HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos thread meet Devon Bailey Eskimo Latest draft pick

Old
11-19-2013, 09:37 AM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
He took a one win Cal team and won 5 bowl games with them compiling an 82-57 record

He has significant CFL experience

That has to be deemed somewhat of an "A" candidate..no?
It's a big risk no?

When Montreal brought in Trestman they had a core group of Cavillo, Flores, Anwar Stewart, etc....guys that have been through multiple grey cup games.

For us to bring in an "outsider" with our situation has disaster written all over it.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Langsdorf you would think will be interviewed

What about June Jones or one of his coordinators? I believe they are all CFL guys

Also doesn't the Alabama OC have CFL ties?
Langsdorf is the oc under Mike Riley at Oregon State, was brought into the CFL by Don Matthews and coached the Esks Wr's and QB's for a number of years. He was a coach while Hervey was playing for the Esks. He has some good connections to great former CFL coaches, probably good connections down south re players and knows the CFL. I'd like to see him on the list at the very least.

I thought about Jones but he must be getting up there in age and after coaching in places like Hawaii he may not want to come back up to the great white north.

Nussmeir (sp?) is the Bama oc. He has former CFL connections but I doubt he would be interested in the job. Bama oc is one step away from a head coaching gig with another college team.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
It's a big risk no?

When Montreal brought in Trestman they had a core group of Cavillo, Flores, Anwar Stewart, etc....guys that have been through multiple grey cup games.

For us to bring in an "outsider" with our situation has disaster written all over it.
Tedford has had plenty of CFL experience as player and a coach, Trestman has none.

Old
11-19-2013, 09:58 AM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Tedford has had plenty of CFL experience as player and a coach, Trestman has none.
I think Tedford is a marshamallow dream

Did you see what he was paid at Cal, plus he has made overtures to being interested in the USC job though it sounds like interest isn't reciprocated

Still if a guy thinks he's USC head coach material it might be difficult for him to envision himself HC in a CFL program

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 10:12 AM
Beerfish

Quote:

Did you see what he was paid at Cal, plus he has made overtures to being interested in the USC job though it sounds like interest isn't reciprocated

Still if a guy thinks he's USC head coach material it might be difficult for him to envision himself HC in a CFL program
Oh I agree, he is probably out of our price range but I hope the Eskimos are at least being diligent enough to ask some of these candidates.

Old
11-19-2013, 10:19 AM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Tedford hasn't been in the CFL since 1991. Seriously brah.

Let's hire John Gregory....he has plenty of CFL experience.

Old
11-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Tedford hasn't been in the CFL since 1991. Seriously brah.

Let's hire John Gregory....he has plenty of CFL experience.
Don't be a total ass. From what I've seen in various threads your football acumen approaches zero.

Old
11-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:

Tedford thinks he's in the running for the USC job? Yeah...I don't see that happening.

Realistically most recognizable names are going to be out of our price range, unless they're recognizable for some iffy reasons. Even OC's and DC's at major programs are probably getting paid more than CFL head coaches in most cases.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 06:19 PM
HockeyOrDie
Hockey Hockey Hockey

Don't know if anyone saw this but:

"REGINA — The Edmonton Eskimos have found their next head coach.

Sources confirmed to sportsnet.ca that Toronto Argonauts defensive coordinator Chris Jones has been offered the top job in Edmonton. Jones, who has three Grey Cup championships on his resume as a defensive assistant, has been seeking a head coaching job in the CFL for a number of years."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl...-coaching-job/

HockeyOrDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyOrDie View Post
Don't know if anyone saw this but:

"REGINA The Edmonton Eskimos have found their next head coach.

Sources confirmed to sportsnet.ca that Toronto Argonauts defensive coordinator Chris Jones has been offered the top job in Edmonton. Jones, who has three Grey Cup championships on his resume as a defensive assistant, has been seeking a head coaching job in the CFL for a number of years."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl...-coaching-job/
This is gold. Hopefully he takes it.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 08:17 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Don't be a total ass. From what I've seen in various threads your football acumen approaches zero.
Can't bring facts to the table so you resort to name calling and personal attacks. Good work.

Old
11-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

What about the CFL eh. Grey cup weekend and no love lost?

c'mon, anybody talking about the game?

Looks like a classic, should be great weather, and two teams who neither will piss me of if they win.

Winner is the CFL for sure. Raking it in in Regina. Merchandise sales through the roof, all tickets of course sold, Team venues charging as much as 40bucks to get into the parties, and the whole province buzzed.

What a difference from the pathetic atmosphere and response in Toronto.

Old
11-22-2013, 08:43 PM
HockeyOrDie
Hockey Hockey Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Looks like a classic, should be great weather, and two teams who neither will piss me of if they win.

Winner is the CFL for sure. Raking it in in Regina. Merchandise sales through the roof, all tickets of course sold, Team venues charging as much as 40bucks to get into the parties, and the whole province buzzed.

Unfortunately I won't be able to watch the game but I wish I could. I thought they were entertaining games last week.

Regarding the Esks, that article above lists LaPolice, Barrett and Campbell as the others that were on the shortlist...what's the thought regarding Hervey's choice compared to those guys?

HockeyOrDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 08:47 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:

Pretty lukewarm about the game. I figure Frank is going to show up instead of Hank and the Riders will clean them up.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
Quote:

A classic? No. Think it's going to be a boring game... hopefully with the Cats winning.

Won't be watching anyway. Broncos-Pats in primetime will have my full and undivided attention. Even if the Esks were in it, don't know if I would be watching.

Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyOrDie View Post
Unfortunately I won't be able to watch the game but I wish I could. I thought they were entertaining games last week.

Regarding the Esks, that article above lists LaPolice, Barrett and Campbell as the others that were on the shortlist...what's the thought regarding Hervey's choice compared to those guys?
Nobody here wanted Campbell, a lot of people were high on LaPolice and I don't know I heard anything about Barrett. For me its Jones or LaPolice.

Agreed that they were good games last week. Riders played Smashmouth football in a classic playoff win. That was awesome. If that was the Esks winning like that people wouldn't stop talking about it. Of course I loved the Ticats beating the Argos. Nice comeback win.

Old
11-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Pretty lukewarm about the game. I figure Frank is going to show up instead of Hank and the Riders will clean them up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
A classic? No. Think it's going to be a boring game... hopefully with the Cats winning.

Won't be watching anyway. Broncos-Pats in primetime will have my full and undivided attention. Even if the Esks were in it, don't know if I would be watching.
jebus You guys are Canadiana challenged..

revoke the passports..

Its the GREY CUP!!!!!

Old
11-22-2013, 11:21 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1275
Quote:
Can't bring facts to the table so you resort to name calling and personal attacks. Good work.
in his defense, you have made some comments about football that makes us question if you ever watch the game.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

Quote:
Oh I agree, he is probably out of our price range but I hope the Eskimos are at least being diligent enough to ask some of these candidates.
lol @ Edmonton being diligent.

we're more likely to hear a story of how they identified their candidate early and he wow them in the interview. then it will turn out they didn't actually interview anyone else

Old
11-22-2013, 11:29 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
Quote:
jebus You guys are Canadiana challenged..

revoke the passports..

Its the GREY CUP!!!!!
I hope it snows at least. What's the forecast? I remember, was it 1996 where we lost to Toronto? That game was like a winter wonderland... always makes for exciting football. I just despise the Riders (mostly their fanbase) and can't stand to see them possibly win it at home.

Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:31 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

Quote:

used to like the riders until they and their fans became ******-bags about5-7 years ago or thereabouts.
now they are my most hated team after Calgary.

go Hamilton!

one thing I will mention is I finally was able to buy grey cup pool tickets.
I didn't find anyone who was selling them the previous couple of years.

Old
11-23-2013, 12:56 AM
Stats01

Argos fan here, congrats on the new hire. Jones will be a fantastic head coach and has been trying to get a head coaching gig for the past several years, really happy he's finally getting his shot. He's an intense guy and he will do wonders for your defence. Not a very happy two weeks being an Argo fan, losing last weekend in the East Final and now losing our D-Coordinator.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 06:53 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
I hope it snows at least. What's the forecast? I remember, was it 1996 where we lost to Toronto? That game was like a winter wonderland... always makes for exciting football. I just despise the Riders (mostly their fanbase) and can't stand to see them possibly win it at home.
ARGOOOSSS!!!!!!!!! yep 1996, Ivor Wynne stadium in the home of the enemy from these parts of the woods. It was a winter wonderland, what a game that was, nobody was stopping Flutie and the gang!

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 09:27 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

which was the esks game where the refs gave flutie a first down despite the fact he actually fumbled the ball?
that one still rankles a bit.

Old
11-23-2013, 09:58 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
which was the esks game where the refs gave flutie a first down despite the fact he actually fumbled the ball?
that one still rankles a bit.
That was 1996. Jake Ireland blew that call completely. That game also saw the Eddie Brown miracle catch, if you remember it. He dropped it along the sidelines but it went off his lower leg and he directed it back up for the catch and a resulting TD.

Too bad it was marred by a huge blow call. That play was well short, as evidenced by replay. Thanks for reminding me.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote