HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your Meeting-A-Pro Story

Old
11-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Ice Poutine
I like thoup-Lindros

vCash: 500
Actually i met like 10 or 12 NHL guys purely by chance. Hell i went out of my place once and i almost cut off a guy so i said "sorry" to Bouillon... Met Rod Gilbert in NYC at a marathon dinner given for canadian running citizens. He stayed with us about half an hour since we were the only French speakers there and he told us "Christ ca fait du bien d'entendre sacrer en Quebecois!!" A very nice guy too. Left with us to go home.

Another time i'm In a club i'm just standing there at the bar when Rod Langway just comes up casually to a girl next to me and tells her "Hi, i'm Rod Langway" to wich she takes his hand off her ass and tells him "Who cares" and goes off leaving me with a smile i qickly erased as Langway saw i had heard it all and was smiling at him. He was NOT smiling at me. I slowly sauntered away from him...

Another time i am in the warm tent at the Carnaval de Quebec sitting on an empty table thats unused. These two guys in the pic come up to me since this is the table they were going to sign autographs at... just a lucky guy i guess.

Last edited by Ice Poutine: 11-22-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Habsfan18

Having attended Bob Hartley's hockey camp for 2 years in the early 00's, I met a few pros. Joe Sakic (had breakfast with him), Marc-Andre Fleury, Dany Heatley, Francis Bouillon, Martin Lapointe, Denis Hamel, and Bob Hartey and Michel Therrien.

Sakic was one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet in your life. Actually came up to me and shook my hand. Just a super nice guy.

Bouillon actually put a dent in one of the goaltenders helmet with a slapshot. We all thought it was hilarious.

Denis Hamel looked like Mario Lemieux himself while doing some skating drills. Keep in mind it was just a practice setting and we were all kids/teens but man I remember how impressed we all were.

Therrien was pretty stand-offish. Could have just been shy, I don't know.

Marc-Andre Fleury (who was still a kid himself - only 18) was really awkward and would constantly giggle like a little girl. Friendly though.

And Dany Heatley. My impression of him was that he was a top grade POS. Just really arrogant and clearly didn't want to be there signing hockey cards and all that fun stuff. Gave the impression that he was too good to be involved with the camp and I have a feeling being there wasn't his 1st (or 2nd, or 3rd) choice. It was actually 1 week before the big car accident.

11-22-2013, 02:51 PM
GeoStride87

I posted thread when the habs came to Calgary this season

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...617&highlight=

GeoStride87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 02:52 PM
NH57
That's Right Coach T

Unfortunately I've never met anyone on the Habs but I've met:

- Jason Spezza
- Claude Giroux
- Michael Del Zotto
- Brayden Schenn
- Tyler Bozak
- James Reimer
- Clarke MacArthur
- Devante Smith-Pelley
- Entire 2013-14 Sarnia Sting Roster

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:12 PM
SouthernHab
Go Habs Go!

Living in the Southern United States, I do not have the opportunity to randomly run into NHL players. Dallas is too far away from me.

However, I did have the privilege to meet and hang out with our esteemed GM, Marc Bergevin.

It was in the summer of 1996. My wife and I went to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico for our vacation. We were there for a week. One night, we (along with friends that we made while there) went to a bar called "The Giggling Marlin".

This establishment is known for its fine tequilla and the various ways that you can drink said tequilla (you can even do tequilla shots hanging upside down next to a Marlin with a rod and reel )

After several drinks, I see Marc in the bar and told my wife he's a hockey player for the Red Wings. I proceeded to walk over and told him that he looked like Marc Bergevin. He laughed and we stood around for about an hour talking hockey (he hated Claude Lemieux ) and doing tequilla shots. I will say that the man had a way with the ladies.

I did get autographs from Matt Kassian and Anton Khudobin. I went to an ECHL game in Louisiana and they were playing for the Texas Wildcatters, a farm club for the Houston Aeros/Minnesota Wild. Kassian was big then also.

Other than those, I have nothing.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:25 PM
BRAD HABSFAN

My wife and I were walking up Guy I think and I saw this man that I thought was Jean Beliveau. I said to my wife--there is your hero. She said nope not him.. I go up to introduce myself to him and to tell him thanks and my wife tries to sneak around him. I said my wife is a huge fan and he said come here young lady.. shook her hand, met his wife and kicked myself for not having my camera. [cell phone didnt have it back then]. A perfect gentleman, told him we were from Jersey and huge Habs fans.

Also met Cam Neely at Roots on Ste Catherines

BRAD HABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Buckstabu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Met Carbo years ago, during his playing days, a serious snob...
Met PK at Eggspectations last year, while up for Superbowl Weekend, what a great guy!!
On parle pas d'hockey jten vacance

Buckstabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 04:47 PM
DaNaultinus
The Human Fund Donor

vCash: 50
Met Carey Price back when he played for Hamilton. He was getting interviewed after a Moose game in Winnipeg, and my dad, brother and I went to say hi afterwords. Totally fistbumped him.

DaNaultinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

At various times I've met or bumped into:

Guy Lafleur - at the airport, chatted with him and got his autograph. THAT was wicked.
Kirk Muller - on a plane, then in the bathroom at the airport (get your mind out of the gutter) he was a good guy
Eric Lindros - at a bar, literally bumped into him - crazy story behind this that I won't go into here.
Lanny McDonald - didn't care to talk to him
Darryl Sittler - see Lanny McDonald
Allan Bester - On the subway - He said 'hi'. Nice guy.
The Philadelphia Flyers altogether going into a restaurant in London - including Pronger and Briere (didn't bother stopping any of them either.)
Bobby Smith - Le Cage au Sport in Pierrefonds back in '88... saw him but didn't get to meet. That was kind of cool 'cause I was still a kid at the time and he was a big star.

Bonus points: I met Andre Dawson and got his autograph on Andre Dawson bobblehead day at the Big O.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 11-22-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Runner77

vCash: 3310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

Guy Lafleur - at the airport, chatted with him and got his autograph. THAT was wicked.
I met Lafleur in the early 90s, he was a guest of someone at an office where I had just started working. When the guy shakes your hand, you realize how much strength and grip he's got (had a similar reaction when I met Jacques Plante at a celebrity supper). I didn't get to chat with Lafleur, but he was very cordial and friendly.

As an aside, if you caught Lafleur on Le Match this week, he had interesting comments about how teammates used to resolve internal conflicts. He said that there would always be a post-game supper and whoever had a beef, would be urged to wash his dirty laundry in front of everyone -- it was dealt with on the spot and everyone moved on. He said that this type of cohesiveness and closeness began withering on account of a large influx of Europeans in the league.

He also mentioned how most of the players would spend their summers in Montreal, basically not hiding from fans. He said the only player to leave at the time was Mats Naslund, who used to spend 25% of his time in Sweden and the rest in Montreal.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 05:19 PM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
I met Lafleur in the early 90s, he was a guest of someone at an office where I had just started working. When the guy shakes your hand, you realize how much strength and grip he's got (had a similar reaction when I met Jacques Plante at a celebrity supper). I didn't get to chat with Lafleur, but he was very cordial and friendly.
Funny that you mention this... yes, he had a very powerful grip. I remember that. He was also a lot bigger than I expected him to be.

When I met him he was 'hiding' in a corner of the airport that was under contstuction. I made a wrong turn down a corridor and saw a guy sitting by himself in an empty closed area. I looked at him, made eye contact with him and mouthed 'are you...' and he nodded his head and put his finger to his lips as if to say 'shh'. I asked if I could come get his autograph and he motioned yes.

I mentioned this in one of the threads recently but I went over to him, and we talked hockey. At the time Chris Higgins was up and coming and my favourite and I asked him his opinion. "He's a very good player."

Got his autograph, thanked him and then let him be. But he was definitely a lot taller and stronger than I expected he would be. Guy seems to be in very good shape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
As an aside, if you caught Lafleur on Le Match this week, he had interesting comments about how teammates used to resolve internal conflicts. He said that there would always be a post-game supper and whoever had a beef, would be urged to wash his dirty laundry in front of everyone -- it was dealt with on the spot and everyone moved on. He said that this type of cohesiveness and closeness began withering on account of a large influx of Europeans in the league.

He also mentioned how most of the players would spend their summers in Montreal, basically not hiding from fans. He said the only player to leave at the time was Mats Naslund, who used to spend 25% of his time in Sweden and the rest in Montreal.
Well 100% of the people out there now have cel phones. It must be strange living in a fishbowl. And let's face it, the Habs used to have a lot more local players because there was more local players to be had.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 05:35 PM
Runner77

vCash: 3310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Funny that you mention this... yes, he had a very powerful grip. I remember that. He was also a lot bigger than I expected him to be.

When I met him he was 'hiding' in a corner of the airport that was under contstuction. I made a wrong turn down a corridor and saw a guy sitting by himself in an empty closed area. I looked at him, made eye contact with him and mouthed 'are you...' and he nodded his head and put his finger to his lips as if to say 'shh'. I asked if I could come get his autograph and he motioned yes.
True enough, on TV he didn't look as tall. Kind of funny how you bumped into him. I guess a celeb also wants his down time and even if it was obvious that he wanted some privacy, he obliged. Just reaffirms how altruistic he is and how much of a rare thing it is.

Reminds of another story. Ken Dryden's wife was one of my teachers (they weren't married at the time) and when I found out she was dating him, she offered to have me speak to him over the phone one evening. He was incredibly gracious (and patient) with the kid in awe that I was. Sometimes we harp on the negative stuff and it has its place in certain contexts but all of it pales in comparison to the acts of kindness some of us are fortunate to have experienced, as outlined in this thread.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 05:54 PM
GordonGraham

Ill juts post my most random one

During the off season took the airport shuttle for the dorval hilton to the airport with Jocelyn Thibault and stephane robidas.

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote