HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2013, 11:14 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
And suddenly, Reway is only 2 pts away from Poirier..

Old
11-22-2013, 11:27 PM
FazChenyuk

Reway seems to have great playmaking skills and stickhandling too. He looks to have great hockey sense and above average skating, only knock seems size. Im tired of the size issue. Gregoire seems to have decent size though. Any comparison to Gregoire's style? Does he play any similar to Patrice Bergeron?

Old
11-22-2013, 11:42 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
And suddenly, Reway is only 2 pts away from Poirier..
Reway has been carrying the offense in Gatineau. He has 17 pts in 7 games in November while Poirier has 9 pts.

Old
11-23-2013, 12:11 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Pretty hilarious how we don't even talk about McCarron at this point. Huge disappointment this far.

Old
11-23-2013, 12:21 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Pretty hilarious how we don't even talk about McCarron at this point. Huge disappointment this far.
Sincerely, Im not even desapointed, I wasnt expecting much from him offensively this year.. He is playing on a stacked team and is still very very raw.. Im gonna get a bit worried if his production doesnt go up at this point of the year next season, but for now Im just happy to hear reports on him adjusting and playing the right way..

Old
11-23-2013, 12:21 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
I never understood the hype towards Hudon especially this year. Guy is a PPG player at 19 in the Q.
He's very similar to Dumont in size and style and Dumont was able to produce at a 1.5 PPG pace in the Q in his last season.

I'm sorry I just don't see Hudon with the Habs in the future. He might be called up on occasion but he'll be good for Hamilton. I hope I'm wrong though.

I'm way more intrigued in a guy like Reway tbh. Yes, he's small but he might be the second most skilled guy in the organization after Galchenyuk.
Hudon doesn't play with Sean Couturier though. He's the dynamo offensively, unlike Dumont, who was set up by best playmaker in the 'Q.

Old
11-23-2013, 12:25 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazChenyuk View Post
Reway seems to have great playmaking skills and stickhandling too. He looks to have great hockey sense and above average skating, only knock seems size. Im tired of the size issue. Gregoire seems to have decent size though. Any comparison to Gregoire's style? Does he play any similar to Patrice Bergeron?
Similar, but he doesn't have the same offensive potential. Bergeron is more cerebral, Grégoire is a bulldozer.

Bergeron is more talented.

Old
11-23-2013, 12:30 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Sincerely, Im not even desapointed, I wasnt expecting much from him offensively this year.. He is playing on a stacked team and is still very very raw.. Im gonna get a bit worried if his production doesnt go up at this point of the year next season, but for now Im just happy to hear reports on him adjusting and playing the right way..
The stacked team angle is an excuse. Usually playing on a stacked team means inflated production. It's a miserable start no matter how you slice it. We were all hoping for PPG production this season, and at this rate he'll be lucky to crack 30.

Old
11-23-2013, 12:50 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
The stacked team angle is an excuse. Usually playing on a stacked team means inflated production. It's a miserable start no matter how you slice it. We were all hoping for PPG production this season, and at this rate he'll be lucky to crack 30.
The kid is a project, we all knew it, a very nice project but still but a project.. I will be extremmely happy if he develops in a very strong third line winger, a pain to face night after night for our opponents, think of a bigger Brandon Prust, thats at least my personal expectations..

Old
11-23-2013, 02:25 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Similar, but he doesn't have the same offensive potential. Bergeron is more cerebral, Grégoire is a bulldozer.

Bergeron is more talented.
Is he that physical? Love what I'm hearing. Pretty unreal for a 6th rounder.

Old
11-23-2013, 02:36 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Hudon did that with Dauphin suspended, they needed to step it up and he did. Good stuff.

Fucale with 2 goals allowed on 27 shots in another win. 3rd straight solid game, seems to be back on track.

Caught a few minutes of the Spitfires game on Sportsnet, saw 2 of Vail's assists. He looked solid, Bournival-esque I would say. They were playing a Guelph team that was scoring 5 goals a game on average and limited them to 2, no doubt Vail had a huge part in that.

Turns out That has the video up.

When I saw Vail play on TV last year I kind of saw him as a mix between Bournival and LL. Faster than LL but not as fast as Bournival. Less skilled than LL but moreso than Bournival. Now mind you that was based on my impressions of the Bournival of last year.

I was surprised that he had better puck skills than I was expecting. He's got the size, speed and defensive acumen to be a solid bottom 6er who could possibly be called upon in the top 6 if injuries occur.

Old
11-23-2013, 05:11 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazChenyuk View Post
Dustin Brown is the style I would compare Gregoire to. Not saying he will be as good a player, but a guy that drives hard in the corners and in front of the net and has the skill to finish the chances he gets.

Old
11-23-2013, 05:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
He is a project though, aand he is playing on a stacked team so he often plays 3rd line not with the top guys nor on the PP. London is one of the more stacked CHL teams.

Old
11-23-2013, 05:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Hudon doesn't play with Sean Couturier though. He's the dynamo offensively, unlike Dumont, who was set up by best playmaker in the 'Q.
Hudon, if he is traded to a team like Halifax, BC, BBA or Rimouski would tear it up at 2 PPGM with good players. The 4th leading scorer on Chicoutimi has 16 points in 27 games.

Old
11-23-2013, 05:33 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
When I saw Vail play on TV last year I kind of saw him as a mix between Bournival and LL. Faster than LL but not as fast as Bournival. Less skilled than LL but moreso than Bournival. Now mind you that was based on my impressions of the Bournival of last year.

I was surprised that he had better puck skills than I was expecting. He's got the size, speed and defensive acumen to be a solid bottom 6er who could possibly be called upon in the top 6 if injuries occur.
I was expecting a lot from Vail and his start of the year was disastrous. He has the skills and talent to be a factor in a US team and clearly played his way out unless....they reconsider based on what we're seeing now. At least he's making a case out of himself at this point.

Old
11-23-2013, 05:39 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
The kid is a project, we all knew it, a very nice project but still but a project.. I will be extremmely happy if he develops in a very strong third line winger, a pain to face night after night for our opponents, think of a bigger Brandon Prust, thats at least my personal expectations..
All that being said, it is dissapointing to see. Worst stats of the first 2 rounds in 2013, other players also have to go through a 1st year of something, quite a few guys needed to make the jump in the NCAA and do very well. Is the OHL tougher than the NCAA? Well clearly, McCarron is affected by the number of games so in the end, I guess he's have it easier in the NCAA but then, they often play 2 games in 2 nights. Then comes the level of play.....and I guess it depends of who you talk to. I think that NCAA players are way older.....but possible that depth is not THAT great depending who you are playing.

So everybody knows he's a project. But in the 1st round, people wanted Keith Primeau..not Turner Stevenson. Still ways to go...would be neat if he'd turn it around this year but at the very least, next year..he'll have to turn it around. If not...bust word will come out....and that will not be far from reality.

London is a stacked team....but he was suppose to be part of the team being stacked. It makes no sense to me that a big guy like that isn't used on the PP. If not...it has to mean that there is something wrong this year for sure. Your biggest guy, and one of the bigger guys in the whole league, just that trait along should make you play on powerplays. Let's hope he succeeds in doing it this year.Hunter should go at the Therrien school of coaching...where sending an unsuccesful player on the PP to get his confidence going....

Old
11-23-2013, 08:48 AM
zzoo

So far, it seems that the middle picks (Reway, Gregoire, Vail, etc.) have outproduced the top picks (McCarron, Collberg) by far.

Old
11-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Well, I think we do talk about him a lot. Even in this thread! It's totally fair to be "disappointed" so far... but I think we mostly have a reasonable perspective despite that disappointment. I was much more disappointed with my early viewings of Tinordi, and he panned out just fine despite that sluggish start and disappointment, so I'm tempering my disappointment with McCarron somewhat. He doesn't have quite the same baggage in terms of being a trade-up target, but it's still a pretty similar situation overall.

Hartman was about the only player I was pulling for with the pick, and I was so happy with the picks after, that it also mitigates the disappointment to me. It's a "draft fan" perspective to look at it that way, but hey, we're draft fans, right? I watched McCarron pretty closely in the one game I saw him live this year, and I really thought he was doing some good things and going to the right places, I may have an active imagination, but I can imagine it won't take a huge adjustment for him to start converting a little more and start moving up in our estimation. I don't take my "disappointment" with McCarron's start thus far too seriously. It's a pretty mild form of disappointment, because I'm satisfied with all the rationalizations surrounding it.

Old
11-23-2013, 09:07 AM
Habbadasher

Vail

I saw Vail a few weeks ago, and he played quite defensively, this despite him being third highest in points on the team, and not playing with the two above him.

A friend of mine who has season tickets tells me he is playing much more offensively since then.

Old
11-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Well, I think we do talk about him a lot. Even in this thread! It's totally fair to be "disappointed" so far... but I think we mostly have a reasonable perspective despite that disappointment. I was much more disappointed with my early viewings of Tinordi, and he panned out just fine despite that sluggish start and disappointment, so I'm tempering my disappointment with McCarron somewhat. He doesn't have quite the same baggage in terms of being a trade-up target, but it's still a pretty similar situation overall.
I also believe that the dissapointment was build based on how great we thought he looked in NHL preseason games...and now he has all the trouble in the world at the junior level. While it's 2 different worlds, 2 different ballgames and all, people are looking at it this way. Add being a 1st round pick that was not really suppose to happen etc. Like you said, totally understandable. Doesn't mean a whole lot as far as if he's going to pan out or not....we'll have a better indication of that next year. I talked about Turner Stevenson at one point (yes, I know McCarron has a MUCH better hockey sense...), but even him while he had 27 points in his 1st year, he was a PPG in his 2nd. So EVEN a great 2nd season won't mean he'd pan out....but it will CLEARLY reassure us....

Old
11-23-2013, 09:10 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Are you well? McCarron has been discussed more on this board than any other prospect since the draft.

What's really hilarious is the number of posters who've not watched him play that look at his stats and declare him as a huge disappointment.

Old
11-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Habbadasher

Mac Bennett

I saw Michigan play last night, Bennett was the captain in every sense of the word. He led the team in the pre-game huddle/cheer, he led the the offense from the back-end, he carried the puck along the boards up the ice, he fought hard against Niagara in his own end. His skating allowed him to lead the attack, and come back on defense.

The guy seems to have character and skill, in spades. He was not as flashy as PK can be, but he had a very good game.

Old
11-23-2013, 09:19 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
I saw Michigan play last night, Bennett was the captain in every sense of the word. He led the team in the pre-game huddle/cheer, he led the the offense from the back-end, he carried the puck along the boards up the ice, he fought hard against Niagara in his own end. His skating allowed him to lead the attack, and come back on defense.

The guy seems to have character and skill, in spades. He was not as flashy as PK can be, but he had a very good game.
Great thanks. Didn't see my fav NCAA team play all year so far....I intend to catch a couple of games from them soon.

Old
11-23-2013, 09:21 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
All that matters is points in your world I see. Some folks before the season (evidently you included) were insistent on predicting point totals for him..and espoused how he would need to get a point per game or he would be bust material. I said then that such thoughts were ridiculous, and I'm saying it now. Never mind that he's 6-5, is physical, screens the opposing goalie all of the time (and often doesn't get a point in the process), played a dozen games with an injury...all you can do is look at the stats..that's all that matters no 'matter how you slice it'.

A stacked team is a stacked team....no matter how YOU slice it. McCarron is a rookie OHLer who's never played Canadian hockey - the Hunters have a bevy of veteran forwards that took them to the Memorial Cup final last year...of course they are going to play their vets in key situations, and McCarron..just like Tinordi before him..will be brought along slowly.

Look at Zadorov last season. He played a secondary role for the first half of the season on a stacked blueline..just like Mac he was a 6-5 OHL rookie and he needed to adapt and wasn't thrown to the wolves. Look at Zadorov now in the OHL - less than a year later he's dominant.

For the umpteenth time - patience!!!! Let's look at where McCarron is at the end of next season.

Old
11-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
So far, it seems that the middle picks (Reway, Gregoire, Vail, etc.) have outproduced the top picks (McCarron, Collberg) by far.
I'd love to see what Collberg could do while playing against kids his own age in the Q or the OHL...like those guys you mentioned are doing. But hey, you've had an anti-Collberg campaign going for awhile, why stop now.

Closed Thread