HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No Negociations During Season: Should It Change?

Old
12-28-2006, 08:08 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
No Negociations During Season: Should It Change?

Bob Gainey has long stated that he wouldn't start negociating with his free agents during the season.

I see this as being dangerous, as it puts the Habs on a leveled playing field with the other teams when it comes to negociating with our outgoing free agents.

I would love to hear that ONE of our defensemen has been resigned for one or two years before the season ends.

Do you think the policy of having no negociations during the season should change?

Because we can't lose both Souray and Markov, there will not be anybody available to replace them.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 08:11 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Bob Gainey has long stated that he wouldn't start negociating with his free agents during the season.

I see this as being dangerous, as it puts the Habs on a leveled playing field with the other teams when it comes to negociating with our outgoing free agents.

I would love to hear that ONE of our defensemen has been resigned for one or two years before the season ends.

Do you think the policy of having no negociations during the season should change?

Because we can't lose both Souray and Markov, there will not be anybody available to replace them.
Erm, when did Gainey announce that? Koivu was given an extension during the year last year...

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 08:13 AM
VanNistelrooy

Gainey signed Koivu during the season, last year.

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 08:20 AM
SerialSeb

Last year Gainey signed Koivu to an extension during the season.

SerialSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Delat

He has so many defenseman to sign that waiting at the end of the season would just be stupid.

Delat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 08:43 AM
AH

We have six key free agents this season ...

(In order of importance)

Markov
Souray
Rivet
Bonk
Johnson
Arbischer

The only one expendable from that list is Aebischer. The rest need to be signed. Bob should start negotiating immediately in order to minimize his losses.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

In a lot of cases, management would like to have a level playing field and no distractions during the season. Hence at various times we hear about the no mid-season negotiations "policies". But I think that regardless of what GMs would ideally like to see, they are pretty much all going to have to accept the practical reality of the new cap world and the extensive budget planning aspect of it, and hence become more willing to balance the potential advantages of a mid-season negotiation.

I think it would be an obvious advantage to us if we had any of Rivet, Markov, or Souray re-signed ASAP, and I hope Gainey will at least be chatting with their agents in the weeks to come, even if those chats don't ultimately lead to serious negotiations (after all, the player has to be willing to talk too). We've said it here before, we could see Rivet or Markov being somewhat amenable to re-upping before hitting the open market. Souray probably not so much. But it never hurts to ask and sound them out on all the potentials in advance.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 09:16 AM
ngc_5128

I know every GM will not do any negotiations with players for extensions before Jan 1st, since any extension signed before then counts on this years cap, but any extensions signed after the 1st count for next years cap.

ngc_5128 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post

(In order of importance)

Markov
Souray
Rivet
Bonk
Johnson
Arbischer

The only one expendable from that list is Aebischer. The rest need to be signed. Bob should start negotiating immediately in order to minimize his losses.
IMO...the only must signs on that list are Andrei Markov and Mike Johnson.

The only reason i'm not putting Souray down is because he's pricing himself out of Montreal's budget. From what Souray said about the Habs resigining Markov, I can't see how he can turn around and ask for more then him. The key with resigning Souray IMO is the Habs signing Markov first ASAP, so they can set a market for Souray's worth. If Souray hits the open market in the offseason, forget about it!.

Craig Rivet
Radek Bonk

Those are two veterans I would be very weary of resigning if i'm Gainey, yes they are very important to the Habs team this year, next year they're both 1 year older with diminishing skills and they'll be looking to secure a 2 or 3 year contract, I think the Habs should look at internal promotions before. Rivet has essentially been pushed back due to the emergence of Komisarek, the Habs should walk away IMO.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 10:03 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post

Those are two veterans I would be very weary of resigning if i'm Gainey, yes they are very important to the Habs team this year, next year they're both 1 year older with diminishing skills and they'll be looking to secure a 2 or 3 year contract, I think the Habs should look at internal promotions before. Rivet has essentially been pushed back due to the emergence of Komisarek, the Habs should walk away IMO.
Rivet has a choice to make. Finish his career in Montreal at less than he could command on the market or move on. We have seen players taking less to play where they want, I think this will be the case. Gainey won't overpay for him to stay.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 10:19 AM
habsfan44

Quote:

(In order of importance)

Markov
Souray
Rivet
Bonk
Johnson
Arbischer

this team won't go down in a ball of flames without rivet !

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 10:26 AM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Rivet has a choice to make. Finish his career in Montreal at less than he could command on the market or move on. We have seen players taking less to play where they want, I think this will be the case. Gainey won't overpay for him to stay.
I agree. This team is so close to 'being there', I can't see Rivet walking away because of ego. The chance to win it all with Koivu is too attractive.

My gut tells me Souray is gone in the summer, the offers he'll get will just be too good to pass, can't blame him for cashing in.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 10:30 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
I agree. This team is so close to 'being there', I can't see Rivet walking away because of ego. The chance to win it all with Koivu is too attractive.

My gut tells me Souray is gone in the summer, the offers he'll get will just be too good to pass, can't blame him for cashing in.
Souray LOVES the atmosphere on this team, REALLY appreciates how the team stuck by him last year, and I think if we have success this year, he would want it to continue and he'd stay with a long-term deal in the $5M range.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 10:35 AM
emb24*

in a cap world hard decisions need to be made (heard that before?)

unfortunately D are at a premium so gainey will try to sign the big 3 if not 2 of them... then maybe he'll sign johnson or bonk...not both...i think there are variables but with the likes of lapierre and begin - bonk is disposable after this year

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 10:48 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
in a cap world hard decisions need to be made (heard that before?)

unfortunately D are at a premium so gainey will try to sign the big 3 if not 2 of them... then maybe he'll sign johnson or bonk...not both...i think there are variables but with the likes of lapierre and begin - bonk is disposable after this year
Though I like both of them, I think Bonk is more important to the team than Johnson.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:

(In order of importance)

Markov
Souray
Rivet
Bonk
Johnson
Arbischer

although I would love for that to happen, I highly doubt more than 3 or 4 players from that list get re-signed. You have to keep in mind we also have to sign Higgins, Komisarek, Ryder, Plekanec, Perezhogin, and I think Kosty has to be re-signed, though I doubt he'll get much.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
although I would love for that to happen, I highly doubt more than 3 or 4 players from that list get re-signed. You have to keep in mind we also have to sign Higgins, Komisarek, Ryder, Plekanec, Perezhogin, and I think Kosty has to be re-signed, though I doubt he'll get much.
Unfortunately, Andrei's contract does not expire this summer. It would actually be better for us if it did, because then we could offer him around $600K to get a one-way deal. Instead, we'll have to bare his cap hit of $872K if he makes the team, as it is the final year of his contract.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 02:22 PM
GoHabsGO252006

He never said that and second I believe that the NHL ammended that rule last year.

Teams can re-sign players to extensions after January first with the extension not affecting the players cap hit for the current season. This only applies however to newly negotiated contracts and not contracts that were previously negotiated with an option year.

Therefore I would not be surprised to see Markov signed shortly after January. Perhaps a deal similar to Kaberle. I'm thinking 5 years 23 Million.

On another note I was very surprised to hear that on Tsn Yesterday they were speculating Sourray could get 6 M per season. WOW, I love the guy and his D has been muchimproved since early in the year but 6M.

I think we should be able to sign Markov and Sourray for 10M max. Then we'll be set for a while.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

I would offer Rivet a 4 year - 10 million dollar contract before the season ends. I am afraid if Rivet gets to UFA status another team will offer him much more, like McKee got last year. However, Rivet may sign cheaper where it would give him a chance to finish his career in Montreal, alongside his buddy Koivu. He may also see we are on the verge of something great here where as he went somewhere like St.Louis he would not win for several years

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Duster

I think BG has no choice but to ask Souray and Markov's agents for a ball park figure come January, or at least, prior to the deadine. This may not necessarily mean contract negotiations start in earnest but it will give him an idea budget wise.

I don't see either of them giving a hometown discount. This is a business and both are likely the top defensemen available this summer.

Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 06:21 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
Erm, when did Gainey announce that? Koivu was given an extension during the year last year...
Gainey said it a few times. And specificaly mentionned it about this year. But Gainey is not dumb. Expect the unexpected.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 06:26 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006 View Post
He never said that and second I believe that the NHL ammended that rule last year.

Teams can re-sign players to extensions after January first with the extension not affecting the players cap hit for the current season. This only applies however to newly negotiated contracts and not contracts that were previously negotiated with an option year.

Therefore I would not be surprised to see Markov signed shortly after January. Perhaps a deal similar to Kaberle. I'm thinking 5 years 23 Million.

On another note I was very surprised to hear that on Tsn Yesterday they were speculating Sourray could get 6 M per season. WOW, I love the guy and his D has been muchimproved since early in the year but 6M.

I think we should be able to sign Markov and Sourray for 10M max. Then we'll be set for a while.
Wrong...He did say that.

Old
12-28-2006, 06:32 PM
GoHabsGO252006

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Wrong...He did say that.
If he did I clearly do not remember reading that or seeing it anywhere. Do you happen to have a link handy?

I do remember other teams stating that but not Gainey or the Habs organization.

I especially think that Gainey will try to get Markov under contract, given his great friendship with Ovechkin and the Caps ample cap room and need for help on the blueline I'd be afraid of losing him.

If we remember Sourray's statement from not long ago, it certainly implied that Gainey will be talking extensions rather than waiting till the year end.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 06:39 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006 View Post
If he did I clearly do not remember reading that or seeing it anywhere. Do you happen to have a link handy?

I do remember other teams stating that but not Gainey or the Habs organization.

I especially think that Gainey will try to get Markov under contract, given his great friendship with Ovechkin and the Caps ample cap room and need for help on the blueline I'd be afraid of losing him.

If we remember Sourray's statement from not long ago, it certainly implied that Gainey will be talking extensions rather than waiting till the year end.
I've tried finding a link but Havent had any luck. But I clearly remember him giving that reply to RDS before the start of the season when they brought up the question of all the players without contracts at the end of the year.

Old
12-28-2006, 07:22 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I've tried finding a link but Havent had any luck. But I clearly remember him giving that reply to RDS before the start of the season when they brought up the question of all the players without contracts at the end of the year.
Maybe he only said it to keep the press off his back to sign players til the offseason

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote