Calgary trade. How far has Calgary fallen?

But seriously, this was it.

1 inch taller, 20 pounds lighter, 8 years younger and much cheaper than Jackman.

8 years younger, 20 pounds lighter, 1 inch taller Jackman who is paid less and probably plays defence a little better as well. He's been assigned to the farm team for now.
Burke is slowly building towards his vision of success with Calgary as he did with Toronto - a team that will be difficult to play against in all facets.
Yep, just another building block. Young and tough, if he can some day be an everyday 4th liner, it's a small price to pay. Definitely has Burke's stamp all over it, I like it.

Flames rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 01:16 PM
VanillaCoke

I can't help feel like Calgary is making a few really good moves. Might not seem like much but in the end they're gonna have a solid lineup.

VanillaCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 01:17 PM
duxfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PezRadar View Post
So.. Why didn't they grab him from waivers two days ago? Calgary, what?
So he can be sent down

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Vitto79

someone please explain why the Flames trade picks for guys on waivers?
MacDemrit and Russell

edit ohhhh wait so they can send to minors. Still stupid

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames rebuilder View Post
Yep, just another building block. Young and tough, if he can some day be an everyday 4th liner, it's a small price to pay. Definitely has Burke's stamp all over it, I like it.
I think he could be an everyday 4th liner right now. That's not saying a ton but he's not a bad player at all. No Stars fan is going to weep over losing him or anything, but he won't look horribly out of place at the NHL.

Captain Awesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
MacDermid is a good guy. I was sad when we gave him up in the Jagr deal and wanted us to pick him up on waivers, although that was a bit unrealistic. He had a couple of real good fights and played some good hockey, and he's very young.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Flames rebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I think he could be an everyday 4th liner right now. That's not saying a ton but he's not a bad player at all. No Stars fan is going to weep over losing him or anything, but he won't look horribly out of place at the NHL.
Looks like he'll never be a heavy weight but tenacious forechecker, hard hitting and a mean streak. Sounds like the kind of guy every player hates to play against. Fair assessment?

Flames rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 02:14 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Feaster explained trading for Russell as they didn't want to go to arbitration. And they wanted MacDermid because he had cleared waivers to go to the AHL. Seems like they wanted a backup in case McGrattan goes down but want to give someone (looks like Jones) a shot from the Heat.
I'm not a huge fan of Feaster and think he usually doesn't get the best value in his trades even if he gets what he is looking for (MacDermid as an example isn't worth a 4th imo read it wrong. they gave up a 6th), but he knows his way around the system.

They look like sloppy moves, and people jump on him, but I'm starting to think he doesn't get as much credit for the small things as he deserves.

Last edited by uncleben85: 11-22-2013 at 02:30 PM.
uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Trading for somoene they could've had for free? A Feaster special!
Fester is an idiot, but this allows them to send McDermid to the AHL without potentially losing him.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
MacDemrit and Russell

with Russell they wanted to avoid arbitration... Honestly i would do that russell trade 10/10 hes been solid for us this year and ATM hes worth more than what we trade him for

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 02:21 PM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
So that Jackman deal really was a precursor to a blockbuster.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 02:33 PM
sem1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
Oh noez the Flames are terrible because they traded for a guy on waivers! Oh noez!

Seriously, is hating on the Flames just second nature now? I'm sure Burke and Feaster know what they're doing more than a bunch of armchair posters on this board.
It's just funny to me how little some people on these boards know how about the way things actually work. Like some scrub with a username knows better then feaster and Burke. Sad

Like the two moves. Solid asset management

sem1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Senor Catface

This guy's name always make me think of saying Lanny Macdonald in that emrgeeerd voice.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:09 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
Oh noez the Flames are terrible because they traded for a guy on waivers! Oh noez!
It's odd. No one else has really traded for a guy who cleared waivers (Not counting Jokinen, as that one involved salary being retained) in the few months, but the Flames have done it twice.

Quote:
Seriously, is hating on the Flames just second nature now?
Not really, but you can understand the confusion in giving up an asset for a player who could have been had for free. Even after the explanation (That the Flames wanted the ability to move him freely from NHL to AHL without waivers), Flames are a rebuilding team and giving up picks (the currency of rebuilding teams) for a guy they could've had for free. Never mind that trading for a guy so that you can assign him to the AHL, doesn't sound like it's someone they have a lot of faith in.

Quote:
I'm sure Burke and Feaster know what they're doing more than a bunch of armchair posters on this board.
You're holding up Feaster as someone who "knows what he's doing" after he made an offer sheet on a guy who would have had to clear waivers to make the team?! Or Feaster the guy who traded Jarome Iginla to two different teams after not informing the first one that he would give Iginla the opportunity to choose where he wanted to go and telling them the deal was done?! I understand being defensive, but Feaster's recent track record has a few more question marks than most GMs, posters have every right to question him for the next little while.

11-22-2013, 03:26 PM
maplepred

Flames gotta stop with this big deals lol. BOOM!

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:44 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Feaster and think he usually doesn't get the best value in his trades even if he gets what he is looking for (MacDermid as an example isn't worth a 4th imo read it wrong. they gave up a 6th), but he knows his way around the system.

They look like sloppy moves, and people jump on him, but I'm starting to think he doesn't get as much credit for the small things as he deserves.
I would agree he is weak at getting good value but this move makes a lot of sense. We wanted to free up Jackman's spot but thought he would get claimed so we trade him and get his replacement (for essentially just Jackman) who can go the AHL. People just tend to be negative towards any move.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:51 PM
DBU
All You Can Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
You're holding up Feaster as someone who "knows what he's doing" after he made an offer sheet on a guy who would have had to clear waivers to make the team?! Or Feaster the guy who traded Jarome Iginla to two different teams after not informing the first one that he would give Iginla the opportunity to choose where he wanted to go and telling them the deal was done?! I understand being defensive, but Feaster's recent track record has a few more question marks than most GMs, posters have every right to question him for the next little while.
Please, I would never be so naive. Notice I mentioned Burke and Feaster as the same subject in my sentence.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 04:28 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Regarding the O'Reilly offer sheet, some sports law guy blogged about the fiasco a few days after the fact that the CBA favoured the Flames' interpretation of it rather than the interpretation of the third parties who lambasted the deal.

SmellOfVictory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PezRadar View Post
https://twitter.com/MikeHeika/status/403945379520995329

Calgary wants freedom to assign him to minors and call up when needed. Can't do that with waiver claims.

That explains that.
Explains Feasters thinking, but if he just cleared waivers a few days ago with no troubles it doesn't seem necessary to do things that way.

6th round pick vs a little extra security… For a rebuilding team I stick with the pick even if it's a late one.

Samwise Gagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 04:37 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
Feaster is just using the CBA to his advantage. He's actually being kind of smart. He traded for Russell to avoid Salary Arb., and he wanted to make room on the main club and though Jackman was expendable. He didn't want to sacrifice club depth though and knew sending Jackman to the AHL would put him at high risk claimed. Not wanting to lose their depth and not wanting to lose Jackman for nothing he traded. He then flipped and traded for a younger tough guy who had the ability to go down to the minors and keep that organizational depth.

Pretty good to me.

As for the ROR, he messed up. Simply put.
However this was right after a brand new CBA was put into effect and no fans or media knew ROR would have to be exposed to waivers for a couple of days after - I'm even pretty sure another GM came out and publicly said it was confusing, and he wasn't sure either. Feaster just took the risk.

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 04:55 PM
TrickRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
MacDemrit and Russell

Why? Do you honestly think that kind of freedom isn't worth something, or do you just like to dump on the Flames?

TrickRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Cool Hand Goof*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Trading for somoene they could've had for free? A Feaster special!
that means there was probably some loop whole were he could have lost him then

Cool Hand Goof* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 05:20 PM
flameaholic

Nothing wrong with adding some toughness. Solid depth move.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 06:20 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Basically Jackman for Macdermid. Works for me

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 07:34 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Baer View Post
Probably didn't want to give away our waiver position.
There's no such thing.

A team might have first dibs at a waived player numerous times in a row.

All they have to do is to be last in the standings.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote